Now we have 9 cornerbacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now we have 9 cornerbacks?

Here are our corners minus one or two since I imagine they will convert a few to safety :

Champ Bailey
    Lenny Walls
    Willie Middlebrooks
    Roc Alexander
    Jeremy LeSueur
    Jeff Shoate
    Darrent Williams
    Karl Paymah
    Domonique Foxworth

Might Jeff Shoate and Roc get cut? Someone will have to go and I don't think it will be our new draft picks.

Comment

Originally posted by jletourneau
      Might Jeff Shoate and Roc get cut? Someone will have to go and I don't think it will be our new draft picks.
      Whoever sucks the worst after camp, will be gone.....regardless of who they are or when they were drafted.

I think the only safe bets are CB and Walls........
      "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
      tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
      men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

We are definately moving players to safety now. I think LeSueur will get the permanent shift to safety, possibly the long term solution to suceed Lynch. Middlebrooks might also move to his original FS position as well.

Comment

--- now we can rush 2 guys like the Patriots ( Bruski and McGinnest) and put 9 guys in pass protection --- az

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
          The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
          http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
          My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

Originally posted by jletourneau
            Do bears S#@t in the woods??
            The three Keys to football
            1. Turnovers
            2. Field Position
            3. Red Zone Play

Comment

Originally posted by Minuteman
              Here are our corners minus one or two since I imagine they will convert a few to safety :

Champ Bailey
              Lenny Walls
              Willie Middlebrooks
              Roc Alexander
              Jeremy LeSueur
              Jeff Shoate
              Darrent Williams
              Karl Paymah
              Domonique Foxworth

LeSueur or Middlebrooks to safety and Roc and Shoate to the Dove valley dumpsters.
              The three Keys to football
              1. Turnovers
              2. Field Position
              3. Red Zone Play

Comment

Champ and Lenny are for sure stays. I like the idea of moving Lesueur and Middlebrooks to Safety. They are both fast and tough. I think Roc is gone (Since last year against Indy) and Shoate will battle it out with the three new ones.
                9 minus Willie and Jeremy leaves seven. Champ and Lenny are for sure starters which leaves five more. I think that Shanny will release the worst one of the bunch after camp and everything. Taking this route also solves the need for more depth at Safety positions.
                I guess we'll see but this doesn't sound too bad this way.

Another Great Contribution by SNK16!

We're coming Indy!

Comment

I'd be suprised if Middlebrooks is on the team come Monday. His forner first round status means we could get an extra fifth or sixth round pick on him. He's maddingly inconistent and injury prone, and really can do no better in Denver. A change in scenery would be good for both parties. Shoate obviously was a realized mistake when he couldn't make the field during the Indy game. He will get a "shot" but won't last through camp. LaSueur is a safety now, guaranteed. Walls is on a one year deal and will have to improve or will not return. The secondary's lack of speed embarrassed Shanahan last year, obviously he doesn't want this to be repeated...

Comment

I was kinda hoping roc would get another shot to prove himself, he got it bad and you cant judge him on one bad game.

Comment

Originally posted by dman444
                      I was kinda hoping roc would get another shot to prove himself, he got it bad and you cant judge him on one bad game.

I really have to agree with you. I wish we could tell them to give him another chance after trying to cover Reggie Wayne last year. It just wasn't fair to him with a QB as accurate as Manning and a WR as quick and agile as Wayne. But I really do think that in the coaches minds they are looking for a replacement for him in this years draft.

Another Great Contribution by SNK16!

We're coming Indy!

Comment

Originally posted by NITROBOARD
                        I really have to agree with you. I wish we could tell them to give him another chance after trying to cover Reggie Wayne last year. It just wasn't fair to him with a QB as accurate as Manning and a WR as quick and agile as Wayne. But I really do think that in the coaches minds they are looking for a replacement for him in this years draft.
                        Roc's athleticism will buy him another chance on the practice squad, which is completely fair for the talent that he has shown. He must show better recognition skills and confidence if he wants to be anything more than a taxi teamer.

Comment

Originally posted by OhNoKoolAid
                          Roc's athleticism will buy him another chance on the practice squad, which is completely fair for the talent that he has shown. He must show better recognition skills and confidence if he wants to be anything more than a taxi teamer.
                          Frankly, I think any of the CB's the Broncos already have are at least equal if not superior to any of these draft picks.

Middlebrooks was playing very well prior to his injury and barring another injury or unforseen development he will be the nickle back come game 1. The coaches are pleased with him. No way he'll be traded before the season.

