5 2005 draft picks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 2005 draft picks

All of us aware of the Broncos needs, we know Mike Shanahan will try to prove himself bigger than the opinions of others and pick the unpredictable and therefore waste a pick or two trying to show his mastermind. All of this aside, based on needs and available talent I thought I'd throw out a quick mock of what MIGHT make some sense for their as it stands now 5 picks in rounds 1,2,3 compensatory, 6 & 7. We'll all disagree for the next month and a half still, but that's why it's fun.

Round 1- Brodney Pool, S Oklahoma: Very instinctive ball hawk free safety who will not shy away from making a play. Good size, decent hands and can play the run well enough. I'm hesitant to a S in round one and can see the benefits of MUG's theory on J. Brown or K. Barnes, but I believe that if Pool is available, he is enough of a playmaker to select early knowing that there are good fits at O-line in later rounds.

Round 2- Chris Canty, DE/DT Virginia: A very versatile d-lineman, has played DE in a 3-4 with VA. Strong and athletic, not to mention he's over 6'7'' and 285. Good recognition between run and pass. Smart and competitive player who excels with height and reach batting passes at line of scrimmage, a premium component for a team trying to get turnovers out of their speed built LB corps. Durability is his biggest concern, but this never seems to stop Shanahan.

Round 3 Comp pick- Wesley Britt, OT Alabama: Fits the mold of a Bronco tackle. 6'7" 290, plays very smart. Quick off the line of scrimmage and he excels at run blocking. An ideal fit to take over at RT after a year's learning curve when Lepsis moves on and Foster moves over.

Round 6- Dylan Gandy, OG Texas Tech: 6'2" and 295 Gandy thrives on positioning and quickness from the guard position. Experienced cut blocker who would fit well within Denver's interior line and scheme. Would greatly add to the competition at guard this offseason.

Round 7- Ray Hudson, RB Alabama: We all know that no matter how few draft choices Denver has that Mike will grab a RB. The Broncos are said to have spent considerable time with Hudson at the combine. Shanahan has not shied away from injured Crimson Tide backs in the past. Injury is what will drop Hudson to the 7th round.

We've yet to have FA play out and do not obviously know what T. Pryce will yield. However, based on what we have now this is one way I could see things shaking out. D-line is too obvious of a need for Shanahan to please all the naysayers, and most in the first round will be a reach when there are more talented football players available. B. Pool is just that, a very talented football player. Before anyone reminds me that we need D-line, let me just say now, "I agree." But I believe we must draft the best available playmaker. That is what the whole team is lacking. Pool is a better playmaker than any D-lineman who will be left available.

Impressive mock, but I have soured on us taking a Safety in Round 1 after some reasoning from OhNoKoolAid. I too, like Razor don't have any faith in Canty lasting in the NFL and think he would be a very bad pick unless it's after Round 4.

I think we must get help on the D-Line or at OT in Round 1. I'm not sold on E. James because of his history of injuries. I really like Spears, Pollack, and S. Cody. I realize that we need to get a pass rushing DE, but I think Spears, Cody, and Pollack have the talent and skill to demand double teams that would free up other players on the line to get sacks.

The player I am really hoping we pull in somehow is Marcus Spears. Trevor Pryce never had top end speed and I think that Marcus Spears could be a dominant DE in the NFL. Plus he could play a little TE and he could be a DE in either the 3-4 or the 4-3.

Comment

actually i agree with safty, but i dont know about in this draft. We do need a speedy safety but can this guy hit as hard as we are used to seeing?

Comment

Round 1 - Demarcus Ware or Matt Roth - a trade up and run at Merriman would
        be nice

Round 2 - Adrian McPherson or Jason Cambell

Round 3 (compensatory) - Ronald Bartell ... we should be able to draft earlier in at
        least the 3rd round by moving Pryce
        or Droughns

Comment

Canty

Originally posted by Black59Razor
          Interesting list, L-Jet, but I would still take DE/OLB DeMarcus Ware in the first....the Broncos No.1 need is for a pass rusher above all else...

I also think we need another WR, preferrably one that could return kicks...

I don't know much about Brodney Pool, except that he is regarded as an athlete first, rather than a play maker....as we saw in the National Championship, OU was in dire need of safeties that could play deep.....and they got completely torched, and their safties, Pool and Donte Nicholson were no where to be found...

Canty worries me....Paul Toviessi revisited? He has injury concerns and is tall and skinny....those type of players are (ironically) prone to chop-blocks...

