Draft a playmaker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft a playmaker!

Well its closer to having 4 solid defensive lineman and with the 25th pick it is unlikely the skillful players at the defensive line position. Who would you want to draft... and why?

I would like to draft Fabian Washington,CB because of his speed he will be a playmaker in the NFL.

Cody or Pollack

Comment

Maybe trade #25 into the 2nd round and pick up Vincent Jackson and either D-Line or O-Line help.

Comment

I say we draft the most impact player at any position except qb,rb. We look at what player on the board could make the biggest impact for us right from the start

Comment

I think you are right about us solidifying our defensive front possibly out of drafting a lineman in round 1. The signing of Ekuban tilted us in that direction.

Let's take a look at all the offseason moves so far. 3 new defensive linemen from the Browns, 2 linebackers from the Bucs. Alexander comes in at Tight End. Almost all Defense. We did lose Herndon, which stands to reason we will make at least 1 draft day acquisition at CB. But what about the offense?

I honestly believe that we are deeper at WR than we have possibly ever been. Watts and Luke both had solid rookie years and have tons of potential, and we finally get to see B.J. Johnson strut his stuff. Unless one of the top 3 WRs in the draft are miraculously still on the board when we pick, we're not gonna take a WR in round 1.

Same goes for corners. If Rolle, Jones, or Rogers are still there, we may take yet another (gulp) chance on a first round corner. But don't count on it.

Here's what I am thinking. Last year at draft time, we thought we had Shannon Sharpe around for one last year, and then he bolted to T.V. land and left us high and dry. In today's league a dangerous Tight End is an essential part of a high powered offense; not only for catching ability, but for blocking as well. Especially blocking. Sharpe was a converted WR. Putzier is a converted WR. We like converted WRs. And I think we are really going to like this guy:

Matt Jones.

He's a QB. And a WR. And a badass basketball player. And 6'6 242lbs with a frickin' 39 1/2 inch vertical. And this monster runs a 4.37 40. Are you kidding me? Nobody really knows what he'll be drafted as. But he would be a perfect TE. He is a smart, all around athlete that is physically imposing and multi-talented. Who is gonna be able to cover a tight end like this? Linebackers can't keep up. Corners are going to be at about a 7 inch height deficit.

If this guy is still on the boards at 25, we would be insane not to pick him up. He has all the makings of a HOF tight end, in my opinion. And tight end is a definite position of need for us. Imagine the pressure a guy like this could take off our Quarterback, Wide Receivers, and Running Backs. And imagine the headache he could cause for opposing Defensive Coordinators with our already formidable running game.

Comment

i think drafting a playmaker is a must, but i rly like fabian washington, drafting a corner is a must this draft, no matter what rnd...

i think a great move would be to trade out of the first round and nab more first day picks.

get a high second round pick

Comment

Originally posted by Perry1977
              Sharpe was a converted WR. Putzier is a converted WR. We like converted WRs. And I think we are really going to like this guy:

Matt Jones.

He's a QB. And a WR. And a badass basketball player. And 6'6 242lbs with a frickin' 39 1/2 inch vertical. And this monster runs a 4.37 40. Are you kidding me? Nobody really knows what he'll be drafted as. But he would be a perfect TE. He is a smart, all around athlete that is physically imposing and multi-talented. Who is gonna be able to cover a tight end like this? Linebackers can't keep up. Corners are going to be at about a 7 inch height deficit.

If this guy is still on the boards at 25, we would be insane not to pick him up. He has all the makings of a HOF tight end, in my opinion. And tight end is a definite position of need for us. Imagine the pressure a guy like this could take off our Quarterback, Wide Receivers, and Running Backs. And imagine the headache he could cause for opposing Defensive Coordinators with our already formidable running game.
              No, are you kidding me is the question. #25 on Matt friggin jones, a guy who has played one game at WR in his life? #25 is way too early, he is a 3rd round pick and there is a possibility a team would reach on him in the second but we would be 'insane' to pick him up there. i like the guy his athleticism bodes well for him, but he falls due to inexperience and the fact that he is a risk-reward type player.

Our first round pick should be either Brodney Pool, Dan Cody, David Pollack, Marcus Spears, possibly a CB that isn't a bust (I tihnk champ would prevent that), a WR (if one of the three falls or I would love to trade up and get Mike Williams, my draft would be complete if we got him), or trade down for more second and third round picks. the first pick is so in the air right now we shouldn't even talk about it, we will probably be unsure about it until after the first 5-10 picks we need to see what other teams are doing.

