Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think we should go corner or Tight end in the first round.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
    Our first round pick will be a DE, that's a positive.

    Heath Miller won't be around at 25, and I'm inclined to keep Putzier and draft for defense.

    However, if we lose Putzier in FA, then, and only then, do I believe we may trade up and make a play at Miller. I do not believe that will happen though. But if we lose Putzier, TE becomes a serious issue. Of course, Bubba Franks is a possibility in that situation as well.

    In the second round, the quality D-linemen will be gone. You may have a "reach" DT available that might be worth a gamble, but the second round looks pretty strong for O-linemen, specifically guards. Depending on our FA success, I could see this pick going towards an interior lineman.

    It's really too early to tell, but it seems to me DE at pick 25 is a lock, and the 2nd round pick is completely best player available.
    Okay, what if there's an unexpected run on defensive linemen in the first round and we find ourselves looking at late second round talent D-linemen? Should the Broncos draft on need and go D-line anyway? Or should we look elsewhere? I hate drafting on need but we have a serious need. Tough situation.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

    Comment


    • #17
      If there's a run on D linemen (god that would suck) we should grab david baas, then in the second get mike patterson. Or, i supposed we could just trade out of the first, maybe get 2 seconds?

      I like my defensive tackles like I like my women: well over 300 lbs.
      ABWRFRC

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
        Our first round pick will be a DE, that's a positive.

        It's really too early to tell, but it seems to me DE at pick 25 is a lock, and the 2nd round pick is completely best player available.

        I hope you are wrong. I want them to draft Best player avaliable, no matter what. Saying they are going to draft a DE, no matter what, is a plan doomed to fail....

        Comment


        • #19
          Take a run at Carlos Rogers or Shaun Cody in the first round...if Roth is still there...then take him...

          Jason Campbell in the Second

          They just need to be sure to maximize their draft options via the Droughns trade...

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Javalon
            Okay, what if there's an unexpected run on defensive linemen in the first round and we find ourselves looking at late second round talent D-linemen? Should the Broncos draft on need and go D-line anyway? Or should we look elsewhere? I hate drafting on need but we have a serious need. Tough situation.
            Barring trades, we HAVE to pick a DE/DT.

            If nothing else, this year proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that we can't win unless we get some pressure on the QB.

            - It's unrealistic to bank on Pryce coming back and being dominant, and he's been in a steady decline for a few years before his injury anyhow.

            - It's not only possible, but completely realistic, that we lose Hayward. He will ask for a contract similar to Berry's 5 year, 25 million deal w/ a 5 mil + signing bonus.


            So, if we don't sign a key D-line player, which we won't because If we have any money we will use it all on Hayward, the only way to improve our feeble pass rush is the draft.

            I mean, what else is going to happen?
            - Marco Coleman, if resigned, brings a decent wave DEs, but his stats over the last 5-6 years haven't changed. No miracle pressure there.

            - Luther Elliss is severly injured and probably will retire.

            - Elliss Johnson wants big money, and if we resign him, there's no guarantee he will ever be dominent like he was for that one season in Atlanta's 3-4 defense. However, there very well could be some miracle pass rush here...if we can afford to resign him, if he doesn't retire, and if he gets in shape for once.

            - Fetafehi, Pope are ok at DT for clogging lineman, but they can't collapse the pocket, and shouldnt be starters. Pope has some upside, but no miracle pressure is going to happen here.

            - Dorsett Davis has potential, but he's played 11 games in 3 years and can't stay healthy. Who really knows what he can do, he's an enigma. He's also a FA, and there is no telling if we resign him or not. Theoretically, albeit not likely, he could supply a miracle pass rush.

            - Hayward does fine, but we most likely can't afford him, but if we do, he brings pass rushing skills but little else. He's not good against the run, but at least he puts pressure on teh QB. He's not going to get much better though, so the pressure he will provide will be the same as this year, which is not enough by itself.

            - Trevor Pryce. 300lb men dont come back from spinal problems and dominate. That's a fact. Its all about leverage, and leverage originates from your spine, hence, the problem in the first place. He's going to be an expensive, injury threat from here until he retires, which could be very soon. I would say there's a possibility for a miraculous recovery and some instant QB pressure, but in reality, there is not. Even if he heals up to a degree, he'll be a shadow of himself, especially for this next season.

            - Patrick Chukwarah. He looks good to me, but he's young and hardly played at all this year. Probably more suitable as an OLB in a 3-4, he may develop into a smallish but successful DE in a few years. Not likely to provide a miracle pass rush this next season.


            Right now, our BEST CASE scenario is to:
            - Hold onto Hayward, who will bring his typical 50ish tackle, 10ish sack season.
            - Resign Johnson, hope he turns into the 35ish tackle, 10ish sack threat he was in Atlanta.
            - Plug in Fetafehi and Pope for their combined 5 sacks and 50 tackles, if that.
            - Pray beyond all reasonableness that Trevor comes back and has a 50 tackle, 10 sack season. (I predict, if he can actually play again, a 30 tackle, 5 sack season).
            - Hope Coleman resigns and contributes another 25 tackles, 3-5 sacks.
            - Pray Chukwarah supplies some pass rush here and there from DE.


