Denver Bronco Drafting Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Bronco Drafting Options

I see the Broncos having 5 options in the first round. 1 of them would be premature but it is still a possiblity....

A - Taking a DE, but with a draft filled with talent at DE will the Broncos flirt with danger like they did last year at running back? I mean the ideal choices would be one of the top 5 DE's - David Pollack, Dan Cody, Shaun Cody, Marcus Spears and last but not least Eramus James. There a lone are 5 potential 1st rounders. That's not including some of the other monsters at DE like Matt Roth and Demarcus Ware. With Shannahan you never have any idea whats going on but, I see this being the ideal pick.

B - Here the Broncos might realize that they have 2 very good recievers but, with Rod Smith getting older and older and Darrius Watts struggling his first season the Broncos might decide to go after a WR. With Williams and Edwards more than likely in the top 10 the field shrinks but it still has some talent. The Broncos could trade up for Mark Clayton, Tory Williamson and Roddy White from UAB. I honestly don't think that this is what they are going to do. However after looking at recent mock drafts of the experts they are hinting at this.

C- Draft a gaurd. The loss of Dan Neil is bigger than people think. He was a season veteran and a very vaulable part of the team. David Baas looks nice but is he really worth using our first rounder? I dont see this happening at all. Broncos will use one of their new compenstary picks to get a good lineman and do what they do and make him great.

D - Keon Kennedy was more valuable than people think! However there are cappable safeties on the draft. Thomas Davis could be a possiblity if the Broncos move up in the draft. He is a hard hitting safety that can be compared to Kennedy. He's a big hitter and is almost big enough to play linebacker. Could be a nice addition. If the Broncos stay put they could find that they have a chance to take Donte Nicholson. I would love to see the Broncos take this route but I dont see it happening.

E - Finally the Broncos can cut their losses and take a CB. The loss of Kelly Herdon was bigger than everyone thinks. Some say he is #3 CB but I can't buy that. He in my opinion out played even " THE CHAMP" No one even considered Kelly Herdon to be a starter but, next thing you know he's locking down their #2's. In the Indy game he was the only CB to shut down his reciever. Roc Alexander and even " THE CHAMP " had a tough time all day! So the Broncos can take one of the later CB's I'm assuming Antrel Rolle, Pacman Jones and Carlos Rogers will be gone but, that still leaves very cappable CB's, Marlion Jackson, Corey Webster and Justin Miller.

Just some of my opinions. I am just upset with some of the moves the Broncos made this offseason. How about you let Jeb Putizer go, not sign Keith Burns, and Ian Gold, Stephen Alexander and try to keep Kelly Herdon, Keon Kennedy and Dan Neil. Then we can draft for a DE/DT or even a WR? I mean the Broncos let go of too many good players to just get average players. We lost 3 impact players this year and didn't gain 1 in my opinion. Bad moves might find the Broncos going out early in the postseason for another year.. trust me thats the last thing i want to see

Very nice post. The hope among most members is that the Broncos draft a defensive lineman as that is by far the weakest part of the team. I am banking on Marcus Spears' knee injury dropping him into the Broncos' laps. If that happens, expect the Broncos to grab him.

I do not believe that the Broncos need another first round wide receiver. Drafting a receiver with a compensatory pick in the third round would provide more depth. I really like Watts; he was nervous at times, but he is a good route runner with soft hands.

If the Broncos draft any offensive lineman, it will be either Khalif Barnes or Jammal Brown. Mat'hir Uth Gan had a very interesting board about drafting a tackle. However, Carlisle signed back with Denver on the condition that he would start at guard. He is much better than you seem to think, just watch film of the last few games of the season (excluding Indianapolis, who didn't even try).

I am personally glad Kenoy Kennedy is gone. Had he stayed, he would have started next to John Lynch again. Those two safeties are horrible in coverage. They were one hell of a run stopping duo, but they were responsible for many blown coverages that were pinned on the cornerbacks. By starting Nick Ferguson, a much better coverage safety who can still hit, the Broncos will have a better pass defense. I would like to see the Broncos trade up in the second round and take Josh Bullocks. Otherwise, James Butler and Vincent Fuller are good options in the third. If the Broncos do not draft a coverage safety, I see Jeremy LeSueur becoming a very good free safety in 2007, after Ferguson's contract expires.

