Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My draft grade, and I will break down our picks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My draft grade, and I will break down our picks.

But I don't know how you see the Broncos having such a terrible draft. Darrent Williams is a beast on special teams, he is a GREAT return man. He's the only reason Denver drafted him, plus, he can keep up with fast receivers like Dante Hall when we play them.

Karl Paymah will make a great safety if the Broncos just use him for that position. He has good size, good frame, and great speed. The talk about him was his ability to cover, I liked this pick also.

Domonique Foxworth was a baddish pick. I saw highlights on him and he looked pretty good, but still. I don't think this was that great of a pick.

Clarett was a great pick IMO, he is the typical Denver back. Powerful, workhorse, semi speedy(Shut up about the combine times, since when did a combine judge the type of player they are on the field. If I remember correctly, Jerry Rice had a horrible combine. And Terrell Davis ran a 4.8) he makes one cut and hits the hole really explosivly. I believe if he just gets a feel for football again, he could have been the best pick of the draft.

Chris Myers was a great pick, he's so under rated. With Nalen hitting the end of his career, Hamilton will give the ball to Jake after Nalens gone, and Myers will be the perfect replacment for Hamilton. We addressed a need here, and the only reason he fell so far was because he's small for an offensive linemen, and keep in mind that all of Denvers linemen are under sized.

The punter I have no clue about.

And the Broncos signed UDFA Brandon Browner, who was projected to be a 2nd round pick, he's a 6'3 and a half corner, has decent speed and has great instincts.

Broncos also signed a QB from Colorado, a tackle, and Wesley Duke out of Mercer, he's 6'5, 230lbs, a TE. And SDs ex-TE coach who is now Denvers TE coach said that he can turn this kid into Antonio Gates.

So i'd give the Broncos draft a B+?
    sigpic

Originally posted by DBFan4Lyfe
    So i'd give our draft a B+?
    Are you sure about that B+? Or not?

THis punter we drafted is a NAVY Seals and Hacker........http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~pte/cs112/CS112.html
    Last edited by Snk16; 04-25-2005, 08:17 PM.

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
    2. Taxes
    3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

I liked the breakdown Db well said. I wish we cut foxworth and keep browner he sounds pretty impressive.
      Darrent Williams #27 R.I.P

Comment

Ummm....Foxworth is the best CB we drafted.

He was projected to be a 1st round pick before he had an average season in 2004. Still, he's extremely intelligent and was a steal in the late 3rd.

Burning a 2nd round pick on a special teams player is ridiculous. We arent "that" close to a Superbowl where we can afford to do such things.

Paymah is the questionable pick. He has size and speed, but can he play? We shall see.

I'm actually fine with the Clarett pick. Why not. It's makes things interesting. I wouldn't have drafted him, but oh well.

Im fine with Myers and the P/K guy as well. Thought those were good picks.

Most of the picks are okay, it's just we passed on some outstanding talent to pick up players that we didn't truly need. 3 CBs was a bit silly. We did this last draft by choosing a LB over D-line and we got destroyed by certain teams because we could not generate a pass rush.

This season, the problem will be D-line once again. I'm not drinking the kool-aid, I don't think we have great pass rushers and the ones that do show up will be gone next season. By completely ignoring D-line, it means we will be depending on rookies next season or old veterans and that is just bad.

Comment

*sigh* He has Williams is going to have a shot at the nickelback slot.

Who cares if he's 5'8 or 5'9 -- his athleticism, vertical and physical(ness) on the field more than compensate for his small size.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncology
            *sigh* He has Williams is going to have a shot at the nickelback slot.

Who cares if he's 5'8 or 5'9 -- his athleticism, vertical and physical(ness) on the field more than compensate for his small size.

We shall see my friend. I do not share your optimism concerning the 5'8" Williams.

I have hopes for Foxworth as a CB though.

Comment

If we're going to convert one of our new CB's to safety, it needs to be Browner instead of Paymah.

I agree that Paymah was a reach, especially because of the players we passed on with the pick, but we still need to give him a chance. None of us are really expecting much, so he could surprise us.

Browner needs some work if he'll move to safety, due to different coverages, but he is a player when you get him on the field. Very talented player, I still cannot believe he wasn't drafted at all. It's hard to believe his 40 time hurt him that badly.

I think Foxworth will make some fans very happy. I expect him to be solid at worst. He has great experience, starting since his freshman season and I think he and Paymah and Williams will if nothing else raise the level of competition among all the DB's.

I believe all of them are upgrades over R. Alexander and Shoate. I could see our DB's shaking out as such.

