A new option at DE popped up today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black59Razor
    One of my best friends is a HUGE Cowboy honk....I told him about the June 1st cutting of LaRoi Glover, and he spit Coke all over his PC screen

'No F**** way!', I think was his response....

Glover is a good player, and Dallas is goin to do what we do, mix the 4-3 and 3-4, you know.....the HYBRID thing
    I really don't know why they would go after Howard then. Greg Ellis is locked up at one DE, Ferguson is the NT. Glover is too small for a DE, so he would have to be a 2nd DT in a 4-3 lineup. He makes an awful lot of money to be a situational player and he's fairly old. He is good though. His cutting after June 1st was pure speculation on my part in trying to make sense of the Cowboys extreme interest in Howard.

And I would be fine with them drafting Demarcus Ware in the first round. I think he's as good a gamble if not better then anyone else at DE.

Comment

abraham does not seem to be a shanny player. He likes guys he tend to keep there mouth shut and play hard. Neither of which is abrahams forte.
      http://216.58.161.132/forums/showthread.php?p=497087#post497087

Above I will list all my predictions for the 2005 season.

Comment

Originally posted by rugbythug
        abraham does not seem to be a shanny player. He likes guys he tend to keep there mouth shut and play hard. Neither of which is abrahams forte.
        Is warren one of those players?

"Kill the head and the body is dead." Comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
          I really don't know why they would go after Howard then. Greg Ellis is locked up at one DE, Ferguson is the NT. Glover is too small for a DE, so he would have to be a 2nd DT in a 4-3 lineup. He makes an awful lot of money to be a situational player and he's fairly old. He is good though. His cutting after June 1st was pure speculation on my part in trying to make sense of the Cowboys extreme interest in Howard.

And I would be fine with them drafting Demarcus Ware in the first round. I think he's as good a gamble if not better then anyone else at DE.

Glover too small for DE??? He's a 4-3 DT and a Pro bowler at that. Glover is Trevor Pryce. Big (288), fast, and hellastrong. You don't have to be a 330lb tub of goo to play DE in a 3-4. Glover is one of the most athletic DTs in the league, if he played here he would play end. IMO he'd be the perfect DE in a 3-4.

Comment

Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56
            Glover too small for DE??? He's a 4-3 DT and a Pro bowler at that. Glover is Trevor Pryce. Big (288), fast, and hellastrong. You don't have to be a 330lb tub of goo to play DE in a 3-4. Glover is one of the most athletic DTs in the league, if he played here he would play end. IMO he'd be the perfect DE in a 3-4.

He's 6'2, 282 lbs and fast, not exceptionally strong. Glover is a smaller version of Warren Sapp and the 3-4 DE is not played to those strengths.

First, most DEs in a 3-4 are over 300lbs and most are well over 6'2 because they need to be able to swat passes and clog the QBs passing lanes and vision. This is because 3-4 DEs do not pass rush, they must occupy blockers on passing downs and occupy two running lanes on running plays. They need to be able to anchor against multiple blockers and hold their ground. I assure you, that is not Le'Roi Glover's strength. Glover is a penetrator that relies on his small frame to get leverage and on his quickness to take advantage of that leverage. He's a superb 4-3 DT, he would play probably much worse then Sapp did if he was moved out of position to a 3-4 DE.

Comment

He's 6'2, 282 lbs and fast, not exceptionally strong. Glover is a smaller version of Warren Sapp and the 3-4 DE is not played to those strengths.

