No announcement yet.

The draft we could have had

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did we not get Adrian Mcphearson? What is shanahan thinking, we have got kanel, kanneeeelllllllll as the backup. If jake gets hurt and we suck, shanahan should go. I mean how many time are you going to ignore one of the most pressing issues of the team

Comment

Paradox

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
      The "coach" is welcome. The "GM" is not.
      __________________________________________________ _______________

No friggin doubt about it, LMAO

Comment

Shanahan is not ignoring the back up QB. He got Mauck and Van Pelt last year, and the kid out of the School of Mines this year. He is looking for cheap back ups. Evidently, MacPherson doesn't fill the bill for the talent, character, or leadership that Mike wants so why waste a pick on someone that Mike already feels doesn't fit for what ever reason. Shanahan has coached this offense for several years. He has a pretty good idea of what is required to run it.

Don't brign up Greise. Brian Greise the last two years because of injury, drinking, poor leadership, or whatever the reason might have been was not the same QB that played for us the first two years. He lost range on his throws, had trouble getting along with his team mates, and became completely immobil in the pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by cheach
          How did we not get Adrian Mcphearson? What is shanahan thinking, we have got kanel, kanneeeelllllllll as the backup. If jake gets hurt and we suck, shanahan should go. I mean how many time are you going to ignore one of the most pressing issues of the team

Adrain is going to be a 3 year project at best, if Jake went down we'd have seen Danny or what ever Backup QB we pick up this year.

The pressing issue was getting young DE, DT that will be around after the Browns rent-a-Dline is gone.

Get over the love affair with this MCfearson. He is not gonna see major playing time in the next couple of years.

Comment

The draft we had:

56 - Darrent Williams
            76 - Karl Paymah
            97 - Domonique Foxworth
            101 - Maurice Clarett
            200 - Kris Myers
            239 - Paul Ernster

Get used to it.
            From "The Ghost Breakers" (1940):

Geoff (Richard Carlson): “When a person dies and is buried, it seems there’s certain voodoo priests who have the power to bring him back to life.”
            Mary (Paulette Goddard): “How horrible.”
            Geoff: “It’s worse than horrible because a zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes, walking around blindly with dead eyes, following orders, not knowing what they do, not caring.”
            Larry (Bob Hope): “You mean like Democrats?”

Comment

[QUOTE=dannyrbrown]The draft we had:

56 - Darrent Williams
              76 - Karl Paymah
              97 - Domonique Foxworth
              101 - Maurice Clarett
              200 - Kris Myers
              239 - Paul Ernster

Get used to it.[/QUOTE
              __________________________________________________ _____________

I'll get used to it, just like I'll get used to a bar of soap for breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by Superchop7

I'll get used to it, just like I'll get used to a bar of soap for breakfast.
                Doesn't that taste bad?

I recommend cereal and milk. Fast and healthy if you choose the right brand.

Comment

Originally posted by mr williams52
                  here is the draft that the broncos should have had today with everyone that was available with our picks

# 56- vincent jackson

# 76- evin mathis

# 97- chris canty

# 101- ciatrick fason

Did these guys make the teams that drafted them? Are they starting and going to the hall of Fame? Until the players there WERE drafted hit the field this Monday morning QB'ing is a joke. The Broncocs traded their first round pick because they felt that at 25 there was no one they could draft who would be able to start this year. So now they have two first round picks next year plus whatever compensations picks they might get for losing free agents. Maybe just maybe they are actually looking ahead to next years draft with the thought of stock piling picks and making a trade up?

I will say this that I would have prefered to see the Broncos draft O.J. Atogwe at saftey with their first pick as I think there is a need for safties on this team but again until these guys prove themselves in the pros it's pretty hard to rip a draft. I don't think that their draft has been all that bad over the past few years now has it?

Comment

Originally posted by LoufromLItt.
                    I too have had it with shanny, BTW I did not like the browns trade either.
                    Shanny's been my whipping boy since the '02 season. I love my Broncos but I've had enough of Shanahan...™
                    This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by DDP32
                      I don't think that their draft has been all that bad over the past few years now has it?
                      Oh?

Let's take a look at the past 5 Broncos drafts and you judge for yourself. There have been a few hits, a lot more misses. Compare to the Patriots who seem to get use out of almost all their picks, despite picking at the bottom of every round the last few years!