Comment

College: Associated Press honorable mention All-America following senior season when he averaged 20.6 points and 7.7 rebounds…also named first-team All-Mid American Conference and was runner-up for Player of Year honors…played on teams that won back-to-back MAC East Division Titles and posted consecutive 20-win seasons (2001-02 & 2002-03)…finished career ranked sixth in school history with 1,216 points…spent first college semester at Michigan State and transferred to Eastern Michigan University for spring semester in 1999 where he averaged 10.2 points and team-leading 7.4 rebounds…transferred to College of Sequoias in California for 2000-01 season but did not play basketball… majored in general studies

What about this guy? Never even played football in College.

Comment

here's my playmakers in this draft

Mike Williams WR
                  Brodney Pool S Oklahoma
                  Vincent Fuller S Georgia Tech
                  Adrian McPherson QB FSU, AFL
                  Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
                  Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma
                  there are others but I dont want to think I want to go to bed

Comment

Honestly, I'd like to see us take Justin Tuck or DeMarcus Ware. Both can get to the QB, and they both had a TON of tackles for losses. Dwight Freeney's success has made it awfully apparent that speed rushers are the way to go now at DE. Watching Freeney manhandle Jonatha Ogden was an eye opener to say the least.

If I was gonna go with a DB though, I'd take either Adam Jones or Carlos Rogers. DBAttack mentioned Fabian Washington. I thought I was the only one that liked that guy. Not only can he INT the ball, he's damn good at breaking up passes as well as being good in run support. If he's there in the second round, it's a no brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dub-DeuceKnight
                      here's my playmakers in this draft

Mike Williams WR
                      Brodney Pool S Oklahoma
                      Vincent Fuller S Georgia Tech
                      Adrian McPherson QB FSU, AFL
                      Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
                      Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma
                      there are others but I dont want to think I want to go to bed

Drafting a safety in the first would be pissing away a first rounder. We have much more glaring needs than that. Maybe WR, but again, I think TE is a much more important need.

TE, CB, QB, DE. But I really don't want to see Shanny blow another first rounder on a CB in the first round. How many times do we have to learn that lesson? =p

Comment

I'm with you on drafting Jones. I heard John Clayton state the other day that he would most probably move to the first round. QB's have naturally good hands, since they handle the ball on every snap. He's 6'6" tall, is 240lbs and runs a 4.3!!! Thats an athlete, a FREAK (if you will) that just doesn't come around that often. I think he would be a FANTASTIC chance at TE! He has ALlllll the tools it takes to make it big in the NFL at the TE position. If he's still at #25, I hope we take a chance on this kid!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                          I'm with you on drafting Jones. I heard John Clayton state the other day that he would most probably move to the first round. QB's have naturally good hands, since they handle the ball on every snap. He's 6'6" tall, is 240lbs and runs a 4.3!!! Thats an athlete, a FREAK (if you will) that just doesn't come around that often. I think he would be a FANTASTIC chance at TE! He has ALlllll the tools it takes to make it big in the NFL at the TE position. If he's still at #25, I hope we take a chance on this kid!!
                          Ehh...not in the first round. He is a project at any position, and even though he does have tremendous physical skills, I can't see him going in the first. If you want a TE, wait until the 2nd or 3rd and get Vincent Jackson. Atleast he's ready to play.

Comment

well.. with all do respect pLummer.... I'll take CLayton's information over yours. I don't think you find ANY players that are 6'6"..240.. and run a 4.3 dash. The draft is about finding the FUTURE for your team. When does THIS kind of size and speed come around? Not often. If we draft a TE, it would make more sense to draft one with THIS kind of speed. Tony G and Antonio Gates sure seemed to make their bastetball skills work out well for them in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                              well.. with all do respect pLummer.... I'll take CLayton's information over yours. I don't think you find ANY players that are 6'6"..240.. and run a 4.3 dash. The draft is about finding the FUTURE for your team. When does THIS kind of size and speed come around? Not often. If we draft a TE, it would make more sense to draft one with THIS kind of speed. Tony G and Antonio Gates sure seemed to make their bastetball skills work out well for them in the NFL.
                              I'm not saying the guy doesn't intrigue me, but we have more pressing needs right now than the TE position, especially in the first round. I also agree that he could be a menace at TE, but we need a menace on the D-line or another quality O-lineman. We don't need anymore projects, we need impact players. With all due respect.....

Comment

Working...
                              X