I did not like the loss of Herndon either, but management is right in believing Walls has more potential. Walls is younger, but he must first prove he can stay healthy. The Broncos might spend a late round pick on a corner, but they've already got a cornerback depth chart of Champ Bailey--Lenny Walls--Willie Middlebrooks--Roc Alexander--Jeff Shoate.

Putzier needed to stay. He will improve even more next year. He is the future of the Broncos at tight end, not Stephen Alexander of Dwayne Carswell. He has chemistry with Plummer, and I see Putzier hauling in at least 50 catches this upcoming season. The loss of Neil kind of hurts, and it didn't save that much cap room, but Carlisle should succeed in his place. Again, I'm glad Kenoy is gone.

And yes, let's hope the Broncos draft a defensive lineman. Just not Matt Roth or Demarcus Ware.
    A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

Comment

I don't think Watts was stugling as much as most of us think...he almost had 400 yards, which isnt bad for a rookie 2nd rounder...and he can only get better...i don't see a reciever in the first round...also, theres another option...if we end up keeping pryce, and getting Brown...(if he even makes a decision), then i say we trade completely out of the first round and focus on o-line depth and maybe some help in the secondary with 2nd and 3rd round picks...

Comment

Enhanced mode

Any thoughts on round 2?

Comment

Originally posted by Superchop7
          Any thoughts on round 2?
          One possibility for would be to package Pryce and the #56 pick and move up big time in the second round. I'm not sure what kind of pick that would merit, but I would think maybe the upper 30s to lower 40s. If that happens, I want to see Josh Bullocks or Shaun Cody with the Broncos.

If we stay at #56, another defensive line option might be Chris Canty, who knows the 3-4 defense. He scares me, though. At his age, he already has lots of wear and tear on his body. I wouldn't mind the Broncos drafting an offensive lineman like C.J. Mosley or Chris Colmer. Colmer is a real sleeper, injuries have kept him out of round one. The only coverage safety that might merit the #56 pick is Sean Considine, but that would be a reach. At wide receiver from Georgia, Roscoe Parrish, Jerome Mathis, Chris Henry, and Courtney Roby are all options. Out of those, the only one I really like is Mathis.
          Last edited by PsychoChicken; 03-25-2005, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoChicken
            Out of those, the only one I really like is Mathis.
            Mathis can fly!! but is he really that fast in pads? if he can be a good 2nd/3rd receiver and a terrific return man, i'm all for taking him.

Comment

Good posts

I must say that Carlise is good I do underestimate him but how do you compare him to the all pro calibur of Dan Neil? Neil has been nothing but loyal to the Broncos and I just hate how no teams believe in loyalty anymore. Mel Kiper thinks that Demarcus fomr Troy State is gonna go to the Broncos but I dont believe so. I personally think that David Pollack is where we should go if we get a DE. I just think he is the type of player that any team should want. He has a passion for the game which makes him almost and automatic success. He has furious pass rush and some people think hes small but thats all bull ****. Size is overrated! Anyways this is my opinion on the Broncos in the draft'

First Round - David Pollack (trade Pryce and Putizer to the Jets for Abraham, and try to sign courtney brown, balls but thats how i live and die.) if pollacks gone get the best de avaible, preferablly in this order - pollack(uga), cody (ou), james (wis), or cody (usc)
              Second Round - This is a bigger question in my mind... personally I'd like them to get a safety that can roam the field. Ferguson is just as slow as Kennedy. I say the Broncos start Sam Brandon this year anyways
              Third Round - Take a QB (take the risk) Plummer isnt old but hes not young and his time in Denver my be up if he doesn't deliver this year.
              Third Round - Depth at oline ( just need people that can play if some1 goes down on the line)

Comment

Originally posted by Reichert113
                I must say that Carlise is good I do underestimate him but how do you compare him to the all pro calibur of Dan Neil? Neil has been nothing but loyal to the Broncos and I just hate how no teams believe in loyalty anymore. Mel Kiper thinks that Demarcus fomr Troy State is gonna go to the Broncos but I dont believe so. I personally think that David Pollack is where we should go if we get a DE. I just think he is the type of player that any team should want. He has a passion for the game which makes him almost and automatic success. He has furious pass rush and some people think hes small but thats all bull ****. Size is overrated! Anyways this is my opinion on the Broncos in the draft'