1998: Complete Bust Draft - Grade F. Possibly the Worst in Broncos History!
                      Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
                      1 30 Marcus Nash WR
                      2 61 Eric Brown SS
                      3 91 Brian Griese QB
                      4 122 Curtis Alexander RB
                      5 153 Chris Howard RB
                      7 200 Trey Teague C
                      7 219 Nate Wayne OLB

1999: Amost Complete Bust Grade: C- Draft redeemed only by Al Wilson. 2 out of 7 is NOT good. Olandis Gary did well for a season, but was traded.
                      Rd Sel# Player Pos. l
                      1 31 Al Wilson MLB
                      2 58 Montae Reagor DT
                      2 61 Lennie Friedman C
                      3 67 Chris Watson CB
                      3 93 Travis McGriff WR
                      4 127 Olandis Gary RB
                      5 158 David Bowens DE
                      5 167 Darwin Brown CB
                      6 179 Desmond Clark TE
                      6 204 Chad Plummer WR
                      7 218 Billy Miller TE
                      7 238 Justin Swift TE

2000: Decent Draft. B Grade. Deltha was a big disappointment at #1, but Ian Gold and Cooper Carlisle are now valuable players with the team. Mike Anderson was another RB steal in the 6th round. Kennedy played well for a few years and was a starter before leaving via FA.
                      Rd Sel# Player Pos.
                      1 15 Deltha O'Neal CB
                      2 40 Ian Gold OLB Michigan
                      2 45 Kenoy Kennedy SS Arkansas
                      3 70 Chris Cole WR Texas A&M
                      4 101 Jerry Johnson DT Florida State
                      4 112 Cooper Carlisle G Florida
                      5 154 Muneer Moore WR Richmond
                      6 189 Mike Anderson FB Utah
                      7 214 Jarious Jackson QB Notre Dame
                      7 246 Leroy Fields WR Jackson State

2001: Grade D-. Almost a complete disaster! Middlebrooks was a wasted pick at #1, he's a career backup at best (he might not last past this season). Toviessi never played a down and was a wasted pick. Hayward blossomed into a good pash rusher for 1 season, then he left as a FA. Almost as bad as '98. Ben Hamilton saves this from being an F.
                      Rd Sel# Player Pos.
                      1 24 Willie Middlebrooks CB
                      2 51 Paul Toviessi DE
                      3 87 Reggie Hayward DE
                      4 113 Ben Hamilton G
                      4 120 Nick Harris P
                      6 190 Kevin Kasper WR

2002: Decent draft. Grade: C+/B- Lelie has become a starter. Portis was good and got us Champ Baiiley. Davis has done nothing due to injury. He must produce this year or goodbye. Brandon has been a decent, but not great safety. Putzier has a big contract and must justify the coaches faith in him this season. Pope may make the team or not. Jury's still out on this draft.
                      Rd Sel# Player Pos.
                      1 19 Ashley Lelie WR
                      2 51 Clinton Portis RB
                      3 96 Dorsett Davis DT
                      4 131 Sam Brandon FS
                      5 144 Herb Haygood WR
                      6 191 Jeb Putzier TE
                      7 228 Chris Young SS
                      7 231 Monsanto Pope DT

2003: Another Bad Draft: C-/D+. Foster's a starter at RT. Coaches paid $23million to bring back Ian Gold what does that say about Pierce? Griffith could be the backup or he could be gone. Rest are trash.
                      1 20 George Foster T
                      2 51 Terry Pierce OLB
                      4 108 Quentin Griffin RB
                      4 114 Nick Eason DT
                      4 128 Bryant McNeal DE
                      5 157 Ben Claxton C
                      5 158 Adrian Madise WR
                      6 194 Aaron Hunt DE
                      7 227 Clint Mitchell DE
                      7 235 Ahmaad Galloway RB

2004: Too early to tell. Grade so far: C. DJ's been great. Bell is a projected starter, we'll see. Watts could become a #3 WR, but was a big reach. So far he drops way too many passes. Rest look like scrubs. Will VanPelt or Mauck ever backup Plummer? Shanahan's desparate courtship of Jeff Garcia says he's not confident. Right now they look alot like Jarious Jackson Pt. II - career benchwarmers.
                      Rd Sel# Player Pos.
                      1 17 D.J. Williams OLB
                      2 41 Tatum Bell RB
                      2 54 Darius Watts WR
                      3 85 Jeremy LeSueur DB
                      5 152 Jeff Shoate CB
                      6 171 Triandos Luke WR
                      6 190 Josh Sewell C
                      7 225 Matt Mauck QB
                      7 247 Brandon Miree RB
                      7 250 Bradlee Van Pelt QB

Overall, not one A or A- draft or even a solid B+ in the bunch. 2000 was the best, and Shanny still missed on his #1 pick that year!
                      Last edited by Cugel; 04-26-2005, 11:22 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

The players we picked with the exception of Clarett slipped through the cracks as far as the so called experts go, but overall I think we had a good draft.

