Trade Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Idea

here is my thought; there has been alot of discussion about trading down to get two second rounders but my question has always been what really makes sense. Here is my idea. Every year Philadelphia moves up a little bit to pick up a player they like. This year they have a ton of picks the first day and I think they will move up with one of them. In all likely hood they will move past us and move up a little higher in the first round. They have 2 second rounders and 2 third rounders. Lets trade pick 25 for picks 35 and 63. This may be a bit of a stretch and we might have to settle for pick 77 instead of 63.

I would then propose that we use pick 63 to package with Pryce to move up in the second round. I am thinking Detroit or New Orleans at the 40 range would be good. I know alot of you feel we will get the second round pick for Pryce without giving up the late second rounder or third rounder. I just don't see it happening. I would be happy if it did though. I see picks 12 through 45 being real close in terms of potential and talent this year. I want two of them with a potential to pick up a third if a guy starts falling.

In this scenario we would now have pick 35, 40, and 56. Then we also have the two late third rounders. I would guess this would get us 2 guys that we would have been looking at anyway in the 25 spot. Since we often have a tendancy to reach on players I think this gets us guys closer to their pay grade.

If this were the case I would then select the following three players;

35 Mike Patterson
    40 Vincent Jackson
    56 David Bass or Marcus Johnson.

Johnson projects by some to be a tackle and others to be a guard. I think he could play guard next year and transition to tackle as Lepsis leaves.

If it went this day I would then use the 3rd rounders on a RB that is falling like Ciatric Fason or Eric Shelton and then another OL like Mathis or Brown.

I know alot of you feel that all of these players will be gone by this point. I just don't see it. I think they will all still be on the board at this point. The one I am most concerned about is the Bass / Johnson pick. If they are gone I then wait until the third round to select OL and go with Elton Brown, Ernest Mathis or both.

Then with pick 56 I would select I would take Vincent Fuller the safety from Virginia Tech.

Just some random thoughts I would throw out because the last few days I feel like the discussion on this board has been the same thing over and over again. I wanted to add a tangible idea to this get another second rounder idea.

I would do that if those picks were guaranteed to be there. I dont think there is any chance of Patterson slipping out of the 1st round, he is too dominant. I don't believe you overlook 3 years of being one of the best DTs in college football because the guy is 1-2 inches shorter then preferred at 5'11". Draft experts might, GMs won't.

I like the idea of getting Vincent Jackson to develop for the future. And I like Marcus Johnson, not David Baas, because Johnson can play OT if needed. Which is where I believe our true need is at.

I firmly believe there is good value at 25. Specifically one of the last pass rushing DEs that slip and Mike Patterson, Marcus Spears, or Shaun Cody. There should be a difference making talent still available.

Trading to pick 35 probably allows for a good shot at Luis Castillo, who is a nose tackle, and Justin Tuck, who would fit well. Mike Patterson won't be there, but if Tuck is there, then I like it just the same though it's likely we would have to pass on Johnson and go for CJ Mosley instead so we have some form of pass rushing threat on the team this season at DT.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
      I would do that if those picks were guaranteed to be there. I dont think there is any chance of Patterson slipping out of the 1st round, he is too dominant. I don't believe you overlook 3 years of being one of the best DTs in college football because the guy is 1-2 inches shorter then preferred at 5'11". Draft experts might, GMs won't.

I like the idea of getting Vincent Jackson to develop for the future. And I like Marcus Johnson, not David Baas, because Johnson can play OT if needed. Which is where I believe our true need is at.

I firmly believe there is good value at 25. Specifically one of the last pass rushing DEs that slip and Mike Patterson, Marcus Spears, or Shaun Cody. There should be a difference making talent still available.

Trading to pick 35 probably allows for a good shot at Luis Castillo, who is a nose tackle, and Justin Tuck, who would fit well. Mike Patterson won't be there, but if Tuck is there, then I like it just the same though it's likely we would have to pass on Johnson and go for CJ Mosley instead so we have some form of pass rushing threat on the team this season at DT.
      I know you and I disagree a little bit on Patterson. I like him and want him but I currently don't see anyone else projecting him to be a solid first rounder. Most are saying early to mid second round. My position on him is a little less solid than yours. I would rather have Patterson but I would be fine with Castillo, Shaun Cody, Patterson, Tuck, or Ware at that spot and I believe one of them will be there. This is why I would do the trade.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung
        I know you and I disagree a little bit on Patterson. I like him and want him but I currently don't see anyone else projecting him to be a solid first rounder. Most are saying early to mid second round. My position on him is a little less solid than yours. I would rather have Patterson but I would be fine with Castillo, Shaun Cody, Patterson, Tuck, or Ware at that spot and I believe one of them will be there. This is why I would do the trade.

Oh, I think with your criteria, the trade makes perfect sense. Absolutely, one of those players will still be on the board. It's a great idea.

The only thing to keep in mind is that we need an Under Tackle. Signing Ellis Johnson or Tony Williams would elleviate the problem for this season, but both are stop gaps and provide marginal talent. In this draft, there are very few pass rushing DTs. Luis Castillo is not one, but he would be a fantastic replacement for Gerrard Warren next season at the Nose. Fantastic!

