Who Should be Denvers No. 1 Pick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Should be Denvers No. 1 Pick?

I've said before that I think they'll draft a saftey first so im gonna say they should draft Brodney Pool out of Oklahoma. If hes gone by our pick then probably Atari Bigby out of Central Florida who is known as a big hitting saftey. These guys have great coverage skills and are huge on run support. But they are projected to go in the second or later rounds so they probably wont draft these two in the first, but they should consider it. Who do you think they'll draft with the first round pick?

It depends on FA and who's available in the draft. If we get another D-lineman ( say trade Pryce and #1 for Abraham or Howard) WR or S would be preferred for me. If not, D-line would be the logical choice probably Ware or Shaun Cody.

Comment

Most people (Me included) believe our 1st pick HAS TO BE D-line. Even if we pick up some FAs, D-line needs some youth and depth. If Pollack (DE- Georgia) is still around at #25, he'd be a steal, but I doubt it.... More likely candidates are Travis Johnson (DE/DT- Florida State), Ware (DE/OLB- Troy), Marcus Spears (DT- LSU), or Shaun Cody (DE/DT- USC).

2nd round pick should be interesting. I think we should draft best available defender. Another D-lineman? DB? Safety might be an option, too, though I'd have to disagree w/you about Pool's coverage skills. Did you see the Orange Bowl? Some people are high on Josh Bullocks (FS- Nebraska). I'd like Browner (6'3" CB- Oregon State) to play FS for us OR from next year's draft, Jimmy Williams (6'2" CB- VA Tech).

Comment

Atari Bigby in the first??? He won't go until the 5th round at best, you can take my word for it. The best coverage safeties are Pool and Bullocks, but Vincent Fuller and Brandon Browner are two cornerback/safety tweeners who could really help in coverage and can make plays on the ball. Browner should not be discounted just because of his dissapointing 40 time. He could flat out play at Oregon State, and at 6'4 222, he has linebacker's size and a defensive back's ability and a safeties hitting skills. As he drops down the board, his value increases by the round. If he's there at the end of the third, ala Will Poole, we nab him.

Comment

I still do not believe we take a safety. We are set at strong safety with plenty of talent on the roster young (Young), no pun intended, and old (Lynch). But the most important reason I think a safety is not consideration is that we drafted LeSeur in the 3rd round last draft. He is a coverage safety, he is not a cornerback. Thus, we have Free Safety covered with talent that is young (LeSeur) and old (Ferguson).

We passed up alot of good players taking LeSeur last draft, I think management knew even then that Kennedy was not going to be resigned, and drafted for the future at safety. Taking a safety, once again, in the first round of this draft would be redundant and a waste of a pick. The top safeties should be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd round anyhow, and Pool, the only first round calibur safety, should be gone by the time we pick in the 1st.

Comment

Agree Mat...

Why in the name of all that is holy, do people think we are in desperate need of a safety?

What I think should be drafted and will be drafted are quite possibly two different things...

I think we should draft the best available D lineman in the first, unless there's nothing left worthy of a first rounder...

If we get that covered, I really feel we should spend the second on a Quarterback (hopefully Frye or that kid from AZ...Walters?).

Knowing Shanny, we'll probably take a wide receiver in the first and a linebacker in the second. =p

Comment

Originally posted by Perry1977
              Agree Mat...

Why in the name of all that is holy, do people think we are in desperate need of a safety?

What I think should be drafted and will be drafted are quite possibly two different things...

I think we should draft the best available D lineman in the first, unless there's nothing left worthy of a first rounder...

If we get that covered, I really feel we should spend the second on a Quarterback (hopefully Frye or that kid from AZ...Walters?).

Knowing Shanny, we'll probably take a wide receiver in the first and a linebacker in the second. =p
              I truly think we need to take a corner with our first round pick. Carlos Rogers, or Pac-Man would make a great pickup.

My second choice would be a defensive linemen, but if we sign Brown, and trade for Abraham or Howard, we wouldn't need dline(That sounds wierd).

My 3rd choice would be a WR, with Rod getting old, I don't see Watts starting, so I would like to choose a reliable, run after the catch kinda guy.

My 4th alternative would be a safety, I don't like Ferguson, he's old, not a ballhawk, and i'd much rather have someone like Josh Bullocks or Ernest Shazor.

Those would be my choices.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DBfan4lyfe
                I truly think we need to take a corner with our first round pick. Carlos Rogers, or Pac-Man would make a great pickup.

