X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos Sign QB: Nick Stevens, Colorado State

Link: http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...5-2078c18b6a1d

Details:

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. —The Broncos added another quarterback to their roster Thursday when they signed college free agent Nick Stevens.

Stevens, who set the mark for career touchdown passes at Colorado State, previously accepted invitations to a pair of rookie minicamps in Green Bay and Washington, but he signed a deal in Denver.

He joins Case Keenum, Paxton Lynch and Chad Kelly in the Broncos’ quarterback room.

As a senior at Colorado State, Stevens completed 61.9 percent of his passes for 3,804 yards and 29 touchdowns. He led the Mountain West Conference in 2017 in passing touchdowns, passing yards, total yards and completion percentage.

Stats don't wow me but I find it odd that we sign a local QB instead of a positional player. Wonder if this means anything? I suppose that last season in PS we went in with 4 QBs. The issue was that we cut bait with a guy who was looking great. I wonder if Lynch might be on the trading block?

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post

Details:

Stats don't wow me but I find it odd that we sign a local QB instead of a positional player. Wonder if this means anything? I suppose that last season in PS we went in with 4 QBs. The issue was that we cut bait with a guy who was looking great. I wonder if Lynch might be on the trading block?
    Isn't Wyoming in the MWC? Guess he put up better stats than Josh Allen.
    :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
    sigpic

Comment

Details:

I wouldn't read anything into it. It's nothing more than a camp body. It means nothing towards Lynch's status on the team. Stevens will not be on the roster come September.

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
      Isn't Wyoming in the MWC? Guess he put up better stats than Josh Allen.
      Yes they are. And yes just another reason why I think Josh Allen is the biggest bust qb coming since probably EJ Manual. Wyoming and CSU are on equal terms as far as talent around them. Sure CSU had Michael Gallup that was a high WR draft pick. But the rest of the roster is comparable to Wyomings. CSU even lost to Wyoming 16-13 last year so you could argue Wyoming had slightly better talent. It was at Wyoming though so maybe not.
      sigpic

Comment

Curious, as they said they were going with the 3 QBs that we had and weren't looking to add an additional QB.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
          Curious, as they said they were going with the 3 QBs that we had and weren't looking to add an additional QB.
          It's a camp body. The number you go into camp with can be much larger than the amount you go into your final 53 with. It never hurts to add extra competition in camp.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
            Lowell Lotulelei decided not to play, so there was an opening on the TC roster. Maybe they decided that the ten D-Linemen left was enough for TC/preseason.

Having an extra arm will actually free Paxton Lynch and Chad Kelly from some of the more mundane throwing duties such as DB drills. Denver has twenty-five eligible receivers in TC, so that's a lot of guys to catch passes in receiving drills, not to mention 2nd and 3rd team O.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
              Lowell Lotulelei decided not to play, so there was an opening on the TC roster. Maybe they decided that the ten D-Linemen left was enough for TC/preseason.

Having an extra arm will actually free Paxton Lynch and Chad Kelly from some of the more mundane throwing duties such as DB drills. Denver has twenty-five eligible receivers in TC, so that's a lot of guys to catch passes in receiving drills, not to mention 2nd and 3rd team O.
              Right but for guys like Kelly and even Lynch for that matter there will likely be 1 guy from that group who could push for a roster spot and I'd expect that we could see at least 1-2 WR's on a PS this year. Getting that chemistry and for Lynch & Kelly - IM would be important. We also find ourselves in a similar position to that of TS last season. While Keenum was good last season he hasn't been spectacular thus far. So we may well keep 3 QBs on the 53.

Comment

Right but for guys like Kelly and even Lynch for that matter there will likely be 1 guy from that group who could push for a roster spot and I'd expect that we could see at least 1-2 WR's on a PS this year. Getting that chemistry and for Lynch & Kelly - IM would be important. We also find ourselves in a similar position to that of TS last season. While Keenum was good last season he hasn't been spectacular thus far. So we may well keep 3 QBs on the 53.
                What do you mean by 'thus far' and how do you know he was not spectacular? Were you at Dove Valley this Spring? Seriously, how do you know this?
                sigpic

Comment

I expect the coach's and front office have more faith in Keenum and believe he is better than just Good. Another arm during camp has been seen as a need, at least seems as it is.

Comment

After some discussion we have come up with a new Tradition ? Maybe ?

Last year they brought in a QB from UNC, Kyle Sloter and he had the spotlight during pre season. He took advantage and was signed by Minnesota.

