Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New, massive NFL fines may force Broncos to be sold

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New, massive NFL fines may force Broncos to be sold

    Interesting article.........

    The Denver Broncos have no owner.

    For now, the three-person trust is in charge of running the franchise, and has been since 2014 due to Alzheimer’s Disease affecting the great Pat Bowlen and eventually taking his life in 2019.

    One could argue the team has been fine without a strong leader in the ownership position. Hey, they won Super Bowl 50 in 2015 with Joe Ellis basically calling the shots.

    However, since then, the Broncos have missed the playoffs four straight years and, as they sit at 3-6 currently, it’s likely that streak gets extended to five straight. A playoff drought that long has happened only one time since Bowlen bought the team in 1984, from 2006-2010 and the old, strong-willed owner couldn’t stand for all the losing; he fired Mike Shanahan and then Josh McDaniels, too.

    In recent years, Bowlen’s seven children from two different marriages have been squabbling over the rights to become the team’s next owner, with Brittany Bowlen seemingly being the favorite. However, as Ellis explained last year, all the other children would have to sign off permanently and make Brittany the sole owner.

    “The way I would answer that is, it is an option, and we’ve told the beneficiaries that, because if Brittany were to succeed and take over for her father, everybody else is going to have to sign off on that, most likely,’’ Ellis said at the end of last season per 9News. “That may not be a requirement, but it’s going to be necessary, I think, moving forward from a trustee viewpoint. That’s why a sale remains a possibility I think — given the circumstances we’re in.”

    Now, it has become a requirement by the NFL.

    Per Sports Business Daily and Pro Football Talk, the league has implemented a new rule forcing franchises to have one, sole owner. If they don’t, the franchise can be fined $10 million per year. And, the individual owners can be fined $2 million as well.

    A similar situation is playing out for the Tennessee Titans as well, and the league needs each team to have a single person in charge so they can vote on future changes. Bengals owner Mike Brown offered that teams without a single owner should be stripped of their voting abilities but the rest of the owners decided on the steep fines instead.

    Pro Football Talk’s source within the Broncos believes the team will end up being sold to a new owner because it’s unlikely all six other children sign off on allowing Brittany to be the sole owner of the team.

    For Broncos fans who are desperate for a franchise quarterback as well as a winning team, getting a strong-willed owner like they had with Pat Bowlen seems to be the answer in terms of fixing things from the top-down.

    John Elway rejoined the team in 2011 and has expanded his power within the organization since. He was instrumental in the hiring of John Fox, Gary Kubiak, Vance Joseph and most recently, Vic Fangio. And Elway has been the one credited with the Broncos many successes and failures in the NFL Draft.

    While Elway has done extremely well on the defensive side in the draft, the great irony is the all-time great quarterback can’t find a winning QB for Denver. Overall, Elway’s gambled in the draft many times, especially early on, and landed busts — like Paxton Lynch, Shane Ray, Ty Sambrailo, Adam Gotsis and Cody Latimer, to name a few. But the Broncos’ last three drafts have been superb, finding 2-3 starters each year.

    He’s also made many great signings in free agency which outweigh the few head-scratching moves (Joe Flacco?).

    Simply, John Elway the GM is a complicated tale. He’s been solid, but has he been good enough? And where would the Broncos be if he was held accountable by an involved owner?

    If Brittany Bowlen doesn’t become the owner, there’s no telling who will come in and buy the successful franchise. According to Forbes, the Broncos are the 11th-most valuable franchise in the NFL, coming in at $3.2 billion.
    The Denver Broncos have been operating under a three-person trust for years, but the NFL is trying to force teams to have a single owner with their new huge fines. What does it mean for Denver's ownership situation?
    #swapping

  • #2
    Sure as hell hope so... it's long overdue.
    :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      This team needs leadership and direction. It needs an owner who will bring accountability.

      Ellis needs to be canned. Elway needs to have his draft day privileges revoked. He is still very skilled at bringing in free agents who contribute. He is also very adept at keeping the salary cap as an asset to the team and not a detriment. I don’t think Elway should be fired.

