No announcement yet.

what about Ernest shazor safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I may, I'd like to comment on the last few posts (again, another great draft discussion by the best posters on the site). As some of you may know, I am a year-round draft junkie, and try to watch and follow as many prospects as possible. Anyways, I'll start with the safeties.

Mediocracy is not improved with more mediocre talent. While Denver's secondary isn't mediocre, it isn't particularly "stunning" either. Removing Kennedy, and replaceing him with an average Ferguson doesn't improve the prospectus of the secondary. Also, anytime there is a surplus in the draft, you must tap into it. It's like drilling for oil; you put your derek in a region plentiful in petroleum, not in a region lacking depth and quality aquifers (Oklahoma analogy). Look at the Eagles of the 2002 NFL Draft. Wanting secondary help, they went to the plentiful CB well twice, landing two future standouts in Shepherd and Brown. While Denver probably shouldn't draft two safeties, it would be foolish to not take a stab at one of the many quality safeties available this year. While I'm not as high on Underwood, I do like Bullocks. who is the best centerfielder in the Draft, in the second. But, Denver doesn't have to take that route in the second. The beauty of depth is that it becomes a buyer's maket, and better safeties fall to later, and cheaper, rounds. Guys like James Butler of GT, O.J. Atogwe of Stanford, ad even Donte Nicholson of Oklahoma could fall to late third or even fifth round status because of the depth at safety. All three have their flaws, but each has upside all in the same. Nicholson bears watching, a SS in college shouldn't fool you, Oklahoma loved to play a two deep style, and Nicholson can make plays against both the run and the pass. He would be a reach in the second, but a steal in the fourth. Still, if better pass defense is what you want, Bullocks can cover the deep half with the best of 'em, and those big plays given up by Denver are cut down significantly.

The Eagles of '02 bring up another good point, don't pigeon hole your draft for the immediate future. When Brown and Shepherd were taken, Philly already had the best CB tandem in the NFC East. But, by the time Vincent and Taylor's contracts ended, the Eagles were already set at the position with younger, CHEAPER talent. By looking ahead three years, the Eagles used the draft as a tool for fiscal responsibility. If you don't believe this, why do they always have 15 million or more to work with? Now, Philly hasn't had glearing weaknesses the past few years, like Denver, but that speaks more on every move Philly Management makes, not just their draft, but it bears noting. What it means for Denver is that while the first round can address immediate needs, don't view every pick as a way to fill a current hole, look down the road to avoid cap troubles. So if Denver does take Williamson in the first round, don't piss and moan about the selection, understand that in two years, when Smith is gone, a Williamson, Lelie, Watts trio at reciever never skips a beat, and money is not allocated to replace the loss. It is just an example and not a forecast (but do note that I am high on this guy, really high, and I'll discuss it more as the draft nears.)

One more thing, Spencer is great, but you will need a top 15 second round pick to land him, he is soaring up draft boards and is the best interior offensive player in th draft. Yet, it would be a travesty if we did not have Evan Mathis in the top two on our board of Interior linemen. He just fits the scheme and is as strong as an ox, check the reps. Great player, my second favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by OhNoKoolAid
      If I may, I'd like to comment on the last few posts (again, another great draft discussion by the best posters on the site). As some of you may know, I am a year-round draft junkie, and try to watch and follow as many prospects as possible. Anyways, I'll start with the safeties.

Mediocracy is not improved with more mediocre talent. While Denver's secondary isn't mediocre, it isn't particularly "stunning" either. Removing Kennedy, and replaceing him with an average Ferguson doesn't improve the prospectus of the secondary. Also, anytime there is a surplus in the draft, you must tap into it. It's like drilling for oil; you put your derek in a region plentiful in petroleum, not in a region lacking depth and quality aquifers (Oklahoma analogy). Look at the Eagles of the 2002 NFL Draft. Wanting secondary help, they went to the plentiful CB well twice, landing two future standouts in Shepherd and Brown. While Denver probably shouldn't draft two safeties, it would be foolish to not take a stab at one of the many quality safeties available this year. While I'm not as high on Underwood, I do like Bullocks. who is the best centerfielder in the Draft, in the second. But, Denver doesn't have to take that route in the second. The beauty of depth is that it becomes a buyer's maket, and better safeties fall to later, and cheaper, rounds. Guys like James Butler of GT, O.J. Atogwe of Stanford, ad even Donte Nicholson of Oklahoma could fall to late third or even fifth round status because of the depth at safety. All three have their flaws, but each has upside all in the same. Nicholson bears watching, a SS in college shouldn't fool you, Oklahoma loved to play a two deep style, and Nicholson can make plays against both the run and the pass. He would be a reach in the second, but a steal in the fourth. Still, if better pass defense is what you want, Bullocks can cover the deep half with the best of 'em, and those big plays given up by Denver are cut down significantly.