            Even in the best case scenario, we aren't a dominating line because we have no one to collapse the pocket, despite some speed rushers. Which means it's an all or nothing deal, get to the QB, or he has all day to pick apart our secondary. Same thing as this year and we saw how that turned out.



            Summary:
            We can't afford D-line help in FA, the best we can do is spend all our money to keep Hayward and Johnson. The Broncos have absolutely no choice, they must get 2nd string (at least) players for the D-line who can cause immediate pressure. If we dont, the same thing will happen as the last few years.

            So basically, in answer to your question Javalon. They have to draft need, because they aren't going to get help from anywhere else. And if they don't fix that D-line, next year will be a replay of this year.

            Comment


            • #21
              Best post of the year....

              Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
              Barring trades, we HAVE to pick a DE/DT.

              If nothing else, this year proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that we can't win unless we get some pressure on the QB.

              - It's unrealistic to bank on Pryce coming back and being dominant, and he's been in a steady decline for a few years before his injury anyhow.

              - It's not only possible, but completely realistic, that we lose Hayward. He will ask for a contract similar to Berry's 5 year, 25 million deal w/ a 5 mil + signing bonus.


              So, if we don't sign a key D-line player, which we won't because If we have any money we will use it all on Hayward, the only way to improve our feeble pass rush is the draft.

              I mean, what else is going to happen?
              - Marco Coleman, if resigned, brings a decent wave DEs, but his stats over the last 5-6 years haven't changed. No miracle pressure there.

              - Luther Elliss is severly injured and probably will retire.

              - Elliss Johnson wants big money, and if we resign him, there's no guarantee he will ever be dominent like he was for that one season in Atlanta's 3-4 defense. However, there very well could be some miracle pass rush here...if we can afford to resign him, if he doesn't retire, and if he gets in shape for once.

              - Fetafehi, Pope are ok at DT for clogging lineman, but they can't collapse the pocket, and shouldnt be starters. Pope has some upside, but no miracle pressure is going to happen here.

              - Dorsett Davis has potential, but he's played 11 games in 3 years and can't stay healthy. Who really knows what he can do, he's an enigma. He's also a FA, and there is no telling if we resign him or not. Theoretically, albeit not likely, he could supply a miracle pass rush.

              - Hayward does fine, but we most likely can't afford him, but if we do, he brings pass rushing skills but little else. He's not good against the run, but at least he puts pressure on teh QB. He's not going to get much better though, so the pressure he will provide will be the same as this year, which is not enough by itself.

              - Trevor Pryce. 300lb men dont come back from spinal problems and dominate. That's a fact. Its all about leverage, and leverage originates from your spine, hence, the problem in the first place. He's going to be an expensive, injury threat from here until he retires, which could be very soon. I would say there's a possibility for a miraculous recovery and some instant QB pressure, but in reality, there is not. Even if he heals up to a degree, he'll be a shadow of himself, especially for this next season.

              - Patrick Chukwarah. He looks good to me, but he's young and hardly played at all this year. Probably more suitable as an OLB in a 3-4, he may develop into a smallish but successful DE in a few years. Not likely to provide a miracle pass rush this next season.


              Right now, our BEST CASE scenario is to:
              - Hold onto Hayward, who will bring his typical 50ish tackle, 10ish sack season.
              - Resign Johnson, hope he turns into the 35ish tackle, 10ish sack threat he was in Atlanta.
              - Plug in Fetafehi and Pope for their combined 5 sacks and 50 tackles, if that.
              - Pray beyond all reasonableness that Trevor comes back and has a 50 tackle, 10 sack season. (I predict, if he can actually play again, a 30 tackle, 5 sack season).
              - Hope Coleman resigns and contributes another 25 tackles, 3-5 sacks.
              - Pray Chukwarah supplies some pass rush here and there from DE.


              Even in the best case scenario, we aren't a dominating line because we have no one to collapse the pocket, despite some speed rushers. Which means it's an all or nothing deal, get to the QB, or he has all day to pick apart our secondary. Same thing as this year and we saw how that turned out.



              Summary:
              We can't afford D-line help in FA, the best we can do is spend all our money to keep Hayward and Johnson. The Broncos have absolutely no choice, they must get 2nd string (at least) players for the D-line who can cause immediate pressure. If we dont, the same thing will happen as the last few years.

              So basically, in answer to your question Javalon. They have to draft need, because they aren't going to get help from anywhere else. And if they don't fix that D-line, next year will be a replay of this year.
              Everything you said is the straight truth, Mat. Mirrors what I said twice in these forums. Those that still think a new TE is going to solve our problems just don't see it. For those that think Miller at TE is the answer, I hope we do take him, so we can go 10-6 for a 3rd year and get booted out of the playoffs in the first round again. Then maybe you'll see that TE was not the problem.

              Comment

              Working...
              X