Nfl article: broncos have best linebackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can ~
    I would rate our own group higher if they were better at coverage. I tend to agree with Rod about seperating edge rushers from linebackers
    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Nice to read a positive article regarding the Broncos, and I would agree if we were talking edge rushers, having Von Miller and Bradley Chubb on your team would warrant being called a top tandem, especially with halfway solid backups in Barrett and Ray. However a list of best linebacking teams that includes a group with starting inside guys like Brandon Marshall and Todd Davis is comical.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        I'll take Wesseling's interpretation. For the NFL.com folks to take our side is not about biases or anything other than merit, in this case. What's not to like overall? Admittedly, I am not an expert on whether or not our ILBs are top tier types, but Von and Chubb, and Ray, should be able to generate a load of pass rush. And our inside guys have gained tons of experience, and no doubt, have earned their jobs here.

The exciting news is that with this force in the middle (and edges), we can expect pressure, and hopefully a more stout run D. And with those two aspects of the game comes high performance D and potential for many turnovers.
        If I may I have a few issues with the analysis of the players we have on our team as well as some of the details in your response.

1. Marshall has been hurt for a number of years now and we have seen him get burned repeatedly against TE's running right up the middle/. seam against us. In fact, I'm guessing here but it does stand to reason, one of the reasons why we likely KEPT Alexander on our team is with the hope that he overtakes Marshall's spot on our roster. So if an ILB cannot cover a RB or a TE then what good is he in the new NFL?

2. Davis. Last season he showed some improvements in the coverage side of things. That said he is known for more of his run stopping then his pass coverage.

3. Ray - he has been hurt perhaps even more than Marshall has been. This is not a good look for a guy who had one good looking season and then has gone MIA. Can he bounce back and look good again? Can he even stay healthy?

4. Barrett- IMO one of the few bright spots in the depth on our team. The only issue is that despite Von getting doubled he still struggled last season getting to the QB. Some of that was our defense not covering and allowing middle of the field plays but some of that was him just not getting there.

Now above and beyond all of that I also think that our CBs this year will be NOTICEABLY worse. Roby while he has looked OK has not come in and played up to a level of say Talib or CHJ. While I understand that is a tall order it is what we need in our CB's to win in a division like our with a scheme like ours. Why do you ask well it is simple - Woods is a disciple of Wade's. Who does Wade now have as his #1 and #2 CBs - Peters & Talib....Man-to-Man cover guys. Woods while he doesn't play exactly like Phillips does has many of those same concepts. If we cannot lock down the WRs on the outside then our ILBs and Safeties will be forced to soften their interior coverage. Their already not great at that....so I am concerned....but we shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
          Some analysts like Mike Mayock are already doing it, but I wish more people would separate off-the-ball linebackers from edge rushers. Players like Khalil Mack and Von Miller should be treated like defensive ends as edge players. Mack actually played DE for the Raiders. Draft analysts are even using the "EDGE" designation now. With Brandon Marshall and Todd Davis, we want to see them moving backwards and be able to change direction and cover a TE. With Von Miller and Bradley Chubb, we want to see them moving forward to get pressures, sacks and TFL.
          That would make sense if that's all we asked Von to do. But it's not. Miller is far more versatile than Aldon Smith who was just an edge rusher. We ask him to drop back and cover people quite often. Which is what a linebacker does not a DE. Von Miller plays OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Though we may be transitioning out of that. But he is still going to be asked to do a lot of the same things as before. Everything you mentioned but still drop several times a game. Sure it's way less pass coverage than Brandon Marshall but he's not an MLB.
          sigpic

Comment

I honestly think our defense can be as dominant as our Super Bowl winning defense.

It probably will not as that is a special once in a "nfl generation" thing but the potential is there.

Our ILBs are weaker but imo our DT is better.

Our OLBs have an odd mixture of less experience but more young talent. Same goes with our secondary....less experience but more young talent.

