Shoulda kept our pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigh!

NEITHER team got screwed by this trade! BOTH teams benefited.

The Skins wanted to package 2 #1st round picks in order to try and move up from their position at #9 into the top 4 where they would have a chance to draft Braylon Edwards. They are now contacting the top 4 teams in an effort to move up. That's why they made the trade. If they succeed their fans and the experts will be excited about the Skins making a move to get perhaps the most talented player in the entire draft.

If they fail, they still have 2 #1 picks and can draft a QB for the future in round 1 (if they want to -- "Aaron Rodgers come on down") and still get another top player.

AS for giving up 3 picks for 1, that's the equivalent draft pick value. A 1st round pick is worth MUCH more than a 2nd round or 4th round pick. And a #1 pick THIS year is obviously much better than a #1 pick NEXT year. So you have to give up more picks to make it come out even.

The draft values recieved by BOTH teams was about equal. That's why they made the trade.

The Broncos did well to trade down in this draft, because they believe that the talent available at #25 this year is not appreciably better than the players available at #56. So why pay #1st round prices for a player who's not better than the guy you can draft in the 2nd round?

They feel they can get decent talent in rounds #2 and #3 and that the team doesn't have any immediate needs.

Plus, Washington sucked last year and there's a hope they'll suck next year, so that the Broncos will get a top 10 draft pick. Personally I doubt the Redskins will lose more than 9 games next year, and probably will win 8-9, so a top 10 pick is probably NOT going to happen. But, it's still a good trade.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
      Sigh!

NEITHER team got screwed by this trade! BOTH teams benefited.

The Skins wanted to package 2 #1st round picks in order to try and move up from their position at #9 into the top 4 where they would have a chance to draft Braylon Edwards. They are now contacting the top 4 teams in an effort to move up. That's why they made the trade. If they succeed their fans and the experts will be excited about the Skins making a move to get perhaps the most talented player in the entire draft.

If they fail, they still have 2 #1 picks and can draft a QB for the future in round 1 (if they want to -- "Aaron Rodgers come on down") and still get another top player.

AS for giving up 3 picks for 1, that's the equivalent draft pick value. A 1st round pick is worth MUCH more than a 2nd round or 4th round pick. And a #1 pick THIS year is obviously much better than a #1 pick NEXT year. So you have to give up more picks to make it come out even.

The draft values recieved by BOTH teams was about equal. That's why they made the trade.

The Broncos did well to trade down in this draft, because they believe that the talent available at #25 this year is not appreciably better than the players available at #56. So why pay #1st round prices for a player who's not better than the guy you can draft in the 2nd round?

They feel they can get decent talent in rounds #2 and #3 and that the team doesn't have any immediate needs.

Plus, Washington sucked last year and there's a hope they'll suck next year, so that the Broncos will get a top 10 draft pick. Personally I doubt the Redskins will lose more than 9 games next year, and probably will win 8-9, so a top 10 pick is probably NOT going to happen. But, it's still a good trade.
      I don't agree with you but you make some interesting points. The value is not equal on anyone's draft boards. Also almost all experts talk about how the Skins overpaid for the pick. I agree with you that THE SKINS may feel that it is worth it because of the rumor about Edwards or because they see great value in pick 25. Obviously they would feel this way or they would be stupid to make the trade. But if the deal goes through for Edwards it was very expensive. They will have traded away their first rounder this year, next year, their third rounder this year, their fourth next year and this is if any of the teams will just accept the two firsts. To get up to 3 they may have to give up a second rounder as well. That is alot to pay for a WR. I just don't get it. I don't think that would be a wise investment. To do this they must have Edwards rated as Randy Moss type talent with stronger character. I just don't have him that high. He is the best in this class but I don't think he would have been the top guy picked at WR any of the last three years.

I do not agree that a pick this year is more valuable than a first rounder next year. That all depends on where the teams pick and the expected talent in the draft. I think recent past drafts have shown that alot of teams feel there is just about the same value in next years pick as there is in their current pick. I don't agree with you but I think you have brought a different view to this; which I appreciate. Good post.

Comment

Working...
      X