Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

were not drafting a DL in the 1st

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by lancane
    Okay for those of you whom wished you were an actual coach yet sit around pounding beer on your Sunday as a fan, remember you are a fan and yes your opions matter, but use common sense. Denver just aquired veteran DL and with those we have still on the team from last years roster, why waste a needed position: The needed positions are SS, QB, CB, HB, OL and WR. So with Kenoy gone look at the Broncos using either the 25 th pick or a Pick from a Pryce trade to get a good safety like Jamaal Brimmer from Nevada-Las Vegas or Ernest Shazor from Michigan. If we have more then one 1st round draft choice I think Shanahan will use it to pick up a Quarteback or Cornerback, most likely on a cornerback since the quarterback I think is best for Denver will be available in the 2nd round. So if they have that pick look for them to go with a cornerback such as Ronald Bartell Jr. from Howard or Corey Webster from Louisiana State. With the 2nd round pick I think the Broncos will be aiming for quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick from Harvard if they do not have a higher pick to get him. This kid is the real deal as far as ability, tools and ethics and he is highly intelligent. with the 3rd round picks I see the Broncos picking up another halfback and most likely an offensive tackle. This is prime for finding those whom are talented but are in a slower, quieter division or there schools are not top ten schools. I think as far as running back, they should take a long look at Lionel Gates from Louisville and for offensive tackle I would be looking towards Rob Petitti from Pittsburgh. In the 6th and 7th rounds look for Broncos to be adding to depth positions for the future, Wide Receiver and offensive guard. At offensive guard I would use my 6th round pick and choose Logan Mankins from Fresno State or Claude Terrell from New Mexico, though Mankins is the better choice and with the 7th add depth and a possible steal in a wide reciever from a real small school like Vincent Jackson from Northern Colorado or LeRon McCoy from Indiana (Pa.), but overall I believe Jackson whom is the size of a top tight end is the better choice.

    And you can mock me all you want or talk the trash, but most fans do not approve of the picks the teams make on draft day, but you sure don't complain when they end up being helpful to the progress of the team. I remember people were upset over drafting Pryce, Lelie, Mobley, Wilson and last year it was over Williams, just do me a favor be a fan and route for the team cause obviously they have been a threat for over a decade now, so in my view that is beyond good.

    can ya please space out your arguments, cant read that junk all in one go

    you say the needs are SS, QB, CB, HB, OL and WR but i disagree with most of them because at:

    SS - lynch is moving back there

    QB - we've got plummer for another 3 years yet

    CB - champ and walls will start, we may add depth but we have guys like leseur from last year who sat on the IR and middlebrooks, a decent nickel DB

    OL - i agree this is a need, we signed cooper carlisle to replace dan neil but i would prefer us to have better depth at guard especially with a strong draft for interior linemen, but someone also mentioned that we really should look at the tackle position should we lose lepsis next year

    WR - this can be improved but we have good young talent at our disposal, we shouldnt give up on guys like watts after a rookie season, we still have rod smith, ashley lelis, who had a career year, watts, guys coming back from injuries

    and i thought vincent jackson was a real riser in the draft boards and has done his bit in his workouts to raise himself to 1st/2nd material?
    Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
    http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

    I adopt Erica Weston

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
      The fact that all 3 of our DEs are injury prone and likely to be FAs next offseason say otherwise. As does the fact we do not have a single pass rushing DT on our roster atm to start at the Under Tackle position.

      We've acquired depth, and some quality depth at that if they stay healthy, but we are not even close to done with the D-line yet.
      Your main point that the Broncos should draft a DL in the 1st round is correct.

      Your point that three of the additions to the DL from the Browns are injury prone (i.e. Warren, Brown & Ekuban) is correct.

      Your point that all three will be gone as FA's next year is NOT correct. I believe that only Warren has the option to become a FA next year. The Broncos have an OPTION on Brown's 1 year contract for a 5-year extension, so if the Broncos want him they can keep him. Since NO NFL contract is guaranteed, this doesn't mean the team can't cut him in year 2 or 3 either.

      Also, you have forgotten Mike Myers. He's not injured nor is he "injury prone" (he was injured and played 1/2 seasons in 2 out of 7 years he's been in the NFL), but he was healthy and played 16 games in 2004.

      "The Broncos added a year to the one Myers had left on his deal with the Browns to make it even more salary-cap friendly." LINK

      So, he's locked up for at least 2 more seasons.

      Getting a Good Young DL is still necessary of course, so we don't have this endlessly recurring problem at DL that both you and I have decried, but it's NOT because all these players will bolt in FA next season.
      Last edited by Cugel; 04-01-2005, 10:45 AM.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Cugel
        Your main point that the Broncos should draft a DL in the 1st round is correct.

        Your point that three of the additions to the DL from the Browns are injury prone (i.e. Warren, Brown & Ekuban) is correct.

