1st Round Draft direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colorado69
    Do you think the Broncos will use a 1st round pick on a nickel cornerback? Not gonna happen. The Broncos had alot of experience for their rookie defensive backs last year; therefore, I see either a WR, OG, DE, or DT in the 1st. They have about four players with experience at the nickel and dime positons, so why draft a DB early? They need to start grooming Rod Smith's repalcement at WR. They need to develop more depth on the OL. They need some young talent on the DL. All of these needs supercede a nickel back. I hope they draft the best talent available at any of their need positions.
    I agree totally about not drafting a DB early i think we have a lot of young talent in those positions. But I also think that we have a lot of young talent in the WR position in Watts, BJ and Nate Jackson. Are they replacements for Rod Smith no not hardly, but i also think Rod has a couple of years left he had a 1000 yd year last year and so did Lelie.

I would love to see us draft some young talent on either line tho. Every year we have to revamp our d-line with FA instead of drafting them and devolping them. It would also be nice to get another George Foster somebody that can move the line to help in goaline situations.

Comment

Gusy think about this for a minute. Why did we let herndon go? Because we didn't like him? Of course not. We felt we have too much money tied up at that position and we couldn't first roudn tender both Walls and Herndon. We chose Walls. But based on that reasoning why on earth would we then go use a first round draft choice on a CB? It doesn't make any sense at all. We should draft them lower and try to develop or work with the guys we have to develop them.

The bottom line is that we had to part ways with Herndon because we couldn't afford to give him a first round tender. We won't spend first round dollars on a CB.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung
        Gusy think about this for a minute. Why did we let herndon go? Because we didn't like him? Of course not. We felt we have too much money tied up at that position and we couldn't first roudn tender both Walls and Herndon. We chose Walls. But based on that reasoning why on earth would we then go use a first round draft choice on a CB? It doesn't make any sense at all. We should draft them lower and try to develop or work with the guys we have to develop them.

The bottom line is that we had to part ways with Herndon because we couldn't afford to give him a first round tender. We won't spend first round dollars on a CB.

That's a great point. If we couldn't afford to pay Kelly, why would we draft a 1st round CB and pay him?

I think that logic completely defeats any argument that we will draft a CB in the 1st round.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
          That's a great point. If we couldn't afford to pay Kelly, why would we draft a 1st round CB and pay him?

I think that logic completely defeats any argument that we will draft a CB in the 1st round.
          However, many people didn't see Herndon as a #2 CB. They felt he is a great nickelback, but not really a starter. Would a rookie 1st round CB (Rolle. Rogers. Browner) command more $$ than Herndon was offered?

Comment

Originally posted by Sevenis7
            However, many people didn't see Herndon as a #2 CB. They felt he is a great nickelback, but not really a starter. Would a rookie 1st round CB (Rolle. Rogers. Browner) command more $$ than Herndon was offered?
            He would certainly command more than we tendered which was the minimum. a rookie first rounder would also command at least as much as we had to tender Walls as a first round tender. So the fact that we weren't willing to spend for a corner we liked then certainly decreases the likelihood that we would draft one in the first round.

Now the recent signings, in my opinion, have positioned us to pick up the best guy available at a position of need. It has also positioned us to take a guy that is falling. So if Rolle, Jones, or Rogers was falling to us at 25 you would have to take a look because of the value at the price. At that point you would be getting a top ten guy at the 25 spot. I don't think this will happen but in my mind this is the only way we even consider a corner.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung
              He would certainly command more than we tendered which was the minimum. a rookie first rounder would also command at least as much as we had to tender Walls as a first round tender. So the fact that we weren't willing to spend for a corner we liked then certainly decreases the likelihood that we would draft one in the first round.

Now the recent signings, in my opinion, have positioned us to pick up the best guy available at a position of need. It has also positioned us to take a guy that is falling. So if Rolle, Jones, or Rogers was falling to us at 25 you would have to take a look because of the value at the price. At that point you would be getting a top ten guy at the 25 spot. I don't think this will happen but in my mind this is the only way we even consider a corner.

I agree with you completely. I think you use good logic in coming to your conclusions on this topic.

The only secondary player that SHOULD be available at our pick that may get some consideration is Brodney Pool. I'm discounting Thomas Davis and the top 3 CBs slipping.

I think in this particular draft, the best value at pick 25 has got to be D-line, which is great for our team and its need to inject a youthful playmaker at DT. I read an article that said if we keep Pryce we would not play him at DT, but rather at RDE in a platoon with Ekuban. With Pryce staying at RDE in the 3-4 and Ekuban going to OLB. If this occurs then a pass rushing DT is certainly the one glaring need on our team, which makes Mike Patterson or Shaun Cody look really good at 25.

Comment

Our first pick right now is way up in the air, i hate it, but from another stand point I like it because it does give us the oppurtunity to draft the best available player, as far CB goes after Rolle, Jones, and Rodgers I don't feel confident drafting any other CB's due to past experience. but the prospects after them are Browner from Oregon State, Webster from LSU, Miller from Clemson, F. Washington fusker, Jackson from Mich., Eric Green from VT, and McFadden from FSU. none of them are worth the pick and none of them are sure fire. as far as DL I like T. Johnson, D. Cody, D. Pollack, and Spears, but injuries might be a problem. I wouldn't mind Brodney Pool but he isn't a need, i think we need to go offense probably.

Comment

It All Starts up Front

If we do draft a corner it still all starts up front with the pass-rush. The less time we give them to setup and throw the better any corner would look. Roc Alexander was in a very bad situation for a rookie last year, no pass-rush, left alone on an island, with Manning having all day to throw the ball.
                  Bronco Pride is more than skin deep, it's to the bone.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoPhoenix
                    If we do draft a corner it still all starts up front with the pass-rush. The less time we give them to setup and throw the better any corner would look. Roc Alexander was in a very bad situation for a rookie last year, no pass-rush, left alone on an island, with Manning having all day to throw the ball.
                    Lets also add the fact that the Offense couldn't pick up a first down against a poor D and therefore he was on the field in that situation over and over and over again. Bad News.

Comment

Working...
                    X