Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darrent Williams and Field Positon

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Darrent Williams and Field Positon

    How big an impact can Williams make in the return game? Consider this: The Broncos last season had 53 kickoff returns, 43 punt returns and 17 fair catches. That's 113 touches - three more than Rod Smith (79 catches) and Darius Watts (31) combined for in the passing game. ... Jim Armstrong


    Does anyone have stats. on our average starting field position, compared to other NFL teams in 2004?

  • #2
    Originally posted by DURANGO BRONCO
    How big an impact can Williams make in the return game? Consider this: The Broncos last season had 53 kickoff returns, 43 punt returns and 17 fair catches. That's 113 touches - three more than Rod Smith (79 catches) and Darius Watts (31) combined for in the passing game. ... Jim Armstrong


    Does anyone have stats. on our average starting field position, compared to other NFL teams in 2004?
    It couldn't have been good.

    Half of the battle is field position. Not to pimp Martyball, by any means, but in our case, we have a pretty good long range field goal kicker still and if the offense could cut out some of the self defeating type plays, coupled with good starting field position on a regular basis, the offense could go from being productive, to being prolific.
    Originally posted by boltzpride619
    What's so funny is seeing all this mess that the Donks and the fans have placed on themselves. Can you say Raiders.

    Originally posted by RunByDesign
    True comedy is observing the Self Imploding Organization that is the Raiders and then asking yourself this question:

    What separates them (Raiders) from us (Chargers)

    Answer: Championships.

    Comment


    • #3
      with a decent D
      if you put a team back at their own 20, it makes it tough for them to drive down the field, whereas if you get to start at midfield, you've got a chance of going all the way for 6
      Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
      http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

      I adopt Erica Weston

      Comment


      • #4
        Me and some of the other guys here have been stressing for over a year we need better Special Teams play and more turn overs. Those two things will win a team two or three games a season.
        John 11: 25-27

        My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



        Thanks Snk16

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DURANGO BRONCO
          Does anyone have stats. on our average starting field position, compared to other NFL teams in 2004?
          I was going to "code" this up so that I could post it, but that's too much work.

          Check the .txt attachment instead.

          Basically, we were 29th last year in Average Starting Position. 29th Offensively, 29th Defensively, and 29th Net (Off. minus Def.)

          29th = not good
          Winter is Coming!

          Comment


          • #6
            This brings credence to drafting Williams and Ernster. Lets hope the two of them can make a difference. The additional speed of Paymah and Foxworth should also help in covering punts and kick offs.

            Comment


            • #7
              I thought one of our biggest needs was special teams and with the drafting of Darrent and the other speedsters, plus the signing of Burns we did a pretty good job filling that need.
              BRONCOS fan is in my blood!
              IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/vannote/cutlersig.jpg[/IMG]

              Comment


              • #8
                Our Defense and Offense were top 5 last year. Finishing 29th in avg. field position only means that we were horrid on special teams. These facts make our draft even more sensible

                I attended the San Diego game and suffered all day watching the Broncos pinned down deep, time after time.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I had heard from the very beginning of the offseason that Shanahan was interested in drafting a guy who could make a difference on Special Teams as a return man, hopefully Darrent Williams can fill that need for us.
                  Last edited by TXBRONC; 04-28-2005, 01:25 PM.
                  John 11: 25-27

                  My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



                  Thanks Snk16

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bornbroncofan
                    I thought one of our biggest needs was special teams and with the drafting of Darrent and the other speedsters, plus the signing of Burns we did a pretty good job filling that need.
                    Yea... both sides of the ball was pretty ugly.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Glad we finally got that in hard copy, it's hard to believe soooooo many people are pissed that we passed up another WR for a return specialist.

                      I love the pick , lets hope he stays healthy and gets it done.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Perry1977
                        Glad we finally got that in hard copy, it's hard to believe soooooo many people are pissed that we passed up another WR for a return specialist.

                        I love the pick , lets hope he stays healthy and gets it done.
                        I should've given a link. I got the stats from Football Outsiders.

                        http://www.footballoutsiders.com/methods.php

                        Under the "Just the Stats" menu.

                        Lots of good stuff there, however, I'm not a big fan of unsortable statistics.
                        Winter is Coming!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          i honestly think that it was a great decision to get dj, he will give us an even more deadly secondary, and he does pretty well on runbacks. so he will help our special teams a lot which could change the outcomes of so many games.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by thehorsesmouth
                            i honestly think that it was a great decision to get dj, he will give us an even more deadly secondary, and he does pretty well on runbacks. so he will help our special teams a lot which could change the outcomes of so many games.
                            DJ is a linebacker my man.
                            John 11: 25-27

                            My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



                            Thanks Snk16

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It finally makes sense why they took Darrent instead of Justin Miller because Miller only did kick returns, where as Darrent did punt and kick returns. Darrent is alot faster and elusive, so he's going to help us out so much on special teams. He's our dante hall but better i hope.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X