X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPg2003
    replied
    Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
    Looks good to me. DT may or may not be a need though. Theoretically, if we sign Ellis Johnson and Luther Ellis again, and Monsanto Pope does not depart in RFA, then we have a plethora of DTs on the roster. Which means its doubtful, that Shaun Cody, Antajj Hawthore, Luis Castillo, or Mike Patterson would be drafted. Which would suck because those are the guys I'd like to follow for a few years.

So, probably need to put more DE choices in the 2nd round area, its looking like we may need at least two high draft picks at DE. The Titans drafted 3 last year.

As for safety, Bullocks or Pool would be great, but with LeSeur being drafted last draft so early, it would suggest a safety once again would be unlikely.

I think its going to be an o-line/d-line only draft.
    I think that LeSueur would be a great FS, but I haven't heard anything from management saying he was switching to FS, and I got the thinking that it might be best to leave him at CB. I think Middlebrooks is awful at CB and I think LeSueur could become a great Nickel Back. That is my reasoning for us taking a FS this year, but if management does decide to move LeSueur to FS then I agree it would be an all O-Line/D-Line draft.

As for us needing DE's more than DT, I agree, but I'd be happy with help at either one.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    Looks good to me. DT may or may not be a need though. Theoretically, if we sign Ellis Johnson and Luther Ellis again, and Monsanto Pope does not depart in RFA, then we have a plethora of DTs on the roster. Which means its doubtful, that Shaun Cody, Antajj Hawthore, Luis Castillo, or Mike Patterson would be drafted. Which would suck because those are the guys I'd like to follow for a few years.

So, probably need to put more DE choices in the 2nd round area, its looking like we may need at least two high draft picks at DE. The Titans drafted 3 last year.

As for safety, Bullocks or Pool would be great, but with LeSeur being drafted last draft so early, it would suggest a safety once again would be unlikely.

I think its going to be an o-line/d-line only draft.

Leave a comment:

• DPg2003
    replied
    Originally posted by OhNoKoolAid
    If I may, I'd like to comment on the last few posts (again, another great draft discussion by the best posters on the site). As some of you may know, I am a year-round draft junkie, and try to watch and follow as many prospects as possible. Anyways, I'll start with the safeties.

Mediocracy is not improved with more mediocre talent. While Denver's secondary isn't mediocre, it isn't particularly "stunning" either. Removing Kennedy, and replaceing him with an average Ferguson doesn't improve the prospectus of the secondary. Also, anytime there is a surplus in the draft, you must tap into it. It's like drilling for oil; you put your derek in a region plentiful in petroleum, not in a region lacking depth and quality aquifers (Oklahoma analogy). Look at the Eagles of the 2002 NFL Draft. Wanting secondary help, they went to the plentiful CB well twice, landing two future standouts in Shepherd and Brown. While Denver probably shouldn't draft two safeties, it would be foolish to not take a stab at one of the many quality safeties available this year. While I'm not as high on Underwood, I do like Bullocks. who is the best centerfielder in the Draft, in the second. But, Denver doesn't have to take that route in the second. The beauty of depth is that it becomes a buyer's maket, and better safeties fall to later, and cheaper, rounds. Guys like James Butler of GT, O.J. Atogwe of Stanford, ad even Donte Nicholson of Oklahoma could fall to late third or even fifth round status because of the depth at safety. All three have their flaws, but each has upside all in the same. Nicholson bears watching, a SS in college shouldn't fool you, Oklahoma loved to play a two deep style, and Nicholson can make plays against both the run and the pass. He would be a reach in the second, but a steal in the fourth. Still, if better pass defense is what you want, Bullocks can cover the deep half with the best of 'em, and those big plays given up by Denver are cut down significantly.

