Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Elway cant find a way to get Lawrence, it’s time to take his ball and go home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Elway cant find a way to get Lawrence, it’s time to take his ball and go home

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.den...-lawrence/amp/

Originally posted by Kizla
    Kiszla: If Broncos can’t find way to get Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence, it’s time for John Elway to take his ball and go home

Hey, John Elway: The Broncos stink, stank, stunk. You need a Hail Mary to save a team without a prayer or a franchise quarterback.

Bring Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence to the Rocky Mountains. Don’t tell us it’s impossible. With Elway, there’s No Plan B. Right?

And what the Broncos need to do now is whatever’s required to acquire the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft. Will it cost a king’s ransom to trade up? Of course. It should. Lawrence really is that good. (Ask Notre Dame.)

Please don’t lecture me about the hazards of mortgaging the future to pry the No. 1 pick from the Jets or Jaguars. Why?

The Broncos have no future. Team ownership is a mess. An injury-depleted team has fallen off the NFL map, irrelevant in the championship conversation.

The Broncos have been big, fat zeroes since Peyton Manning left the building after Super Bowl 50 nearly five years ago. That’s sad, unacceptable in a city that lives and dies with its football team.

“There’s no asterisk next to our record saying injuries and COVID-19. It just says wins or losses, and that’s all anybody cares about,” safety Justin Simmons said on a sad Saturday when the Broncos fell to 5-9 after being crushed by Buffalo.

While Simmons tried to stay positive, this is how he described the chronic losing:

“It just stinks.”

The stench of this 48-19 defeat was unmistakable. It smelled like vengeance. From my set in the press box, it seemed as if Bills quarterback and Wyoming alum Josh Allen enjoyed sticking it to Elway for not picking him fifth overall in the 2018 NFL draft.

When asked by the NFL Network if returning to Denver was a homecoming of sorts, Allen duly noted the Broncos passed on drafting him.

Shame, shame, shame.

OK, if confession is good for the soul, here’s mine: I happily and humbly admit to underestimating Allen as a prospect.

Nearly three years ago, the player I loved for the Broncos was Notre Dame guard Quenton Nelson. Prior to the 2018 draft, I repeatedly pestered anyone who would listen to a word I wrote or uttered that Nelson was bound for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

And know what? I was 110% correct in my evaluation of Nelson. But he’s a Hall of Fame lineman. A boss hog might open holes, but even Nelson can’t lead a team to the Super Bowl.

In Year 3, Allen has developed into not only a franchise quarterback but a legit MVP candidate who has led the Bills to their first division championship in 25 years. He passed a depleted Denver secondary dizzy, throwing for 359 yards and producing four touchdowns, two each with his arm and feet.

His fastball, the width of his shoulders and the swagger when Allen runs? All very Elway-esque.

Sitting down for a postgame interview, Broncos coach Vic Fangio ran exasperated fingers through his thinning hair. “Josh Allen is a great quarterback,” Fangio said. “He’s right up there with the best in the league.”

Maybe this league is just too hard for Denver. The Broncos are going to miss the postseason for the fifth consecutive season. Perhaps the Broncos should petition the College Football Playoff for the fourth seed, behind Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State. (Just kidding.)

But I’m dead serious about this: Are the Broncos certain Drew Lock is a better quarterback than Lawrence, Justin Fields of Ohio State or Mac Jones of Alabama?

“It was definitely a bad day,” Lock said.

Lock ain’t bad. But he’s not Allen. He doesn’t have the physical gifts.

Lock dropped back to pass 35 times, netting a mere 132 yards. He might have taken the Checkdown Drew thing too far, especially when you consider one of his three sacks resulted in a fumble while Denver was imploding in the second half.

“Everybody was trying to do too much,” said Denver linebacker Josey Jewel, uttering the lament of an undermanned NFL team.

At this point, if the Broncos don’t lose their final two games of the regular season, they’re doing it wrong.

Tank for Trevor.

While players are competitive by nature, it’s only foolish pride for a Broncos organization that tried to stop Allen without quality NFL cornerbacks and were forced by the league earlier this season to take the field without a professional quarterback.