        Your point that all three will be gone as FA's next year is NOT correct. I believe that only Warren has the option to become a FA next year. The Broncos have an OPTION on Brown's 1 year contract for a 5-year extension, so if the Broncos want him they can keep him. Since NO NFL contract is guaranteed, this doesn't mean the team can't cut him in year 2 or 3 either.

        Also, you have forgotten Mike Myers. He's not injured nor is he "injury prone" (he was injured and played 1/2 seasons in 2 out of 7 years he's been in the NFL), but he was healthy and played 16 games in 2004.

        "The Broncos added a year to the one Myers had left on his deal with the Browns to make it even more salary-cap friendly." LINK

        So, he's locked up for at least 2 more seasons.

        Getting a Good Young DL is still necessary of course, so we don't have this endlessly recurring problem at DL that both you and I have decried, but it's NOT because all these players will bolt in FA next season.
        Hey, no fair!!!

        You quoted a post that was typed before it was made known Mike Myers was a part of the deal and before Ekuban and Myers had restructured their contracts adding on another year. BOOO!

        As for Brown. It's extremely unlikely we will pick up his option. This is the exact contract Ian Gold signed with Tampa last offseason, 5 year deal, 1st year guaranteed, with option the following March to pick up the rest of the contract. They didn't pick it up. Brown will be released barring an All-Pro season and if we wish to resign him at a lower cost, we will have to get into a bidding war to do so. I'm sure that bidding war will still end up far below what his option calls for him to be paid.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
          Hey, no fair!!!

          You quoted a post that was typed before it was made known Mike Myers was a part of the deal and before Ekuban and Myers had restructured their contracts adding on another year. BOOO!

          As for Brown. It's extremely unlikely we will pick up his option. This is the exact contract Ian Gold signed with Tampa last offseason, 5 year deal, 1st year guaranteed, with option the following March to pick up the rest of the contract. They didn't pick it up. Brown will be released barring an All-Pro season and if we wish to resign him at a lower cost, we will have to get into a bidding war to do so. I'm sure that bidding war will still end up far below what his option calls for him to be paid.
          I'm optimistic that Brown will stay healthy and have that All-Pro season and we extend his contract. It's the time of year to hope for the best!

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by lancane
            Okay for those of you whom wished you were an actual coach yet sit around pounding beer on your Sunday as a fan, remember you are a fan and yes your opions matter, but use common sense. Denver just aquired veteran DL and with those we have still on the team from last years roster, why waste a needed position: The needed positions are SS, QB, CB, HB, OL and WR. So with Kenoy gone look at the Broncos using either the 25 th pick or a Pick from a Pryce trade to get a good safety like Jamaal Brimmer from Nevada-Las Vegas or Ernest Shazor from Michigan. If we have more then one 1st round draft choice I think Shanahan will use it to pick up a Quarteback or Cornerback, most likely on a cornerback since the quarterback I think is best for Denver will be available in the 2nd round. So if they have that pick look for them to go with a cornerback such as Ronald Bartell Jr. from Howard or Corey Webster from Louisiana State. With the 2nd round pick I think the Broncos will be aiming for quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick from Harvard if they do not have a higher pick to get him. This kid is the real deal as far as ability, tools and ethics and he is highly intelligent. with the 3rd round picks I see the Broncos picking up another halfback and most likely an offensive tackle. This is prime for finding those whom are talented but are in a slower, quieter division or there schools are not top ten schools. I think as far as running back, they should take a long look at Lionel Gates from Louisville and for offensive tackle I would be looking towards Rob Petitti from Pittsburgh. In the 6th and 7th rounds look for Broncos to be adding to depth positions for the future, Wide Receiver and offensive guard. At offensive guard I would use my 6th round pick and choose Logan Mankins from Fresno State or Claude Terrell from New Mexico, though Mankins is the better choice and with the 7th add depth and a possible steal in a wide reciever from a real small school like Vincent Jackson from Northern Colorado or LeRon McCoy from Indiana (Pa.), but overall I believe Jackson whom is the size of a top tight end is the better choice.

            And you can mock me all you want or talk the trash, but most fans do not approve of the picks the teams make on draft day, but you sure don't complain when they end up being helpful to the progress of the team. I remember people were upset over drafting Pryce, Lelie, Mobley, Wilson and last year it was over Williams, just do me a favor be a fan and route for the team cause obviously they have been a threat for over a decade now, so in my view that is beyond good.
            I just mocked your mock draft in that other thread you started. After just a few posts, you have lost any credibility you might have had. Please, for the love of God, subscribe to scout.com, ESPN Insider, Sports Illustrated, and buy some draft magazines off the newstand and enlighten yourself.
            Last edited by PsychoChicken; 04-01-2005, 01:50 PM.
            A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

            So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

            Comment

            Working...
            X