X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brianmcfarlane
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    Eli Wilkinson looked like he had possibilities during his seven starts at RG in 2018. In his twelve starts at RT last year, he looked like a major liability. Sometimes an O-Lineman does better, when he switches sides or spots. It is possible he might look more like a T on the left than he did on the right, but I doubt it. He looks to me like a pretty good backup/maybe starting RG, but that offers little/no versatility. If he couldn't hold his own at RT last year and plays about the same on the left in preseason (if there is one), he won't be the Swing Tackle. Tonight and tomorrow Denver will probably try to find one. If they luck out and get Jones or Cleveland, they might end up with a starter at LT and make Garrett the Swing.
    I don't think the best spot for Wilkinson is as the swing T but that was what they stated their intentions were recently. I think his best use is as depth at RG and if needed - hopefully not - at RT. Hopefully Broncos do draft a OT that can be at least the swing OT in rookie year and then take Bolles place in 2021.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    It doesn't look like Bolles has ever played anything other than OT on the offense. He did play on the Dline in high school I believe and OT/LT at Snow College.
    I don't recall Wilkinson ever playing LT for the Broncos. He has not started a regular season game at LT, Bolles has started every game as a Bronco at LT. At UMASS all his starts - 22 - were at RT.
    I think Wilkinson is going to compete for the "swing tackle" spot and that will mean practicing at both RT and LT. I don't believe the report that he was told that he is competing directly for the LT spot. I can't find anywhere that anybody was quoted from the Broncos or Wilkinson being quoted. Too many of the talking heads on sports radio say things, I think just to get some "clicks".
    Eli Wilkinson looked like he had possibilities during his seven starts at RG in 2018. In his twelve starts at RT last year, he looked like a major liability. Sometimes an O-Lineman does better, when he switches sides or spots. It is possible he might look more like a T on the left than he did on the right, but I doubt it. He looks to me like a pretty good backup/maybe starting RG, but that offers little/no versatility. If he couldn't hold his own at RT last year and plays about the same on the left in preseason (if there is one), he won't be the Swing Tackle. Tonight and tomorrow Denver will probably try to find one. If they luck out and get Jones or Cleveland, they might end up with a starter at LT and make Garrett the Swing.
    Last edited by samparnell; 04-24-2020, 02:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brianmcfarlane
    replied
    Can you say which games Elijah Wilkinson played LT? When has Garrett Bolles ever played G?
    It doesn't look like Bolles has ever played anything other than OT on the offense. He did play on the Dline in high school I believe and OT/LT at Snow College.
    I don't recall Wilkinson ever playing LT for the Broncos. He has not started a regular season game at LT, Bolles has started every game as a Bronco at LT. At UMASS all his starts - 22 - were at RT.
    I think Wilkinson is going to compete for the "swing tackle" spot and that will mean practicing at both RT and LT. I don't believe the report that he was told that he is competing directly for the LT spot. I can't find anywhere that anybody was quoted from the Broncos or Wilkinson being quoted. Too many of the talking heads on sports radio say things, I think just to get some "clicks".
    Last edited by brianmcfarlane; 04-24-2020, 11:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
    I am not so sure. The limited reps we saw E.Wilk at LT he did pretty well. I have a funny fleeing that the team really wanted to move Bolles into OG or RT.
    Can you say which games Elijah Wilkinson played LT? When has Garrett Bolles ever played G?

Leave a comment:

• Rich_C
    replied
    Originally posted by Rastic View Post
    That's the sad truth of it
    I am not so sure. The limited reps we saw E.Wilk at LT he did pretty well. I have a funny fleeing that the team really wanted to move Bolles into OG or RT.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    This is just for competition. My sample size is small but when it comes to pass protection in the film I saw Wilkenson was the worst of the guys getting lots of playing time.

Think this is just the Broncos letting Bolles know he needs to work on his game because this is his last chance in Denver. By "this" I mean the opportunity to win the starting job.

This is also letting OL players out there still looking for work that there is a huge opportunity in Denver for someone to come in and make an impression.

Leave a comment:

• WYBRONCO
    replied
    I have been very critical of Both Wilkinson and Bolles in the past. That really can't change until I see something different from both.