Champ Bailey
              Lenny Walls
              Darrent Williams
              Domonique Foxworth
              Willie Middlebrooks
              Karl Paymah
              John Lynch
              Nick Ferguson
              Jeremy LeSeuer
              Chris Young

I wouldn't normally assume 10 would be kept, but with unproven players and the injuries last year it would not surprise me. Especially because I believe Walls will be gone next year and Shanny and Co. will try to let the new guys battle it out to see who will fulfill some potential. My bet is that D. Foxworth starts in place of the departed Walls after next season.

Practice Squad= B. Browner, R. Alexander - because the number allowed has been increased.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan

He was projected to be a 1st round pick before he had an average season in 2004. Still, he's extremely intelligent and was a steal in the late 3rd.

Burning a 2nd round pick on a special teams player is ridiculous. We arent "that" close to a Superbowl where we can afford to do such things.

Paymah is the questionable pick. He has size and speed, but can he play? We shall see.

I'm actually fine with the Clarett pick. Why not. It's makes things interesting. I wouldn't have drafted him, but oh well.

Most of the picks are okay, it's just we passed on some outstanding talent to pick up players that we didn't truly need. 3 CBs was a bit silly. We did this last draft by choosing a LB over D-line and we got destroyed by certain teams because we could not generate a pass rush.

This season, the problem will be D-line once again. I'm not drinking the kool-aid, I don't think we have great pass rushers and the ones that do show up will be gone next season. By completely ignoring D-line, it means we will be depending on rookies next season or old veterans and that is just bad.
                Well said man . Foxworth is tbe best "cover corner" of the three . I think paymah may get a shot at playing wr and darrent is primarily a special teams guy. good post .
                Only a fool allows another's opinion to anger him to the point of hurling insults.

Comment

burning a second rnd pick on a special team guy? I USSUALLY DONT FIND MUCH TO DISAGREE WITH YOU ON (sorryfor the caps)
                  but that is ridiculous , where have you been? we have our #1 wr returning punts, if this guy is as good a return guy as they think , that is an imediat improvement on a special team that has been terrible, field position is crucial and we have sucked at getting it
                  sigpic
                  when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

I recall a certain Dante Hall returning a kickoff to beat us...and a number of other teams.....you know winning games is what its about . If we get 4 returns out of this kid, it could be a couple wins.

Comment

Ahh yes, but we could have taken Antonio Perkins with pick 101 instead of Clarett. He is a better CB then Williams and just as talented as a punt returner.

My point was that you can get a return guy with blazing speed on day 2 of the draft.

Comment

Ahh yes, but we could have taken Antonio Perkins with pick 101 instead of Clarett. He is a better CB then Williams and just as talented as a punt returner.

My point was that you can get a return guy with blazing speed on day 2 of the draft.
                        "and just as talented "?????? Perkins happens to hold the RECORD for returns for td's.......
                        ...and I seem to remember a certain OU/OSU game where Williams coughed up a fumble, leading to a td for OU.

I would rather they had drafted Perkins.........
                        "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                        tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                        men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Perkins has a serious knee injury, genius

Comment

i still dont understand why we drafted 3 CB's because it has made our secondary really crowded, meaning there will be a lot of guys that dont make it, unless their 2 picks last year leseur and shoate were that bad, it seems weird to spend 5 picks in the last 2 years on CB's, even if we are moving some guys to safety, because at safety we already have 2 starters + brandon and young, if we move guys to safety, we'll be cutting those guys as well

and darnell williams looks a player, but a returner in the 2nd round? we werent the only one to do that (roscoe parrish went in the 2nd as well) but it seems too high for a guy that will be 1 dimensional until he developes as a CB and with his size, its questionable and he might have been available at our 1st 3rd rounder as well, so i dont see why we picked him there because it seems like a reach

the paymah pick is not that great either, that kid ran quick at the combine, but i heard he doesnt play that fast

dominique foxworth has better size and runs a decent 40, but at a low 3rd rounder, he's got the physicals to be decent

clarett at the bottom of the 3rd isnt that bad, hes a player but it is still a bit of a reach, he was going to be there at the 4th

the saving grace for our draft was the 2nd day, we only had 2 picks and we made them good, chris myers + paul ernest are good picks
                            Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
                            http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

I adopt Erica Weston

Comment

Time will tell

I rather have more than enough defensive backs then none at all seeing that even with champ bailey we still didn't get a lot of interceptions last year . With all these defensive backs and defensive linemen hopefully we should find the right combination of players to put enough pressure on the qb and which inturn would create enough opportunities for turnovers. Training camp will be very interesting and i think more bronco fans will be watching this year's preseason games then prior years just to see how denver's new acquistions will do.
                              Bronco fan 33 years and counting, GO BRONCOS!

Comment

Working...
                              X