Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Von Miller A DB For Life?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...inal-year-team

I really do hope that Denver can and will keep in a DB4L. I really think that Von and Chubb will be Outstanding this Year for sure. I am prediciting that Von Miller will lead this Team to the Playoffs this Year 2021 and hopefully back to the Superbowl.

With the salary cap and FA it is just inherently difficult to keep a HOF type player on one team for his entire career. At some point the on-field value of the player will diminish and the team will be put in a position where they would overpay to keep him around. Or the player would be put in a spot where they take considerably less than they're used to making.

Both situations are tough. The team using up more cap space on an aging vet if they want to keep him. Or if they don't the player being put in a position to swallow his pride and take a big reduction in salary to stay around, or leave and make more money elsewhere. None of use will ever know how that feels for a player, and I always cringe when I hear fans demanding players take "hometown discounts." not recognizing two facts.

1: A pro athlete is making money to take care of himself and his family for the next 30-40 years. Very rarely does a pro athlete jump from their athletic career to an immediately lucrative 2nd career. It happens but it is very much the exception.

2. When an aging vet is given the choice between a "hometown discount" or another offer, that is very likely going to be the last contract they sign in football. Imagine it is the year you are about to retire. You could work for the same company (who by the way asks you to take a 50% cut in pay) or you could leave that company for another company that will match what you made the previous year.

Some players make it work. Fitzgerald is likely a one team guy and he's a no doubt first ballot HOFer. So from Von's situation, it'd be great if his on field play can match what he wants to be paid over the next 4-5 years. If he finishes with us it'd be a rare treat. If not, he's still an all-time great and an all-time Bronco with nothing but fond memories here.

A book I wrote

Comment

Originally posted by CTM View Post
      With the salary cap and FA it is just inherently difficult to keep a HOF type player on one team for his entire career. At some point the on-field value of the player will diminish and the team will be put in a position where they would overpay to keep him around. Or the player would be put in a spot where they take considerably less than they're used to making.

Both situations are tough. The team using up more cap space on an aging vet if they want to keep him. Or if they don't the player being put in a position to swallow his pride and take a big reduction in salary to stay around, or leave and make more money elsewhere. None of use will ever know how that feels for a player, and I always cringe when I hear fans demanding players take "hometown discounts." not recognizing two facts.

1: A pro athlete is making money to take care of himself and his family for the next 30-40 years. Very rarely does a pro athlete jump from their athletic career to an immediately lucrative 2nd career. It happens but it is very much the exception.

2. When an aging vet is given the choice between a "hometown discount" or another offer, that is very likely going to be the last contract they sign in football. Imagine it is the year you are about to retire. You could work for the same company (who by the way asks you to take a 50% cut in pay) or you could leave that company for another company that will match what you made the previous year.

Some players make it work. Fitzgerald is likely a one team guy and he's a no doubt first ballot HOFer. So from Von's situation, it'd be great if his on field play can match what he wants to be paid over the next 4-5 years. If he finishes with us it'd be a rare treat. If not, he's still an all-time great and an all-time Bronco with nothing but fond memories here.

Very Nice Write Up. 100% Truth. Von Miller #58 will always be a Denver Bronco No Matter What TeamLands #58.

Comment

It all depends on how much money he is will to play for.

One of the most consistent things I have seen on defensive aging elite players since the Salary Cap era was other teams are willing to pay more for them than the teams they with.
        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
          It all depends on how much money he is will to play for.

One of the most consistent things I have seen on defensive aging elite players since the Salary Cap era was other teams are willing to pay more for them than the teams they with.
          Have to agree that money will determine whether Miller is a Bronco for life or not.
          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
          You Mad Bro?
          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post

Have to agree that money will determine whether Miller is a Bronco for life or not.

And this is what Bothers me. I would hate to see Von Miller in another Teams Uniform like the Dallas Cowboys or even worse a AFC West Team. I would like to see Von finish his career with the Denver Broncos.

Comment

And that is where it's all on von if he truly wants to be a bronco for life, because while he may be offered more money to go elsewhere he must decide which is means more to him... loyalty or money.

Because honestly even though he could probably get more with another team, one has to ask...just how much damn money do you need.

These players are millionaires and at some point people need to realize they honestly don't need the extra money, so we shall see how von feels about all that.
              sigpic

Comment

I'm hoping Von is DB4L. It's tough the way free agency is now, but I think it depends on how well him and Chubb play this year. Chubb's up for a big contract, so if he stays healthy and has a great year, he's getting a huge contract. I doubt we have the money to keep Von and Chubb after this year. My hopes is we have enough to make a Von a respectable offer and keep him with Chubb, similar to him and Ware. Those two may wreck havoc this season if healthy.

Comment

Working...
                X