Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what happened when the raiders selected a KICKER in round 1?!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • what happened when the raiders selected a KICKER in round 1?!!

    this was before my time as an NFL fan (about 5 years old) and i noticed that janikowski was selected in round 1!!

    the general rule is - NO kicker should be taken higher then round 3 but round 1!!!!!!!

    i know he was projected to be a top kicker but sheesh...........

    did ANYONE have him going round 1 in the mocks?

    what was said about it after the draft by the media/fans?

    also, wasnt it a MID round 1 pick (16?)

  • #2
    It wasnt all that long ago, unless you are talking bout the Punter- Ray Guy.......

    But Janikowski was drafted in 2000 I belive, so unless your ten................
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

    Comment


    • #3
      I remember him being held a as high as kicker has ever been. From Florida state, he was supposed to make 63 yarders (like Elam) as 50 yarders...
      He was a bust, I mean a kicker from the 1st round should be something special, and he hasn't been...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MoFo_JoRo
        It wasnt all that long ago, unless you are talking bout the Punter- Ray Guy.......

        But Janikowski was drafted in 2000 I belive, so unless your ten................
        im 20 - i meant before my time as an NFL fan which is about 4-5 yrs

        so what happened?

        Comment


        • #5
          He's a good kickoff guy, and although has a great leg, he lacks accuracy from long range. Really not worth a 1st round pick at all. I still think Elam is the best kicker in the league and Vinateri is a close second. Although, I would say that Vinitari is the best clutch kicker in the game right now.
          Where does the abuse of end? Where?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Atwater His Ass
            He's a good kickoff guy, and although has a great leg, he lacks accuracy from long range. Really not worth a 1st round pick at all. I still think Elam is the best kicker in the league and Vinateri is a close second. Although, I would say that Vinitari is the best clutch kicker in the game right now.
            Your forgetting David Akers as well.

            Comment


            • #7
              You forgot to mention the "character concerns" that seem to mark every single player in the league. This guy more than others though. He was busted with a bunch of GHB (the date rape drug, forgive me if i got the abbreviation wrong, i don't do a lot of date raping), and being a landed immigrant (from Poland) there was a very real chance he could have been deported, luckily, being an athlete, he escaped unscathed. I think that was the story, if anyone has more details, please elaborate.

              I like my defensive tackles like I like my women: well over 300 lbs.
              ABWRFRC

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by PRBronco
                You forgot to mention the "character concerns" that seem to mark every single player in the league. This guy more than others though. He was busted with a bunch of GHB (the date rape drug, forgive me if i got the abbreviation wrong, i don't do a lot of date raping), and being a landed immigrant (from Poland) there was a very real chance he could have been deported, luckily, being an athlete, he escaped unscathed. I think that was the story, if anyone has more details, please elaborate.
                that is what I remember, but I think it was overanalyzed by media members looking for a good story, he never was in too much danger of being deported, at least that is what I remember hearing. As for the pick, it is the signature Al Davis pick. Never one to be mistaken as a draft guru, Davis has always had a thing for the most inruiging player regardless of grade or position. Just looking at this year, the Fabian Washington and Stanford Routt picks are intruiging prospect types taken above their project position. Two years ago, it was Tyler Brayton and "Nambi" Ashoumouga (sp), they have a history...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Al Davis had a brain fart! That's what happened! You should hear the Raiders fans talk about that one on their boards!

                  That was a wasted pick. Janikowski has come to symbolize the bizzare nature of Al Davis' draft philosophy. Other gems he's selected with top #1 picks have been Daryl Russell (#2 pick of the draft) and Phillip Buchanon (#17) (just traded).

                  To give you an idea HOW bad that pick was, the NEXT pick was Chad Pennington and RB Shaun Alexander was the one after that!

                  As badly as Shanahan has picked at times, he's not equaled that kind of fiasco! Probably his worst choice was Marcus Nash, and he was only the 30th pick overall. That's almost a 2nd rounder, so it's not nearly as bad as bombing with a top 15 pick.

                  Occasionally Davis has hit (Charles Woodson #4 pick overall). But his misses have been spectacular blunders!

