First overall CFL pick, receiver Mark Chapman going to Denver Broncos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First overall CFL pick, receiver Mark Chapman going to Denver Broncos

I saw this and am glad someone posted it. I also read he is hoping to make the Practice Squad which left me impressed at what a talent gap there is between the NFL and the CFL as the Number 1 pick of the CFL is hoping to make an NFL practice squad. Surely there has to be a spot for him.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
      I saw this and am glad someone posted it. I also read he is hoping to make the Practice Squad which left me impressed at what a talent gap there is between the NFL and the CFL as the Number 1 pick of the CFL is hoping to make an NFL practice squad. Surely there has to be a spot for him.
      The draft is exclusively for Canadian-born athletes or players able to obtain “non-import” or national status. American born players are not eligible for this draft and must be signed via free agency.

Somth first overall pick part of this news... is click bait, lol.

We don’t make our football players like our hockey players.
      sigpic

Comment

His middle name isn't David is it?
        Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
          His middle name isn't David is it?
          I think it's "Harvey".
          sigpic

Comment

After watching a bit of him he looks like a 'maybe' for the slot. I'd like to see Sanders move to the inside this year because I think he'd be deadly there but grabbing some potential depth can't hurt. It's the time of the year to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
              I think it's "Harvey".
              Oh, good. We're safe.

Comment

I wonder what the learning curve is from the CFL to the NFL.
                Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                  As mentioned it's a non-import draft. And the reason he wants to make an NFL practice squad is that the minimum payment is $7,600 per week. Whereas a first year CFL player will make between $54,000-60,000 CDN for the season.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                    You mean the rules....or the adjustment to the higher level game? Lots of CFL players have done very well in The NFL, but they were primarily Americans and/or US College players, including Canadians who played south of the border....who therefore knew the rules very well.

And if it's rules and/or the game itself, many, many Americans seem to make the adjustment fairly smoothly from The NFL to The CFL.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                      He hasn't played a down in the CFL. Here are his stats from his time at CMU:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...chapman-2.html

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                        The draft is exclusively for Canadian-born athletes or players able to obtain “non-import” or national status. American born players are not eligible for this draft and must be signed via free agency.

Somth first overall pick part of this news... is click bait, lol.

We don’t make our football players like our hockey players.
                        I am not so sure. The issue we have here is that due to our winter months we have placed a premium on hockey instead of Football. Orlando Franklin grew up in Scarborough and IMO played with heart a grit that I attribute to many Canadian hockey players.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                          I am not so sure. The issue we have here is that due to our winter months we have placed a premium on hockey instead of Football. Orlando Franklin grew up in Scarborough and IMO played with heart a grit that I attribute to many Canadian hockey players.
                          With a total population less than the state of California....to be the best hockey nation on the planet, and to have quality players in the NBA, MLB, NFL, PGA, soccer, curling and so on.....is about all you can hope for. You sooner or later become "thin" in some sports.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                            With a total population less than the state of California....to be the best hockey nation on the planet, and to have quality players in the NBA, MLB, NFL, PGA, soccer, curling and so on.....is about all you can hope for. You sooner or later become "thin" in some sports.
                            I would typically agree but the same type of person who plays hockey would likely also play football. Or lacrosse for example.

Ultimately our stadiums here are not football they are hockey arenas. In fact it was the only reason I played Rugby. Football simply was not an option for me where I lived.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                              I would typically agree but the same type of person who plays hockey would likely also play football. Or lacrosse for example.

Ultimately our stadiums here are not football they are hockey arenas. In fact it was the only reason I played Rugby. Football simply was not an option for me where I lived.
                              Ok....but I do think football was available for most here, and that hockey is more suitable to good canuck athletes. All in all, we have a load of professional athletes, and the obvious pull is hockey, partly because of climate and clearly as a result of our evolution in the sport. My initial point was that, spread over all sports, we have good representation in pro sports, from a numbers perspective.

But I understand your point. You need the facilities to foster the right environment for success at a high level.
                              Last edited by CanDB; 07-29-2018, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X