X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rcsodak
    replied
    I dunno.....

....any chef/faider/bolts fans around that can give us their real-life thoughts??????

Leave a comment:

• PRBronco
    replied
    Originally posted by topscribe
    Huh?
    It's from napoleon dynamite, you should watch it, it's funny, but don't be on the lookout for a plot.

Leave a comment:

• topscribe
    replied
    Originally posted by Cugel
    There's not even any question about this! The worst thing about losing teams is that they start to EXPECT to lose! Losing becomes psychologically acceptable -- and then next thing you know you're the New Orleans Saints, the Lions, the Cardinals, etc.

Somewhere in the back of their minds, they are looking for that one bad play that starts the slide.

In short it doesn't take long to become a LOSING team. Losing teams have high draft picks, but they don't win championships.

Almost the only way you can turn that situation around is to clean house and start from scratch with a new coach and all new players. That takes years and it doesn't always work.

Tanking for the season to get a high draft pick sounds good, but the NFL isn't Madden 2005! The mind plays a huge part.

Are the Patriots players really that much more talented than the rest of the league? NO! But they have the expectation when they take the field that they will win. And more often than not they live up to that expectation. They're not afraid of anything, don't get down on themselves when a play or a series goes against them, support their teammates, listen to their coaches and do what they're told.

Winning breeds winning. And it all starts with attitude.
    Good points, Cugel. (In fact, points to you.) I remember an interview of Raider FG Kicker/QB George Blanda, back in the early '70s, when they were winning so much . He said the difference between those Raiders and other teams were that most other teams took the field hoping to win. The Raiders, he continued, knew they were going to win.

One game at a time. You can build an expectation for one game, far easier than you can for a season. Win that game. Only then do you worry about anything after that.

Leave a comment:

• TXBRONC
    replied
    Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56
    Ok, quick theoretical question:

After 8 weeks of the season your team (the Broncos) sits at 2-6 with a tough remaining schedule and numerous starters injured. Do you:

A) Attempt to turn around your season and make a late playoff push to try to grab a wildcard spot however unlikely?

B) Scrap the season and play for draft position?

C) Just keep chugging along and maybe hope to catch a couple breaks and finish 5-11 or 6-10?

I know what the "party line" answer you give the media is, but I want to know what you guys really think about it. Support your answer with a persuasive argument.

Okay, now what would you rather we did as a fan?
    At 2-6 more than likely you're not mathmatically out of the race so you continue to play hard and maybe turn things around. Look at the Panthers they were awful the first half of the season, yet because they didn't give up they only missed the playoffs by one game. Losing begets losing, winning begets winning plan and simple.

Leave a comment:

• Cugel
    replied
    "A" hands down, every time. You don't give up. You don't quit. It doesn't matter if you are in the 4th quarter and down 28. It doesn't matter if you are 1-14 and playing your last game. If you can't win the big battle, you win as many little ones as you can. You show your coaches, your teammates, your opponents, your parents, siblings, friends, wives, and YOURSELF that you have the HEART of a champion, if not the body.

But in this case there is a mathematical chance. If there is a mathematical chance, there is a chance, regardless of how slim. Teams have been down and caught fire before. What's the chance of winning out and grabbing a wildcard? Slim--if your glass is half empty. What's the chance of winning the next game? Well, much better by odds. That is all you have to do: Win the next game. You don't have to win anything else, just the next game. If you win out, maybe there's a championship in it. If not, you walk away with your pride--and pride is far more valuable to a living human being than a brass trophy and a few more bucks. That is, if you hold the right values.

Oh yes, one more thing: You don't play for the draft; you draft for the win. The draft comes next year. You win today. That's the name of the game.
    There's not even any question about this! The worst thing about losing teams is that they start to EXPECT to lose! Losing becomes psychologically acceptable -- and then next thing you know you're the New Orleans Saints, the Lions, the Cardinals, etc.

Somewhere in the back of their minds, they are looking for that one bad play that starts the slide.

In short it doesn't take long to become a LOSING team. Losing teams have high draft picks, but they don't win championships.

Almost the only way you can turn that situation around is to clean house and start from scratch with a new coach and all new players. That takes years and it doesn't always work.

Tanking for the season to get a high draft pick sounds good, but the NFL isn't Madden 2005! The mind plays a huge part.

Are the Patriots players really that much more talented than the rest of the league? NO! But they have the expectation when they take the field that they will win. And more often than not they live up to that expectation. They're not afraid of anything, don't get down on themselves when a play or a series goes against them, support their teammates, listen to their coaches and do what they're told.

Winning breeds winning. And it all starts with attitude.

Leave a comment:

• jletourneau
    replied
    "A", hands down.

You can't put any mindset into a team other than pouring your heart and soul into everything they do. This is why we admire and elevate players like Al Wilson and Rod Smith.

If you allow your team or organization to get comfortable in any situation, even victory, then you've lost your edge. Complacency will flood water on the wood that is meant for a fire, then it will take much longer to get it to burn again.

Leave a comment:

• topscribe
    replied
    Originally posted by PRBronco
    Sorry to take this thread off topic, but I just had to mention that all I thought of when I read the title was:
    "how many of 'em did you kill Napoleon?"
    "Like 50 of 'em, they kept attacking my cousins, what would you do? Gaahhh!"