I do think it is a big ask to believe Wilkinson is going to be a hold lot better or even better than Bolles. While UDFA's are successful sometimes there was a reason he didn't get drafted. Actually he has played okay considering that.

I also think Bolles struggles now from reputation as much as technique. Officials know he has a history of holding and look for a lot. Yes he holds and so does everyone in the NFL. He is more easily seen and seems to be more egregious at times but some of his holding penalties were very marginal last year.

Sorry for the rambling. I would still like a OT in rd 2 minimum that really has a chance to unseat both Bolles and Wilkinson.

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    The reason I'm skeptical of acquiring UFA O-Linemen is because of the long procession of them, most of whom didn't play well, and who were consequently overpriced. Ryan Harris was the best and Donald Stephenson was probably the worst, although he has competition for that distinction. In the interest of balance, it's fair to say that some drafted O-Linemen haven't worked out well either.

The guys you mentioned don't inspire confidence. If, by Clark, you mean Chris Clark who was with Denver 2010-2014, having him return would be depressing.
    Not disagreeing at all. In my suggestion I am not looking for a long term starting quality OT. I'm looking at adding a competent one year back up at the back up position. Some depth to take the immediate "must start" pressure off any OT drafted. One that brings experience and depth to the oline room. In all likelihood a third option if a starter goes down with Wilkinson as the likely "next man up" unless the rookie (or Rodgers) earns the spot. Luckily I would not be the one selecting that free agent. That would be up to scouts and Munchak to find.

This also assumes that James and Bolles can carry the load until at least mid season or for the majority of the 17 games. As pointed out, Wilkinson and Rodgers (has he signed yet?) are it at the moment. Adding a top 3 rd OT and hopefully a later rd developmental OT helps down the line. But within the first few weeks could be problematic. Maybe I'm expecting too much from any back up OT.

The draft is going to reveal a lot about how the coaches and Elway think about the current situation. They draft OT, OT, C in the first three picks we can assume they have little confidence in current players.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
    I just pointed out three. No clue if they are best choice or even healthy. I will leave that to the Broncos scouts to decide. I’m likely overlooking better fits. Some released after the draft.

As for salary. Seems like $2-3m for a competent backup should manage it. I believe 2of 3 I listed played for less last year.

And i will add, if the coaching staff has as little confidence in James and Bolles as many around here I wholeheartedly agree they should be be drafting an OT in the 1st, arguably the 2nd too. And maybe not spending the $8m on a RB to boot.
    The reason I'm skeptical of acquiring UFA O-Linemen is because of the long procession of them, most of whom didn't play well, and who were consequently overpriced. Ryan Harris was the best and Donald Stephenson was probably the worst, although he has competition for that distinction. In the interest of balance, it's fair to say that some drafted O-Linemen haven't worked out well either.

The guys you mentioned don't inspire confidence. If, by Clark, you mean Chris Clark who was with Denver 2010-2014, having him return would be depressing.

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    Name a current UFA Offensive Tackle you think Denver should sign and about how much cap space he would take.
    I just pointed out three. No clue if they are best choice or even healthy. I will leave that to the Broncos scouts to decide. I’m likely overlooking better fits. Some released after the draft.

As for salary. Seems like $2-3m for a competent backup should manage it. I believe 2of 3 I listed played for less last year.

And i will add, if the coaching staff has as little confidence in James and Bolles as many around here I wholeheartedly agree they should be be drafting an OT in the 1st, arguably the 2nd too. And maybe not spending the $8m on a RB to boot.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
    Yes we need an upgrade at swing tackle. I’m hoping we do well in the draft and that man ends up being Garrett Bolles.
    Juwan James was injured last season despite many attacking him for not playing. He tore his MCL in the season opener (losing his footing on the dirt saved him from more serious damage) and partially tore his meniscus against the Colts along with scar tissue in his MCL. Both of those injuries should heal with time. Obviously if he didn’t play this year or gets injured again we will need to move on from him in 2021. As of right now he is our best tackle on the team when healthy and under contract. The team can’t worry about what ifs with all the holes we have to fill.
    I agree. The "what ifs" need to be replaced by good football players, carefully evaluated.

