Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wesley Duke - info from a Mercer student

Hi.
    I go to Mercer and have watched Wes play over the last six years. I'm excited that he's been signed to play NFL football.

Duke's hands are below average. While he is excellent at pulling down boards, he doesn't do well catching passes, and he is a liability moving the ball on the floor. I'm not sure that that translates into ball-catching skills.

He is in better shape than any receiver or tight end that I've ever seen. He's a brick wall, not an ounce of fat on him. I don't really know how much more muscle he can put on his frame.

The ACL injuries haven't affected his leaping ability (which is the best that I've ever seen), but we didn't really get to see him cut they way he would in and out of routes in the NFL.

Most of Wesley's points came from putbacks and alley-oops. He wasn't really a post-up player for us, so I don't know how well he'd serve in that capacity in the red zone.

While I do want to see him succeed, I think there are probably different basketball players who's skills translate better to the NFL than Wes's.

Originally posted by 311Bud
    Hi.
    I go to Mercer and have watched Wes play over the last six years. I'm excited that he's been signed to play NFL football.

Duke's hands are below average. While he is excellent at pulling down boards, he doesn't do well catching passes, and he is a liability moving the ball on the floor. I'm not sure that that translates into ball-catching skills.

He is in better shape than any receiver or tight end that I've ever seen. He's a brick wall, not an ounce of fat on him. I don't really know how much more muscle he can put on his frame.

The ACL injuries haven't affected his leaping ability (which is the best that I've ever seen), but we didn't really get to see him cut they way he would in and out of routes in the NFL.

Most of Wesley's points came from putbacks and alley-oops. He wasn't really a post-up player for us, so I don't know how well he'd serve in that capacity in the red zone.

While I do want to see him succeed, I think there are probably different basketball players who's skills translate better to the NFL than Wes's.
    Thanks for the info. He's obviously a project player and will be a pleasant surprise if he works out. If he doesn't, then no harm done.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Hi.

haha....Thats terrible news!!!!!!

Comment

While he is excellent at pulling down boards, he doesn't do well catching passes.
        That's ridiculous. I've been at Mercer for a long time, and I can assure you he does NOT have a problem with catching passes.

You did mention one thing, that he's good at put backs and alley oops and you don't know how that will translate in the redzone?

Well think about it, an alley oop is a passed ball very high in the air that Duke catches in a lot of traffic and slams down hard. Change the basketball to a football and don't make him slam dunk it and you got a TD in traffic.

I really hope they sign him, I see so much potential from what I've seen over the years.

Comment

As a project there are going to be things to work on but I think that Duke is the kind of athlete that can do what he has to do to get better. Plus I doubt we would have picked him if he had problems catching anything.
          BRONCOS fan is in my blood!
          IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/vannote/cutlersig.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by MU Bear 84
            That's ridiculous. I've been at Mercer for a long time, and I can assure you he does NOT have a problem with catching passes.

You did mention one thing, that he's good at put backs and alley oops and you don't know how that will translate in the redzone?

Well think about it, an alley oop is a passed ball very high in the air that Duke catches in a lot of traffic and slams down hard. Change the basketball to a football and don't make him slam dunk it and you got a TD in traffic.

I really hope they sign him, I see so much potential from what I've seen over the years.
            I got your back on this, and if he was really that bad, then shanny wouldnt be taking the risk! Good post Bear!

Comment

Working...
            X