Ok, sorry, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
    Huh?

Leave a comment:

• PRBronco
    replied
    Sorry to take this thread off topic, but I just had to mention that all I thought of when I read the title was:
    "how many of 'em did you kill Napoleon?"
    "Like 50 of 'em, they kept attacking my cousins, what would you do? Gaahhh!"

Ok, sorry, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Leave a comment:

• topscribe
    replied
    Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
    Yeah, I see what your saying. I can see the difference.

I don't understand in sports how teams can just let a season go(not that it happens alot, but I'm sure there have been instances). I mean, what kind of message does that say to the players, and fans? "We don't care about you?"

maybe I'm wrong I don't know.

I look at Carolina's situation last year, like someone pointed out. They were a defeat in the last week of making the playoffs after starting out 1-7. How cool would it feel to be the team that overcame that kind of deficit?

Remember the Miami/NYJets Monday Night football game like 4 years ago or so? How cool would it be, to be at war with your teammates, losing like 35-3 in the fourth quarter(or whatever the ridiculous score was), and coming back, in a Monday night atmosphere like that, to win the game?

Even how you stated, if you have a record of 1-14, you wanna win that last game. Win or lose, I'll take heart and backbone as priorities on my team anyday. Because sooner or later, it's those kind of teams that become winners.
    Yes, you know, those Carolina boys may have been disappointed that they didn't make the playoffs, but they could in no way been disappointed in themselves. That was a true accomplishment, and I hope they have the attitude that they will take its memory with them into life. Moreover, with that kind of blood and guts approach, watch out for them this year?

Another example was that of those Raiders. It was back in . . . oh, I dunno . . . 1980, maybe? They were having a miserable time, and I was popping open my favorite brew (yes, I was old enough then). Then something happened. Stinkin' jerks caught fire soon enough to make Wildcard, and they went on to win the entire shootin' match! (Kinda gripes my butt today: Those 1997 Broncos were the second and last team to go from Wildcard to SB champions--the first being the Raiders, of all teams!) But you have to hand it to Upshaw, Shell, and company: they had cajones. I will always admire (and hate) that team. The 1980 (?) Raiders and the 1997 Broncos have at least one thing in common: A very special championship, based on a blood & guts, "one of us is going to die today" attitude. But they have nothing over on those Karolina Kardiac Kids in terms of being MEN.

Still awake?

Leave a comment:

• ReleaseTheBeast7
    replied
    Well, if I was coach... My team wouldn't be put in that situation so I don't have to worry.

Leave a comment:

• silkamilkamonic
    replied
    Good comment--very good comment--other than the "A" and "C" comparison. IMHO, "C" seems to connote whining a "well, we'll try but . . . , " whereas the "A" person says, "I may or may not win this thing, but you're damn sure going to know you've been in a fight." Make sense?

Yeah, I see what your saying. I can see the difference.

I don't understand in sports how teams can just let a season go(not that it happens alot, but I'm sure there have been instances). I mean, what kind of message does that say to the players, and fans? "We don't care about you?"

maybe I'm wrong I don't know.

I look at Carolina's situation last year, like someone pointed out. They were a defeat in the last week of making the playoffs after starting out 1-7. How cool would it feel to be the team that overcame that kind of deficit?

Remember the Miami/NYJets Monday Night football game like 4 years ago or so? How cool would it be, to be at war with your teammates, losing like 35-3 in the fourth quarter(or whatever the ridiculous score was), and coming back, in a Monday night atmosphere like that, to win the game?

Even how you stated, if you have a record of 1-14, you wanna win that last game. Win or lose, I'll take heart and backbone as priorities on my team anyday. Because sooner or later, it's those kind of teams that become winners.

Leave a comment:

• topscribe
    replied
    Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
    A)

..for me it's a no-brainer. You never ever play to lose a game, no matter what the situation is. Winning is a state of mind.

Also, from a fan standpoint, I feel Denver "owes" it to me to play with the best of their ability. If I'm forking out money to attend games, buy souvenoirs, support the organization, whatever, they owe it to me to put the best product they can out on that field. That doesn't always translate to winning, but that does translate into giving us fans the best product they possibly can.

I guess looking at your choices I don't see much of a difference between A) and C).
    Good comment--very good comment--other than possibly the "A" and "C" comparison. IMHO, "C" seems to connote whining a "well, we'll try but . . . , " whereas the "A" person says, "I may or may not win this thing, but you're damn sure going to know you've been in a fight." Make sense?

Leave a comment:

• silkamilkamonic
    replied
    A)

..for me it's a no-brainer. You never ever play to lose a game, no matter what the situation is. Winning is a state of mind.

Also, from a fan standpoint, I feel Denver "owes" it to me to play with the best of their ability. If I'm forking out money to attend games, buy souvenoirs, support the organization, whatever, they owe it to me to put the best product they can out on that field. That doesn't always translate to winning, but that does translate into giving us fans the best product they possibly can.

I guess looking at your choices I don't see much of a difference between A) and C).

Leave a comment:

• KnightOLB53
    replied
    I would go with A the panthers showed us going 1-7 to being one game close to the playoffs was very possiable.

Leave a comment:

• Battlex
    replied
    I'd say c. Thats just the best thing to do

Leave a comment:

Working...
X