The Eagles of '02 bring up another good point, don't pigeon hole your draft for the immediate future. When Brown and Shepherd were taken, Philly already had the best CB tandem in the NFC East. But, by the time Vincent and Taylor's contracts ended, the Eagles were already set at the position with younger, CHEAPER talent. By looking ahead three years, the Eagles used the draft as a tool for fiscal responsibility. If you don't believe this, why do they always have 15 million or more to work with? Now, Philly hasn't had glearing weaknesses the past few years, like Denver, but that speaks more on every move Philly Management makes, not just their draft, but it bears noting. What it means for Denver is that while the first round can address immediate needs, don't view every pick as a way to fill a current hole, look down the road to avoid cap troubles. So if Denver does take Williamson in the first round, don't piss and moan about the selection, understand that in two years, when Smith is gone, a Williamson, Lelie, Watts trio at reciever never skips a beat, and money is not allocated to replace the loss. It is just an example and not a forecast (but do note that I am high on this guy, really high, and I'll discuss it more as the draft nears.)

One more thing, Spencer is great, but you will need a top 15 second round pick to land him, he is soaring up draft boards and is the best interior offensive player in th draft. Yet, it would be a travesty if we did not have Evan Mathis in the top two on our board of Interior linemen. He just fits the scheme and is as strong as an ox, check the reps. Great player, my second favorite.
    I understand what you're saying about Williamson, but I just don't see the need for another young WR that will take time to develop. I think that Lelie, D-Watts, Luke, B.J. Johnson, Romar Crenshaw, and Nate Jackson have the potential to be an explosive playmaking receiving corp. I think if anything we need a veteran to come in for one or two years and let the young guys thoroughly develop. I think we could use our Round 1 pick alot more wisely, but we'll see what happens on April 23 .

On the Safeties in the Draft, I think Bullocks is the cream of the crop as far as FS's go. He needs to bulk up, but a couple of years as a reserve would allow him to do that. He is a ballhawk with good hands, but he also is sound in coverage. I would love to see us grab Bullocks and have him and Chris Young as the Safeties in the future. Seeing as how as of right now we only have 3 Day 1 picks(if we get a Round 3 compensation pick), I think it would be best for us to grab Bullocks in Round 2 if he's still there. If we can trade Trevor Pryce for a 2nd or 3rd Round pick I would like to see:
    Round 1: Shaun Cody/Jammal Brown/Marcus Spears/David Pollack
    Round 2: Luis Castillo/Evan Mathis/Chris Spencer
    Round 2/3: Evan Mathis/Josh Bullocks
    Round 3(comp pick): James Butler/Scott Young

Just an idea off the top of my head, tell me what you think .
    Last edited by DPg2003; 03-13-2005, 07:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• OhNoKoolAid
    replied
    If I may, I'd like to comment on the last few posts (again, another great draft discussion by the best posters on the site). As some of you may know, I am a year-round draft junkie, and try to watch and follow as many prospects as possible. Anyways, I'll start with the safeties.

Mediocracy is not improved with more mediocre talent. While Denver's secondary isn't mediocre, it isn't particularly "stunning" either. Removing Kennedy, and replaceing him with an average Ferguson doesn't improve the prospectus of the secondary. Also, anytime there is a surplus in the draft, you must tap into it. It's like drilling for oil; you put your derek in a region plentiful in petroleum, not in a region lacking depth and quality aquifers (Oklahoma analogy). Look at the Eagles of the 2002 NFL Draft. Wanting secondary help, they went to the plentiful CB well twice, landing two future standouts in Shepherd and Brown. While Denver probably shouldn't draft two safeties, it would be foolish to not take a stab at one of the many quality safeties available this year. While I'm not as high on Underwood, I do like Bullocks. who is the best centerfielder in the Draft, in the second. But, Denver doesn't have to take that route in the second. The beauty of depth is that it becomes a buyer's maket, and better safeties fall to later, and cheaper, rounds. Guys like James Butler of GT, O.J. Atogwe of Stanford, ad even Donte Nicholson of Oklahoma could fall to late third or even fifth round status because of the depth at safety. All three have their flaws, but each has upside all in the same. Nicholson bears watching, a SS in college shouldn't fool you, Oklahoma loved to play a two deep style, and Nicholson can make plays against both the run and the pass. He would be a reach in the second, but a steal in the fourth. Still, if better pass defense is what you want, Bullocks can cover the deep half with the best of 'em, and those big plays given up by Denver are cut down significantly.

