Puzzling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puzzling?

What is puzzling to me about the lack of direct needs being addressed in FA by the Broncos while losing there own is the contracts that others are signing with other teams.
    Kffl.com (link below) has a number of new contract details on the recent free agent signings. Many players ARE agreeing to the familiar back loaded contract. Even Jason Ferguson, the premier NT in FA signed a deal with a cap # of only $700,000 for 2005. Pat Williams, another solid NT has a base salary in 2005 of 1.4 million.
    Yes the deals are severely backloaded with the intention that the players will ultimately be released by that time with a slight cap hit, but the simple fact that this year's top FA's (Derrick Mason $1million cap hit for 2005) are buying what teams are selling makes it all the more puzzling that the Broncos have stayed out of the fray even though they are cap strapped. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the Broncos offseason plays out.
    http://www.kffl.com/hotw/

Originally posted by jletourneau
    What is puzzling to me about the lack of direct needs being addressed in FA by the Broncos while losing there own is the contracts that others are signing with other teams.
    Kffl.com (link below) has a number of new contract details on the recent free agent signings. Many players ARE agreeing to the familiar back loaded contract. Even Jason Ferguson, the premier NT in FA signed a deal with a cap # of only $700,000 for 2005. Pat Williams, another solid NT has a base salary in 2005 of 1.4 million.
    Yes the deals are severely backloaded with the intention that the players will ultimately be released by that time with a slight cap hit, but the simple fact that this year's top FA's (Derrick Mason $1million cap hit for 2005) are buying what teams are selling makes it all the more puzzling that the Broncos have stayed out of the fray even though they are cap strapped. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the Broncos offseason plays out.
    http://www.kffl.com/hotw/
    contracts that are backloaded can be trouble, especially if the money is signing bonus, that is what the player's are garunteed and if they are cut, becomes dead money on the cap
    Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
    http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

I adopt Erica Weston

Comment

contracts

I totally understand the trouble of a backloaded contract and the signing bonus, I was simply pointing out that the contracts being signed by many of the top FA's this year have been quite cap friendly THIS year. If Denver truly is only a couple pieces away, as Shanahan stated before, the opportunity to fill holes has definitely been there with a few particular players. It has not been as out of the realm of possiblity perhaps as it has seemed for the Broncos to acquire the necessary pieces. Neither Pat Williams nor Jason Ferguson (top two NT's) are aging veterans, yet still took less base year money up front in their contracts. Ferguson was not going to come to Denver regardless, but the possibilities ARE out there this year to creatively structure a deal even for a cap strapped team like the Broncos while still preserving their future.

Comment

My personal opinion is that the Broncos front office consists of morons. They apparently have a plan which is to be mediocre and make questionable FA moves each offseason while avoiding the players they should concentrate on signing.

I have no problem letting Heyward and Kennedy walk. I have no problem trading Pryce. I have major issues with signing Gold over D-line help. I have massive issues with not going after Marquise Douglas. I have massive issues with low tendering Putzier in the first place and putting yourself in a bad position.

Our frontoffice is just not very good, especially if you compare it to front offices like the Patriots and Ravens. By front office, I refer directly to Shanahan. The guy needs to focus on coaching and be banned from the draft and Free Agency.

Comment

Working...
        X