• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Broncos '05 Draft Review

Here

It's fairely well made.

That's a good description.

My only issue is he ignores that the Broncos chose CBs that generally were considered reaches behind OTHER CBs that were considered more talented, let alone other positional players.

He never considered value but I suppose he was not rating the draft, just describing the philosophy behind it.

Comment

What he's basically saying about the DB's is what I've been saying - we would be happy if any one of the three works out. Kind of the same with Clarrett - we hope for the best but don't count on it. Basically, he's saying what a lot of us are - we did as well as or even better than expected considering where we were picking.

Comment

The team can only break camp with 46 guys right? Everyone else has to be resigned to the practice squad after they've been cut? If that's the case, which veteran gets cut to make room for the new hotshot everybody wants? Look at the roster and remove the players added after April 24th and see what positions body's could realistically be added to (considering no one added would even start)-RB, interior line, S, they added a punter for good measure, and corner. But no ones commenting about those outside of corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
          That's a good description.

My only issue is he ignores that the Broncos chose CBs that generally were considered reaches behind OTHER CBs that were considered more talented, let alone other positional players.

He never considered value but I suppose he was not rating the draft, just describing the philosophy behind it.
          yeh it was an overview of why we drafted the way we did but not actually grading the picks

in some ways, the draft for the broncs this year was basically a crapshoot and they hoped that by getting 3 CB's, one of them will turn out good, and if one does become a significant contributor then their strategy will be somewhat justified but if all 3 become flops then there isnt much more to say

as for maurice clarett, its clear that he is a bit of an enigma, he has the talent but its the old addage of talent vs off the field issues, if he really has matured like he says he has and if the coaches can keep him on a short leash then he'll be fine and probably could turn out to be a decent value pick at the bottom of the 3rd

and i agree with what the article said, our day 2 was actually good considering we had 2 picks, we tried to fill the positions of need and and with chris myers, that immediately increases the depth in the OL (plus if he can backup center, guard AND tackle, it could save us a roster spot) and the punter/kicker is intriguing, i dont doubt that he can kickoff as well as punt like what we want out of our punters, so it was a good pickup
          Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
          http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

I adopt Erica Weston

Comment

Originally posted by db32
            The team can only break camp with 46 guys right? Everyone else has to be resigned to the practice squad after they've been cut? If that's the case, which veteran gets cut to make room for the new hotshot everybody wants? Look at the roster and remove the players added after April 24th and see what positions body's could realistically be added to (considering no one added would even start)-RB, interior line, S, they added a punter for good measure, and corner. But no ones commenting about those outside of corner.
            Leseur and Browner are being moved to safety so we don't have as many corners as we thought.
            BRONCOS fan is in my blood!
            IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/vannote/cutlersig.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

This guy is being very diplomatic, but the facts speak for themselves. Regarding the Broncos top draft pick Darient Williams, note his conclusion: "While he probably won't be much more than a nickel back at the pro level he also brings some added value as a return man. . . "

If it is accepted before he ever takes the field that your top draft pick will NEVER break into the starting lineup, (mainly because he's 5'8" and has to stand on a high-chair to reach the dinner-table) that's NOT good folks.

If you buy this argument, and I haven't seen anything to contradict it, then you have to accept that, contrary to the homer sentiment on these boards, this was a VERY POOR DRAFT!

There's simply no way round that conclusion!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                This guy is being very diplomatic, but the facts speak for themselves. Regarding the Broncos top draft pick Darient Williams, note his conclusion: "While he probably won't be much more than a nickel back at the pro level he also brings some added value as a return man. . . "

If it is accepted before he ever takes the field that your top draft pick will NEVER break into the starting lineup, (mainly because he's 5'8" and has to stand on a high-chair to reach the dinner-table) that's NOT good folks.

If you buy this argument, and I haven't seen anything to contradict it, then you have to accept that, contrary to the homer sentiment on these boards, this was a VERY POOR DRAFT!