      Personally, I think Ellis and Elway and whoever the 3rd person in the trust is are not doing their due diligence to name a successor or sell the team to a quality owner. This should not have dragged on this long.

      Super Bowl XXXII, XXXIII & 50 Champs

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Safety View Post
        This team needs leadership and direction. It needs an owner who will bring accountability.

        Ellis needs to be canned. Elway needs to have his draft day privileges revoked. He is still very skilled at bringing in free agents who contribute. He is also very adept at keeping the salary cap as an asset to the team and not a detriment. I don’t think Elway should be fired.

        Personally, I think Ellis and Elway and whoever the 3rd person in the trust is are not doing their due diligence to name a successor or sell the team to a quality owner. This should not have dragged on this long.
        I don’t believe Elway is in the Trust. The group is led by Broncos CEO Joe Ellis and includes Vice President and General Counsel Rich Slivka and lawyer Mary Kelly, who is married to team attorney and spokesperson Dan Reilly.

        After seeing who is in the Trust, I even more convinced it’s a conspiracy going on. Ellis has all the power right now. He knows that no matter which child takes ownership, everyone in the trust is out ice cold. So by forcing a sale, he and the other two stand to make massive pay days. The more this drags on, the more it’s in his benefit.

        But I do disagree on his FA choices. Post Manning, many have been lousy. And instead of paying guys that he drafted that were starting to blossom, he moves on for a more expensive less productive F/A. If he does stay, he can stay in his role as VP Football Operations, but he needs to hire a GM and let him hire his staff.

        but here’s another thought. Maybe Elway just needs to go. Maybe he needs to be placed back on the mantle of Bronco lore and legend. Maybe we need to let go of the past, so we can move forward. Maybe we need to move on from all of the Bowlen icons and look for a new future. Hopefully that future remains in Denver. Because “new” does have its consequences.
        #swapping

        Comment


        • #5
          Interesting storyline, and ironically The NFL's new rule may work in our favour. I am a staunch believer that "it starts at the top" in most organizations, and it does sound like we're dealing with a group of folks who do not have the best interests of this team in mind. And who probably do not know how to run this team.....thereby causing some cracks in the armor, even to the point of letting some have too much unchecked power. It definitely sounds like we need a single owner who knows how to own and to run. So this may be really good news....and should help better define roles and responsibilities throughout the organization, including reasonable checks and balances.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by flosstein View Post

            I don’t believe Elway is in the Trust. The group is led by Broncos CEO Joe Ellis and includes Vice President and General Counsel Rich Slivka and lawyer Mary Kelly, who is married to team attorney and spokesperson Dan Reilly.

            After seeing who is in the Trust, I even more convinced it’s a conspiracy going on. Ellis has all the power right now. He knows that no matter which child takes ownership, everyone in the trust is out ice cold. So by forcing a sale, he and the other two stand to make massive pay days. The more this drags on, the more it’s in his benefit.

            But I do disagree on his FA choices. Post Manning, many have been lousy. And instead of paying guys that he drafted that were starting to blossom, he moves on for a more expensive less productive F/A. If he does stay, he can stay in his role as VP Football Operations, but he needs to hire a GM and let him hire his staff.

            but here’s another thought. Maybe Elway just needs to go. Maybe he needs to be placed back on the mantle of Bronco lore and legend. Maybe we need to let go of the past, so we can move forward. Maybe we need to move on from all of the Bowlen icons and look for a new future. Hopefully that future remains in Denver. Because “new” does have its consequences.
            just be careful of what you wish for. It may not end up how you envision.
            Super Bowl XXXII, XXXIII & 50 Champs

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Safety View Post

              just be careful of what you wish for. It may not end up how you envision.
              True. But looking as new ownership is eminent, just trying to be positive about it. But my feelings on Elway are the same regardless. Maybe he better off back on the pedestal that we held him on before he became out FO. He did some great things here. But 5 years of this is a tough spot for even Elway to come back from.
              #swapping

              Comment


              • #8
                Elway is not in the Trust. And if I thought he was, I believe that my opinion on anything relative to Broncos would be a point of amusement on these boards.