The Eagles of '02 bring up another good point, don't pigeon hole your draft for the immediate future. When Brown and Shepherd were taken, Philly already had the best CB tandem in the NFC East. But, by the time Vincent and Taylor's contracts ended, the Eagles were already set at the position with younger, CHEAPER talent. By looking ahead three years, the Eagles used the draft as a tool for fiscal responsibility. If you don't believe this, why do they always have 15 million or more to work with? Now, Philly hasn't had glearing weaknesses the past few years, like Denver, but that speaks more on every move Philly Management makes, not just their draft, but it bears noting. What it means for Denver is that while the first round can address immediate needs, don't view every pick as a way to fill a current hole, look down the road to avoid cap troubles. So if Denver does take Williamson in the first round, don't piss and moan about the selection, understand that in two years, when Smith is gone, a Williamson, Lelie, Watts trio at reciever never skips a beat, and money is not allocated to replace the loss. It is just an example and not a forecast (but do note that I am high on this guy, really high, and I'll discuss it more as the draft nears.)

One more thing, Spencer is great, but you will need a top 15 second round pick to land him, he is soaring up draft boards and is the best interior offensive player in th draft. Yet, it would be a travesty if we did not have Evan Mathis in the top two on our board of Interior linemen. He just fits the scheme and is as strong as an ox, check the reps. Great player, my second favorite.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    I agree. I really don't think management can blow this draft. It's possible, but they are going to have to work hard to mess up with our first two picks.

Leave a comment:

• DPg2003
    replied
    Originally posted by Broncology
    Nice assesment; but I think the only two players we'd need to trade up for that you listed are Jamaal Brown (who will go to the Rams if not picked earlier) and Brodney Pool; who the Saints probably have on their radar and maybe the Packers now too since Sharper is now a Viking.

Josh Bullocks and Chris Spencer are solid second rounders; either would be great additions; but I see Chris Spencer as the most obvious and best pick for us in the second round if he's still there, (I believe he is and when it's time to post my two-round mock draft; you'll see that Chris Spencer is our man in the second round).

I'm certain that this is Nalen's last year in Denver; I think his best days are behind him and he will retire from football after this year. I think we signed Hamilton semi-long term so he can take after Nalen as soon as he retires. Lepsis got his extention and I'm fairly certain he'll be our LT for some time now. George Foster is probably one of the best things to happen to Denver in the past drafts; I really like this guy and I think he's an indication we're moving towards a beefier line; so we're secure at RT. Pending on whether we sign Carlisle or not; after next year we're going to have two big holes at our guard spots on our offensive line.

LT: Lepsis -- C: Hamilton -- RT: Foster

Look at it this way; out of Carlisle, Alexander, Clabo and Stuber -- are there two that are suited to play guard at all? I'm not sure; Carlisle look mighty impressive and if we re-sign him for a cheap long term deal; I'd be more than happy to have him play RG; but I don't think Alexander, Clabo or Stuber could be sufficient enough to be a starting LG or even decent backups in the NFL. That's why I'm so adimate about drafting Chris Spencer; all he needs is a little grooming for one year like we did with Foster and he'll be fine. He can play either center or guard and with Hamilton being able to do the same; it shouldn't matter were we place Spencer because he can flat out play anyways. Bringing in Chris Spencer would make our line a lot better.

Now about the defensive line; it's time to draft some youth instead of relying on washed up veterans with back-loaded contracts to do the work for us. Perhaps Davis can do some things for us this year; but what we need is a proven first round talent who can make an immediate impact on our line. I don't feel safe with a lot of picks in this year's draft, (especially first round lineman) that's why I'm so hell-bent on us trading Pryce to the Bengals or Saints to move up and grab Shaun Cody; one of the only DT/DE that I think can give us the edge we need.

Anymore thoughts? I'd be glad to hear them.
    Sorry for the delay but I'm working on a paper and watching some good basketball.

In retrospect I agree that Spencer and Bullocks should slip to Round 2, but if we want them we would have to trade up in the round to get them.

I disagree about Lepsis, I believe he will be a FA next off-season. The way his contract is structured makes it pretty certain that he will test the market next year. I agree that Nalen will retire after this year. That's why I have stated that George Foster will move to LT and Ben Hamilton will move to C in 2006. I think Sewell will be a solid backup C for years and that leaves G and T as our only concerns for next year and beyond. That would possibly leave holes at LG, RG, and RT.

