• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronald Darby 3 Years 30 Mill

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet
    ·
    1h
    The #Broncos are giving CB Ronald Darby a 3-year, $30M deal, source said, with $19.5M fully guaranteed.

Really like this move!

Darby: 17 forced incompletions in 2020 (T-1st in NFL)

Comment

Definitely need more quality corners. Sounds like he was playing at a high level last season. Him paired with Bryce along with an early pick and Michael Ojemudia starts to look a lot bettter than what we had by the end of last season.
      A book I wrote

Comment

He had that incredible DLine in Washington to help him in coverage but he def had a solid season.

Above average DB addition is always a plus for me.

Comment

$10 mil per year. I Like the risk reward here.

Comment

I like Darby, I thought he should've been a little less - 8.5M ~15 GTD - but not much of a difference. He seems to be past his injury year. I was hoping for him to have signed with the Broncos last season.
            sigpic

Comment

Good signing. I wish him love, I wish him well, a wishing well...a wishing well of butterfly tears. Wait...what?
              Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

You're always going to have to overpay in free agency, but Darby is a decent player with some upside still at just 27 years old. I don't love it, I don't hate it, we needed help at the position though that's for sure. I'd still be looking for another top round pick to be used at the position.

Comment

Eh, most WFT fans who watched Darby play last season would have easily given him $10M APY. I think it’s actually a steal for a solid starting CB who only allowed 1 TD on 98 targets against him and tied for 1st in the NFL with 17 forced incompletions. I’ve come to realize that Fangio’s defense isn’t predicated on getting some elite, shutdown corner on an island... as long as a CB is smart, a good tackler, has nice ball skills, and can click-and-close with urgency— that’s all he really covets.
                  2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
                  Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

Health has always been the concern with him but he’s been a great player when on the field. He’s always going to be near the top of the league for pass deflections, I think he had 20+ his rookie season and never under 10 in any season despite the injuries. He’s a guy that knows what it takes to win a Super Bowl and that’s always a plus. If he stays healthy he’s going to bring some much needed consistency to the right side of the field.

Although I have to wonder if this move played into letting Jackson go since Jackson would be the S on Darby’s side. Parks hasn’t been resigned yet but I hope he comes back to start there at SS. He’s underrated and is pretty solid wherever he lines up at. I doubt Dawson is in play because that injury was nasty. Marshall might finally get an extended look, maybe he ends up finally capitalizing on all his early college hype.

Edit: It does appear that we aren’t valuing turnovers yet again though and that’s a bit sad to see because we’ve really struggled in that area for awhile.

Comment

Good player when healthy but risky signing. When I saw the injury history I thought Callahan 2.0. We'll be fortunate if he plays the whole season.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                        Eh, most WFT fans who watched Darby play last season would have easily given him $10M APY. I think it’s actually a steal for a solid starting CB who only allowed 1 TD on 98 targets against him and tied for 1st in the NFL with 17 forced incompletions. I’ve come to realize that Fangio’s defense isn’t predicated on getting some elite, shutdown corner on an island... as long as a CB is smart, a good tackler, has nice ball skills, and can click-and-close with urgency— that’s all he really covets.
                        What are you basing that on exactly ? Making it up because it sounds good ? Had a scroll through their forums and they seemed to pretty much agree that he had a solid year, but was inconsistent and benefitted greatly from the elite Washington defensive front. They believed the fact he had the 2nd most allowed yards on deep attempts against for any corner in the league explained that. So yeah, I really didn't get that opinion from the masses from what I was reading.

Comment

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post

What are you basing that on exactly ? Making it up because it sounds good ? Had a scroll through their forums and they seemed to pretty much agree that he had a solid year, but was inconsistent and benefitted greatly from the elite Washington defensive front. They believed the fact he had the 2nd most allowed yards on deep attempts against for any corner in the league explained that. So yeah, I really didn't get that opinion from the masses from what I was reading.
                          Nah, just scrolling through WFT Twitter and Reddit... which likely carries just as much weight (albeit not much, to be honest). I mean, that elite WFT defensive front doesn't affect those DB stats I cited. When the ball is in the air, the responsibility is on Darby to make the play. Granted, he's not going to get interceptions-- but he has the requisite ball-skills necessary to be successful in Fangio's system. He did get caught biting on some double moves and got burned a couple times by Amari Cooper, so he's far from perfect in that regard. Darby had Troy Apke as one of his safeties, man... imagine when he has someone who is the total opposite of a liability in two-high safety shells in Justin Simmons. I'm not saying Darby is a complete shutdown guy, because he isn't... but for what I could see him being asked to do in our system-- I think he is a solid fit.

This a great play Darby makes on a deep ball in Cover 4. This was one of the plays where he got burnt by Cooper. Notice a common theme? That kind of stuff won't happen (I hope) as frequently in Fangio's secondary with our personnel.

Darby was better than the other starting WFT CB, Kendall Fuller. Now he gets paid just as much by us. Again, $10M APY for a starting outside CB who "had a solid year" is fine. We literally paid Bouye $13M for barely 7 games. I'm admittedly too much of an optimist, so to know that Paton & Co. went out and got their #1 target at CB in FA for Fangio's scheme makes me happy and excited.
                          2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
                          Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

I am hoping Darby is just one addition though. A nice solid CB for a depleted Bronco secondary.

But is Darby the theoretical #1 CB or is another of equal or better ability still coming? Is a high draft pick being used to add third talented CB or as a projected starter.

The overall picture matters. We might have to show some patience until it is all revealed.

Comment

Not sure how anybody can like this signing.... Dude played 20 games from 2017-2019. throw away last year, bc he was aiming for a contract. We get another DB who will be fortunate to play 10/16 games.

WFT played KC well so maybe he had a good game and we went crazy bc of that, like KC took Schwartz bc he could block Von.

hill will humiliate Darby twice a year tho

Comment

Working...
                              X