Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another trading up idea...

Now, don't ridicule...

I normally don't propose trading up in the draft but I thought I'd give it a go. The Cowboys have apparently let it be known that they are looking to trade the #11 pick in the draft.
    The Cowboys might trade the 11th pick in the upcoming NFL Draft. Owner Jerry Jones said that if the Cowboys made a trade, it would be down, not up. His hope would be to turn the two first-round picks into at least three cornerstone players. Jones said the Cowboys weren't focusing on any particular players or positions. He said they have needs across the board and will seek the best players available.
    -- Fort Worth Star-Telegram
    So, while I normally prefer to keep our picks where there are and just take the best available players, I started tossing around the idea of making a trade.

Perhaps the Cowboys would trade the #11 pick for our first rounder (#25 overall) plus our second and one of our third rounders. (Some of you draft pros can tell me if that's viable or not with your value calculations.) With the #11 pick we take the best player that drops to us semi-based on need.

If either Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards mysteriously dropped to #11, I take either one in a hearbeat. (I know, unlikely.)

Barring that, somebody expected to go in the top 10 almost always slips just a bit because of an unexpected pick by one of the early teams. So, we might have a shot at Antrel Rolle or Adam "Pac-Man" Jones at cornerback. (I know the Broncos are high on Walls, but are they that high on him that they'd pass up one of these guys?) Alex Barron would fill a likely future need at OT. Or we could have our pick of defensive linemen like Marcus Spears, Shawne Merriman, etc., although it will likely be too early for some of the top linemen. (Merriman probably not as desireable with our recent 4-3 linemen moves). While I'd like a really good cover safety, I don't believe there's anybody worth the #11 pick. Anyway, there are several areas that we could get the best available player that could fill a weaker spot on the team.

Any thoughts? (Don't be too harsh. Remember that I'm not as big a draft fanatic as most of you. )
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

in my opinion, moving up in with this draft class is a bad idea...plus mike williams, and braylon edwards would not be there at 11..and it's not like we need another young reciever...
    Last edited by EddyMac87; 04-06-2005, 10:05 AM.

Comment

our third rounders cannot be traded because they are compensatory picks

Comment

I understand the premise of what you're saying, and I too would like to see the Broncos trade up, but perhaps not quite as high as 11. I think they could get great value in the 16-20 range and give up less in the process.

However, regarding your trade scenario, the primary hole is that teams are not allowed to trade compensatory picks.

I would like Denver to trade up, but I would prefer if they trade up they pursue one of the following players: Troy Williamson, David Pollack, Jammal Brown, Mark Clayton or Khalif Barnes in the middle of the round with a deal for 16-20.

Comment

Hmm, this has got to be someone else posting as Javalon.

He knows we can't trade compensatory picks. He also wants D-line, and he would not want to trade up knowing that we need the picks to provide depth throughout our defense.

Either you've lost your damn mind, or this is a haux. Im leaning towards the latter.

Comment

Intriguing thought. Here is the problem we can't trade a third rounder because they are comp picks. So it would most likely be #25 and our second rounder for pick #11. In this draft that is not too much of a stretch. The value difference between 11 and 25 is not as big as most years.

The problem as I see it is that there is a good chance that none of the guys we want if available. The two WRs will most definately be gone. Jones and Rolle are probably not worth both picks (to our team at least). This would make sense to me if we had targeted Barron, Merriman, or Pollack and needed to move up to get them.

I don't see it happening though. Good thought at least and alot more realistic than some have posted out here. I would say stay at 25 and take the best player at a need position.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung
              Intriguing thought. Here is the problem we can't trade a third rounder because they are comp picks. So it would most likely be #25 and our second rounder for pick #11. In this draft that is not too much of a stretch. The value difference between 11 and 25 is not as big as most years.

The problem as I see it is that there is a good chance that none of the guys we want if available. The two WRs will most definately be gone. Jones and Rolle are probably not worth both picks (to our team at least). This would make sense to me if we had targeted Barron, Merriman, or Pollack and needed to move up to get them.

I don't see it happening though. Good thought at least and alot more realistic than some have posted out here. I would say stay at 25 and take the best player at a need position.
              I had originally heard that we can't trade compensatory picks. But I also thought somebody had posted a thread showing that such picks have indeed been traded. Obviously, if we can't trade them then the idea is out the door.

As to the rest, I'm an avid supporter of staying put and keeping more picks rather than trading them in for one high pick. However, we so rarely have a pick that high in the draft that it's fun to think about the possibility.

I also realize that our positions of greatest need are probably not worthy of the #11 pick. But the thought of one of those receivers dropping and our getting one of them is salivating. I know the odds are against it. So, my first instinct would be to wait until draft day and make the trade if the unlikely were to happen. The problem being that the Cowboys probably wouldn't make the trade if that situation arose on draft day.

Anyway, if we really can't trade our compensatory picks, then this fantasizing is pointless. But it was still fun to think about.
              "You can't take the sky from me..."
              ------
              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                Now, don't ridicule...

I normally don't propose trading up in the draft but I thought I'd give it a go. The Cowboys have apparently let it be known that they are looking to trade the #11 pick in the draft.

So, while I normally prefer to keep our picks where there are and just take the best available players, I started tossing around the idea of making a trade.

Perhaps the Cowboys would trade the #11 pick for our first rounder (#25 overall) plus our second and one of our third rounders. (Some of you draft pros can tell me if that's viable or not with your value calculations.) With the #11 pick we take the best player that drops to us semi-based on need.

If either Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards mysteriously dropped to #11, I take either one in a hearbeat. (I know, unlikely.)

Barring that, somebody expected to go in the top 10 almost always slips just a bit because of an unexpected pick by one of the early teams. So, we might have a shot at Antrel Rolle or Adam "Pac-Man" Jones at cornerback. (I know the Broncos are high on Walls, but are they that high on him that they'd pass up one of these guys?) Alex Barron would fill a likely future need at OT. Or we could have our pick of defensive linemen like Marcus Spears, Shawne Merriman, etc., although it will likely be too early for some of the top linemen. (Merriman probably not as desireable with our recent 4-3 linemen moves). While I'd like a really good cover safety, I don't believe there's anybody worth the #11 pick. Anyway, there are several areas that we could get the best available player that could fill a weaker spot on the team.

Any thoughts? (Don't be too harsh. Remember that I'm not as big a draft fanatic as most of you. )
                We could also use a playmaking wide receiver. Btw this is very well thought out imo.
                John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Or we give up less and trade into the 16-19 range and get williamson from South Carolina who is a MAJOR deep threat

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                    Now, don't ridicule...

nice idea, but wacky

im still in the stay at 25 or even trade out of the first round if we are sure we can get someone at the top of the 2nd round
                    Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
                    http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

I adopt Erica Weston

Comment

Originally posted by kerkhoff1
                      Or we give up less and trade into the 16-19 range and get williamson from South Carolina who is a MAJOR deep threat
                      Lelie is actually a pretty viable deep threat - I would prefer someone in the Mike Williams mold (obviously we won't get him but that type of strong physically dominating receiver). I think that all the players worth trading up to eleven for will be gone by that point so a move to the 16-20 sorta like last year seems a better idea to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X