Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Elway on Broncos QB Drew Lock: 'We still like what we see in him'

https://www.nfl.com/news/john-elway-...-we-see-in-him

Rollercoasters would be jealous of the steep ups and downs of Drew Lock's 2020 campaign.

In the past two weeks alone, the Denver Broncos' signal-caller went from throwing four TDs and being named FedEx Air Player of the Week against Carolina to a disastrous 132-yard passing outing with a fumble last week against Buffalo.

Lock's season has been a disappointment as the second-year QB struggled with turnovers, tossing 13 INTs to just 14 TDs in 11 games. Far too often, Lock's mechanics get wonky and he tries to muscle balls into close quarters.

There have been a few bright spots where the strong-armed signal-caller flashes the potential to be a franchise playmaker. Unfortunately, the flashes have been few and far between for the five-win Broncos.

Despite the struggles, Broncos GM John Elway prefers to see the positives in Lock's growth.

"He's gone through his reads better and dumped some things off and continued to use the experience to get better," Elway told the team's official website. "Obviously, the inconsistency, that comes with being young, especially if you're young and you've got young guys around you ... like we do. It seems like when they all don't play well, they do it together. Again, we've just got to work on the consistency. And I think that Drew's had an up-and-down year, but we still like what we see in him and still think that he's got a chance to be a very good quarterback in this league."

Lock is Elway's latest attempt to fill the hole left by Peyton Manning. Since 2015, Denver has tried Brock Osweiler, Trevor Siemian, Paxton Lynch, Case Keenum, Joe Flacco, Brandon Allen and Lock under center. None has proven he can lead the Broncos back to the postseason.

Lock flashed dynamic playmaking in five games in 2019 as a rookie. The QB hasn't taken a step forward in his second season, but Elway still sees the raw talent that made Lock a second-round pick. With two weeks left in the 2020 season, Lock has a couple more opportunities to show he can even out his inconsistent play.

"Drew's got to continue to use these times as a valuable experience going into next year, the different coverages and the different looks he's getting, to be able to come back and hopefully work on some consistency," Elway said. "I think he's showed that there's some bright spots there, and he's done a heck of a job in a lot of situations. But to be able to be good and be great in this league, you've got to play with consistency and eliminate the mistakes. That's what we're looking for out of Drew, is hopefully eliminate some of those mistakes and keep showing us the things that he can do."

Elway spent the offseason buffering Lock with weapons. He signed Melvin Gordon and drafted rookie receivers Jerry Jeudyand K.J. Hamler. The injury to rising star WR Courtland Sutton hurt, but Lock had the playmakers to help him improve in Year 2.

This offseason will be interesting for Elway. Does he seek out a potential upgrade at the position or give Lock one more season to show he can grow into a franchise quarterback?
    i bet most people are gonna be annoyed this next offseason and writing the team off when Lock is the starter.
    sigpic
    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Well Elway has a track record of knowing and picking good QBs, that's for sure

I think he should let the Bowlen ladies pick the players, that would be a start for a change any way.
    Last edited by MrMax; 12-25-2020, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMax View Post

I think he should let the Bowlen ladies pick the players, that would be a start for a change any way.
      Nah he should pick the Defensive players and hire some one else to pick the offensive players
      sigpic
      oakland raders gm

Comment

We need to bring in a QB who can legitimately compete with Drew.

We don't have anyone on the roster who can seriously challenge him. And he hasn't earned being comfortable in knowing that this is his job without question. He needs to be pushed.

Adversity reveals true character, leadership and growth.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

Nah he should pick the Defensive players and hire some one else to pick the offensive players
          Nah, he should hire and fire car salespeople and servers at a business he owns, or maybe be a salesman at his car dealership, he'd be good at that.

Comment

Nah, he should hire and fire car salespeople and servers at a business he owns, or maybe be a salesman at his car dealership, he'd be good at that.
            he has drafted and picked up pretty good defensive personal
            sigpic
            oakland raders gm

Comment

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.
              He flat out needs someone to answer to,; and he is, hahaha, I love this job, even if I'm not good at it. Pat left it for me, and I can't find any of his kids who know as much as I do, so I'll keep doing it.
              And he sits in the booth all by himself so nobody reminds him how bad the elways are.
              Last edited by MrMax; 12-27-2020, 08:54 PM.

Comment

In all fairness, Osweiler helped the Texans draft Deshaun Watson.

Terrell Davis should have the final say in this next draft.
                I'm pretty sure Lock will end up buying them Rolex watches too.

Comment

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.
                  He flat out needs someone to answer to,; and he is, hahaha, I love this job, even if I'm not good at it. Pat left it for me, and I can't find any of his kids who know as much as I do, so I'll keep doing it.
                  And he sits in the booth all by himself so nobody reminds him how bad the elways are.
                  Elway isn't the cause for the Bowlen family's precarious ownership position.
                  Pat is to blame for not naming someone 1A.

Honestly, I'd fly solo too. His wife is probably at home watching the Raiders lose.
                  Elway needs a pal or another son to take to games.

Plus, the NFL is getting ridiculous with corona fines.
                  I hope they donated that money to clinics.

Comment

I read that totally different. I dont know any GM to come out and say "yes we are moving on and gonna find a new qb for our team.
                    To me this was a generic statement most teams use...hell when jerry Jones says it its called theories of death"..
                    Elway said we think he will be a very good qb "in this league" he didn't say "we think he can be a very good qb for the Denver Broncos" or "for our team."

Would i be mad if he comes back as a the starter, yea a bit.. but with this team Nothing shocks me. Probably why we have sucked since 2015. He gets another year. We will look for another qb later. It is what it is. My signature says it all.
                    Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

Lock has to improve his technique and grow up a lot. There is definitely scope to improve, but also signs of Rosen-Potential.
                      Give him another season, but bring in a cerebal type vet.

Comment

He could set up the hotdog stand at the dealership and sell ball parks. I mean if he really needs to be involved with sports that bad.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X