This year we have another local talent, CSU;s Nick Stevens. He is another arm, not expected to make the 53, but they will have film, go for it Nick !

Comment

Yep, we've got our Kyle Sloter figure for this season. Everything shaping up for a classic Denver Broncos training camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                        What do you mean by 'thus far' and how do you know he was not spectacular? Were you at Dove Valley this Spring? Seriously, how do you know this?
                        I was referring to his career:

Pre 2017:

Games: 2
                        TD: 2
                        Comp %: 58.4
                        INT: 2
                        Yards: 435

Games: 6
                        TD: 4
                        Comp %: 60.8
                        INT: 1
                        Yards:828

TD: 9
                        Comp %: 60.9
                        INT: 11
                        Yards: 2201

TD: 22
                        Comp %: 67.6
                        INT: 7
                        Yards: 3547

IF you were to compare the 2016 year say of Trevor to Case:

TS Below Case Above:
                        TD(CK): 9
                        TD (TS):18
                        COMP %(CK):60.9
                        Comp % (TS): 59.5
                        INT(CK): 11
                        INT(TS): 10
                        Yards(CK): 2201
                        Yards(TS): 3401

AVG's:
                        YPG: 242.9 (TS) vs 220.1 (CK)
                        TD-INT: 1.8 (TS) vs. .81 (CK)

So no I was not THERE for anything at Dove Valley. That said the stats show that just one year before Case's career high season he was slightly worse than our own QB that same year. Just like when we saw hope for Trevor the following year looking for improvement (and he failed) we may need to re-adjust what COULD happen or MIGHT happen with Case. So much has been made of his accomplishments last season (they were great) but it was just one season. This season hasn't started yet. What I do remember is that our GM after having a young QB slaughter the pre-season let him go and he left for another team. We then proceeded to struggle at the QB position nearly all season long. As a fan base we'd be rather naive to think that the same thing which occurred in 2017 for us could not repeat...as a fan i'd like Case to kill it but it is possible he doesnt

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                          I wouldn't read anything into it. It's nothing more than a camp body. It means nothing towards Lynch's status on the team. Stevens will not be on the roster come September.

Yes they are. And yes just another reason why I think Josh Allen is the biggest bust qb coming since probably EJ Manual. Wyoming and CSU are on equal terms as far as talent around them. Sure CSU had Michael Gallup that was a high WR draft pick. But the rest of the roster is comparable to Wyomings. CSU even lost to Wyoming 16-13 last year so you could argue Wyoming had slightly better talent. It was at Wyoming though so maybe not.
                          just because they are in the same division doesn't mean teh talents comparaible. CSU had better talent then Wyo and its not even close. with out allen Wyo is probably 1 or 2 win team. he had no supporting cast what so ever.
                          sigpic
                          oakland raders gm
                          latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                            And yes just another reason why I think Josh Allen is the biggest bust qb coming since probably EJ Manual.
                            Paxton Lynch says "hi".

EDIT: I forgot to mention Johnny Manziel, who came 1 year after Manuel and already is out of the league.
                            Last edited by -Rod-; 05-18-2018, 12:13 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                              just because they are in the same division doesn't mean teh talents comparaible. CSU had better talent then Wyo and its not even close. with out allen Wyo is probably 1 or 2 win team. he had no supporting cast what so ever.
                              Ok you bring up a fair point so I decided to go look at recruiting rankings to see if what you say is true. According to Scout.com

2015 recruiting class
                              Wyoming 113
                              CSU 119

2016 recruiting class
                              CSU 76
                              Wyoming 116

2017 recruiting class
                              CSU 73
                              Wyoming 99

So the past two years you are right that Colorado state was a good bit higher in talent. But it's not like Nick Stevens was out there balling with insanely superior talent. Like I said yesterday outside of Gallup Stevens played with well below average players. And technically the oldest players Josh Allen would've been playing with are from the first recruiting class I looked up in 2015 where they were slightly ahead of CSU. Granted I don't follow CSU close enough to know how many of those freshmen and sophomores from the past two years played but I don't think it was many.

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                              Paxton Lynch says "hi".

EDIT: I forgot to mention Johnny Manziel, who came 1 year after Manuel and already is out of the league.
                              Ok fair point. I don't count Lynch for two reasons. 1 I don't consider late first round QB busts as big of a bust as mid to high round. So I don't consider him a bigger disappointment than EJ Manual who was not only mid round but also the first QB off the board in his class. Second even though it's highly doubtful Lynch could still develop into something.

I did forget about Manziel though. Probably a bigger bust than Manual.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X