Draft Picking Ability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bronx_2003
    so whick DL player would you of drafted at #56?
    For this particular team and with our particular need for a pass rushing DT, I would have stayed at 25 and drafted Mike Patterson.

At 56, I would have taken Justin Tuck in heartbeat. He had no business slipping that far.

Comment

Originally posted by kryomid
      The Broncos have had some busts ... and some successes. It seems like the real difference between us and a team like the Patriots, is not the success in the draft... but through free agency. We've not had a high first round pick in a long time... so haven't been able to land one of the 10 or so "sure things" that are there any given year.

But we've also gotten decent production out of undrafted free agents, and late rounders.

This year we had a few chioces... in a mediocre draft class... next year, more picks, earlier picks = a easier draft to judge...

This season, with the offensive firepower we will be playing against (tough schedule), it's not going to come down to whether or not our draft was sufficient... it's all gonna rely on the veterans we've added on defense... and whether or not they improve us...

We haven't had a top 10 pick in 14 years....14 ! and yet during that time we've drafted:

Clinton Portis
      Reggie Hayword
      Deltha O'Neal
      Mike Anderson
      Ian Gold
      Al Wilson
      Brian Griese
      Trevor Pryce
      Dan Neil
      John Mobley
      Terrell Davis
      Tom Nalen
      Jason Elam

not a bad list... and these are just the best of them... there were several others that produced... here and elsewhere... and had/have good careers....

and when they were drafted??? Nalen was pick 218.... Davis 196.... etc...

there's nothing wrong with the Broncos drafts.... it's perception...and second guessing...

But his picks don't stick around of the 23 draft choice cureently on the squad the vast majority have been since 2002. Look at how many of the draft choices are bonafide starters. Mikey has filled way to many holes with FA's not draft choices.

You have nine listed as good/great players, yet Mikey has drafted a total of 84 players since he got here. Of you NINE listed 2 were already here in 1995 leaving 7 Mikeys choices out of 84 a 1 to 12 ratio. NOT remotely good.

Mikey has done great things as coach taken other peoples rejects (FA) and molded them into a winning team. He coach with the best of them HE SUCKS when it comes to the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Reichert113
        i dont care what he did in marshall cause the fact of the matter is he isnt producing in the nfl
        Originally posted by Jrhampton
        Considering asshley had like 35 and 37 catches in his first two year and he got a much higher score you need to rethink this one. Watts should have at leasta s high a score as asshley would have.
        I really hate to make you guys look stupid but....wait, no I don't. Here's some proof that neither of you have absolutely any idea what you are talking about.

Below is a list of some highly productive receivers and their rookie year stats. All had roughly the same opportunities Watts did, most started as 3rd receivers, and generally started about as many games. Some more, some less. Some got more balls thrown their way, and some less. I also included Rod's rookie year (actually sophomore year, since he spent a year on the practice squad).

Year..... Team ......................G .....GS.... No...... Yards...... Avg...... Lg ....TD ....20+.... 40+ ...FD

Darius Watts
        2004 Denver Broncos.........16...... 2...... 31.......385.......12.4......28......1.......3.... ..0.......19

Reggie Wayne
        2001 Indianapolis Colts......13......9......27.........345......12.8 ......43.......0...... 6...... 1...... 19

Javon Walker
        2002 Green Bay Packers....15......2.......23.......319......13.9. .....30.......1.......6......0.......14

Terrell Owens
        1996 San Francisco 49ers..16.......10.......35.......520.......14.9.. ....46......4......7.......2........23

Chad Johnson
        2001 Cincinnati Bengals......12.......3.......28........329....... 11.8.......28.......1.......3......0.......22

Isaac Bruce
        1994 L.A. Rams.....................12.......0......21....... 272......13.0.......34......3......1......0....... 16

Rod Smith
        1995 Denver Broncos...........16.......1.......6.......152.... ...25.3.......43.......1......4......1......5

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you have it. Now, while you are "rethinking this one" about how he "isn't producing in the NFL", I will be thanking my lucky stars that numbskulls like you aren't running the organization.

Shutdown!

