Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NO DL in the 1st....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NO DL in the 1st....

    If you can honestly tell yourself that we will now draft a DL in the 1st, you deserve to become a niner fan and like it. OUr DL is set.we have to look else were...and the places that come to my mind are TE and WR.why?although we just signed Jeb and alexander if heath miller is sittin there at #25 we would be stupid not to pick him up, he could come in and contribute right away and be a potential Todd heap...i kid you not...WR well we all know we need a possetion guy cause rod is gettin old.SO I ASK YOU OTHER than a DL who could you see us draftin realistically???
    heath miller proven.....
    matt jone?? kid ran a 4.3 at his pro day 2nd round guy)
    roddy white hate or love it he is good
    mark clayton... ..maybe he might be there prob. not though..
    vincent jackson (2nd round guy)

  • #2
    I was about to start this thread...but you beat me to the punch. I think someone is going to take a run at Heath Miller before our pick. The question still remains though, will they take a run at DeMarcus Ware. I know our D-line is set, but Ware could still be the highest rated player on our board at 25. Plus he's a tweener which adds to his value and versatility for our limited use of the 3-4. And more importantly he's long-term insurance should Ekuban or Brown go down with an injury.

    With all that said it's looking more like Roddy White, Brodney Pool, or Matt Jones.

    Comment


    • #3
      Definately if Heath Miller is out there you have got to take him. Same with any of the top WR's, if they fall to us PICK THEM!

      I kind of have the same feeling with safety Thomas Davis, but i doubt he'll fall that far.

      There is some good depth in this draft so it'll be interesting to see where we go and if any top guys fall to the #25 spot.

      Comment


      • #4
        I myself would take matt jones ahead of miller. Jones is a Kevin Winslow type who could play on the line or then jump out at flanker, could cause some reall matchup prob. if a LB had to cover him. He would force alot of def. to run a nickel just to have someone out there that could cover him and that would mean more running room for our backs.

        I think we need CB's to with the Raiders lineup we need to find a couple of good cover guys. In the third with comp. picks i wouldn't mind us getting a couple of the stanford kids, Atogwe at S and Wilson at CB. The wilson kids is raw but he's fast as hell and has pretty good size. Also Dustin Fox would make a nice Free Safety since he used to play CB, he's pretty fast, and he'll always put his nose in there on tackleing.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Almost Heaven
          I myself would take matt jones ahead of miller. Jones is a Kevin Winslow type who could play on the line or then jump out at flanker, could cause some reall matchup prob. if a LB had to cover him. He would force alot of def. to run a nickel just to have someone out there that could cover him and that would mean more running room for our backs.

          I think we need CB's to with the Raiders lineup we need to find a couple of good cover guys. In the third with comp. picks i wouldn't mind us getting a couple of the stanford kids, Atogwe at S and Wilson at CB. The wilson kids is raw but he's fast as hell and has pretty good size. Also Dustin Fox would make a nice Free Safety since he used to play CB, he's pretty fast, and he'll always put his nose in there on tackleing.
          I AGREE WE NEED A BETTER CORNER TO PLAY ALONGSIDE OF CHAMP OR A WR BUT I THINK WE CAN SOME VALUE THERE LATER IN THE DRAFT

          Comment


          • #6
            If we neglect the D-line in the 1st rounder again I might get madd. Demarcus Ware or Patterson are viable options at #25, but if any top talent drops to us I agree we should take them. For now though I'm sticking to D-Ware playing DE and becoming Freeney JR...
            sigpic
            PSN & XBL: Vicious2500
            You Shed Tears of Scarlet

