Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like we planned all along to wait and go after vets

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...616074,00.html

While many teams circled March 2 - free agency's first day - on the calendar this year, the Broncos have been more inclined to circle June 1. By league rules veteran players can be released after June 1, and the charge against the salary cap can be taken over two years instead of just this season.

That means there is another group of proven, veteran players who will hit the open market. And, Bowlen believes, the competition for those players might be lessened because many teams already will have used up available cap space.

Yeah, we did this last year.

Marco Coleman worked out ok, Luther Ellis and Raylee Johnson did not. This seems to be a good method for gaining quality depth, but not for gaining starters. And what we need are starters.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan

Marco Coleman worked out ok, Luther Ellis and Raylee Johnson did not. This seems to be a good method for gaining quality depth, but not for gaining starters. And what we need are starters.

Well that is because we signed a bunch of old fogees. If there are any "busts" that are released that arent 50+ we may have a good shot at them and turn them around. I know it is kinda risky but they probably wouldn't cost us millions, plus it will be after draft and we would know what holes we will have left.
      Bronco fan from Packer Land.
      Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
      Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan

Agreed, mug....but they Could be considered good stop gap players, until the cap is friendlier to the team, and/or available players can be afforded/drafted.
        "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
        tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
        men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

I'm on the bandwagon if Courtney Brown gets released and is cost effective (which I doubt). He's a good gamble, if he ever stays healthy, and he did in college, he is a very good DE. better gamble then Warren, and I think Warren is a solid gamble too.

In our situation all we can do is take chances like this and pray they work out.

Comment

Originally posted by rcsodak
            Agreed, mug....but they Could be considered good stop gap players, until the cap is friendlier to the team, and/or available players can be afforded/drafted.
            Oh, I totally agree. But even so, stop gap players likely aren't going to help us achieve extra wins this coming season. They certainly didn't last season.

I think you absolutely correct though, with our cap situation, we have to sign stop gaps until we can afford/develop younger players. Totally agree.

Comment

Who knows maybe we can pick up Michael Strahan and he can give us a couple of good years. Surely there will be a few D-ends released. The devil lies in sorting out which ones still have something left in their tank, but there will probably be one or more available.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean
                Who knows maybe we can pick up Michael Strahan and he can give us a couple of good years. Surely there will be a few D-ends released. The devil lies in sorting out which ones still have something left in their tank, but there will probably be one or more available.
                The only problem with that logic is how? We can't even win a bidding war for Chike Okeafor, let alone a Mike Strahan.

Comment

Don't forget Pryce!

I am hoping that Pryce becomes a big plus. His trade/release will open the cap and let the Broncos be players in early June. Some of the players released will be good players and with over $5 million of cap space the Broncos should be able to sign at least one significant player. Are there any reports of players that will probably be released in early June?

Comment

Originally posted by Black59Razor
                    Well, be honest; the Broncos could not have been major players even if they had wanted to be with their salary-cap situation.....if you hope to be a competitive team, you are not goin to make a living picking up the leftovers in Free Agency...

i have to aggree with razor ont his look at denvers track record wtih FA it scares me.... and MUG i am gonna have to dissagree with you for the first time on CB
                    he has had issues wtih injuries.. ill pass... i also think that you will see more of a bidding war with CB then you will see for micheal strahan mostly what i think will be becuase of age
                    The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                    While he sits by his hearth at home.
                    Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                    That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncosinindy
                      i have to aggree with razor ont his look at denvers track record wtih FA it scares me.... and MUG i am gonna have to dissagree with you for the first time on CB
                      he has had issues wtih injuries.. ill pass... i also think that you will see more of a bidding war with CB then you will see for micheal strahan mostly what i think will be becuase of age
                      Well, we may or may not find out depending on if he is released.

Comment

Working...
                      X