A new option at DE popped up today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rcsodak
    I'd be inclined to say that TP with a 2nd or 3rd would prolly suffice. I'm not so sure they'd get hung up about not getting a first rounder if they got TP also.
    Yea, i get what your sayin, but whats the cap room situation and would we have enough money for him?
    Football is life, and life is football

Comment

Here's something to consider: in only 12 games last year, Abraham had 9.5 sacks. Consider that Hayward had 10.5, tops on the Broncos! So in only 3/4 of a season Abraham essentially equalled Hayward sack total.

If Abraham is healthy (for the first time since 2002) he'd be an awesome addition. With him on the DL we would be in MUCH better shape entering into the season. With Warren occupying blockers and Abraham on the end the DL would instantly shift from a weakness to a strength (still not the best in the league or anything, but a strength nonetheless).

I'd be a LOT less concerned about the season under that scenario and I'd FAR rather take a chance on Abraham staying healthy than Brown!

What do you think?

Another point to consider: The Jets would NEVER have franchised Abraham unless they were convinced he would be healthy. You don't pay that kind of elite DL money unless you're sure the guy can play.
      Cugel
      Rantosaurus Rex!
      Last edited by Cugel; 03-19-2005, 08:26 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
        Here's something to consider: in only 12 games last year, Abraham had 9.5 sacks. Consider that Hayward had 10.5, tops on the Broncos! So in only 3/4 of a season Abraham essentially equalled Hayward sack total.

If Abraham is healthy (for the first time since 2002) he'd be an awesome addition. With him on the DL we would be in MUCH better shape entering into the season. With Warren occupying blockers and Abraham on the end the DL would instantly shift from a weakness to a strength (still not the best in the league or anything, but a strength nonetheless).

I'd be a LOT less concerned about the season under that scenario and I'd FAR rather take a chance on Abraham staying healthy than Brown!

What do you think?
        Well, it is all relative according to the price you pay for each. Abraham will demand Trevor Pryce figures, whereas Brown will be half of Hayward's, I'm assuming. So the risk is significantly elevated when you consider Abraham's price tag and injury history.

That said, the two shouldn't be compared because they play different positions. Brown has become more of a left end, being able to play the run and the pass. Abraham is a pure right end, improving against the run, but an elite pass rusher. If remotely possible, Denver could pursue both, because they would become next season's book ends. I think it is possible to afford Abraham if Pryce is dealt in the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by OhNoKoolAid
          Well, it is all relative according to the price you pay for each. Abraham will demand Trevor Pryce figures, whereas Brown will be half of Hayward's, I'm assuming. So the risk is significantly elevated when you consider Abraham's price tag and injury history.

That said, the two shouldn't be compared because they play different positions. Brown has become more of a left end, being able to play the run and the pass. Abraham is a pure right end, improving against the run, but an elite pass rusher. If remotely possible, Denver could pursue both, because they would become next season's book ends. I think it is possible to afford Abraham if Pryce is dealt in the deal.
          That's my point! Abraham is an elite pass-rusher and Denver DESPARATELY needs just that! The guy who strikes fear into offensive coordinators and makes the QB release the ball before he wants to or get "happy feet" and move out of the pocket because he feels the heat! Trevor Pryce used to be that guy, but last year he was injured and now he's gone!

I don't get the sense that Shanahan is even considering this opportunity however, so the whole thing is probably moot. At least according to the Post, the players being considered include: Brown, Atlanta defensive tackle Ed Jasper and former Baltimore Ravens defensive end Marques Douglas, and Bengal Tony Williams.

None of those guys (including Brown) is remotely in Abraham's class. If he's healthy, Abraham could get 10-15 sacks and force defenses to adjust to him. Combined with Warren occupying blockers and Ian Gold speed rushing from the LB position, the Broncos might actually generate a significant pass rush this season! That would be a VERY welcome change.

P.S.: One reason Shanahan might not be considering this is if he really IS going for a DL in the draft (Dan Cody, Erasmus James, David Pollack, Demarcus Ware. . . come on down!) and needs to trade Pryce to move up on draft day and have a chance at the player he wants.
          Cugel
          Rantosaurus Rex!
          Last edited by Cugel; 03-20-2005, 10:16 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X