But what about this year some ask, well I think we will sign an OG in FA this off-season that will play RG this year and move to LG in 2006. We will more than likely draft an OG and OT. I think out of the players on our roster P.J. Alexander has the best chance at being a starter in the near future. I think he could make a real push for the RG position this off-season and possibly take over in 2006, but at the very least he will add quality depth. I'm not sold on Carlisle and I would not be surprised if he signed elsewhere this off-season. Clabo, Stuber, and Hicks all are projects and one or two will probably be released or on the practice squad. Our only backup T's at the time are Cornell Green and House. That's why I think Mat'hir's theory of trading up for Jammal Brown makes a heck of alot of sense. He could spend a year on the roster learning and getting ready to be the succesor at RT.

But your theory on trading up for Shaun Cody makes sense as well. I think there are and will be some solid veteran FA D-Linemen available between now and after June 1st. If we can sign a solid DE like Marques Douglas(I know it's a longshot) and draft a Cody, Spears, or Pollack then we will have some solid players up front.

The draft has solid players at all of our positions of needs and I just hope management has a Draft this year like they did last year.
    Last edited by DPg2003; 03-12-2005, 04:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dream
    replied
    Originally posted by DPg2003
    I absolutely agree that D-Line and O-Line are our two biggest needs, but there is alot of time between now and the Draft. I've stated multiple times that I think Chris Young is going to be an impact SS when his time comes, but Ferguson is no spring chicken and I think LeSueur could probably help more as a Nickel Back in the future. Sam Brandon and Wille Middlebrooks are possibilities at FS, but if we can add some D-Lineman through FA I wouldn't be upset if we traded up and grabbed Jammal Brown, Chris Spencer, Josh Bullocks, or Brodney Pool, but I also wouldn't be upset if we stayed where we are and took a D-Lineman.
    Nice assesment; but I think the only two players we'd need to trade up for that you listed are Jamaal Brown (who will go to the Rams if not picked earlier) and Brodney Pool; who the Saints probably have on their radar and maybe the Packers now too since Sharper is now a Viking.

Josh Bullocks and Chris Spencer are solid second rounders; either would be great additions; but I see Chris Spencer as the most obvious and best pick for us in the second round if he's still there, (I believe he is and when it's time to post my two-round mock draft; you'll see that Chris Spencer is our man in the second round).

I'm certain that this is Nalen's last year in Denver; I think his best days are behind him and he will retire from football after this year. I think we signed Hamilton semi-long term so he can take after Nalen as soon as he retires. Lepsis got his extention and I'm fairly certain he'll be our LT for some time now. George Foster is probably one of the best things to happen to Denver in the past drafts; I really like this guy and I think he's an indication we're moving towards a beefier line; so we're secure at RT. Pending on whether we sign Carlisle or not; after next year we're going to have two big holes at our guard spots on our offensive line.

LT: Lepsis -- C: Hamilton -- RT: Foster

Look at it this way; out of Carlisle, Alexander, Clabo and Stuber -- are there two that are suited to play guard at all? I'm not sure; Carlisle look mighty impressive and if we re-sign him for a cheap long term deal; I'd be more than happy to have him play RG; but I don't think Alexander, Clabo or Stuber could be sufficient enough to be a starting LG or even decent backups in the NFL. That's why I'm so adimate about drafting Chris Spencer; all he needs is a little grooming for one year like we did with Foster and he'll be fine. He can play either center or guard and with Hamilton being able to do the same; it shouldn't matter were we place Spencer because he can flat out play anyways. Bringing in Chris Spencer would make our line a lot better.

Now about the defensive line; it's time to draft some youth instead of relying on washed up veterans with back-loaded contracts to do the work for us. Perhaps Davis can do some things for us this year; but what we need is a proven first round talent who can make an immediate impact on our line. I don't feel safe with a lot of picks in this year's draft, (especially first round lineman) that's why I'm so hell-bent on us trading Pryce to the Bengals or Saints to move up and grab Shaun Cody; one of the only DT/DE that I think can give us the edge we need.

Anymore thoughts? I'd be glad to hear them.

