David Baas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Baas

The longer I wait for the draft to roll around the more and more i kind of hope that we draft this guy with the #25 pick. Our Oline has been good over the past few years but it hasnt been anything near what it once was when it comes to pushing other teams around. I liked seeing Foster knock people around last year with his size and strength but besides him there really isnt anyone on the line that pushes people around. Nalen and Hamilton are great players but neither guy pushes people around and just dominates people when it comes to the running game. And Lepsis definatly isnt the type to knock people on their a$$... Im starting to think maybe David Baas could help Foster when it comes to pushing people around and making our oline elite again. The fact Nalen is almost ready for retirement plays into it a bit too i guess. When Nalen does retire Baas would give us 2 options instead of just 1 for replacing him. Baas might make a better center then Hamilton when the time comes to retire Nalen's jersey. And when Nalen retires we are going to be in dire need of a replacement when it comes to someone to "lead" the line as an elite top flight player. Of course we do have other needs as well. Id be happy with a good player at other positions but we do need a guard and have to get 1 with either money or a draft pick. With the way teams draft tackles over guards we could get the best guard in the draft...

I love this guy and would welcome him as a premier guard in the NFL someday. I am not sure anyone will pick a guard in the first round though. Traditionally that is just too high for guards. As it stands now he is the 6-8 best OL prospect. I would imagine the three tackles will go in the middle to end of round one and the rest of the guys will fall out in the second round. Chances are that he is still around when we pick in round 2.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG AL
      The longer I wait for the draft to roll around the more and more i kind of hope that we draft this guy with the #25 pick. Our Oline has been good over the past few years but it hasnt been anything near what it once was when it comes to pushing other teams around. I liked seeing Foster knock people around last year with his size and strength but besides him there really isnt anyone on the line that pushes people around. Nalen and Hamilton are great players but neither guy pushes people around and just dominates people when it comes to the running game. And Lepsis definatly isnt the type to knock people on their a$$... Im starting to think maybe David Baas could help Foster when it comes to pushing people around and making our oline elite again. The fact Nalen is almost ready for retirement plays into it a bit too i guess. When Nalen does retire Baas would give us 2 options instead of just 1 for replacing him. Baas might make a better center then Hamilton when the time comes to retire Nalen's jersey. And when Nalen retires we are going to be in dire need of a replacement when it comes to someone to "lead" the line as an elite top flight player. Of course we do have other needs as well. Id be happy with a good player at other positions but we do need a guard and have to get 1 with either money or a draft pick. With the way teams draft tackles over guards we could get the best guard in the draft...
      this should be in the 2005 draft forum but anyways, dave baas is not a 1st round pick, very rarely are guards picked in the 1st and he isnt one of those premier guards, elton brown might make bottom of first, but dave baas is a sound bet as being a 2nd rounder

i believe we are just hanging around but we may end up resigning cooper carlisle and have him start, the draft is deep with C/G's so picking up someone in the lower rounds, you would still get some premier talent guard-wise and you can develope guards, less talented guys can step in and play well if you have 2 good OT's
      Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
      http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

I adopt Erica Weston

Comment

Well if he was around when our 2nd round pick came up it would be insane not to draft him with that pick thats for sure. There is no way he's gonna be available at the end of the 2nd round tho. Teams do treat guards like the plague when it comes to drafts tho and draft tackle after tackle in the 1st round. This actually works into our favor tho since our pick sucks. And elite guards do go in the 1st round. Baas is listed going in the area we are drafting in on numerous bogus draft "lists" ive seen spewed out by the various media sources... We do have other needs of course. But we do need a guard and Nalen will be retiring soon and Baas also has experience playing guard too. Which along with Hamilton gives us 2 options instead of 1 down the line too. The more and more i think about it the less upset i would be if they drafted this guy at #25...

Comment

Originally posted by BIG AL
          Well if he was around when our 2nd round pick came up it would be insane not to draft him with that pick thats for sure. There is no way he's gonna be available at the end of the 2nd round tho. Teams do treat guards like the plague when it comes to drafts tho and draft tackle after tackle in the 1st round. This actually works into our favor tho since our pick sucks. And elite guards do go in the 1st round. Baas is listed going in the area we are drafting in on numerous bogus draft "lists" ive seen spewed out by the various media sources... We do have other needs of course. But we do need a guard and Nalen will be retiring soon and Baas also has experience playing guard too. Which along with Hamilton gives us 2 options instead of 1 down the line too. The more and more i think about it the less upset i would be if they drafted this guy at #25...
          i agree we need G's but its not even an immediate concern if we resign cooper carlisle, where as we have NOTHING at DE at this present moment, so not drafting a DE would be foolish
          Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
          http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

I adopt Erica Weston

Comment

Well we definatly a defensive end. And a guard. We have to buy 1 of them. Ive seen Cooper play and ive seen Baas play and Cooper just cant hang. David Baas is an elite guard if you ask me. He has a great combination of mobility, strength and skills. He can play guard and center and he blows people off the ball unlike the majority of players on our oline. Foster is the only guy on our line that can take a guy and just toss him around like hes nothing. Thats what ive seen Baas do on quite the few occasions. Some guys are strong and some guys are quick and some guys arent either but are just real good at actually playing the game. Baas seems to be all 3 from what ive seen. Stong, fast and actually knows what to do once he gets his hands on somebody. I wouldnt mind drafting a defensive end but i have a feeling Baas will be twice the player any end we draft at #25 will be. The NFL treats guards like the plague. It reminds me of the NBA and their obsession with height. They will pass on Bobby Jackson and Jameer Nelson time and time again to draft some big 7 foot stiff who cant play worth a *****. Thats what i see with the NFL and guards sometimes. I definatly would not be angry if we drafted Baas. He fits our needs in many ways...

Comment

In ALL liklihood we will trade down to upper 2nd round to get an extra pick, and that is where we will see a possible move to pick up one of the elite guards.

Comment

I think Elton Brown, David Baas, and Kemoatu (spelling??) out of Utah are all primier guards and the lineman out of BYU isn't half bad either. There are going to be people available that could really help the Broncos. Now, will we draft them?

Comment

Bass reminds me alot of Hutchinson when he was in college. And IMO Hutchinson has developed into the best Guard in the NFL. He is a road grater.

Comment

"maybe if Baas falls to the second round, maybe....but Ben Hamilton was re-signed as the future replacement for Nalen at Center, so Baas would have to be a RG, and you don't spend first rounders on RG's as they are the easiest O-linemen to come by..."

Gettin a decent guard might be easy to come by. What im talkin about is taking a shot at getting a great guard. Not a decent one. I havent seen Elton Brown play but ive seen the big kid from Utah play and while he is good he is not anything like Baas is...

Comment

I agree with the second round statement. Guards just dont get drafted in the first round. If he falls to the second I would say jump on him.

Comment

Working...
                      X