Comment

Originally posted by Superchop7
          If NE needs a tackle, they draft a tackle, if we need a tackle, we draft a linebacker, this, in a nutshell, is the difference between the Bronco's and the Patriots. They fill holes via the draft, they make linemen a priority in the draft, they complete their team via the draft.
          Drafts from 2000,2001,2002,2003 produced 9 starters (almost half the team) for New England, the same drafts produced 6 starters (close to a quarter of the team)for the Bronco's. (You will notice that I only went to 03 to allow for Mike Shannahans learning curve) The only teams that drafted worse in those years were the Giants, Cowboys, and Bucs. (5 starters)
          Think about it, New England produced 9 starters "at positions of need".
          Now, let's look at the Ravens, who have a different philosophy, they tend to take the highest rated guy on the board, in those same years they produced 12 starters, which is outstanding, but, they can't beat the Patriots, why?, they don't fill positions of need, when they really needed offense, they drafted a defensive guy.
          What we do, well, I guess I shouldn't even say that, I don't know what we do, we don't draft for need and we don't take the highest rated player, when Baltimore picks I usually know who they drafted, when Denver picks I go scrambling for my draft guide.
          Denver is very fortunate to have an owner like Pat Bowlen, we are a good team because he isn't stingy with a buck, he is as big a part of Denvers success as anyone in the organization, if it wasn't for free agency we would be a horrible team, we do win alot of games because Mike is a helluva game planner, I give him kudo's as well, but, we are lacking in the draft department, that is my number one complaint, 28 teams are doing a better job than us .and sooner or later it catches up to you.
          Despite the lack of punctuation this is a VERY WELL thought out analysis.

You hit the nail on the head! I was struck in looking at the Patriots' draft picks all together like that by how GOOD some of those players were. The Pats simply picked up some great players at positions of need. They correctly identified weaknesses and filled them.

We shouldn't criticize this thread too much. It's a good idea. Horribly executed due to bias, but a good idea.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Perry1977
            I really hate to make you guys look stupid but....wait, no I don't. Here's some proof that neither of you have absolutely any idea what you are talking about.

Below is a list of some highly productive receivers and their rookie year stats. All had roughly the same opportunities Watts did, most started as 3rd receivers, and generally started about as many games. Some more, some less. Some got more balls thrown their way, and some less. I also included Rod's rookie year (actually sophomore year, since he spent a year on the practice squad).

Year..... Team ......................G .....GS.... No...... Yards...... Avg...... Lg ....TD ....20+.... 40+ ...FD

Darius Watts
            2004 Denver Broncos.........16...... 2...... 31.......385.......12.4......28......1.......3.... ..0.......19

Reggie Wayne
            2001 Indianapolis Colts......13......9......27.........345......12.8 ......43.......0...... 6...... 1...... 19

Javon Walker
            2002 Green Bay Packers....15......2.......23.......319......13.9. .....30.......1.......6......0.......14

Terrell Owens
            1996 San Francisco 49ers..16.......10.......35.......520.......14.9.. ....46......4......7.......2........23

Chad Johnson
            2001 Cincinnati Bengals......12.......3.......28........329....... 11.8.......28.......1.......3......0.......22

Isaac Bruce
            1994 L.A. Rams.....................12.......0......21....... 272......13.0.......34......3......1......0....... 16

Rod Smith
            1995 Denver Broncos...........16.......1.......6.......152.... ...25.3.......43.......1......4......1......5

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you have it. Now, while you are "rethinking this one" about how he "isn't producing in the NFL", I will be thanking my lucky stars that numbskulls like you aren't running the organization.

Shutdown!
            finally! someone with a bit of common sense who doesnt yell oh my god he wasnt a pro bowler as a rookie, lets cut him ...

i totally agree about the fact that a rookie season does not make or break a guy's career, if he takes 3 years to develope and eventually turn to a HOFer he'll be remembered as a HOFer not as a guy who took 3 years to develope

people have to remember that its a huge step going from the college game to the pros, a minority can step in and rise to the challenge, some need to acclimatise themselves in the league, its different for everybody, so dont go jumping on someone's back just because they were less than stellar last year

i also believe watts caught more passes and was more productive than some of the 1st round receivers did last season
            Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
            http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

I adopt Erica Weston

Comment

Working...
            X