                As an analogy, I look at what the Avalanche under Joe Sakic has done. It was only a few short years ago that the Avalanche finished 20 points behind the 2nd worst team in the NHL (and still ended up with the 4th pick because of the lottery fraud). Now look where the Avalanche are. Elway has certainly made mistakes, as Sakic did. But just like LT Bolles, do you dump somebody who is just now figuring it out? Elway has a Business degree from freakin STANFORD. And the Draft in.the last couple of years has been decent.

                And wit all the complaints, there i a HUGE question that seems to continue to go unanswered. WHO DO YOU WANT TO REPLACE ELWAY THAT YOU ARE CERTAIN WILL BE BETTER. And if there isn't a specific answer, then the whole idea should be discounted, out of hand.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Safety View Post

                  just be careful of what you wish for. It may not end up how you envision.
                  The same goes for new ownership as well. No one knows whether the Broncos will get a good one or a bad one. If the Broncos are sold they're obligated to get the highest price possible from a person who can pass the NFL background investigation. They're not obligated to take the offer from the best candidate to ensure the franchise becomes a winner.

                  All of those people anxious for a sale to get "new leadership and direction" may end up pretty upset if Denver ends up with their own version of the Pegulas or Haslams. Yes both teams are having success this year, but both tripped over their own feet for a long time before now. Or someone who wants to cut every single corner possible (like the Brown family in Cincy). Or a Dan Snyder type.

                  Of the 30 NFL owners (not counting the Broncos or Titans where ownership is in flux) how many would actually be considered good to great owners? Maybe 10?

                  There's no guarantee that a new owner/ownership group, will end up any different than where the Broncos are now, and it could very well end up worse.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

                    The same goes for new ownership as well. No one knows whether the Broncos will get a good one or a bad one. If the Broncos are sold they're obligated to get the highest price possible from a person who can pass the NFL background investigation. They're not obligated to take the offer from the best candidate to ensure the franchise becomes a winner.

                    All of those people anxious for a sale to get "new leadership and direction" may end up pretty upset if Denver ends up with their own version of the Pegulas or Haslams. Yes both teams are having success this year, but both tripped over their own feet for a long time before now. Or someone who wants to cut every single corner possible (like the Brown family in Cincy). Or a Dan Snyder type.

                    Of the 30 NFL owners (not counting the Broncos or Titans where ownership is in flux) how many would actually be considered good to great owners? Maybe 10?

                    There's no guarantee that a new owner/ownership group, will end up any different than where the Broncos are now, and it could very well end up worse.
                    Which is the why the team should stay in the Bowlen family, the chances of the team being sold to someone who cares for the team and not the money more so than the 2 Bowlen sisters currently duking it out are very slim IMO. Owning the team for them comes with the added responsibility/pressure of living up to the legacy that Pat Bowlen left behind. I believe the Bowlen family will work things out now that a sale is a very real possibility. That will likely result in the younger Bowlen taking ownership to which I hope she is able to see through Ellis and not become his puppet and rather play him as the puppet long enough to end this fiasco and then cut ties with him.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                      Elway is not in the Trust. And if I thought he was, I believe that my opinion on anything relative to Broncos would be a point of amusement on these boards.

                      As an analogy, I look at what the Avalanche under Joe Sakic has done. It was only a few short years ago that the Avalanche finished 20 points behind the 2nd worst team in the NHL (and still ended up with the 4th pick because of the lottery fraud). Now look where the Avalanche are. Elway has certainly made mistakes, as Sakic did. But just like LT Bolles, do you dump somebody who is just now figuring it out? Elway has a Business degree from freakin STANFORD. And the Draft in.the last couple of years has been decent.