My second choice would be a defensive linemen, but if we sign Brown, and trade for Abraham or Howard, we wouldn't need dline(That sounds wierd).

My 3rd choice would be a WR, with Rod getting old, I don't see Watts starting, so I would like to choose a reliable, run after the catch kinda guy.

My 4th alternative would be a safety, I don't like Ferguson, he's old, not a ballhawk, and i'd much rather have someone like Josh Bullocks or Ernest Shazor.

Those would be my choices.
                I will have to respectfully disagree with everything in this post.

Help on either one of the Lines is definitely at the top of any priority list.

I don't see any senseable scenario in which we take a CB in Round 1.

I don't agree with us taking a WR in Round 1. We already have young, developing WR's on this team. The only WR help we need is a veteran that can help assist Rod Smith while the young guys prepare to take over. D-Watts has the talent and the drive to be an excellent WR. He has excellent open field moves and he is going to be an explosive, playmaking receiver.

I also disagree with the S selection. Bullocks will be around after Round 1 and Shazor is not a ballhawking S, he is a run stopping SS. Ferguson is a ballhawking, turnover creating Safety and he is pretty sound in coverage. He will only be around for a few more years and then LeSueur will team up with Chris Young to form a formidable Safety tandem.
                DPg2003
                Practice Squad
                Last edited by DPg2003; 03-16-2005, 10:55 PM.

Comment

I think an OT is a serious consideration with Lepsis' status up in the air after this season, but after Alex Barron's recent Pro Day and Houston failing to land Orlando Pace, it is likely that all 3 first round OT prospects will be gone in the top 15, well before we even pick. (Barron, Brown, and Barnes).

That basically leaves DE. However, DE can be subdivided into 3 categories.

1) 4-3 DE - 240+ lbs of pure pass rushing potential.
                  2) 3-4 DE/4-3 DT - 290+ lbs of pure run stuffing/pocket collapsing potential.
                  3) 4-3/3-4 DE/OLB - Well rounded skills including coverage and speed. Typical height/weight/speed is around 6'2. 260 lbs. 4.75 40.

Measureables
                  Dan Cody - 6'5, 257 lbs // 4.75 40
                  David Pollack - 6'2, 265 lbs // 4.81 40
                  Erasmus James - 6'3, 268 lbs // 4.74 40
                  Justin Tuck - 6'5, 268 lbs // Results not in.
                  DeMarcus Ware - 6'4, 251 lbs // 4.65 40
                  Matt Roth - 6'3, 278 lbs // 4.8 40
                  Marcus Spears - 6'4, 307 lbs // Currently Injured (knee)
                  Shawn Merriman - 6'2, 274 lbs // 4.66 40
                  Travis Johnson - 6'3. 296 lbs // 4.9 40
                  Shaun Cody - 6'4, 293 lbs // results not in.

On a side note, looking over Denver's roster, we have absolutely NOBODY that measures in comparably as a 4-3/3-4 DE/OLB hybrid.

Chukurah is 6'1, 250 lbs. (closest we have).
                  DJ Williams is 6'0, 242 lbs
                  Al Wilson is 6'0, 240 lbs.
                  Ian Gold is 6'0, 223 lbs.
                  Anton Palepoi is 6'3. 283 lbs.

I believe this is our likely target area. Meaning, one of D. Cody, James, Ware, Tuck, Merriman, and Pollack should be our first round choice. More then likely it will come down to between Ware and Tuck, possibly Pollack as well.

I would take Pollack > Ware > Tuck.

However, if Jammal Brown or Khalif Barnes slip, I take one of them.

Brown > Barnes > DE.

Comment

Here is the deal and DBFAN is right:

D-line in the first, O-line or D-line in the next two.

After that, best overall in talent.
                    Broncos forever!! :clap:
                    \

Me and my daughter, Christmas eve 2006

My wife and my daughter, same game against the Bengals.

:wave:

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
                      I would take Pollack > Ware > Tuck.

However, if Jammal Brown or Khalif Barnes slip, I take one of them.

Brown > Barnes > DE.
                      I absolutely agree with this.

Drafting Tuck would solidify us staying in a base 4-3 Defense. He stated in his interviews that he feels that he fits best as a 4-3 DE and that is the only position that he wants to play in the NFL.

I really like Shaun Cody, but we are in dire need of DE's and hopefully Luis Castillo is around at #56 and we can snag him.

Either Brown or Barnes would be good picks if they slip and Tuck might be around in Round 2 and we could trade up in that round to get him, but there is still the possibility of us trading up in Round 1 so we'll see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                      X