I liked Justin Miller but Williams is a PLAYMAKER! Dangerous every time he gets his hands on the ball. We might actually have decent field position this year after punts and kick offs!

Paymah has skills that should make him a better pro than college player.

Foxworth will possibly move to safety. We still need to replace and back up
                        Kennedy.

Clarett - risky. I would have passed, but I hope I am wrong.

Myers is a great value pick, because of his versatility.

Ernster will be a huge asset if he can keep up his college averages.

I am sure the additonal 1st round pick will be huge next year, but I think we missed good value by losing: 26Chris Spencer, 30 Brodney Pool, 40 Josh Bullocks, and possibly 25 Jason Campbell.

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                          Oh?

Let's take a look at the past 5 Broncos drafts and you judge for yourself. There have been a few hits, a lot more misses. Compare to the Patriots who seem to get use out of almost all their picks, despite picking at the bottom of every round the last few years!

1 30 Marcus Nash WR
                          2 61 Eric Brown SS
                          3 91 Brian Griese QB
                          5 153 Chris Howard RB
                          7 200 Trey Teague C
                          7 219 Nate Wayne OLB

1999: Amost Complete Bust Grade: C- Draft redeemed only by Al Wilson. 2 out of 7 is NOT good. Olandis Gary did well for a season, but was traded.
                          Rd Sel# Player Pos. l
                          1 31 Al Wilson MLB
                          2 58 Montae Reagor DT
                          2 61 Lennie Friedman C
                          3 67 Chris Watson CB
                          3 93 Travis McGriff WR
                          4 127 Olandis Gary RB
                          5 158 David Bowens DE
                          5 167 Darwin Brown CB
                          6 179 Desmond Clark TE
                          6 204 Chad Plummer WR
                          7 218 Billy Miller TE 7 238 Justin Swift TE

2000: Decent Draft. B Grade. Deltha was a big disappointment at #1, but Ian Gold and Cooper Carlisle are now valuable players with the team. Mike Anderson was another RB steal in the 6th round. Kennedy played well for a few years and was a starter before leaving via FA.
                          Rd Sel# Player Pos.
                          1 15 Deltha O'Neal CB

2001: Grade D-. Almost a complete disaster! Middlebrooks was a wasted pick at #1, he's a career backup at best (he might not last past this season). Toviessi never played a down and was a wasted pick. Hayward blossomed into a good pash rusher for 1 season, then he left as a FA. Almost as bad as '98. Ben Hamilton saves this from being an F.
                          Rd Sel# Player Pos.
                          2 51 Paul Toviessi DE
                          3 87 Reggie Hayward DE
                          4 113 Ben Hamilton G
                          4 120 Nick Harris P
                          6 190 Kevin Kasper WR

2002: Decent draft. Grade: C+/B- Lelie has become a starter. Portis was good and got us Champ Baiiley. Davis has done nothing due to injury. He must produce this year or goodbye. Brandon has been a decent, but not great safety. Putzier has a big contract and must justify the coaches faith in him this season. Pope may make the team or not. Jury's still out on this draft.
                          Rd Sel# Player Pos.
                          1 19 Ashley Lelie WR
                          2 51 Clinton Portis RB
                          3 96 Dorsett Davis DT
                          4 131 Sam Brandon FS
                          5 144 Herb Haygood WR
                          6 191 Jeb Putzier TE
                          7 228 Chris Young SS
                          7 231 Monsanto Pope DT

2003: Another Bad Draft: C-/D+. Foster's a starter at RT. Coaches paid $23million to bring back Ian Gold what does that say about Pierce? Griffith could be the backup or he could be gone. Rest are trash.
                          1 20 George Foster T
                          2 51 Terry Pierce OLB
                          4 108 Quentin Griffin RB
                          4 114 Nick Eason DT
                          4 128 Bryant McNeal DE
                          5 157 Ben Claxton C
                          5 158 Adrian Madise WR
                          6 194 Aaron Hunt DE
                          7 227 Clint Mitchell DE
                          7 235 Ahmaad Galloway RB
                          2004: Too early to tell. Grade so far: C. DJ's been great. Bell is a projected starter, we'll see. Watts could become a #3 WR, but was a big reach. So far he drops way too many passes. Rest look like scrubs. Will VanPelt or Mauck ever backup Plummer? Shanahan's desparate courtship of Jeff Garcia says he's not confident. Right now they look alot like Jarious Jackson Pt. II - career benchwarmers.
                          Rd Sel# Player Pos.
                          1 17 D.J. Williams OLB
                          2 41 Tatum Bell RB
                          2 54 Darius Watts WR
                          3 85 Jeremy LeSueur DB
                          5 152 Jeff Shoate CB
                          6 171 Triandos Luke WR
                          6 190 Josh Sewell C
                          7 225 Matt Mauck QB
                          7 247 Brandon Miree RB