                      And wit all the complaints, there i a HUGE question that seems to continue to go unanswered. WHO DO YOU WANT TO REPLACE ELWAY THAT YOU ARE CERTAIN WILL BE BETTER. And if there isn't a specific answer, then the whole idea should be discounted, out of hand.
                      That's where we disagree on Elway as the GM. It's been 9 years. If he hasn't "figured it out yet" by now, I don't think things are going to get any better. He's trending more towards the Bruce Allen GM, than Ozzie Newsome level GM. So comparing him to a young LT who is just entering the prime of his career is a bit off. Again, this isn't year 3 for Elway. It's year 9, 2011 - present. The first 4 years, where he should've been "figuring it out", he was actually doing great things and looked on his way to being among the best in the league. But in 5 season post SB, he has yet to assemble a roster capable of competing for the division. while the other 3 AFCW teams have gotten better, we've gotten worse, a lot worse.

                      As for who to replace him with, just about any potential candidate can do the Brown-Lion'esq damage Elway has done to the team these past few years. But here's a name that could definitely turn things around:

                      Champ Kelly - Possibly best candidate. Should've never let him out the building. He was a big part of building the team that eventually won SB

                      With that said, as awesome as a Business Degree from Stanford is, it doesn't automatically mean success. It's a fancy plaque on a wall that has nothing to do with how much of a success or failure one is in business.
                      #swapping

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by flosstein View Post

                        That's where we disagree on Elway as the GM. It's been 9 years. If he hasn't "figured it out yet" by now, I don't think things are going to get any better. He's trending more towards the Bruce Allen GM, than Ozzie Newsome level GM. So comparing him to a young LT who is just entering the prime of his career is a bit off. Again, this isn't year 3 for Elway. It's year 9, 2011 - present. The first 4 years, where he should've been "figuring it out", he was actually doing great things and looked on his way to being among the best in the league. But in 5 season post SB, he has yet to assemble a roster capable of competing for the division. while the other 3 AFCW teams have gotten better, we've gotten worse, a lot worse.

                        As for who to replace him with, just about any potential candidate can do the Brown-Lion'esq damage Elway has done to the team these past few years. But here's a name that could definitely turn things around:

                        Champ Kelly - Possibly best candidate. Should've never let him out the building. He was a big part of building the team that eventually won SB

                        With that said, as awesome as a Business Degree from Stanford is, it doesn't automatically mean success. It's a fancy plaque on a wall that has nothing to do with how much of a success or failure one is in business.
                        What's the biggest difference between the first 4 years and the last 5? What's the biggest difference between almost all successful GMs and almost all unsuccessful GMs?

                        The QB is the most important position in football. When you have one it makes it easier to be a GM, when you don't you can make all the right moves everywhere else and look like a failure.

                        Elway isn't the first GM who's struggled badly to find a QB. Nor will he be the first let go (eventually) for failing to find that QB. But the next GM will be considered equally inept until he finds a QB. One needs to just look at the long line of failures at GM in both Buffalo and Miami post Kelly and Marino to see that it's not an easy thing.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Why does anyone think a temporary trust is going to care about a 10 mil a year fine?

                          This could just be a way for the NFL to take 10 mil away from a franchise and why do we think the former NFL employee who is currently head of the trust is going to do anything at all because of this?
                          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Just seems like a sad dysfunctional family that he left the decision as to which of his family member would have control of the team , to Joe Ellis and a couple other non family members.
                            And even sadder that the trustees are enjoying this and would like to prolong this as long as they can.
                            I have my own theory, but why has Britteny been picked to be the chosen one,? It seems like they are stone walling Beth .
                            is there a logical reason for this? Other than, the probability that Beth would get rid of them and they think they could manage and manipulate Britteny easier?
                            It just seems to be more normal for the Elder Beth to be in charge, then maybe she and Britteny could team up to rebuild the organization.
                            it seems to me the Trust is enjoying driving a wedge between the family members rather than letting them decide and work things out between themselves.
                            it still hard to understand why Mr. Bowlen did this to his family; if the Alzheimer's and bad counsel was not affecting his decision making

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X