There's simply no way round that conclusion!
                I also think its a poor draft. However we cant predict how successful any of these guys will be. Portis was considered a reach. So was Bell. I hate how Shanny drafts, but I respect him for not buying into what everyone else thinks about a player. How do ppl know if a player is a reach? Some guys selected in the later rounds will become starters. Maybe those guys should have been selected earlier, and the early round busts should have fallen.

Comment

Originally posted by bleedbluorange
                  I also think its a poor draft. However we cant predict how successful any of these guys will be. Portis was considered a reach. So was Bell. I hate how Shanny drafts, but I respect him for not buying into what everyone else thinks about a player. How do ppl know if a player is a reach? Some guys selected in the later rounds will become starters. Maybe those guys should have been selected earlier, and the early round busts should have fallen.
                  I don't know why you would respect him for "not buying into what everyone else thinks about a player.. . ." What's the value in that?

It reminds me of a comedy sketch:

"Captain, are you telling me you don't need a sea chart?
                  "Well, there's a difference of opinion on that."
                  "What's the difference of opinion?"
                  "All the other captains say you do. I say you don't."

If you then get lost, which opinion was correct?

If Shanahan picks a bunch of guys who nobody else had rated as highly and they turn out to be Terrell Davis, then he's a genius. If they turn out to be busts, and a lot of them HAVE turned out to be busts over the last 5 years, then Shanahan certainly DOESN'T get any credit for rating them higher than everyone else or "not buying into what others think".

Instead he is shown to be a draft-FOOL who can't find his pants with both hands.

If you think Shanahan's drafting the last 7 years has been so great take a closer look!:

LINK
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm not particularly thrilled w/our draft; however, I think we have to accept it for what it actually was: help on special teams + depth at certain positions.

Comment

OL the best player we selected

The funny thing about this article was the opinion that it will come down to Clarrett and if one of the CB works out.

I think the guy who will be our best player out of this draft will be Chris Myers the OL from Miami.

Comment

As several on in Broncomania know, I disdain criticism of punctuation, grammar, and spelling. But that is toward other members. This guy who wrote the article, however, is a professional writer, so his punctuation stinks. It took effort to keep from losing interest in it.

Nonetheless, the writer displayed unusual optimism toward Denver's draft choices. That was good to see. He also joined the near consensus that Myers was a steal at where he was selected--at least he implied it. He also had very positive things to say about Clarett's tremendous upside. His implied conclusion that, while not spectacular, the draft was solid for the limited number of picks.

The writer painted a pretty accurate picture, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by eabort
                          The funny thing about this article was the opinion that it will come down to Clarrett and if one of the CB works out.

I think the guy who will be our best player out of this draft will be Chris Myers the OL from Miami.
                          i think everyone was so blown away by the clarett pick, they dont seem to concentrate on much else, especially with the fact that day 2 picks seem to get ignored but i agree that chris myers could be a real good player for our OL

but in terms of the skill positions, i would be pretty happy if we hit 1 of 3 with the CBs and clarett reward our boom or bust pick with some production
                          Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
                          http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

I adopt Erica Weston

Comment

Despite what everyone thinks, about one of our cb's turning out good, they will all turn out to be solid players. If Williams wont turn out, he will be a constant special teamer with some time in dime packages. Paymah has a great shot due to his size and speed, he excels in man coverage which the Broncos use alot. Foxworth is a very hard worker which can translate to success on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by ttejuco
                              Despite what everyone thinks, about one of our cb's turning out good, they will all turn out to be solid players. If Williams wont turn out, he will be a constant special teamer with some time in dime packages. Paymah has a great shot due to his size and speed, he excels in man coverage which the Broncos use alot. Foxworth is a very hard worker which can translate to success on the field.

Ahh yes, but they said the same great things about Willie Middlebrooks and Deltha O'neal and all the other CBs we've drafted through the years. I'm going to have to actually see Shanahan land a successful impact CB before I'll ever believe it will happen. He tends to reach for all his CBs (outside Deltha Oneal) so, we'll see if this year is the year that we get the CB monkey off our back.

As a fan, I hope so. As a realist, I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Working...
                              X