Leave a comment:

• DPg2003
    replied
    Originally posted by Broncology
    This is a healthy draft for members of the secondary anyways; it seems like we're content with the players we drafted last year; LeSeuer would make a fine S or nickleback and Shoate could see a lot more playing time as well. Young, Brandon and Ferguson would make adequate replacements for Kennedy as well. We didn't lose anything with Kennedy going to Detriot; we do fine against the run anyways and that's the only thing he brought to the table; run support.

Now let's see if those guys can cover; which I assume they can do better than Kennedy.

There is no need to go after a guy like Ernest Shazor; especially when he won't be there for us in round two. This draft is so loaded with depth; you can get a quality member of the secondary in the mid-rounds of the draft.

I'm talking about guys like Kerry Rhodes and Marviel Underwood; who should be around in the fourth-fifth round -- either would be a huge addition to our team; and I say they're worth a look if we can aquire picks via trade in those rounds.

The same goes for depth at the offensive line position in this draft; we usually do a good job at picking lineman in the mid/later rounds in the draft and the only player(s) I'd want to take early in the draft would be Jamaal Brown, Chris Spencer or Khaliff Barnes. If Denver wants to up their red-zone production and if Foster's drafting several years back was any indication that we're moving towards a bigger line -- these three guys could get it done. A person you could see us go after in the later rounds on the OL, you're probably looking at a guy like Chris Myers.

Don't worry about S with either of our first two picks; concentrate on the defensive or offensive lines and we'll do just fine.
    I absolutely agree that D-Line and O-Line are our two biggest needs, but there is alot of time between now and the Draft. I've stated multiple times that I think Chris Young is going to be an impact SS when his time comes, but Ferguson is no spring chicken and I think LeSueur could probably help more as a Nickel Back in the future. Sam Brandon and Wille Middlebrooks are possibilities at FS, but if we can add some D-Lineman through FA I wouldn't be upset if we traded up and grabbed Jammal Brown, Chris Spencer, Josh Bullocks, or Brodney Pool, but I also wouldn't be upset if we stayed where we are and took a D-Lineman.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    We have no need for this player

Positives:

Has size general managers crave, in fact he will be the tallest safety in the entire NFL and only two defensive backs are as tall as he is (Lenny Walls, Denver Broncos, Brandon Browner Oregon St. draft entree). Has the frame to add more bulk if needed or to be moved to outside linebacker. Is at his best in the box where his pursuit angles become easier and his ability to sniff out the run is excellent. Can man up with tight ends and backs pretty well. Has legit straight line speed and works better down hill. Plays with fairly smooth pedal and has some burst out of his up field plant. Big time hitter and a true presence as a 8th man in the box. Solid tackler in the box and is an overall physical player. Has pretty good ball skills and his hands are solid. Has shown very good blitzing ability when used in that manner. Plays well in short area coverage. Has linebacker potential.

Negatives:

While excellent against the run, Shazor has proven to be very marginal in coverage at times. Plays too shallow in Cover 2 and lacks overall range and depth in deep zone coverage. While straight line fast, Shazor lacks the elite change of direction of skills to cover slot receivers and lacks a catch up burst if he's beat deep. Pursuit angles are off when forced to support from a deeper position in the secondary and his open field tackling skills are at times inconsistent. Can be isolated to a mismatch if motion dictates him covering a different receiver. Will blow assignments from time to time and lacks great instincts in coverage and reading ability. Needs some technique work and has struggled down the stretch getting off blocks.

Overall:

