were not drafting a DL in the 1st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• were not drafting a DL in the 1st

It wouldnt make sense to bring in all these FA guys on the DL,then throw in our leftovers from the year before then add another with our 1st pick.Dont get me wrong Id love to see david pollock or marcus spears in a broncos jersey but I see us leaning toward TOmas davis from georgia(if he is there at the 25 pick).He would be a good pick up..Or you might say we will pick up a CB with the 25..Yea we could, but we wouldnt be gettin a Antrel Rolle or a Adam jones,at best we would get a Carlos Rogers(breakout SR yea), or a corey webster who is still new to the position only playing it for 2 years after going to LSU as a WR.BUt out of those guy I dont really see one that would start over lenny walls,they would be just another back-up competing for the nickle or dime spot.Ok so we have a DL now and a solid CB to complement Champ, so I think we need a WR....But not one in the 1st round..the only WRs that will be there at our pick are replica's of guys we already have, yea mark clayton might be there,he's fast good hands and is a deep threat,well that sounds liek D. Watts to me, the kind of WR we need can be picked up after the 1st round,we need a big possesion WR, a guy we can throw jump balls to in the red zone without them gettin tiped and picked.(SD game rod smith), we dont need anymore deep threats we have plenty. SO Im stumped,I can give you a list of great players we could get in the 2nd-5th rounds,but the 1st round gives me a headache.....what are you thoughts on our potential 1st round pick?

The fact that all 3 of our DEs are injury prone and likely to be FAs next offseason say otherwise. As does the fact we do not have a single pass rushing DT on our roster atm to start at the Under Tackle position.

We've acquired depth, and some quality depth at that if they stay healthy, but we are not even close to done with the D-line yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Diggs4
      It wouldnt make sense to bring in all these FA guys on the DL,then throw in our leftovers from the year before then add another with our 1st pick.Dont get me wrong Id love to see david pollock or marcus spears in a broncos jersey but I see us leaning toward TOmas davis from georgia(if he is there at the 25 pick).He would be a good pick up..Or you might say we will pick up a CB with the 25..Yea we could, but we wouldnt be gettin a Antrel Rolle or a Adam jones,at best we would get a Carlos Rogers(breakout SR yea), or a corey webster who is still new to the position only playing it for 2 years after going to LSU as a WR.BUt out of those guy I dont really see one that would start over lenny walls,they would be just another back-up competing for the nickle or dime spot.Ok so we have a DL now and a solid CB to complement Champ, so I think we need a WR....But not one in the 1st round..the only WRs that will be there at our pick are replica's of guys we already have, yea mark clayton might be there,he's fast good hands and is a deep threat,well that sounds liek D. Watts to me, the kind of WR we need can be picked up after the 1st round,we need a big possesion WR, a guy we can throw jump balls to in the red zone without them gettin tiped and picked.(SD game rod smith), we dont need anymore deep threats we have plenty. SO Im stumped,I can give you a list of great players we could get in the 2nd-5th rounds,but the 1st round gives me a headache.....what are you thoughts on our potential 1st round pick?
      At #25 there will be 8 players I think Denver will look at. Erasmus James, Marcus Spears, Pollack, Ware, Merriman, Barron, Barnes, and Jamaal Brown. We need line on both sides. These are the best in the draft and if they are not there we will pick another position. Remember it's not what you need. It's the best avaiable player for your system. If there are not any first round worthy DE's avaiable at #25 then draft the best player, which will be a DB. Davis, Marlin Jackson, Justin Miller, Fabian Washington, Brodney Poole. This draft is very deep with DB's.
      The three Keys to football
      1. Turnovers
      2. Field Position
      3. Red Zone Play

Comment

But if we do make the switch to the 3-4 the Dl play more of a dummy role,they take up the space of the OL to create lanes for the LB's.so I dont think we would draft a DL that can pass rusher cause they wouldnt get much of a chance to get a true pass rush that you could get in a 4-3,yea we might play both 3-4 and a 4-3 but by the end of the season we will be running a 3-4 full time.

Comment

Actually, we are modeling our defense after the Patriots. Which means we break into the 4-3 and 3-4 alignments at will. The key to that type of defense is having a physical freak with the talents of Willie McGinnest. Luckily, Courtney Brown provides that as he can play the all important OLB/DE rover role if he stays healthy. If he gets hurt, we are in trouble as the only other possible rover is Palepoi.

This is in contrast to a team like the Steelers that strictly run the 3-4 the entire time. They have no rover, just blitzing LBs. The rover is very hard to find, Shawne Merriman is the only one in this draft, and Dallas will likely jump on him quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
            Actually, we are modeling our defense after the Patriots. Which means we break into the 4-3 and 3-4 alignments at will. The key to that type of defense is having a physical freak with the talents of Willie McGinnest. Luckily, Courtney Brown provides that as he can play the all important OLB/DE rover role if he stays healthy. If he gets hurt, we are in trouble as the only other possible rover is Palepoi.

This is in contrast to a team like the Steelers that strictly run the 3-4 the entire time. They have no rover, just blitzing LBs. The rover is very hard to find, Shawne Merriman is the only one in this draft, and Dallas will likely jump on him quickly.
            Come on MUG you know as well as I do that Ware fits this role as well. He is up to 256 while still running a 4.56 40 and excelling in all positioning drills.

Comment

The first pick needs to go on the d-line, we need talent and depth.