After seeing these horrendus draft picks, Middlebrooks looks a lot better to me.

The coaches were also quite positive about Roc Alexander's potential, he should never have been hung out to dry in the playoff game. You don't start rookies against Peyton Manning, but he was forced in there due to injuries to Walls & Middlebrooks. He'll get a look in camp. My own view is less favorable but I don't get a vote! I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Alexander make the team.

Jeremy LaSeur is another player whom the coaches like. He might get moved to safety. Personally I don't see anything special in him, but I would imagine he's still better than a 4'9" CB, I mean 5'8". . . .

As for Jeff Shoate, I think he's a scrub, but he'll have his chance during camp. Once again, the coaches have said nice things about him, so we'll see.

I think at least 1 of the three CB picks will not make the team. On the plus side, no-one else in the NFL thinks they're any good so they will easily clear waivers and be placed on the developmental squad.

I think Darrent Williams will never be anything other than a punt returner and special teams player. It's tough to carry a tiny player who only plays on special teams, but that's what Shanahan will have to do. That's a pretty bad thing to say about the #2 pick, but at 5'8" 176 lbs. he'll never be able to cover the bigger receivers in this division. We better hope this guy's another Dante Hall or this is a totally wasted pick.

Karl Paymah? WTF??? That's all I can say about this. I just have absolutely no idea what Shanahan was drinking. I'd give him the early nod to be cut, but it's tough to cut a 3rd round pick. It's too embarassing. So, it's the taxi squad for Paymuh until next season. Maybe he will learn enough to show something by then. We can only hope!

Some people like Foxworth. I don't know anything about him, so I'll reserve judgment. Perhaps he'll wind up being the dime back this season in place of Shoate or LaSeur. Perhaps that'll be an upgrade. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this guy will somewhat redeem this nightmare of a draft.

I mean Maurice Clarett?????! I cannot get over the utter uselessness of that pick!

Makes Ron Dayne look like the second coming of Walter Peyton!
                          At best a 4th string back we DON'T need!
                          Last edited by Cugel; 04-23-2005, 10:28 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                            Frankly, I think any of the CB's the Broncos already have are at least equal if not superior to any of these draft picks.

Middlebrooks was playing very well prior to his injury and barring another injury or unforseen development he will be the nickle back come game 1. The coaches are pleased with him. No way he'll be traded before the season.

After seeing these horrendus draft picks, Middlebrooks looks a lot better to me.

The coaches were also quite positive about Roc Alexander's potential, he should never have been hung out to dry in the playoff game. You don't start rookies against Peyton Manning, but he was forced in there due to injuries to Walls & Middlebrooks. He'll get a look in camp. My own view is less favorable but I don't get a vote! I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Alexander make the team.

Jeremy LaSeur is another player whom the coaches like. He might get moved to safety. Personally I don't see anything special in him, but I would imagine he's still better than a 4'9" CB, I mean 5'8". . . .

As for Jeff Shoate, I think he's a scrub, but he'll have his chance during camp. Once again, the coaches have said nice things about him, so we'll see.

I think at least 1 of the three CB picks will not make the team. On the plus side, no-one else in the NFL thinks they're any good so they will easily clear waivers and be placed on the developmental squad.

I think Darrent Williams will never be anything other than a punt returner and special teams player. It's tough to carry a tiny player who only plays on special teams, but that's what Shanahan will have to do. That's a pretty bad thing to say about the #2 pick, but at 5'8" 176 lbs. he'll never be able to cover the bigger receivers in this division. We better hope this guy's another Dante Hall or this is a totally wasted pick.

Karl Paymah? WTF??? That's all I can say about this. I just have absolutely no idea what Shanahan was drinking. I'd give him the early nod to be cut, but it's tough to cut a 3rd round pick. It's too embarassing. So, it's the taxi squad for Paymuh until next season. Maybe he will learn enough to show something by then. We can only hope!

Some people like Foxworth. I don't know anything about him, so I'll reserve judgment. Perhaps he'll wind up being the dime back this season in place of Shoate or LaSeur. Perhaps that'll be an upgrade. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this guy will somewhat redeem this nightmare of a draft.

I mean Maurice Clarett?????! I cannot get over the utter uselessness of that pick!

Makes Ron Dayne look like the second coming of Walter Peyton!
                            At best a 4th string back we DON'T need!
                            How often have you seen Darrent Williams play? what do you know about his approach to the game? What is your take on his Senior Bowl performance?