First Round - David Pollack (trade Pryce and Putizer to the Jets for Abraham, and try to sign courtney brown, balls but thats how i live and die.) if pollacks gone get the best de avaible, preferablly in this order - pollack(uga), cody (ou), james (wis), or cody (usc)
                Second Round - This is a bigger question in my mind... personally I'd like them to get a safety that can roam the field. Ferguson is just as slow as Kennedy. I say the Broncos start Sam Brandon this year anyways
                Third Round - Take a QB (take the risk) Plummer isnt old but hes not young and his time in Denver my be up if he doesn't deliver this year.
                Third Round - Depth at oline ( just need people that can play if some1 goes down on the line)
                1 - I would LOVE David Pollack! Unfortunately, he just had to run the fastest short shuttle ever recorded by a defensive lineman. In other words, there is no way he drops to us unless he sustains an injury. I'm banking that Marcus Spears drops because of the torn meniscus in his knee. He is a great combination of athleticism and size, which does matter in the 3-4 scheme that might be incorporated in the defense.

2 - Already mentioned my opinions on that.

3a - Which quarterback did you have in mind? A lot of people here are on the Adrian McPherson bandwagon, but I would prefer a more reliable player like Andrew Walter or Stefan LeFors.

3b - Agreed. O-line has very little depth. I want Evan Mathis just as much as everybody else here, and there is a good chance he will be around with one of the compensatory picks. If not, I'd be happy with Ray Willis.

Comment

Adrian McPerson

i dont know if i spelt his name right but that is beside the point. i personally think the broncos need a mobile qb but not mcperson. personally if i could take anyone in the draft it would be alex smith but we all know that isnt happening. im thinking we draft a guy like jason campbell. if we were to get him then his stock would have to drop and we would have to use our 2nd rounder to get him. i like charlie frye from akron but he is more of a pocket passer, same with andrew walters. im not buying into mcperson hes a wr that plays qb and im sick of seeing them fail in the nfl. i say take a winner. i would actually be excited to see the broncos be really bold and use a 5th / 6th round pick to find jason white. i mean all the kid did was win the heisman trophy one year and get nominated another.

Comment

Sorry

Some more names to throw out there are as followed :
                    kyle orton (purdue)
                    david greene (uga)
                    chris rix (fsu)
                    dan orkolsky (uconn)
                    stefan loforis (lousville)
                    derek anderson (oregon st)
                    not saying all of these guys will be good in the nfl but just giving some other options we dont have to use an early pick on a qb. just think of tom brady.

Comment

Also, the loss of Herndon is bad, and whoever said we have plenty of depth at CB forgets, we are in the same position as last year, minus Herndon. Which means we need some healthier playmakers. I would disagree though that Champ had trouble in the playoff game. A player like Harrison? Champ shut him down to less than a hundred yards. Amazing. Harrison is on the same level as Moss and Owens. We'll be fine if he is healthy to face Moss.

I hope Walls can stay healthy. I hope it was just bad luck. I hope Champ can stay healthy.

Comment

It looks now like Pollack, Erasmus James, and both Cody's will all be gone by #20, in which case, the Broncos would need to move up in the 1st round to have a chance at any of them.

Who knows, though, some team might screw everybody up and one might drop. But not, I think, to #25.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SimonSteele
                          Also, the loss of Herndon is bad, and whoever said we have plenty of depth at CB forgets, we are in the same position as last year, minus Herndon. Which means we need some healthier playmakers. I would disagree though that Champ had trouble in the playoff game. A player like Harrison? Champ shut him down to less than a hundred yards. Amazing. Harrison is on the same level as Moss and Owens. We'll be fine if he is healthy to face Moss.

I hope Walls can stay healthy. I hope it was just bad luck. I hope Champ can stay healthy.
                          Actually we have alot of depth at CB, its just that we had so many freak injuries this year at THAT position. Champ Bailey, Kelly Herndon, Lenny Walls, Willie Middlebrooks, Roc Alexander, Jeff Shoate, and Jeremy LeSueur. Thats 7 CBs, and 3 went down in injuries.

Comment

silly boy

kelly herdon is on the seahawks where have u been! also the broncos have a lot of cbs that are nobodies. remember its not quantity its quality and right now we have 1 proven cb whos the other? not kelly herdon in a bronco uni thats for sure

Comment

Working...
                            X