If the rumor is true and we somehow trade up with New Orleans, I hope Wisconsin's Erasmus James is there waiting for us.....and I hope James does NOT wind up in KC at fifteen, that would suck
          I agree with you on Canty, he is a risk. Part of the reason I put him there is that as we know this is kind of Shanahan's style. Take a physically gifted player who COULD have a chance to be special and take a chance. For some reason he normally goes with the risks that involve injury. I personally would prefer J. Tuck in round 2 but I think he'll be gone by the time DEN picks.
          I really like DeMarcus Ware, he is the one player at end who I think would be available at 25. My only concern is how much we will play the 4-3 vs. 3-4. I believe to draft Ware we will have to play a considerable amount of the 4-3 which likely could happen, but it could lean the other way too. Not that Ware can't play OLB in a 3-4, which he'd be very good at, but we have built so many other players into the 3-4 LB's I would be afraid he would not get adequate time on the field for some players who need to be out there.
          As far as trading up with Pryce, I think that would be a great move, but I was trying to lay out a mock based on what is definitely there right now. E. James, if he can stay healthy, has the potential to be a terror as the pass rushing end.
          The USC game is definitely not a good part of Pool's resume. However he would be a great fit for us playing in the AFC west. We could really use a free safety of his calibur as very possibly the two best and most athletic tight ends in the league play within the division. With Moss and Porter, both deep threats, Pool has the range and recognition to help cb's without us always seeing his back chasing the pass.(K. Kennedy) Along with his athletic ability, Pool has good instincts. Instincts are something you can't teach and can turn a great athlete into a playmaker. If Pool had returned for another year I believe he would have really taken another step up.

Comment

Pool makes sense at 25, but the Packers will likely draft him at 24. We would need to move up. He is, far and away, but the best Free Safety in this draft. His Pro Day solidified that.

I think a great FS is almost as important as the D-line. I would not complain about taking Pool unless certain D-line, OT players were still available.

Comment

Good Choice

I think we all have good ideas but in my opinion the organization should get Braylon Edwards WR,Michigan. Even though we have Ashley Lelie, Rod Smith, Darius Watts, Triandos Luke, Adrian Madise, and Charlie Adams.

Comment

Good as Gold

Ian Gold is going to make a large impact on our defense. He'll have a great supporting cast with Al Wilson, D.J. Williams, and The Sort of Veteran John Mobley. Our secondary would be even better too if we picked up someone like Marlin Jackson. But as long as we have Champ and Lynch we cut the field in half for the pass.

Comment

Elway Jr

Elway Jr. , you must be a BIG Michigan fan. Gold, B. Edwards, M. Jackson?

Comment

Originally posted by Elway Jr.
                    I think we all have good ideas but in my opinion the organization should get Braylon Edwards WR,Michigan. Even though we have Ashley Lelie, Rod Smith, Darius Watts, Triandos Luke, Adrian Madise, and Charlie Adams.
                    He's going to be picked in the top 5. How do you propose we get him?

Also, John Mobley is retired and not on the team.

Comment

Safety

Nick Ferguson is going to be a very capable Free Safety this year and so Round 1 must be either Defensive End or Offensive Linemen
                      Al Wilson leads the hit parade in the new defensive juggeranaut that is the DENVER BRONCOS

Comment

Originally posted by Black59Razor
                        Interesting list, L-Jet, but I would still take DE/OLB DeMarcus Ware in the first....the Broncos No.1 need is for a pass rusher above all else...

I also think we need another WR, preferrably one that could return kicks...

I don't know much about Brodney Pool, except that he is regarded as an athlete first, rather than a play maker....as we saw in the National Championship, OU was in dire need of safeties that could play deep.....and they got completely torched, and their safties, Pool and Donte Nicholson were no where to be found...

Canty worries me....Paul Toviessi revisited? He has injury concerns and is tall and skinny....those type of players are (ironically) prone to chop-blocks...

If the rumor is true and we somehow trade up with New Orleans, I hope Wisconsin's Erasmus James is there waiting for us.....and I hope James does NOT wind up in KC at fifteen, that would suck
                        I also want Ware over Pool. I like Pool but Ware is just as fast and he will play rush backer. He has been rated by many as the best pass rusher in the draft. We need him and he should be available when we pick....... Lets get him.

I would also be happy with James. I really like Travis Johnson as well. I am not sure how well he would play in a 3-4 but I think he could go 2 gap. Those two guys can really collapse the pocket.

Comment

I still envision a D-end at pick #1 and an offensive guard at pick #2. I feel that Mike will take the best player available for the remainder of our picks. I am hoping he chooses a punter/kick off man. However, I have never been able to predict what the Broncos were going to do in the past so why would I be right now?

Comment

Actually I am.

Hey guys I am a huge Michigan fan. I'm from Buchanan,MI. My fault I did'nt know Mobley was retired he is on Madden 2005 and he is really good so I did'nt know. There are some other guys I think we should get like DE Marcus Spears LSU he is awsome. Or even the QB from CAL. We could use a new QB even though Plummer is kinda good but I still don't like him. But Edwards, Spears, Jackson, or Hey! what about Cadillac Williams from Auburn? P.S. I'm pretty smart for a 12 year old when it comes to sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean
                              I still envision a D-end at pick #1 and an offensive guard at pick #2. I feel that Mike will take the best player available for the remainder of our picks. I am hoping he chooses a punter/kick off man. However, I have never been able to predict what the Broncos were going to do in the past so why would I be right now?
                              i agree with that, its the logical route, nothing exceptionally flash, just picking for our needs, we'll pick a RB at some point for sure, so going with the original post, 7th rounder sounds about right, and as far as punters go, we are in a dire situation, so anyone who can kick the ball far will do ...
                              Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
                              http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

I adopt Erica Weston

Comment

Working...
                              X