If Ernest was entering the league ten years ago, he would be the envy of every GM on the market, but times have changed. Nowadays safeties who can play FS and SS are the most coveted, and with the passing offenses and the most throwing ever in the NFL, front offices have shifted their focus on players who can cover the pass as well as support against the run. There are still some schemes out there which use strong safeties quite a bit in the box and Shazor has upside as a cover man once he fully gets a grasp of it. He has looked ‘off’ in the now trendy cover 2 scheme and doesn't have the great reading ability of an Ed Reed or Brian Dawkins, but it will likely come with time. Roy Williams has shown if you hit hard and make plays people will forgive your short comings, example being Roy's lack of elite speed and coverage skills. Don't rule out the possibility of Shazor moving to outside linebacker. I spoke with scouts/player personnel from two teams in the AFC and NFC who will keep an eye on his upside as a backer' and as you may know Cato June and Tommy Hendricks are two past Michigan safeties that have moved to linebacker at the next level. The upside would be his athletic ability, toughness and coverage skills. For a safety his coverage ability is pretty average but stick him at linebacker and they look much better because linebackers usually can't cover nearly as well as safeties. From what I'm hearing from scouts and player personnel down here, Shazor grades out around a late 2nd, early 3rd round pick in pre-workouts. His senior-season performances starting with MSU and ending against Texas hurt him significantly and cost him 1st round money. It's a pretty weak year for safeties with a lot of top heavy prospects, so I don't see Shazor falling out of the 1st day; he's got too much potential for GM's to pass up. With some legit workouts, look for him to slide up back into the mid 2nd round and go to either the Packers, Bengals, or Texans all who need help at strong safety and wouldn't mind another linebacker project.

NFL Comparison:

As a safety I would say think Shaun Williams (Giants), Tank Williams (Titans) and Adrian Wilson (Cards). All are bigger safeties who play their best in the box and average against the pass. As a linebacker think Tommy Polley (Rams), Na'il Diggs (Packers) or a poor man's Keith Bulluck (Titans). All are tall, very athletic and slightly under-bulked players for their position.

Leave a comment:

• Dream
    replied
    This is a healthy draft for members of the secondary anyways; it seems like we're content with the players we drafted last year; LeSeuer would make a fine S or nickleback and Shoate could see a lot more playing time as well. Young, Brandon and Ferguson would make adequate replacements for Kennedy as well. We didn't lose anything with Kennedy going to Detriot; we do fine against the run anyways and that's the only thing he brought to the table; run support.

Now let's see if those guys can cover; which I assume they can do better than Kennedy.

There is no need to go after a guy like Ernest Shazor; especially when he won't be there for us in round two. This draft is so loaded with depth; you can get a quality member of the secondary in the mid-rounds of the draft.

I'm talking about guys like Kerry Rhodes and Marviel Underwood; who should be around in the fourth-fifth round -- either would be a huge addition to our team; and I say they're worth a look if we can aquire picks via trade in those rounds.

The same goes for depth at the offensive line position in this draft; we usually do a good job at picking lineman in the mid/later rounds in the draft and the only player(s) I'd want to take early in the draft would be Jamaal Brown, Chris Spencer or Khaliff Barnes. If Denver wants to up their red-zone production and if Foster's drafting several years back was any indication that we're moving towards a bigger line -- these three guys could get it done. A person you could see us go after in the later rounds on the OL, you're probably looking at a guy like Chris Myers.

Don't worry about S with either of our first two picks; concentrate on the defensive or offensive lines and we'll do just fine.

Leave a comment:

• DPg2003
    replied
    Originally posted by speedracer2411
    yea i just wish the broncos would take a closer look at pool, he is a awsome S and would be a good fit in out system.
    I like Pool and Bullocks. I would be happy with either one.

Leave a comment:

• DPg2003
    replied
    Originally posted by EddyMac87
    i don't know, I think Shanny, and Bowlen are pretty confident that Nick Ferguson can be the starter their...i probably wouldn't mind getting a FS in the 2nd round, but i don't think its going to happen...
    I think Ferguson has the FS position locked up for this season, so if we draft a FS I think it would be for the future.

Leave a comment:

• TXBRONC
    replied
    Originally posted by EddyMac87
    i don't know, I think Shanny, and Bowlen are pretty confident that Nick Ferguson can be the starter their...i probably wouldn't mind getting a FS in the 2nd round, but i don't think its going to happen...
    I agree that Shanahan is confident is Ferguson's ability, and I wouldn't be surprised either if we went after a safety at some point in the draft. I'm just sure it would be the second round.

Leave a comment:

• EddyMac87
    replied

Leave a comment:

• speedracer2411
    replied
    Originally posted by DPg2003
    You're probably right. There are some pretty good ballhawking FS's out there and I wouldn't be surprised if we grabbed one on Day 1, but not Shazor. He's a SS that will more than likely be moved to LB.
    yea i just wish the broncos would take a closer look at pool, he is a awsome S and would be a good fit in out system.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X