Overall, not one A or A- draft or even a solid B+ in the bunch. 2000 was the best, and Shanny still missed on his #1 pick that year!
                          Good job. With the exceptions of the hi-lited players that have moved on to other NFL teams and usually become starters.

Reagor was the only one that we perhaps should have kept but at the time he was traded we had a bunch of DL type folks.

I have been very vocal with the DAFT by Mikey, glad to see that there are a couple of others that think he personnel decisions are not that of a MASTERMIND.

When 65% of the current team are made up of someones elses rejects, that in its self says something about the DRAFT process.

Or in Denvers case I can hardly wait to waste those two Number ONES in the 2006 DAFT.

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                            Oh?

1 30 Marcus Nash WR
                            2 61 Eric Brown SS
                            3 91 Brian Griese QB
                            5 153 Chris Howard RB
                            7 200 Trey Teague C
                            7 219 Nate Wayne OLB

Rd Sel# Player Pos. l
                            1 31 Al Wilson MLB
                            2 58 Montae Reagor DT
                            2 61 Lennie Friedman C
                            3 67 Chris Watson CB
                            3 93 Travis McGriff WR
                            4 127 Olandis Gary RB
                            5 158 David Bowens DE
                            5 167 Darwin Brown CB
                            6 179 Desmond Clark TE
                            6 204 Chad Plummer WR
                            7 218 Billy Miller TE
                            7 238 Justin Swift TE

Rd Sel# Player Pos.
                            1 15 Deltha O'Neal CB

Rd Sel# Player Pos.
                            2 51 Paul Toviessi DE
                            3 87 Reggie Hayward DE
                            4 113 Ben Hamilton G
                            4 120 Nick Harris P
                            6 190 Kevin Kasper WR

Rd Sel# Player Pos.
                            1 19 Ashley Lelie WR
                            2 51 Clinton Portis RB
                            3 96 Dorsett Davis DT
                            4 131 Sam Brandon FS
                            5 144 Herb Haygood WR
                            6 191 Jeb Putzier TE
                            7 228 Chris Young SS
                            7 231 Monsanto Pope DT

1 20 George Foster T
                            2 51 Terry Pierce OLB
                            4 108 Quentin Griffin RB
                            4 114 Nick Eason DT
                            4 128 Bryant McNeal DE
                            5 157 Ben Claxton C
                            5 158 Adrian Madise WR
                            6 194 Aaron Hunt DE
                            7 227 Clint Mitchell DE
                            7 235 Ahmaad Galloway RB

Rd Sel# Player Pos.
                            1 17 D.J. Williams OLB
                            2 41 Tatum Bell RB
                            2 54 Darius Watts WR
                            3 85 Jeremy LeSueur DB
                            5 152 Jeff Shoate CB
                            6 171 Triandos Luke WR
                            6 190 Josh Sewell C
                            7 225 Matt Mauck QB
                            7 247 Brandon Miree RB

It is ridiculous to look at how few of these players are still on our team. Very poor drafting on our side. If you want to have fun take a look at the Eagles, Patriots, and Ravens just to compare. I would have posted but it would have taken a couple of pages. The point is that we were skunked in the draft and this year we did not narrow the gap.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung
                              It is ridiculous to look at how few of these players are still on our team. Very poor drafting on our side. If you want to have fun take a look at the Eagles, Patriots, and Ravens just to compare. I would have posted but it would have taken a couple of pages. The point is that we were skunked in the draft and this year we did not narrow the gap.

There were a few in there that you didn't give enough credit but very good point. I never realized we had so many scrubs in those drafts. Like I said I do think a few in there were better than you give them credit but a lot of wasted picks too. And I noticed there were hardly any lineman in the last couple of drafts which is not good. With the two firsts next year we better improve on the picks and not waste those as well. That would be the worst draft to screw up, we have a lot of picks.

Another Great Contribution by SNK16!

We're coming Indy!

Comment

And people wonder why I'm losing a TV set per draft. (throwing bricks at the damn screen)

Comment

Working...
                                X