X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• myoung
    replied
    Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
    I think Cleveland's absolute preference would be to trade down and pick up Alex Barron. Their need at LT has been well documented the last few years.

I love Braylon Edwards, but Cleveland has a very solid WR corps. He would be heads and tails better then anyone on the roster, but the difference between his talent and what they have compared to the LB talent and Derrick Johnson is not as extreme. They need 2-3 play making LBs to pair with Andra Davis. I would not be surprised is they spent their top 2 picks on LBs because their defense becomes very competitive if they shore up the LB area, until they do, they are going to be clobbered. Their offense is decent except at OT.

In that mock draft, I stuck to no trades and just projected what i thought each team would take if they could not move up or down. Obviously, that won't happen. I'll attempt a trade mock a day or two before the draft when all potential information has been gathered. I would not be surprised if I have the Browns trading down to pick up Barron or Brown.
    I think Cleveland would also like to bring in a back to compete with Suggs. I am sure they were shocked when Baltimore matched their offer to Taylor. I would like to be discussing Drougns with them.

But I would not be shocked to see them look RB in round 3 or 4 to compete with Suggs. A late second tier type of guy with some potential. In fact, isn't that where they found Suggs.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    I think Cleveland's absolute preference would be to trade down and pick up Alex Barron. Their need at LT has been well documented the last few years.

I love Braylon Edwards, but Cleveland has a very solid WR corps. He would be heads and tails better then anyone on the roster, but the difference between his talent and what they have compared to the LB talent and Derrick Johnson is not as extreme. They need 2-3 play making LBs to pair with Andra Davis. I would not be surprised is they spent their top 2 picks on LBs because their defense becomes very competitive if they shore up the LB area, until they do, they are going to be clobbered. Their offense is decent except at OT.

In that mock draft, I stuck to no trades and just projected what i thought each team would take if they could not move up or down. Obviously, that won't happen. I'll attempt a trade mock a day or two before the draft when all potential information has been gathered. I would not be surprised if I have the Browns trading down to pick up Barron or Brown.

Leave a comment:

• jletourneau
    replied
    I agree with you on Garrard, I would feel much more comfortable putting my team in his hands in comparison to Smith and Rodgers. I do think Rodgers has solidified himself in the 49ers' eyes as their top pick. But they are said to want to trade down to get him. Good idea.

I have also heard reports that since he has passed on Q. Carter, Gruden is very interested in trading for Rattay. I believe Rattay would be a very good fit in Tampa, strangely in a way he reminds me a little of R. Gannon. Nothing fantastic to look at on the field, but understands what it takes to get the job done. Gruden knew how to maximize Gannon more than effectively and I think he could do the same with Rattay.

I think Cleveland is doing some serious smoke screening right now, but I'm yet to decide in which direction. P. Savage is said to be taking a liking to B. Edwards, even considering making a personal trip to his individual workout coming up. I believe Edwards would be a fantastic pick if the Brown plan on being the team that GETS Garrard. However, Cleveland took a higher than expected interest in A. Smith after his workout. And even still, Crennel could very easily go defense with the pick with D. Johnson in order to help fill out their new 3-4 scheme. All in all, I believe Cleveland is the real wild card in all this as they're needs are glaring. I think they know that they're the wild card and are throwing up smoke screens left and right. If I were making the decisions in Cleveland, I would pass on D. Johnson and A. Smith and take Edwards if available. Stick it out with Dilfer and your rebuilt O-line for a year and grab Garrard. Fill your LB hole early in the second where there is a good chance you may be able to get D. Ware or D. Blackstock. Blackstock would be well suited for the 3-4 coming from Virginia and play a W. McGinest role.

Either way, Cleveland holds the cards right now and they know it, so we can expect more smokescreens to further cloud how the draft might fall in such a superstar free 1st round.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    Originally posted by myoung
    I think I agree with you; I would rather wait but that is not typical with NFL teams. I think these guys are both in line with JP Losman although most people have Rodgers a bit higher than Boller was.

Problem is that I think both the 49ers and the Browns are looking QB at this point. I thought the Browns would go QB but they were impressed enough that I think they are considering it. If the 49ers don't take one of them I think the Dolphins and Browns would both be happy to have their choice. If the 49ers take Rodgers then I think Smith might slip just a bit. But I don't see them both falling out of the top 7-8.

In my mind I think there are bigger impact players on the board but I think teams are scared to death to pass on a potential big money QB.

If the 49ers draft a QB, Denver better do whatever it takes to trade for Tim Rattay. I believe Tim Rattay is better then both of these QBs and has proven it in the pros. His health has been the only think that's hurt him.

The Browns make more sense but McNown has potential from last year's draft, but I could definitely see a QB here.

The Dolphins' Saban already gave Feeley a vote of confidance, he is there 2nd round pick in this draft basically, and Frerotte was brought in as a backup/competition. With the need for a RB so glaring and the salary cap so tight, I don't see a QB here.

Also, the last thing to consider is that all of these teams wanted to get David Garrard but Jacksonville would not let him go. He is an UFA next offseason and certainly one of these teams will get him then for fairly big money. The Browns in particular are rumored to have been heavily interested. That has alot to do with my deciding that they will pass on the QB and make a run at Garrard next offseason. I also feel Garrard is better then these prospects.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    Originally posted by KellenWinslow81
    Only problem... Spears is now rated way higher than Pollack on most boards

Most boards aren't thouroughly researched.

Pollack just had the most impressive showing of a DE at the combine ever with his ridiculous explosion/quickness number in the short shuttle.

