Punter in 3rd Round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punter in 3rd Round?

Now that we have two third rounders in the draft do we draft Colquitt from Tenn. in the third round? A good punter is a great weapon and we need one.
    The three Keys to football
    1. Turnovers
    2. Field Position
    3. Red Zone Play

Originally posted by BroncoRT
    Now that we have two third rounders in the draft do we draft Colquitt from Tenn. in the third round? A good punter is a great weapon and we need one.
    I think so. I'd really like to have someone who's at least productive and not a liability. Or, just an offense who doesn't have to punt would be nice, too!

Comment

No way. Remember Nick Harris; the guy we drafted in the 4th round in 2001. He was cut and didn't make the team. He was supposed to be the next Ray Guy. He has since made it in the league with the lions. We have recently signed a couple of punters. I think this is an indication that we are welcoming open competition which is not consistent with drafting a punter in the third round.

Plus in the third round there will still be guards that have starting potential. A guy like Matt Jones could also still be on the board. I would like to see us use those picks to add depth and strength to our every down team.

Comment

What ever happend to Hayden Epstein??

Comment

Originally posted by Black59Razor
          Especially with BYU's Matt Payne available....he could be a sixth rounder.....

I'm tellin' ya'll....we F'd up not giving Mark Mariscal a real look in at least the mini camps.....I KNOW he couldn't be any worse than friggin' Jason Baker...
          I would prefer Payne in the sixth round. He can kickoff and punt. He also can lay the wood on the return man. I was at the Boise State BYU game last year when he crushed the Boise State return man twice. He has some toughness.

Comment

Colquit kid from TN is a lot different than Harris. He is the real deal! Maybe our second 3rd pick... but man.. tough to say. He is a punter. But would definately help our special teams play.. down inside the 10... another fair catch by the recieving team... no prob for Colquit! Memories of Dante Hall would fade quickly.

Still, 3rd rounder?

Comment

Originally posted by Sherlock21
              Colquit kid from TN is a lot different than Harris. He is the real deal! Maybe our second 3rd pick... but man.. tough to say. He is a punter. But would definately help our special teams play.. down inside the 10... another fair catch by the recieving team... no prob for Colquit! Memories of Dante Hall would fade quickly.

Still, 3rd rounder?
              I know Colquit has good numbers but all I heard about Harris before we drafted him was how good he was. Not just supposed to be the best on our team but the next Ray Guy, IMO the best ever. I am not sure how Colquit is a lot different than Harris was at this point. I just don't want to ever waste a decent draft pick on a punter again. Late second day or undrafted FA. Plus we just signed some guys. No way we draft someone that early and encourage competition. That has the potential to be a complete waste of the pick. If you pick a punter in the third round all others better be gone because he is your man.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung
                I know Colquit has good numbers but all I heard about Harris before we drafted him was how good he was. Not just supposed to be the best on our team but the next Ray Guy, IMO the best ever. I am not sure how Colquit is a lot different than Harris was at this point. I just don't want to ever waste a decent draft pick on a punter again. Late second day or undrafted FA. Plus we just signed some guys. No way we draft someone that early and encourage competition. That has the potential to be a complete waste of the pick. If you pick a punter in the third round all others better be gone because he is your man.

Colquitt has a big leg but his strength is his directional punting. Nick Harris just had a big leg. Harris was a bust though, so I agree, it is risky. And the punter, BJ Sandler?, drafted in the 3rd last year did not play up to that status either.

Comment

hell no. even if we could get the best punter in the draft then, it wouldn't be worth it, because he'll more than likely be only marginally better than the others, if that. there are plenty of other needs on the team that need to be filled before that.

however, i do share your opinion that we need to upgrade the position. Baker ain't gonna cut it, period. I wish we would bring back Epstein, the guy was the best punter in NFL Europe and put up better numbers in camp than Knorr (although that's not saying a whole lot). I don't know if he did kickoffs as well though.

Check out Goal Line Blitz

WINNER of Elevation INC's Pick Your 53 Challenge....Sig to come!

Comment

A third round pick that i would like to see is Georgia QB David Greene. Just somethin about his style that i really like. He's not as good as other QB's in the draft but he's just about as close as you can get. Plus i think punters/kickers are late round picks not third round. you basically waste a high pick on a guy who will more than likely be there in the 5th, 6th, or 7th rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBrOnCoS16
                      A third round pick that i would like to see is Georgia QB David Greene. Just somethin about his style that i really like. He's not as good as other QB's in the draft but he's just about as close as you can get. Plus i think punters/kickers are late round picks not third round. you basically waste a high pick on a guy who will more than likely be there in the 5th, 6th, or 7th rounds.
                      I like absolutely nothing about David Green. He is a bit off in every category. I wouldn't want to waste any draft pick on him.

Comment

I'm somewhat of a Green fan. He broke Mannings records in the SEC. I know, it doesn't really translate to the NFL, but he has a lot of leadership and he has the "intangibles" thing going for him. Not the most gifted, but neither was Tom Brady...(no..I'm not comparing him to T. Brady). He had some success at Georgia, and I think he would be great with one of our 3rd picks.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoRT
                          What do we have at least two 3rd round picks this draft year?Yes of course.Jason Baker is in his late twenties,and he certainly won't be on the team in the long haul.

So I would love for Denver to draft a Punter,considering we would pick up a Top Punter precisely consiering that Punters are chosen on second days of drafts.
                          Rod Smith, Jimmy Smith and Art Monk are the most underrated recievers in my time watching the NFL. It's a shame.

Rod Smith: 2005 NFL Pro Bowler

Comment

Originally posted by EddyMac87
                            What ever happend to Hayden Epstein??
                            Wasn't he a Kicker?

And the last I heard was that he was on the Washington Redskins during the Pre Season the night they played the Hall Of Fame against the Broncos.
                            Rod Smith, Jimmy Smith and Art Monk are the most underrated recievers in my time watching the NFL. It's a shame.

Rod Smith: 2005 NFL Pro Bowler

Comment

Working...
                            X