Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos Insider hints new QB for Denver in 2021

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si....mors-drew-lock

As plugged-in as they come — look no further than the longtime insider's reporting on Mike Shanahan and the 2019 Denver Broncos head-coaching search — Paige recently predicted that Denver will draft Alabama quarterback Mac Jones next April.

The legendary Around The Horn personality name-dropped Jones in response to a since-deleted tweet about the Broncos' future at QB.

Buried under the star power of the incoming class, Jones is a projected Day 2 selection who wins with his smarts, ball placement, and plus pocket presence. At 6-foot-3, 214 pounds he's built similarly to current Broncos QB Drew Lock (6-4, 227), though Jones' arm is noticeably weaker.

Jones is in his third season at Alabama. As of this writing, the redshirt junior has completed 295 of 409 attempts (72.1%) for 4,739 yards, 42 touchdowns and six interceptions across 26 career games — a cumulative passer rating of 200.4.
    "It’s important not to scout the helmet; every passer is different. But it is a known fact that sometimes, talent at a school can disguise a quarterback’s shortcomings. Jones might not be the best example, as he does have some redeeming traits. His problems are exacerbated by added pressure in the NFL. Thus, Mac Jones’ NFL Draft projection becomes a little more complicated," Pro Football Network's Ian Cumming wrote of Jones in his scouting report.
    "For now, I see Jones as a solid mid-round quarterback, who will probably end up being a Day 2 pick. With that being said, I could see an NFL team convincing themselves to pick him late in round 1, and if he keeps up his current trajectory, more teams will be comfortable banking on his high floor. But Jones’ athletic limitations and off-script inconsistencies collectively cap his upside, and he’ll never challenge the top four quarterbacks in the 2021 NFL Draft."
    It's interesting that Paige believes the Broncos, en route to a top-10 choice, will eschew a blue-chip prospect such as North Dakota State's Trey Lance or BYU's Zach Wilson. Doing so would allow the team to address an other area of need (offensive line, inside linebacker, or cornerback) while still nabbing its potential QB of the future (if not Lock).

Of course, though, Denver's draft strategy on Dec. 12 is unlikely to match that of April 29.
    File this away for later.
    sigpic

Now since deleted. Maybe Woody isn't so confident in Mac Jones
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

I agree with the last two sentences. It's interesting. I actually like Jones, but if we're dead set on drafting a QB, why not take the upside guy in Wilson? Who else is going to be there when we pick that would justify not taking our QB in the 1st? Parsons isn't going to be there. Leatherwood? One of the corners? Paye? Nah. If we're making a QB investment to compete with Lock, you're probably going to bet on the talent that Wilson has. I don't really want to half ass the quarterback position anymore. Either we bring in a competent vet to back up Lock, or we get the best QB on the board. A month ago, I would've said that was Lance. I've watched all the Zach Wilson I can handle over the last week, and I've changed my mind on that.

Alternatively, would I be against taking something else, and then maybe grabbing Lance late 1st or early 2nd? Nah. I'm not very confident that he's going to be there, though.

As far as us taking one of the top 6 QB's though, I'll believe it when I see it.
      Last edited by Spice 1; 12-13-2020, 12:08 AM.

Comment

DO NOT WANT. He’s so average.

He Plays with the most talent in the NCAA. He’s a game manager and nothing more
        -Bronco in UT

While I both agree and disagree with many posts in this thread I have to lean towards champ on this one. Jay really needs to learn how to manage the game better, and also to learn that you don't have to go for the big play EVERY time on every drive. There is something to be said to check the ball down and live to fight another day. -Great Post Cut the Excuses out please. sigh...

Helll of a post

Comment

Mac Jones sounds like Brett Rypien. Why draft a guy we already have?
          Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post
            Exactly my thoughts
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Guess they got the link click from me

Wanted to know who exactly is pushing the words of Paige so I can know who not to pay attention to

Zack Kelberman

Woody Paige has spoken.
              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I dunno. Rypien vs Jones is a tough debate. He's definitely not Ingle Martin or Kyle Sloter, but I think he'd give Siemian or Rypien a run for their money.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                  I dunno. Rypien vs Jones is a tough debate. He's definitely not Ingle Martin or Kyle Sloter, but I think he'd give Siemian or Rypien a run for their money.
                  So why would we draft Jones in the 2nd round or Third like what the article says when we got both Siemian and Rypien in the 7th and undrafted?

Comment

Originally posted by Chronoless View Post

So why would we draft Jones in the 2nd round or Third like what the article says when we got both Siemian and Rypien in the 7th and undrafted?
                    If Brady has taught us anything you can't let guys like Siemian and Rypien slip past the third round and I Think that's the logic.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                      Guess they got the link click from me

Wanted to know who exactly is pushing the words of Paige so I can know who not to pay attention to
                      Woody Paige. Think it was in 2012 or 2013 when Woody Paige wrote that he thought John Elway should be named NFL Executive of the year by "acclimation". Maybe he thought Elway would succeed as a result of adapting to a different set of weather conditions.
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post

If Brady has taught us anything you can't let guys like Siemian and Rypien slip past the third round and I Think that's the logic.
                        So now their Tom Brady? Omg we should of drafted Seimian and Rypien 1st round, what are we wasting time with Lock for, we have Tom Brady 3.0 on the roster, we let Tom Brady 2.0 go (Seimon) he must be on his 2nd Superbowl already somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Chronoless View Post

So now their Tom Brady? Omg we should of drafted Seimian and Rypien 1st round, what are we wasting time with Lock for, we have Tom Brady 3.0 on the roster, we let Tom Brady 2.0 go (Seimon) he must be on his 2nd Superbowl already somewhere.
                          Beyond the shadow of a doubt.

Mac Jones would have big shoes to fill, but if he can put a game together like this, their's no question that teams are going to consider taking him in the second or Third.

Comment

Anyways...

So, by beating the Panthers we are completely out of the Zach Wilson market (or at least should be). Lock was good. I hope he continues being good, and there's no reason to even talk about drafting a quarterback. In the event however, that he's not good next week, and everyone goes back to killing Lock, wanting everyone fired, etc., here's an honest evaluation.

For the record. As I stated in my earlier post, I'd rather have the upside QB in Lance.

Comment

Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post
                              Rypien does not have an nfl caliber arm at all he struggles to throw it more then 20 yards down field. Now Jones has a better arm then Rypien but it is still on the weaker side for a nfl qb
                              sigpic
                              oakland raders gm
                              latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Working...
                              X