I think the forgotten guy in a lot of analysis is DeMarcus Walker. I do not think him and Gotsis will be better than Malik was but I do think the combo of Wolfe+Pecko+Gotsis+Walker can be as productive or even more productive then the top 4 DL we had that year.

To me honestly the biggest question mark is coaching. I seriously doubt the defensive coaching we have now can match what we had back in that year. I am not sure if those same coaches could match the magic they pulled off that year.

The fact we are even having this conversation should excite people though
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I would say that the article is jumping the gun a bit. We currently have no idea how Chubb will do. They are calling him a game wrecker without him playing a single snap in the regular season.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                I would say that the article is jumping the gun a bit. We currently have no idea how Chubb will do. They are calling him a game wrecker without him playing a single snap in the regular season.
                He's already shown the ability to beat his man in the preseason a couple of times and that's without Von Miller spending much time opposite. I think the common assumption is that with Von opposite him all game his life should be fairly easy.
                sigpic

Comment

That is true, the same would go for Roquan Smith too. I do expect both players to have an impact on their teams but almost all rookies take some time, hopefully Chubb takes 1-2 snaps.
                  sigpic

Comment

Denver's base D (3 DL, 4 Backers, 4 DBs) will probably only be seen in response to 21/22 personnel. The Broncos play one-gap run D which spills runs to the sideline rather than funneling them to the middle. In order for that to work, gap discipline is essential from the front seven.

If they see 11 personnel, Nickel takes out a D-Lineman and puts in a Corner or Safety if it's Big Nickel. The alignment usually moves the Outside Backers to LOS as DEs in a split-front look. The two Inside Backers remain usually at Backer depth over the A gaps.

10 personnel or Empty will command Dime which will usually result in only one Inside Backer with a Safety at Backer Depth. Going from Big Nickel to Dime could result in all four Safeties on the field at the same time, but with the acquisition of Adam Jones that may not often be seen.

Denver has good depth at Outside Backer. Inside Backer has experience with the starters backed up by some young talent being developed. Half of these guys were Inside Backers coming out of college and half were Outside Backers who have been moved inside. Denver can do that because of the one-gap run D. Keeping six Inside Backers may not remain as the season unfolds, but it indicates a commitment to player development as well as to STs.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                      That is true, the same would go for Roquan Smith too. I do expect both players to have an impact on their teams but almost all rookies take some time, hopefully Chubb takes 1-2 snaps.
                      agreed
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                        He's already shown the ability to beat his man in the preseason a couple of times and that's without Von Miller spending much time opposite. I think the common assumption is that with Von opposite him all game his life should be fairly easy.
                        wouldn't count on that.
                        sigpic

Comment

What people forget is that our D has been playing at a pretty high level the last 2 season but the QB play and general offensive play from the offense killed the seasons.

Yes there were a few bad ones like the Philly and Washington games but generally the D looked good but the continuous 3 and outs meant they were on the field way too much and must have mentally started giving up once the season went down the flusher.

The CB situation does worry me but Jones is a smart pick-up.

As long as the O is competent and can move the ball and not turn it over 3-4 times a game it will be interesting to see how the D looks, especially if we are playing with a lead.

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                            What people forget is that our D has been playing at a pretty high level the last 2 season but the QB play and general offensive play from the offense killed the seasons.

Yes there were a few bad ones like the Philly and Washington games but generally the D looked good but the continuous 3 and outs meant they were on the field way too much and must have mentally started giving up once the season went down the flusher.

The CB situation does worry me but Jones is a smart pick-up.

As long as the O is competent and can move the ball and not turn it over 3-4 times a game it will be interesting to see how the D looks, especially if we are playing with a lead.
                            That's the key. Hard to rush the passer when they aren't throwing
                            sigpic

Comment

wouldn't count on that.
                              Guess I should of phrased it as with Chubb opposite him all game Von's life was fairly easy.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X