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Diggs4
              If you can honestly tell yourself that we will now draft a DL in the 1st, you deserve to become a niner fan and like it. OUr DL is set.we have to look else were...and the places that come to my mind are TE and WR.why?although we just signed Jeb and alexander if heath miller is sittin there at #25 we would be stupid not to pick him up, he could come in and contribute right away and be a potential Todd heap...i kid you not...WR well we all know we need a possetion guy cause rod is gettin old.SO I ASK YOU OTHER than a DL who could you see us draftin realistically???
              heath miller proven.....
              matt jone?? kid ran a 4.3 at his pro day 2nd round guy)
              roddy white hate or love it he is good
              mark clayton... ..maybe he might be there prob. not though..
              vincent jackson (2nd round guy)
              Then you obviously aren't aware that none of defensive line we have right now have long term contracts. The signings take some of the pressure off if a top fight defensive line isn't there. Actually we would stupid to take Miller considering already showed the Jets how much we actually like Jeb. Now taking someone like Mark Clayton if available would be great. Problem is Miller and Clayton are sure to be gone well before we pick. If for some reason we draft Matt Jones fine. But falling in love with his speed isn't going change the fact that there very little chance he can contribute right away.
              Last edited by TXBRONC; 04-06-2005, 08:28 AM.
              John 11: 25-27

              My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



              Thanks Snk16

              Comment


              • #8
                thank you!

                Originally posted by TXBRONC
                Then you obviously aren't aware that none of defensive line we have right now have long term contracts. The signings take some of the pressure off if top fight defensive line isn't there. Actually we would stupid to take Miller considering already showed the Jets how much we actually like Jeb. Now taking someone like Mark Clayton if available would be great. Problem is Miller and Clayton are sure to be gone well before we pick. If for some reason we draft Matt Jones fine. But falling in love with his speed isn't change the fact that the very little chance he can contribute right away.
                Thank you for saying this. Because it would be VERY shortsighted of us to assume that just because we've solidified the line for this season that there is no concern. The only reason we were in any place to make the moves we had to was because of the poor track record drafting DL early.

                If or when any of these d-lineman leave next season and command big dollars, the Broncos will be right back where they started without much youth, talent, or quality depth on the d-line.

                I agree that we can't put ourselves in a spot to only draft d-line, but it must still be seriously considered in the first as we look at the best available player. I agree that Mark Clayton would be one of those players that if he were to drop, he'd be worth the selection. Same thing if someone like J. Brown or K. Barnes is there at 25.

                This draft does not have much quality at d-line past the early third round, so Denver must continue to upgrade with youth and talent for the future in order to keep themselves from facing a similar offseason in the future. If we do pursue another position in the first because of a talent who is available, we must look seriously in the second round at a player like Jonathan Babineaux who would give us a disruptive presence at DT.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jletourneau
                  Thank you for saying this. Because it would be VERY shortsighted of us to assume that just because we've solidified the line for this season that there is no concern. The only reason we were in any place to make the moves we had to was because of the poor track record drafting DL early.

                  If or when any of these d-lineman leave next season and command big dollars, the Broncos will be right back where they started without much youth, talent, or quality depth on the d-line.

                  I agree that we can't put ourselves in a spot to only draft d-line, but it must still be seriously considered in the first as we look at the best available player. I agree that Mark Clayton would be one of those players that if he were to drop, he'd be worth the selection. Same thing if someone like J. Brown or K. Barnes is there at 25.

                  This draft does not have much quality at d-line past the early third round, so Denver must continue to upgrade with youth and talent for the future in order to keep themselves from facing a similar offseason in the future. If we do pursue another position in the first because of a talent who is available, we must look seriously in the second round at a player like Jonathan Babineaux who would give us a disruptive presence at DT.
                  I agree once again Jlet. We must not ignore the defensive line in this draft, but most take the best available in the first. Should Pollack, James, Spears, Merriman or T. Johnson fall to 25, I think you seriously look into taking them. What we should not do is just take a defensive tackle because we need one, like a Luis Castillo or Shaun Cody. Those two players do not hold first round value, and every year, a handful of mid-first selections slip into the 20's, which is what we should be looking at, picking value. I think you cross your fingers for Williamson, Clayton or Barnes, and then run to the podium should they be there, Barnes especially. We really shouldn't pigeon hole our first round selection, but open ourselves to take the best player that falls to 25, with limited exceptions.