Finishing with a 5-11 record won’t put Denver in position to draft Lawrence, but it would give Elway a more appealing draft pick to start building a trade package. Unless Lawrence is out of his mind, he doesn’t want to play for the hapless Jets or Jags, much as Elway hated the idea of joining the Colts back in 1983.

While remembrances of Pat Bowlen read like a hagiography of a football saint, we should also recall the franchise owner who traded for Elway was Edgar Kaiser, a businessman who firmly believed anything in America can be bought for the right price.

Lawrence is a generational talent, a priceless asset for a Broncos franchise that has lost its way.

If Elway cannot find a way to get Lawrence, maybe it’s time to take his ball and go home, leaving a languishing rebuilding project to a new architect.
    sigpic

News flash. This team wouldn’t win with Trevor either. Not with a defense allowing 48 points to contenders.
    sigpic

Comment

Already being discussed here

https://forums.denverbroncos.com/for...up-for-success
      Super Bowl XXXII, XXXIII & 50 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
        News flash. This team wouldn’t win with Trevor either. Not with a defense allowing 48 points to contenders.
        What i been saying, they have allowed 26 or more 10 times and our offense can't score that much.

Of course everyone wants to make excuses for them with injuries but I'm not buying that, it's only been a few games without the corners, not 10 games.

Besides Simmons and jackson have not missed any time and last time I checked they are the safeties of this team.

Also this defense just doesn't create turnovers or negative plays much at all. I seriously think they are lacking leadership, nobody on the defense seems like a fiery leader
        sigpic

Comment

It won't be anything Elway can do to get TL "which im not high on anyway but thats for later." If TL comes out jets will NOT accept ANY trades from ANY team. TL will be in jets Green next year.

"I'm E2DS and I approve this message 👌"
          Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
            Exactly. Having an elite QB and a very weak defense usually means more losses than wins, IMO.
            Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

TL
              Will be a Bust. Go get Matthew Stafford

Comment

That is all we need. Give up draft picks to get a young QB who then gets developed by offensive coaching whose teams more often than not recently are bottom three in give-aways including all kinds of problems throwing picks.
                Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Article is senseless. Why would the Jets trade away the opportunity to draft Lawrence?

They have been tanking all season for him, at the last moment they suddenly choose to take the draft picks?

This is one of those ridiculous articles that are more fluff then substance. We are supposed to hold Elway responsible for the Jets not accepting his trade offer, no matter what it is. We can place blame on Elway for a lot of things but this could not be one of them.

This team and the continued failures to be competitive is frustrating but I have no clue on how to fix it. Broncos continue to spiral downward with so many issues it is amazing how they find new ways to lose every week. Where do you start? With all the season ending injuries, failed free agency selections, unimpressive draft picks and promising coaches all being out coached or seemingly uninspiring for the players. How do they evaluate inconsistency?

Seriously not sure how this mess gets fixed. But articles like this are fantasy. Kiszla can stomp his feet and hold his breath all he wants, TL is not coming to Denver. Real solutions are needed. Finding the “right” solution is what the team has been searching for for multiple years now.
                  Last edited by FR Tim; 12-20-2020, 12:14 PM.

Comment

We are a failed injured team. Coaching is the problems. I hate to change coaches but this coaching roster is awful. Lock isn’t bad. Elway messed up. I’m not losing sleep tonight as long as the ravens,chiefs or,Oakland win the superbowl

Comment

They won't land Lawrence or Fields without selling the farm. Too many QB hungry teams ahead of them.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                        They won't land Lawrence or Fields without selling the farm. Too many QB hungry teams ahead of them.
                        Lawrence does have a face as long as a horses so he’d fit in really good though!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post

Lawrence does have a face as long as a horses so he’d fit in really good though!
                          Well played!!

Comment

Elway is a legend in his own mind. I don't think he wants any more Denver legend competition. Manning already bumped him out of some endorsements.

Comment

So much for all that Jets talking in this thread. The Jags now own the #1 pick.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X