Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoDenver
    replied
    this is about the same argument as speed in the nfl. no, not the one that is a violation, but the one that's the ability to run fast. i've heard people say, "he's too slow... he only runs a 4-7 40." i'll take a Mike Williams running a 4-7 40 over quite a few receivers in the league and he hasnt even suited up yet.

in my opinion, height is a factor. everything's a factor though, not the fact that the guy is tall, but hieght being a short guy as well. wether he's short or tall makes a difference man, that meaning.. height is a factor. speed's a factor too. he could be slow and strong as hell or super fast but goes down when someone grabs his shoelace. too many factors, if you ask me.

Leave a comment:

• Javalon
    replied
    Height matters but it doesn't mean a shorter player can't overcome it.

If this is in reference to our 2nd round pick, Darrent Williams, then don't sweat it. According to NFL.com, he's 5'8". Too short for a cornerback some will say. But one of the best to play the game at cornerback was Darrell Green who was 5'9".

You can't tell me that a 5'9" cornerback could be one of the best in the biz but a 5'8 cornerback can't play the game. Being a bit shorter is a disadvantage but enough athleticism can overcome it.

Williams has a 39.5" vertical leap. A tall receiver like Mike Williams only has a 37" vertical leap. That's the small guy's athleticism taking away the tall guy's height advantage.

But I'm not say Darrent will overcome his height disadvantage, rather I'm just saying it's possible for him to do so. He still needs the skill to go with the physical abilities and that is of yet unproven.

Leave a comment:

• myoung
    replied
    Originally posted by rugbythug
    I am so sick of hearing how one player is so much better than another because of his height. That is such a bunch of crap. Football comes down to speed and body control. Why do Harrison and Moss Dominate as recievers? Because the have speed and body control. Wherever the ball is they go get it. Only in the last 10 yards of the field is height even a factor-and then only as much as the QB's ability to take advantage.

Sit down and watch a football game-(I know it will be tough to do) Now please chart the height of each pass when caught. 90% of balls are going to be caught 6 foot or lower. The additional 10% are going to piss off your recievers.
    You are correct that 90% of the balls are caught at this level; the REAL problem with your argument is the importance of the 10% that are not and the incompleted passes due to height difference. The last 10 yards of the field is key as are 3rd and short situations where height does make a difference.

Your examples are horrible. Moss dominates with his height and leaping ability (better than any receiver in the league). Harrison dominates in space. He gets open and has room to catch the ball. He does not dominate in the same way that Moss does.

Height does matter and it gives you matchup problems for key situations. I think your thread does not take into consideration important factors that exist. I think the reason that teams value hight is because of the options it gives them.

Leave a comment:

• rugbythug
    started a topic Height is OVERRATED!!

Height is OVERRATED!!

I am so sick of hearing how one player is so much better than another because of his height. That is such a bunch of crap. Football comes down to speed and body control. Why do Harrison and Moss Dominate as recievers? Because the have speed and body control. Wherever the ball is they go get it. Only in the last 10 yards of the field is height even a factor-and then only as much as the QB's ability to take advantage.

Sit down and watch a football game-(I know it will be tough to do) Now please chart the height of each pass when caught. 90% of balls are going to be caught 6 foot or lower. The additional 10% are going to piss off your recievers.
Working...
X