Comment

SURE BUT THERE WILL NOT BE A DEMARCUS WARE OR MARCUS SPEARS THERE..we hav guys who add depth,they were just banged up last year...look at fatifahi,pope,davis,and our new guys we picked up in FA, yea lets just throw another guy into that mix...id rather draft Tomas Davis...

Comment

SURE BUT THERE WILL NOT BE A DEMARCUS WARE OR MARCUS SPEARS THERE..we hav guys who add depth,they were just banged up last year...look at fatifahi,pope,davis,and our new guys we picked up in FA, yea lets just throw another guy into that mix...id rather draft Tomas Davis...
                  Dude, where have you been? In case you have already forgotten that Colts game, Fatafehi, Pope, and Davis just aren't that special. And you just heard MUG tell you those free agents are almost all out of here next year. Not only do we need immediate help on the d-line (we still have a hole at DT), but we need linemen for the future too. If we avoid the defensive line in the first round again this year, I will lose faith in Shanahan permanently.

By the way, Ware will definitely be available, so don't caps lock crap saying he won't be. Spears also could be available because his knee injury might scare teams. Thomas Davis, on the other hand, won't fall past New Orleans at 16 and is below average in coverage.
                  A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

Comment

well prepare to lose ur faith in MIKE cause were not drafting a DL.....we will just have to agrue till the draft..

Comment

Mr Trump

Yes- Mike is the wildcard.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung
                        Come on MUG you know as well as I do that Ware fits this role as well. He is up to 256 while still running a 4.56 40 and excelling in all positioning drills.
                        The type of rover I am thinking of weighs in the 280-290lb area, if Demarcus Ware can get that big, then perhaps. I think Ware is an OLB in the pros, and will not be able to play DE. Again, he's never played DE a snap over 232lbs.

Comment

But if we do make the switch to the 3-4 the Dl play more of a dummy role,they take up the space of the OL to create lanes for the LB's.so I dont think we would draft a DL that can pass rusher cause they wouldnt get much of a chance to get a true pass rush that you could get in a 4-3,yea we might play both 3-4 and a 4-3 but by the end of the season we will be running a 3-4 full time.
                          Why do some people blow off what is written, repeatedly, by the denver coaching staff?

Denver will be a 4-3 BASE DEFENSE, with a tiny bit of 3-4 thrown in.
                          Why get warren to play a 2gap d, when he hates it and sucks at it?
                          His strength is 1gap. If they play 3-4, most likely he's on the bench. Is that worth it?

Gotta love her
                          Originally Posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
                          .... i wanted to offend nobody besides rushmore.
                          Originally Posted by Alastor
                          ......Intelligence isn't anything on wisdom or character

Comment

Originally posted by MtRushmore
                            Why do some people blow off what is written, repeatedly, by the denver coaching staff?

Denver will be a 4-3 BASE DEFENSE, with a tiny bit of 3-4 thrown in.
                            Why get warren to play a 2gap d, when he hates it and sucks at it?
                            His strength is 1gap. If they play 3-4, most likely he's on the bench. Is that worth it?
                            I happen to agree with you on this one but what do you mean why don't we listen. It is not like Mikey has ever lied to the press before.... Oh wait I might be mistaken on that one.

Comment

Pull your heads out!

Okay for those of you whom wished you were an actual coach yet sit around pounding beer on your Sunday as a fan, remember you are a fan and yes your opions matter, but use common sense. Denver just aquired veteran DL and with those we have still on the team from last years roster, why waste a needed position: The needed positions are SS, QB, CB, HB, OL and WR. So with Kenoy gone look at the Broncos using either the 25 th pick or a Pick from a Pryce trade to get a good safety like Jamaal Brimmer from Nevada-Las Vegas or Ernest Shazor from Michigan. If we have more then one 1st round draft choice I think Shanahan will use it to pick up a Quarteback or Cornerback, most likely on a cornerback since the quarterback I think is best for Denver will be available in the 2nd round. So if they have that pick look for them to go with a cornerback such as Ronald Bartell Jr. from Howard or Corey Webster from Louisiana State. With the 2nd round pick I think the Broncos will be aiming for quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick from Harvard if they do not have a higher pick to get him. This kid is the real deal as far as ability, tools and ethics and he is highly intelligent. with the 3rd round picks I see the Broncos picking up another halfback and most likely an offensive tackle. This is prime for finding those whom are talented but are in a slower, quieter division or there schools are not top ten schools. I think as far as running back, they should take a long look at Lionel Gates from Louisville and for offensive tackle I would be looking towards Rob Petitti from Pittsburgh. In the 6th and 7th rounds look for Broncos to be adding to depth positions for the future, Wide Receiver and offensive guard. At offensive guard I would use my 6th round pick and choose Logan Mankins from Fresno State or Claude Terrell from New Mexico, though Mankins is the better choice and with the 7th add depth and a possible steal in a wide reciever from a real small school like Vincent Jackson from Northern Colorado or LeRon McCoy from Indiana (Pa.), but overall I believe Jackson whom is the size of a top tight end is the better choice.

And you can mock me all you want or talk the trash, but most fans do not approve of the picks the teams make on draft day, but you sure don't complain when they end up being helpful to the progress of the team. I remember people were upset over drafting Pryce, Lelie, Mobley, Wilson and last year it was over Williams, just do me a favor be a fan and route for the team cause obviously they have been a threat for over a decade now, so in my view that is beyond good.

Comment

Working...
                              X