• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gtown53
    replied
    Originally posted by DwhitetheGamer View Post

We found a Lewis Hamilton hater.
    I don't "hate" Lewis Hamilton', at all. And I don't particularly care for the inference.

He is a better than average driver who has been brilliant in his choice of joining McLaren when they had a dominant car, and then moving to Mercedes when there wasn't a car on this planet that could compete with Mercedes. Smart guy who just made a smart investment in the Broncos. And that's all that it is. An investment.

As a driver, I think there are several F1 drivers, throughout history, who Hamilton couldn't compete with in a million years. Like Ayrton Senna. Or Jochen Rindt. Unfortunately most of them raced in an era when driving in Formula One was close to a death sentence.

One driver who is responsible for Hamilton's success is Jackie Stewart who changed Formula One from a yearly bloodbath to a relatively safe sport. And keep in mind that when Hamilton was at the height of his skills in a car superior to every other car on the track, his teammate Rosberg took the championship away from Hamilton.

I'm not overly impressed with the guy as a driver no matter how many WDCs he's won. But he's a brilliant strategist who abandoned his home country of England for Monaco so he wouldn't have to pay the taxes that everyone else in England has to pay.

Hope this helps!!!

Leave a comment:

• DwhitetheGamer
    replied
    Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
    What a joke.

Please, move the Broncos to London, or Lewis' new tax-dodging residence of Monaco, so Denver can get a new, "real" NFL franchise.

And it's sad because Ive been following the Broncos since 1968.
    We found a Lewis Hamilton hater.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
    What a joke.

Please, move the Broncos to London, or Lewis' new tax-dodging residence of Monaco, so Denver can get a new, "real" NFL franchise.

The Broncos are a real NFL franchise. They’re one of the best during the Super Bowl era.

They aren’t going anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• gtown53
    replied
    What a joke.

Leave a comment:

• BiscuitBronco
    replied
    Hamilton overcame much adversity and prejudice to become a legend in Formula One. He's widely known in much of the world Not the most sparkling of characters but undeniably brilliant and single minded. Sure he had a dominant car but not so dominant that an average or good FI driver could have come close to the success he's earnt. I don't particularly warm to him, but admire what he's achieved.

For sure he can raise the profile of our beloved franchise, but there is zero chance the Broncos would relocate to the UK... there's simply not the interest here, and I doubt ever will be.

Leave a comment:

• beemerboy
    replied
    Originally posted by teetdogs View Post

LIke I said, just a thought that popped into my head when I heard the news. Not that I think it would happen, just a random thought.
    When I read your post my random thought was that you've been 'mokin dope.

Leave a comment:

• Peanut
    replied
    Originally posted by Broncos1963 View Post
    This is the first thing the new owners have done that I don't like. I'm a big F1 fan but don't care for Hamilton. That said, he will increase international exposure, especially in Britain.
    I agree with that. Want to get more exposure outside the US? Get a high-profile, popular (mostly) person to become part owner.

LIke I said, just a thought that popped into my head when I heard the news. Not that I think it would happen, just a random thought.
    Random thoughts can be scary.

If that's their long term goal, getting Hamilton is a smart move. I just hope they stay in Denver.

Leave a comment:

• teetdogs
    replied
    Originally posted by beemerboy View Post

The Jag's owner is an international type. The Walton family has a presence in CO. As a franchise, the Jag's suck as in they have little history. There is NFW the NFL would allow a storied franchise like the Broncos to move abroad. The Jag's? Who friggin' cares??

Leave a comment:

• beemerboy
    replied
    One thing that is in the back of my mind is that this is helping pave the way towards a move to London. Just a random not likely to happen thought that popped into my head.
    The Jag's owner is an international type. The Walton family has a presence in CO. As a franchise, the Jag's suck as in they have little history. There is NFW the NFL would allow a storied franchise like the Broncos to move abroad. The Jag's? Who friggin' cares??

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    One thing that is in the back of my mind is that this is helping pave the way towards a move to London. Just a random not likely to happen thought that popped into my head.
    I think Shad Khan would challenge Rob Walton to a bare knuckles brawl for who gets to move a team to London.

Leave a comment:

• GMTD
    replied
    Originally posted by famicommander View Post
    I have no idea who that is.
    He's a Formula 1 motor racing driver from Stevenage near London who has won a record equalling 7 World Championship titles, and earns (in salary alone) around 40M USD per year. He's very famous and extremely high profile. At least outside the US.

Leave a comment:

• teetdogs
    replied

Leave a comment:

• beemerboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Broncos1963 View Post
    This is the first thing the new owners have done that I don't like. I'm a big F1 fan but don't care for Hamilton. That said, he will increase international exposure, especially in Britain.
    I think this is the most plausible explanation and to it I'll add my own take; The Broncos now have three minority members who collectively would buy into the franchise at a certain percentage level, say 5%. It looks good on paper and to the public but in the overall scheme of things means very little.

Leave a comment:

• dbfansincefeb87
    replied
    I'm in the UK , I've never heard anything about Hamilton being a Broncos fan but I don't follow F1 at all , whether its coincidental with him buying property in Colorado or if say he became fond of the Broncos as a schoolkid during the Terrell Davis years I don't know , I don't see what damage it makes in the collective scheme of things though.

Leave a comment:

• Broncos1963
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X