X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.J. Johnson Signed by Broncos After LB Was Acquitted of 2015 Rape Charge

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...15-rape-charge

Article:

The Denver Broncos signed linebacker A.J. Johnson after he was acquitted of a 2015 rape charge.

Kyle Fredrickson of the Denver Post reported the news and shared a statement from Broncos president of football operations John Elway:

"A.J. hasn't had the opportunity to play football for the last three years while resolving a serious legal matter. We've had several conversations with him since he's been cleared and have become very familiar with his background and character. Our organization is confident A.J. is ready to move forward and resume his playing career."

I just watched an entire game film session on Johnson vs Florida. He is held as a star LB for Tennessee but I watched a guy that looked a lot like our own Brandon Marshall. Always found himself chasing instead of being in front of the play and stopping it before it progressed. He had some really good plays but it seemed more bad than good. I'm no professional scout by any means but he seemed slow and just a step behind.

On the other hand he looks the part and from what I watched he is already better than Davis so......meh

Comment

Draft Profile:

Strengths
      One of just four players in Tennessee history to accumulate 400 career tackles. Reads keys and responds. Doesn't usually overreact to play-fakes. Gives consistent effort and gets the defense lined up. Consistent tackler with a closing burst to the ball. Takes good angles to the ball and doesn't run under blocks. Recognizes screen passes and flows to the action. Sifts through trash at his feet and avoids it. Can be used as a blitzer and is a core special-teams player.

Weaknesses
      Linear body and plays upright in space. Long strider -- takes time to hit his top gear. Average lateral movement and has sluggish foot movement in confined spaces. Technique falters while scraping down the line to play the run. Will get shoulders turned and lose leverage against second-level blocks. Doesn't feature a quick trigger mechanism in his hips. Hand usage needs improvement. Offensive linemen get into his body too easily. Was suspended by Tennessee near the end of the season after he was alleged to have been involved in the rape of a 19-year-old student and was indicted by a grand jury on two counts of aggravated rape in February.

Draft Projection
      Priority free agent

Bottom Line
      His production will jump off the page, but Johnson isn't the high-impact player his tackle numbers might suggest. With average lateral movement and limited twitch, Johnson can be an NFL starter, but is unlikely to be a standout at any point. Off-the-field issues must be monitored as they could sink his draft stock.

Comment

Good to see justice won out. It's a shame 3 years of his life was stolen. I hope he comes in and kicks butt!

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/201...os-linebacker/

Comment

I remember being high on him before the legal issues came up. After 3 years away, I’m not sure how he can bounce back but at least he’s getting an opportunity

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
              Well hopefully his trainer kept him in competing shape.
              2014/2015 Adopt-A-Bronco : TJ Ward - GO DUCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by ChupaThingy View Post
                I believe he sad he worked as a trainer....

Comment

Cant even imagine going from feeling the lowest of low to the highest of highs...good luck to the kid!
                  Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                    I remember being high on him before the legal issues came up. After 3 years away, I’m not sure how he can bounce back but at least he’s getting an opportunity
                    Hopefully doing the MMA training he did a lot of footwork. Also, you'd think it should help him shed blocks. I think after long periods off of football, the 2 things that suffer are: 1) footspeed and 2) recognition/perception

Those are the two things that really involve practicing/playing the sport consistently. Hopefully he can pick it all up quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                      I believe he sad he worked as a trainer....
                      Ah, you are correct. Regardless, I’m slightly worried about how good of football shape he is in. I’d like to see another potential star come in and have a legit shot at making the roster as an ILB.
                      2014/2015 Adopt-A-Bronco : TJ Ward - GO DUCKS!

Comment

Ah, you are correct. Regardless, I’m slightly worried about how good of football shape he is in. I’d like to see another potential star come in and have a legit shot at making the roster as an ILB.
                        Well as a trainer and as a "rookie" he will obviously need to get back to proper football shape. that said any vet that they bring in or UDFA they bring in will need to get back into football shape anyways. Given this guys athleticism and legitimate potential coming out of college I am a huge fan of this signing. Only because the rape charges were proven false. If a young player like this can work out for us then we will have some legitimate cap relief for the next few years. It could also allow us to cut Marshall (who is paid highly) or potentially even cut Davis. Either way even if we keep all three of those guys one of Davis & Marshall are bound to get hurt this season. If this guy can step up and play at their level (or better) then that is great for us. If this guy does not work out as a starter for us then so be it. We really didn't lose much or anything by bringing him here. The reward FAR FAR FAR outweighs the risk.

Comment

I meant to post a tweet. Lol

Comment

It's possible we draft someone next year again, at least for depth. I wouldn't expect Johnson to make much of an impact at all until late in the season if he did. The good thing is his body is healthy and hasn't taken the beating over the last few years like other players his age have.
                            :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X