Meanwhile, Marcus Spears has been unable to workout at all due to tearing his meniscus in his knee and requiring surgery a month ago. Projecting him at all right now is a complete crapshoot.

Leave a comment:

• myoung
    replied
    They are good, but they are more inline with JP Losman of last years draft then Manning, Rivers, or Roethlisburger in terms of potential. Certainly a team could take them right away and there's good argument concerning top 5 money is best spent on playmakers like QBs, but I would rather draft on value and those guys are way too risky as busts to be my top 5 picks. But all it takes is one team to believe differently.
    I think I agree with you; I would rather wait but that is not typical with NFL teams. I think these guys are both in line with JP Losman although most people have Rodgers a bit higher than Boller was.

Problem is that I think both the 49ers and the Browns are looking QB at this point. I thought the Browns would go QB but they were impressed enough that I think they are considering it. If the 49ers don't take one of them I think the Dolphins and Browns would both be happy to have their choice. If the 49ers take Rodgers then I think Smith might slip just a bit. But I don't see them both falling out of the top 7-8.

In my mind I think there are bigger impact players on the board but I think teams are scared to death to pass on a potential big money QB.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    Originally posted by NZrichy
    Great mock draft Mat'

Is Williamson really better than Mike Williams?

Last year they were saying that if MW entered the draft he had Randy Moss like potential and could be the best WR taken in a long time.

I know he has had 1 year off but he is a great athlete and I sure bet he caught a few balls from someone to get in shape for the draft.

I would probably take Mike Williams if I had the choice.

Also in regards to Rogers and Smith, these two had great pro days, do you not think maybe a team in the top 5 will take the gamble based on that? or are they really not that good.

I dont know too much about the college prospects, not as much as most people on the boards anyways...

I like the Broncos taking Spears though, I remember watching him 2 years ago and thinking he would be a good NFL player.

They are good, but they are more inline with JP Losman of last years draft then Manning, Rivers, or Roethlisburger in terms of potential. Certainly a team could take them right away and there's good argument concerning top 5 money is best spent on playmakers like QBs, but I would rather draft on value and those guys are way too risky as busts to be my top 5 picks. But all it takes is one team to believe differently.

Some teams have Williamson ranked above Mike Williams, most teams do not. Williamson was the only true star on his team and still delivered despite the doubleteams and poor QB play. I think the scouts that like Williamson project what he would have done if he was in USC's explosive offense.

Leave a comment:

• myoung
    replied
    I had Ware at 32 until Blackstock's Pro Day. That's the one pick I'm kind of wavering on but more towards Odell Thurman then an OLB type. I need to get all of Blackstock's numbers before I settle on it. They tend to reach with their 2nd first round picks on potential and speed, so that factors in as well.

I can't wait to see your mock.
    I also just heard Kiper say maybe Ruud with this pick. The pats know it would be a reach but he is there kind of player. I am not always a Kiper fan but he typically does his research.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    Originally posted by myoung
    Good post MUG. I will put mine out there today or tomorrow. Depending on when I have the most time. I will reserve the right to change it as well as I think FA can still give us an indication of what teams are thinking for the draft.

I like your draft other than I think the QBs will go alot higher, Pollack just a tad lower, and Ware will go before Blackstock. Especially if it is the Pats. Blackstock is too small for them at LB. Just my guess of course.
    I had Ware at 32 until Blackstock's Pro Day. That's the one pick I'm kind of wavering on but more towards Odell Thurman then an OLB type. I need to get all of Blackstock's numbers before I settle on it. They tend to reach with their 2nd first round picks on potential and speed, so that factors in as well.

I can't wait to see your mock.

Leave a comment:

• Denver724
    replied
    Great Mock! If Johnson and James fall to #17 I think the Broncos could trade up. I still like the idea of trading #25 and Pryce to move up into the Bengals spot. If so, it would be hard to pass on James or Johnson and I really like Merriman.

I don't know if Pollack will go that high. PFT states that he really turned people off at the Georgia Pro Day and has now fallen out of Round #1.

If Heath Miller is still available at #25 do we take him instead?

Leave a comment:

• Superchop7
    replied
    Come on Down, your the next contestant on.......

If James fell that far I would hope that the Bronco's trade up and get him.

Leave a comment:

• myoung
    replied
    Good post MUG. I will put mine out there today or tomorrow. Depending on when I have the most time. I will reserve the right to change it as well as I think FA can still give us an indication of what teams are thinking for the draft.

I like your draft other than I think the QBs will go alot higher, Pollack just a tad lower, and Ware will go before Blackstock. Especially if it is the Pats. Blackstock is too small for them at LB. Just my guess of course.

Leave a comment:

• NZrichy
    replied
    I think people are looking at his year off in totally the wrong way.

He is the best receiver available and I would bet $$$ that he has more catches yards and TD's than any other receiver taken this year. Barring injury of course.

He will be the 1st receiver taken.

Leave a comment:

• HORSEPOWER 56
    replied
    I live in SC and watched most of the USC (Gamecocks) games last year and I'm just not sold on Williamson. Any team that would take Williamson over Mike Williams is making a mistake. Williamson is fast, but I see him as more an Ashley Lelie type of receiver who will take a few years to develop. SC is a run first Offense and Williamson just won't be ready to jump in and contribute big right away. Mike Williams, barring injury, will contribute like Roy Williams, Michael Clayton did last year. He is a much better prospect IMO.

Leave a comment:

• KellenWinslow81
    replied
    Only problem... Spears is now rated way higher than Pollack on most boards

Leave a comment:

Working...
X