Come on, you need to take a day to cool off. Darrent Williams will be a quality nickel corner with the ability to start in spots, ala Dre Bly. For as much stink there is about big receivers and Williams height, nobody seems to realize that most all teams use receivers between the size of 5'9 and 6'1. Every team has a big receiver, but that is what Walls is for. Williams has the agility to stay with the speedy receivers in the league, and mirror their moves. He is a playmaker and a blazer, and according to scouts, he was the only corner to hold his own against Mark Clayton in the Senior Bowl. So unless you think that Clayton is nothing more than a number four, Darrent Williams has a place in the hands off league.

What about Middlebrooks has impressed you? His propensity for injuries? His lack of big plays? His inability to grasp the system and make an impact? Glimmers of hope this past season? Williams easily will beat out Middlebrooks for the nickel spot in games with speedy receivers, which are most of the teams on our schedule, if Middlebrooks is still on the roster.

Shoate is so respected by the coaches that they took three corners on day one, so congrats, you nailed that one.

Roc is an athlete that lacks a knowledge of the game's finer points. He is two years away from competing again for the dime back position.

Walls and Middlebrooks are playing out their contracts this year, corner just might have been an issue. You can play the pass rush card all you want (and it is an issue) but if your backs can't keep step down the field, it would take a dominant pass rush to help some of these guys. This team needs a change back there, lets try to welcome it.

Comment

Originally posted by OhNoKoolAid
                              How often have you seen Darrent Williams play? what do you know about his approach to the game? What is your take on his Senior Bowl performance?

Come on, you need to take a day to cool off. Darrent Williams will be a quality nickel corner with the ability to start in spots, ala Dre Bly. For as much stink there is about big receivers and Williams height, nobody seems to realize that most all teams use receivers between the size of 5'9 and 6'1. Every team has a big receiver, but that is what Walls is for. Williams has the agility to stay with the speedy receivers in the league, and mirror their moves. He is a playmaker and a blazer, and according to scouts, he was the only corner to hold his own against Mark Clayton in the Senior Bowl. So unless you think that Clayton is nothing more than a number four, Darrent Williams has a place in the hands off league.

What about Middlebrooks has impressed you? His propensity for injuries? His lack of big plays? His inability to grasp the system and make an impact? Glimmers of hope this past season? Williams easily will beat out Middlebrooks for the nickel spot in games with speedy receivers, which are most of the teams on our schedule, if Middlebrooks is still on the roster.

Shoate is so respected by the coaches that they took three corners on day one, so congrats, you nailed that one.

Roc is an athlete that lacks a knowledge of the game's finer points. He is two years away from competing again for the dime back position.

Walls and Middlebrooks are playing out their contracts this year, corner just might have been an issue. You can play the pass rush card all you want (and it is an issue) but if your backs can't keep step down the field, it would take a dominant pass rush to help some of these guys. This team needs a change back there, lets try to welcome it.
                              Darrant Williams will NOT be a quality nickel QB. He is 5'8". He simply can't cover the taller WRs which offenses will exploit him with. He is strictly a special teams guy and he will go in on sub packages to cover the tiny slot WRs when we play a team that still has those types of players. Williams can't cover Vincent Jackson, he can't cover Curry, he should be able to cover Dante Hall at least. He won't be in the game in red zone opportunities unless he's blitzing.

I think the 2nd round was one hell of a stupid reach for a player that is restricted to special teams and covering the small, quick slot WRs. And that's ALL Williams can be expected to do due to his physical limitations at CB.

Willie Middlebrooks played like a 1st round draft pick last season. It may have taken him 4 years, but at least he's there now. Not one of these guys will beat him out for the nickel back unless he's moved to safety. Sometimes there's a learning curve in the league, it took Willie awhile, but athletically he is a gifted man.

Foxworth and Paymah have measureables. Foxworth also possesses some serious talent. I'm fine with him in the 3rd, thought that was an outstanding pick. Paymah is a boom or bust type which will probably take several years to develop. He's more the type of player that should have been drafted at 101.

But the main reason this draft was so horrific is not due to the talent of the players we got, it's due to the talent of the players we LEFT on the board. There were STEALS at every pick. We passed them by. That was the absolute worst value draft I've ever seen. Even if these guys become good players, we still could have gotten them a pick later and just bumped Clarrett off all together.

Ludicrous and pathetic draft. I was on record as saying there is no way Denver can blow this draft, there were simply too many good players to pick. I stand corrected.

Comment

Working...
                              X