Matt Jones at 25?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Jones at 25?

Anyone else with me on this? Theres a great article of him on espn nfl.

I think it would be a risk...We have more pressing needs..
    My Broncomania Adopt-a-Bronco: Rod Smith

Elway stops, loads up, throws deep down the middle of the field and Rod Smith's got it!

America is like your team, and if your not gonna root for your team then get the hell outta the stadium.

Madden Online Record 109-90 (7-3 L10)

Comment

I'd do it. Our D-line wasn't the only thing that suffered last year. Our biggest problem IMO was our redzone production. A guy like Jones could greatly improve that. If you don't believe me, check out the catch he made in the senior bowl... ala Ronald Curry vs us.

Comment

Honestly though... a guy who is 6'6... runs a 4.37..... and a 39 1/2 inch vertical??? My god those numbers are rediculous...the only problem is his hip swerve...aka poor agility.

Comment

dead on

people might call you crazy but check out the article on espn they say he s the best athlete in the draft and its not close dont be suprised if he is not there

Comment

Originally posted by ttejuco
            Anyone else with me on this? Theres a great article of him on espn nfl.
            Not in the first round. However, if we were to pick him up in the 3rd I would be ok with that.
            John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

He was a third rounder, but I think he's solidly in the second -- he's just too much of a risk at #25.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncology
                He was a third rounder, but I think he's solidly in the second -- he's just too much of a risk at #25.
                Taking risks is how you succeed. Playing everything conservatively (as we've done the last few years) keeps you average. I think a guy like Jones or Vincent Jackson is worth the risk in the higher rounds. They just have too much upside to be overlooked and cast aside so easily. I am one of those guys that most people on this board love to hate in the fact that I really think we need a gamebreaking receiver now. I'll explain:

Rod Smith is probably playing his last year (IMO). We have a lot of potential in guys like Watts, B.J. Johnson, etc but really don't have the time to let them develop like we did Ashley. We just don't have 3+ years to wait for them to "break out" during their contract year. We need a solid contributor who can go out and dominate a game right from the start. We need a Michael Clayton/Roy Williams type who can step in and be a force instantly as a rookie. I'm not in any way saying that our WRs didn't have a good year last year, but we have to start looking ahead and having a reliable, big-play guy is a must for our offense. I'd like to see someone that we can bring in and start in place of Rod allowing him to move to the slot where his short quick receiving style would be most beneficial.

With the moves we've made in FA and especially if we can renegotiate and keep Pryce (which I doubt but is a possibility) I'm in favor of going WR in the 1st and D-line in the second. The best way to beat a team like the Colts is just to keep their Offense off the field and turn redzone trips into 7 instead of 3. That is how we'll be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56
                  Taking risks is how you succeed. Playing everything conservatively (as we've done the last few years) keeps you average. I think a guy like Jones or Vincent Jackson is worth the risk in the higher rounds. They just have too much upside to be overlooked and cast aside so easily. I am one of those guys that most people on this board love to hate in the fact that I really think we need a gamebreaking receiver now. I'll explain:

Rod Smith is probably playing his last year (IMO). We have a lot of potential in guys like Watts, B.J. Johnson, etc but really don't have the time to let them develop like we did Ashley. We just don't have 3+ years to wait for them to "break out" during their contract year. We need a solid contributor who can go out and dominate a game right from the start. We need a Michael Clayton/Roy Williams type who can step in and be a force instantly as a rookie. I'm not in any way saying that our WRs didn't have a good year last year, but we have to start looking ahead and having a reliable, big-play guy is a must for our offense. I'd like to see someone that we can bring in and start in place of Rod allowing him to move to the slot where his short quick receiving style would be most beneficial.

With the moves we've made in FA and especially if we can renegotiate and keep Pryce (which I doubt but is a possibility) I'm in favor of going WR in the 1st and D-line in the second. The best way to beat a team like the Colts is just to keep their Offense off the field and turn redzone trips into 7 instead of 3. That is how we'll be successful.
                  Sir i totally agree with you. We need that go ahead help much like what DJ Williams did with the Broncos last year. Leading tackler. Jones could be much of the same. Theres a line that says: "Give him four months to work on nothing but receiver, and you'll see plenty of quickness. Trust me. " That scares me. Honestly what a freak of nature. When your that big and that fast they have to double cover you. The ONLY reason he's going lower than expected is just because of a position change. Teach him the nuisances of the position, refine his route running, and gentlemen, we have ourselves the next best thing in the league. This guy isnt a "Eric Crouch" type player either, he's alot better than that. He's like an Antonio Gates except ALOT faster and who can play QB, and did play football in college.

Comment

There is a lot of hype on this guy right now and people are all jazzed about him, and with good reason. He's big and fast and could potentially cause problems for any defense. But, we still need help on the DL, OL, and in the secondary. I hope we go after the top DE on the board in round 1 and then fill the secondary needs.

Jones may be talented but he is certainly unproven and would be more of a stretch when we need guys who are proven at their position. I give props to him but we need DL help and he doesn't fit the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncology
                      Too much of a risk for any team with needs at any position really. I think the Matt Jones love fest is media created, fueled by Pat Kirwan's man crush, and he will nestle in somewhere between the last ten picks of the second, or first fifteen in the third. For all this talk about being an active third quarterback and receiver, long snapper, tight end... how many balls has he caught in a meaningful game? How many routes has he run? How many defensive ends and linebackers has he blocked? And the quarterback play should be no consolation prize. To get a good read on Matt Jones the quarterback, go watch last season's Texas game, a game they should have won. Simply put, when it came to decision making, the guy makes Plummer look like Tom Brady. As for his measurables, they are fantastic, but watching hm play, you can't help but notice that he often doesn't play to his 4.4 speed. He is as raw as can be. Could he be great? No question, but he could just as easily be below average. To think he could make immediate contributions outside of special teams next season would be wishful thinking. Senior Bowl practice tapes show he has a long way to go in developing his route running, because the way he dips his head and bobs his hips tips off the defense on his cuts and breaks. He is a worthwhile gamble in the third, anything to soon would be a chance Denver can't afford to take.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure if I'd want to take him in the first, but if he fell to us in the second, or third rounds... CHA-CHING.

Comment

yeah Jones is an awesome guy and could definitely ending being a boom-or-bust kinda pick, but his stock is rising so fast right now (wouldnt be surprised to see him go in the first) and we obviously have pressing needs that need to be tended to first. if he is somehow, someway there in the 2nd, i am all for picking him up, but i imagine he'll be long gone at this rate. i would also be interested in picking Jackson up in the 2nd, but his stock is rising pretty darn quick too, and the Steelers are truly enamored on him....

Comment

I'm so tired of everyone saying he could be a bust. Anyone could be a bust, look at Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, those were " can't miss " guys and look how they turned out. We passed of Fred Smoot and Ed Reed both. I'm all about winning but i know sometimes to be great you have to take great risks and it's time we did. At least this kid loves the game of football and is the kind of player who will give it his all to be great. Hell i'd bet money if you went to him and said we really need someone to play FS or nickel back he'd do it in a heart beat, a troy brown, hines ward kinda guy. If he's there at 25 i'd take the chance!

Comment

I say do it. Then let him decide whether he wants to be a Tight End or....

Go after QB's as a DE!! You never know, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X