Under Tackles
        1) Mike Patterson
        2) John Babineaux
        3) CJ Mosely

** Shaun Cody, Antajj Hawthorne could possibly grow/shrink into the role.

And that's it but for some obscure diamond in the rough. Pass rushing DTs are the hardest to find commodity.

Patterson, Babineaux, Cody, and Hawthorne should all be gone by the 40th selection. Mosley is flying up draftboards now and might soon join them but should be available still towards the end of the 2nd round.

So, I'm on board for your trade plan if you would draft:

35 Justin Tuck
        40 Vincent Jackson
        56 CJ Mosely

Comment

Oh, I think with your criteria, the trade makes perfect sense. Absolutely, one of those players will still be on the board. It's a great idea.

The only thing to keep in mind is that we need an Under Tackle. Signing Ellis Johnson or Tony Williams would elleviate the problem for this season, but both are stop gaps and provide marginal talent. In this draft, there are very few pass rushing DTs. Luis Castillo is not one, but he would be a fantastic replacement for Gerrard Warren next season at the Nose. Fantastic!

Under Tackles
          1) Mike Patterson
          2) John Babineaux
          3) CJ Mosely

** Shaun Cody, Antajj Hawthorne could possibly grow/shrink into the role.

And that's it but for some obscure diamond in the rough. Pass rushing DTs are the hardest to find commodity.

Patterson, Babineaux, Cody, and Hawthorne should all be gone by the 40th selection. Mosley is flying up draftboards now and might soon join them but should be available still towards the end of the 2nd round.

So, I'm on board for your trade plan if you would draft:

35 Justin Tuck
          40 Vincent Jackson
          56 CJ Mosely
          I still would want Johnson but he is probably gone. I do like Bass alot I think he will be a road grater in the Hutchinson mold (who I feel is the best guard in the league right now). If we went with your selections then I would want to get 2 OL later in the draft. One of the comp picks would have to be a OL. I like Mathis at that point. I think we could wait until the 6th to pick up another guard. Maybe someone like Young from BYU. He is off the chart strong. I think we need a couple of good prospects on the OL as well. We also will pick up a RB in there somewhere just because we always do.

Comment

In reality none of this would happen until draft day as the Eagles typically move up to get a guy they want. I think it is more realistic that they package one of their second round picks with their first rounder to move up a little higher than us.

But it is fun to speculate.

Comment

Good stuff

Sounds like a trade to move up the boards can't happen, so this is the most sound backup plan I've heard. Good Job.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung
                I still would want Johnson but he is probably gone. I do like Bass alot I think he will be a road grater in the Hutchinson mold (who I feel is the best guard in the league right now). If we went with your selections then I would want to get 2 OL later in the draft. One of the comp picks would have to be a OL. I like Mathis at that point. I think we could wait until the 6th to pick up another guard. Maybe someone like Young from BYU. He is off the chart strong. I think we need a couple of good prospects on the OL as well. We also will pick up a RB in there somewhere just because we always do.

I still think RT is a much bigger need then OG. If Lepsis or Foster get injured, we are in bad shape because Carlisle will have to fill in. Next season, when Lepsis will likely leave, we have no starter at RT as Foster will move to LT. We need to develop somebody for that position this season. I think we have good OG depth on our roster with PJ Alexander and Josh Sewell backing up, but I agree that we need another OG later in the draft to develop. However, we have no OTs developing so I think that should be where we focus with our compensatory picks. Mike Munoz in particular would be good value, as would Evan Mathis since he projects as capable of playing OT or OG. Though, I'm not sure Mathis falls out of the 2nd round. I'd have no problem taking an OT and an OG with both compensatory picks if we already drafted 2 D-linemen earlier.

Comment

I still think RT is a much bigger need then OG. If Lepsis or Foster get injured, we are in bad shape because Carlisle will have to fill in. Next season, when Lepsis will likely leave, we have no starter at RT as Foster will move to LT. We need to develop somebody for that position this season. I think we have good OG depth on our roster with PJ Alexander and Josh Sewell backing up, but I agree that we need another OG later in the draft to develop. However, we have no OTs developing so I think that should be where we focus with our compensatory picks. Mike Munoz in particular would be good value, as would Evan Mathis since he projects as capable of playing OT or OG. Though, I'm not sure Mathis falls out of the 2nd round. I'd have no problem taking an OT and an OG with both compensatory picks if we already drafted 2 D-linemen earlier.
                  I agree to some extent. Here is the reservation I have with a full agreement. In my opinion all of our guards are not strong enough nor big enough. We have focused on the finesse game on the line for far too long. At tackle there will be some good UFAs available next year and we can drop Lepsis and pick a veteran up. I would have liked to see us trade Drougns and possibly a conditional draft pick for LJ Shelton and then cut Lepsis after June 1 this year. It would have freed up space both years.

IMO we need a serious upgrade at guard and need a RT next year. You can overhaul your guards in the 2nd through 7th rounds of most drafts. I want to do that. It is tougher to find a top tackle for that round of a draft pick.

Comment

Working...
                  X