                  Second round should be the designated defensive line pick. Again you hope that Patterson or Cody falls, unlikely, but open yourselves up for Babineaux, Mosely or Ellison. All three have the athleticism to play the under tackle, with Babineaux being ideal. Ultimately, just be patient, because every year quality players slip way beyond their projection, sometimes two rounds beyond it (ala Randy Starks). Just last year, Ahmad Carroll and Vernon Carey were "reached" at or before pick twenty five, and it wouldn't be out of the realm to think that with this draft's "quantity over quality" appearance, you can expect to see more players reached for, allowing for talented players to trickle down to 25 and beyond.

                  Another prospect to watch is Eric Coleman of Clemson. Projected all over the board, Coleman has flashed the potential to be a very disruptive one gap tackle, who's motor runs in cycles. Should he fall to the six round, Coleman could prove to be a valuable selection in the Monsato Pope mold, with more potential.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by OhNoKoolAid
                    I agree once again Jlet. We must not ignore the defensive line in this draft, but most take the best available in the first. Should Pollack, James, Spears, Merriman or T. Johnson fall to 25, I think you seriously look into taking them. What we should not do is just take a defensive tackle because we need one, like a Luis Castillo or Shaun Cody. Those two players do not hold first round value, and every year, a handful of mid-first selections slip into the 20's, which is what we should be looking at, picking value. I think you cross your fingers for Williamson, Clayton or Barnes, and then run to the podium should they be there, Barnes especially. We really shouldn't pigeon hole our first round selection, but open ourselves to take the best player that falls to 25, with limited exceptions.

                    Second round should be the designated defensive line pick. Again you hope that Patterson or Cody falls, unlikely, but open yourselves up for Babineaux, Mosely or Ellison. All three have the athleticism to play the under tackle, with Babineaux being ideal. Ultimately, just be patient, because every year quality players slip way beyond their projection, sometimes two rounds beyond it (ala Randy Starks). Just last year, Ahmad Carroll and Vernon Carey were "reached" at or before pick twenty five, and it wouldn't be out of the realm to think that with this draft's "quantity over quality" appearance, you can expect to see more players reached for, allowing for talented players to trickle down to 25 and beyond.

                    Another prospect to watch is Eric Coleman of Clemson. Projected all over the board, Coleman has flashed the potential to be a very disruptive one gap tackle, who's motor runs in cycles. Should he fall to the six round, Coleman could prove to be a valuable selection in the Monsato Pope mold, with more potential.
                    Exactly, considering the circumstances that we are in with our new defensive line just ignoring isn't wise, especially if one of the guys you mentioned is available.
                    John 11: 25-27

                    My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



                    Thanks Snk16

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by OhNoKoolAid
                      I agree once again Jlet. We must not ignore the defensive line in this draft, but most take the best available in the first. Should Pollack, James, Spears, Merriman or T. Johnson fall to 25, I think you seriously look into taking them. What we should not do is just take a defensive tackle because we need one, like a Luis Castillo or Shaun Cody. Those two players do not hold first round value, and every year, a handful of mid-first selections slip into the 20's, which is what we should be looking at, picking value. I think you cross your fingers for Williamson, Clayton or Barnes, and then run to the podium should they be there, Barnes especially. We really shouldn't pigeon hole our first round selection, but open ourselves to take the best player that falls to 25, with limited exceptions.

                      Second round should be the designated defensive line pick. Again you hope that Patterson or Cody falls, unlikely, but open yourselves up for Babineaux, Mosely or Ellison. All three have the athleticism to play the under tackle, with Babineaux being ideal. Ultimately, just be patient, because every year quality players slip way beyond their projection, sometimes two rounds beyond it (ala Randy Starks). Just last year, Ahmad Carroll and Vernon Carey were "reached" at or before pick twenty five, and it wouldn't be out of the realm to think that with this draft's "quantity over quality" appearance, you can expect to see more players reached for, allowing for talented players to trickle down to 25 and beyond.