The Eagles of '02 bring up another good point, don't pigeon hole your draft for the immediate future. When Brown and Shepherd were taken, Philly already had the best CB tandem in the NFC East. But, by the time Vincent and Taylor's contracts ended, the Eagles were already set at the position with younger, CHEAPER talent. By looking ahead three years, the Eagles used the draft as a tool for fiscal responsibility. If you don't believe this, why do they always have 15 million or more to work with? Now, Philly hasn't had glearing weaknesses the past few years, like Denver, but that speaks more on every move Philly Management makes, not just their draft, but it bears noting. What it means for Denver is that while the first round can address immediate needs, don't view every pick as a way to fill a current hole, look down the road to avoid cap troubles. So if Denver does take Williamson in the first round, don't piss and moan about the selection, understand that in two years, when Smith is gone, a Williamson, Lelie, Watts trio at reciever never skips a beat, and money is not allocated to replace the loss. It is just an example and not a forecast (but do note that I am high on this guy, really high, and I'll discuss it more as the draft nears.)

One more thing, Spencer is great, but you will need a top 15 second round pick to land him, he is soaring up draft boards and is the best interior offensive player in th draft. Yet, it would be a travesty if we did not have Evan Mathis in the top two on our board of Interior linemen. He just fits the scheme and is as strong as an ox, check the reps. Great player, my second favorite.
      I understand what you're saying about Williamson, but I just don't see the need for another young WR that will take time to develop. I think that Lelie, D-Watts, Luke, B.J. Johnson, Romar Crenshaw, and Nate Jackson have the potential to be an explosive playmaking receiving corp. I think if anything we need a veteran to come in for one or two years and let the young guys thoroughly develop. I think we could use our Round 1 pick alot more wisely, but we'll see what happens on April 23 .

On the Safeties in the Draft, I think Bullocks is the cream of the crop as far as FS's go. He needs to bulk up, but a couple of years as a reserve would allow him to do that. He is a ballhawk with good hands, but he also is sound in coverage. I would love to see us grab Bullocks and have him and Chris Young as the Safeties in the future. Seeing as how as of right now we only have 3 Day 1 picks(if we get a Round 3 compensation pick), I think it would be best for us to grab Bullocks in Round 2 if he's still there. If we can trade Trevor Pryce for a 2nd or 3rd Round pick I would like to see:
      Round 1: Shaun Cody/Jammal Brown/Marcus Spears/David Pollack
      Round 2: Luis Castillo/Evan Mathis/Chris Spencer
      Round 2/3: Evan Mathis/Josh Bullocks
      Round 3(comp pick): James Butler/Scott Young

Just an idea off the top of my head, tell me what you think .
      Last edited by DPg2003; 03-13-2005, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Looks good to me. DT may or may not be a need though. Theoretically, if we sign Ellis Johnson and Luther Ellis again, and Monsanto Pope does not depart in RFA, then we have a plethora of DTs on the roster. Which means its doubtful, that Shaun Cody, Antajj Hawthore, Luis Castillo, or Mike Patterson would be drafted. Which would suck because those are the guys I'd like to follow for a few years.

So, probably need to put more DE choices in the 2nd round area, its looking like we may need at least two high draft picks at DE. The Titans drafted 3 last year.

As for safety, Bullocks or Pool would be great, but with LeSeur being drafted last draft so early, it would suggest a safety once again would be unlikely.

I think its going to be an o-line/d-line only draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
          Looks good to me. DT may or may not be a need though. Theoretically, if we sign Ellis Johnson and Luther Ellis again, and Monsanto Pope does not depart in RFA, then we have a plethora of DTs on the roster. Which means its doubtful, that Shaun Cody, Antajj Hawthore, Luis Castillo, or Mike Patterson would be drafted. Which would suck because those are the guys I'd like to follow for a few years.

So, probably need to put more DE choices in the 2nd round area, its looking like we may need at least two high draft picks at DE. The Titans drafted 3 last year.

As for safety, Bullocks or Pool would be great, but with LeSeur being drafted last draft so early, it would suggest a safety once again would be unlikely.

I think its going to be an o-line/d-line only draft.
          I think that LeSueur would be a great FS, but I haven't heard anything from management saying he was switching to FS, and I got the thinking that it might be best to leave him at CB. I think Middlebrooks is awful at CB and I think LeSueur could become a great Nickel Back. That is my reasoning for us taking a FS this year, but if management does decide to move LeSueur to FS then I agree it would be an all O-Line/D-Line draft.

As for us needing DE's more than DT, I agree, but I'd be happy with help at either one.

Comment

Working...
          X