No announcement yet.

Draft a playmaker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess thats where we differ most. I think this kid IS an impact player. Tony G, Antonio Gates were HUGE impact players for their teams. I think the passing game went DOWN HILL without Sharpe.. that kind of DOMINATING presence can open up HUGE lanes for the passing game, and thus open up the running game. I think this kid's talent is HUGE.... and the offense IS a pressing need, IMO, especially in the red-zone... and that kind of player in the redzone would be an impact player.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
      I guess thats where we differ most. I think this kid IS an impact player. Tony G, Antonio Gates were HUGE impact players for their teams. I think the passing game went DOWN HILL without Sharpe.. that kind of DOMINATING presence can open up HUGE lanes for the passing game, and thus open up the running game. I think this kid's talent is HUGE.... and the offense IS a pressing need, IMO, especially in the red-zone... and that kind of player in the redzone would be an impact player.
      He is a freak for sure. If he had played TE/WR longer than he had, then I'd be on this kid like you are. 6'6 240 with 4.3 speed....that's INSANE. He's a "boom or bust" guy though, and right now I'm not sure if that's where WE need to spend a 1st rounder on. Some team may nab him in the first, but I'm betting he's an early 2nd rounder on most teams boards. Maybe the Vikings take him in the first since they have two #1's?
      Last edited by PLUMMERFAN16; 03-29-2005, 11:48 PM.

Comment

I dont understand why people think we should draft a WR in the first round. I know already that we will draft Vincent Jackson from Northern Colorado in the 3rd round and maybe we can get Jason Campbell or Adrian McPhearson with our other 3rd round pick. A cornerback would really help us out. I would love to trade up and get one of the 3 CB's.

Comment

Matt Jones is INSANELY appealing (raw potential with an unknown is always more exciting than a solid player you have a good bead on), but I don't think Denver should take him in the first round. If he's available in the 2nd, take him. Mort's report on ESPN.com (link below) has some GLOWING things to say about him. Maybe its all hype, but if we get a solid Dlineman, then take a gamble, I'm okay with that. Perhaps trade Pryce with our 2nd to move up in the 2nd.

Matt Jones
          "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." -Yogi Berra

"All models are wrong, but some are useful."

Comment

I thought shawn cody was our target in this draft, i guess not. As for the top impact players we probably wont be able to draft em let alone sign them

Comment

I'm sorry, I've gotta go Matt Jones too. I've been saying that since about 6 months ago. Although taking him in the first is risky. Maybe trade the 1st for a high second rounder and another 3rd rounder, take him in the second, and take a S, DL, CB, WR all in the third. Something to that effect would make me happy.

Check out Goal Line Blitz

WINNER of Elevation INC's Pick Your 53 Challenge....Sig to come!

Comment

Matt Jones

Biggest Playmaker in the draft. He'd be a steal and would probably still be around by our pick.

Comment

Yes im with all of you on this. Matt Jones has done so well on his pro-day and has impressed so many scouts with his natural physical ability that he is now projected into the late first round. In all honesty, he might be a steal to which ever team picks him in the #20 to #32 picks. I hope we pick him up and dont let the Patriots get him.

Comment

I don't think Jones or Jackson will be TEs. Both are more than capable of being WRs. They are both big, fast, and can catch the ball. The problem with converting either to TE is that now you have to teach him to block. We already have a good receiving TE (converted WR) that can't block in Putzier. Jones and Jackson are "freak" WRs that will completely dominate in the red zone and over the middle. I think it is a waste of their talent to put them at TE. Gonzales and Gates are TEs because they're TOO SLOW to play WR not the other way around.

Comment

matt jones

i believe we should pick him up but use him for a back up to plummer and if this guy is anything like they say it looks like he could be the next ben rothslienberger.

Comment

Originally posted by DBattack
                        I dont understand why people think we should draft a WR in the first round. I know already that we will draft Vincent Jackson from Northern Colorado in the 3rd round and maybe we can get Jason Campbell or Adrian McPhearson with our other 3rd round pick. A cornerback would really help us out. I would love to trade up and get one of the 3 CB's.
                        Jason Campbell and Adrian McPherson are both early second rounders after their workouts and I really don't think Vincent Jackson will slip to the end of the 3rd round.

Comment

yep, Campbell, Mcpherson, and Jackson will all be looooooong gone by the time our comp. picks roll around at the end of the third....

as for Jones, if this team wants to make a statement, we SHOULD pick him up because of his raw physical abilities alone. the potential this kid has is off the charts. will he be good at some position, regardless? not necessarily. but i just dont want us to be kicking ourselves in a few years because we let him slip by us...

ah hell, GO FOR IT!

Comment

Drafting a guy purely on potential makes sense. . . for loser teams that are facing a rebuilding process. Not us! I could see the Raiders doing something like that (if they had a late #1 pick, which they don't) or Cleveland (they won't because Crennel is too smart for that) or maybe team like the Patriots or Pittsburgh that basically HAS everything drafts late and wants to take a chance on a guy who MIGHT be a top player down the line.

For everybody else, including the Broncos, it's potential suicide to take a guy like that in the 1st or 2nd round. You CAN'T afford to miss with those picks. 1 missed 2nd round pick haunts your team for years and a busted 1st is often cause for the coach or GM to be fired. You get "Leaf'd", you get Canned!
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X