                      Another prospect to watch is Eric Coleman of Clemson. Projected all over the board, Coleman has flashed the potential to be a very disruptive one gap tackle, who's motor runs in cycles. Should he fall to the six round, Coleman could prove to be a valuable selection in the Monsato Pope mold, with more potential.

                      i agree about selecting DL

                      people are jumping onto the ship way too early for our DL, we have got better POTENTIAL but nothing in terms of performance, if the guys we got this year do flop then we need some kind of insurance plus we know that some of them have injury problems in the past which means getting good depth and young players is vital

                      but i think that shaun cody is bottom of the first material, not luis castillo though, hes a good player but i think his workout is above his play at the moment, but he has great potential
                      Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
                      http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

                      I adopt Erica Weston

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think we have enough D line for this year, and we can adress it in the later rounds, and if need be first round next year......simply put I think we just need to draft the best available WR, or CB.....even Heath Miller at TE if he is there......


                        ^Snk16

                        Broncos Kick Ass

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Lelieisdaman
                          I think we have enough D line for this year, and we can adress it in the later rounds, and if need be first round next year......simply put I think we just need to draft the best available WR, or CB.....even Heath Miller at TE if he is there......
                          But the kick is that all of our new aquisitions have short term contracts. If a top flight DE or DT is available in the first round imho it is still prudent to draft one.

                          Miller may very will be a great TE in the future but just don't have a need for him. If came down to drafting Miller or someone like Spears, Spears would be my first choice no question about it.
                          John 11: 25-27

                          My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



                          Thanks Snk16

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TXBRONC
                            But the kick is that all of our new aquisitions have short term contracts. If a top flight DE or DT is available in the first round imho it is still prudent to draft one.

                            Miller may very will be a great TE in the future but just don't have a need for him. If came down to drafting Miller or someone like Spears, Spears would be my first choice no question about it.
                            Like you, I am amazed that people can't see a good recieving tight end when one is right under their nose, and that guy, Jeb Putzier, is under a reasonable five year, 12 million dollar contract. And if tight end really is an issue, just wait and hope for Alex Smith in the second, who really should be mentioned in the same breath as Heath Miller, and the talk that Smith is unathletic and not a seem stretcher is just bogus. Smith has a similar athletic skill set to Randy McMichael, and should produce similar results in the right system.

                            Away from the bogus talk of tight end, the simple fact is you cannot write off defensive line in the first. I'm not saying you have to draft d-line, but look for value on the defensive line if it is there, and don't reach. As said before, I am hoping for Khalif Barnes, but would not mind taking one of the top four recievers. If neither position (tackle or reciever) has a first round quality player remaining, then you look at corner or second teir defensive line, never tight end and never Matt Jones.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by DenverFanInGB
                              Definately if Heath Miller is out there you have got to take him. Same with any of the top WR's, if they fall to us PICK THEM!

                              I kind of have the same feeling with safety Thomas Davis, but i doubt he'll fall that far.

                              There is some good depth in this draft so it'll be interesting to see where we go and if any top guys fall to the #25 spot.

                              Quick heads up-Heath Miller isn't the athlete everyone says he is. He's similar to Anthony Becht. His C.O.D. ability isn't very strong at all. Kevin Everett's the athlete out of the group.

                              Don't be afraid to challenge these draft wonks. If they say "player X" is this at his position don't believe it. Prove it to yourself. Find someone (like myself, we're out there) who tapes everything. If you can't get ahold of film, wait for something to come up on ESPN classic (I do that from time-to-time. I don't have the resources that other guys do, sometimes I have to wait for a game to show up on there). If you do that you'll see that some of these guys aren't the athletes they've been advertised to be. Unfortunately, Miller's one of those guys.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X