First, most DEs in a 3-4 are over 300lbs and most are well over 6'2 because they need to be able to swat passes and clog the QBs passing lanes and vision. This is because 3-4 DEs do not pass rush, they must occupy blockers on passing downs and occupy two running lanes on running plays. They need to be able to anchor against multiple blockers and hold their ground. I assure you, that is not Le'Roi Glover's strength. Glover is a penetrator that relies on his small frame to get leverage and on his quickness to take advantage of that leverage. He's a superb 4-3 DT, he would play probably much worse then Sapp did if he was moved out of position to a 3-4 DE.
              ??? He outbenched Shaun Rodgers at the probowl to win strongest man honors - 32 reps in 30 secs. And he quit early because he was last to go so he just set the high mark and quit. As for DE, he is also one of their leading run stoppers and gets doubled as a DT all the time. In a 3-4 you want your linemen doubled to free up the LBs if he gets doubled as a DT, don't you think he will as a DE? Worked for Pryce (or should I say the guy playing the other DE spot)!
              Last edited by HORSEPOWER 56; 03-16-2005, 07:20 PM.

Comment

trade

we should trade jeb putzier and trevor pryce for abraham and maybe a late pick or instead of putzier maybe they would like droughns as their running back after martin. any one with me.

Comment

John Abraham?

the jets have given the green light for other teams to try to sign him, think the Broncos will make a run for him?

Comment

Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56
                    ??? He outbenched Shaun Rodgers at the probowl to win strongest man honors - 32 reps in 30 secs. And he quit early because he was last to go so he just set the high mark and quit. As for DE, he is also one of their leading run stoppers and gets doubled as a DT all the time. In a 3-4 you want your linemen doubled to free up the LBs if he gets doubled as a DT, don't you think he will as a DE? Worked for Pryce (or should I say the guy playing the other DE spot)!

Well, I have no rebuttal for that. He is exceptionally strong then. However, he still is short and he still is light for that position. You could be right though, perhaps he will thrive where Sapp and other DT types would not. It will be interesting to see. Thanks for that tidbit about his benchpressing, that's a shocker to me.

Comment

I seriously doubt we get him

Comment

Well, I have no rebuttal for that. He is exceptionally strong then. However, he still is short and he still is light for that position. You could be right though, perhaps he will thrive where Sapp and other DT types would not. It will be interesting to see. Thanks for that tidbit about his benchpressing, that's a shocker to me.
                        Actually Mat, you can say something for that. Glover has upper body strength, good for keeping linemen off the body, bad for holding ground. Glover is fairly narrow waisted and doesn't have tremendous lower body strength, or ballast, or whatver you prefer to call it. Layman's terms, you have to have the butt to hold your ground and occupy space, and Glover just doesn't have that. Glover is a helluva 4-3 DT, but just because he won a silly contest doesn't mean he is strong enough in the lower body to play in a 3-4.

Comment

im afraid his price tag will be way to high for us...

Comment

He'd be more of a hybrid DE/LB in a 3-4, plus we have LBs and no cap.
                            My Broncomania Adopt-a-Bronco: Rod Smith

Elway stops, loads up, throws deep down the middle of the field and Rod Smith's got it!

America is like your team, and if your not gonna root for your team then get the hell outta the stadium.

Madden Online Record 109-90 (7-3 L10)

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                              why was this moved?
                              I merged in a newer thread that was in a another forum into the previously existing one started by MUG. But it was not moved.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                              You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by OhNoKoolAid
                                Actually Mat, you can say something for that. Glover has upper body strength, good for keeping linemen off the body, bad for holding ground. Glover is fairly narrow waisted and doesn't have tremendous lower body strength, or ballast, or whatver you prefer to call it. Layman's terms, you have to have the butt to hold your ground and occupy space, and Glover just doesn't have that. Glover is a helluva 4-3 DT, but just because he won a silly contest doesn't mean he is strong enough in the lower body to play in a 3-4.
                                I actually considered making that argument, but after getting owned on the upperbody strength aspect, I didn't want to gamble that Le'Roi has some insane squat record as well on file. Thus, looking foolish twice. He does play with good leverage as a DT.

I have my own opinion firmly in mind that he won't be a good 3-4 DE and likely will be cut after June 1st, but that's all speculation. So, until June 2nd comes around, its wait and see mode.

Comment

Working...
                                X