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied
    OK, so going into the draft, the top five O-Linemen are Bolles, Risner, Morris, Glasgow and James, right? James has yet to really play and his injury has not been surgically corrected (even by scope) to my knowledge. If James can't go, who is number six? On game day, who is the Swing Tackle? Are you saying ST is Jake Rodgers? Seems like at the moment Austin Schlottmann would be the inside guy, call him number seven. Glad to see you on board with drafting a T and a C/G in the third/fourth rounds.
    Yes we need an upgrade at swing tackle. I’m hoping we do well in the draft and that man ends up being Garrett Bolles.
    Juwan James was injured last season despite many attacking him for not playing. He tore his MCL in the season opener (losing his footing on the dirt saved him from more serious damage) and partially tore his meniscus against the Colts along with scar tissue in his MCL. Both of those injuries should heal with time. Obviously if he didn’t play this year or gets injured again we will need to move on from him in 2021. As of right now he is our best tackle on the team when healthy and under contract. The team can’t worry about what ifs with all the holes we have to fill.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    I agree with your line of reasoning about impact of starters.

IMO it is also at WR and CB in rds 1 and 2. Then follow it up with some combination of OT and C. Both positions have decent quality developmental players likely available in the 3rd rd.

Unless things change, the season starters are likely Bolles and James. Unless injured they will be given several weeks to fail. By that time the developmental OTs have had time to get prepared.

Also think another OT spot can be filled in free agency. A couple million on a professional backup. Giving even more depth to your depth chart.

The situation is not as dire as some are insisting. Unless Bolles truly is as useless or James inclined to sit out again. I’m hoping neither of those things is true.

How different would we be looking at that depth chart if you added one free agent : Erving, Clemmings, Clark, or your preference

And then Peart, Biadasz and 7 th round project of choice. Not so barren IMO.
    Name a current UFA Offensive Tackle you think Denver should sign and about how much cap space he would take.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
    I believe our depth chart going into the draft will be:
    LT Bolles
    LG Risner/ Glasgow
    C Morris / Glasgow / Schlotman ( the deli man)
    RG Glasgow / Wilkinson
    RT James / Rodgers

We need a LT and Center the most if we could get day one starters in the 1st and second rounds like Andrew Thomas and Matt Hennessy, I would be all for it. If guys that can’t beat out Bolles and Morris day one aren’t there I’d rather see us grab day 1 starters at WR and CB, and take a tackle like Bartch or Peart and a center like Hanson, or Biadiaz in the 3rd and 4th.
    I don’t care about positions as much as the ability to start day 1 with our draft picks.
    OK, so going into the draft, the top five O-Linemen are Bolles, Risner, Morris, Glasgow and James, right? James has yet to really play and his injury has not been surgically corrected (even by scope) to my knowledge. If James can't go, who is number six? On game day, who is the Swing Tackle? Are you saying ST is Jake Rodgers? Seems like at the moment Austin Schlottmann would be the inside guy, call him number seven. Glad to see you on board with drafting a T and a C/G in the third/fourth rounds.

Leave a comment:

• johnlimburg
    replied
    Would not call him stupid. More willful and defiant. Especially when criticized. Likely rooted in his mistakes he made in his younger years and needing to change his life. He may not be listening because when he should be. Several reports if exchanges with teammates and coaches support this.

Good chance he resists coaching because he doesn’t trust them. Annually changing his coaches likely has not helped to gain it.

Part of my hope that there is some level of trust with Munchak and Risner. Listening instead of rebelling could do wonders for him. As I pointed out above, he was much improved the last 7 games. Build on that.
    The fact he is pretty athletic for a big man, yet continues to play with the same horrible technique, fail to correct his mistakes, and rack up the amount of penalties in the way he does, I would. Throw in his pathetic wonderlic score and watch any video of him talking, and I most definitely would. I'd also call being defiant in an NFL setting when you are a bad player being incredibly stupid, you have no standing to act that way if you suck. The man cried when he rolled his ankle All in all Elway need his head checked if his plan at left tackle is Bolles and Wilkerson, both would be better suited to playing inside.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X