                  God I love it when he misses!
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bronx_2003
                    this was before my time as an NFL fan (about 5 years old) and i noticed that janikowski was selected in round 1!!

                    the general rule is - NO kicker should be taken higher then round 3 but round 1!!!!!!!

                    i know he was projected to be a top kicker but sheesh...........

                    did ANYONE have him going round 1 in the mocks?

                    what was said about it after the draft by the media/fans?

                    also, wasnt it a MID round 1 pick (16?)
                    While the particular kick in question was bad, I think if the teams only need is a great kicker or punter, and there is one, you take him in any round.

                    In 1973, the young Raiders, who were talented but not able to win playoff games, drafted punter Ray Guy out of Southern Miss in the first round. It was teh teams most glaring weakness at that time, the kicking game. He paid immediate dividends as teh Raiders won at least 1 playoff game every season after that until 1977, including FINALLY getting over the hump and beating the Steelers in 1976 to get to the Super Bowl in 1977 (which they won). he played for 14 years and won two more Super Bowls with the Raiders. He was also a DB in college, and set a school record with 16 picks. He also kicked a 61 yard FG in college. he was just a good athelete.

                    So, if your a team who has a window to win the SB, and you desperately need a kicker or punter, get him. Don't wait.

                    Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

                    The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                    You should check these guys out

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Davis is pretty dumb, but Philip Buchanon was not a dumb pick. He is a playmaker.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jared
                        While the particular kick in question was bad, I think if the teams only need is a great kicker or punter, and there is one, you take him in any round.

                        In 1973, the young Raiders, who were talented but not able to win playoff games, drafted punter Ray Guy out of Southern Miss in the first round. It was teh teams most glaring weakness at that time, the kicking game. He paid immediate dividends as teh Raiders won at least 1 playoff game every season after that until 1977, including FINALLY getting over the hump and beating the Steelers in 1976 to get to the Super Bowl in 1977 (which they won). he played for 14 years and won two more Super Bowls with the Raiders. He was also a DB in college, and set a school record with 16 picks. He also kicked a 61 yard FG in college. he was just a good athelete.

                        So, if your a team who has a window to win the SB, and you desperately need a kicker or punter, get him. Don't wait.
                        A testimony to how much difference one player can make in an area of urgent need.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by nyfootballgiant
                          Davis is pretty dumb, but Philip Buchanon was not a dumb pick. He is a playmaker.
                          Oh, yeah! Phillip Buchanon is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

                          Did you know that the Raiders fans on the Black Hole call Buchanon "Burnt Toast"?

                          Buchanon (the #17 pick in the 2002 draft) was just traded to the Texans for a 2nd and 3rd round pick!

                          LINK "Raiders trade 'Showtime' Buchanon to Texans
                          ALAMEDA, Calif. (April 20, 2005) -- The man who calls himself "Showtime" is leaving the Oakland Raiders, and both sides appear happy to be parting ways.

                          The Raiders traded disgruntled cornerback Phillip Buchanon to the Houston Texans for two draft picks, nearly four months after he publicly ridiculed the franchise with no warning leading into the final game.

                          . . . .

                          The Raiders had been trying to trade Buchanon in recent weeks. The team talked to the Washington Redskins about the self-assured Buchanon, who typically refers to himself in the third person and arrived at training camp in 2003 as a second-year pro in a limousine and wearing a fancy pajama suit.

                          . . . .

                          Buchanon, the Raiders' first-round pick in 2002 out of Miami, went off about the organization just four days before Oakland (5-11) ended another disappointing season with a home loss to Jacksonville.

                          "I mean there is a lot of stuff that goes on here and it ain't right," he said at the time. "I am not feeling too good here. I am not happy with the organization. Things ain't good right now. I know that."

                          Buchanon said he spoke with team personnel chief Michael Lombardi late in the season to express his desire to go elsewhere. He was briefly benched last season for his poor play, but also had plenty of impressive moments that showcased his playmaking ability.

                          "The way I am feeling about the Raiders, I am not happy," Buchanon said. "I am just not happy with the organization right now. I am looking forward to a possible trade with somebody else."

                          Phillip Buchanon is a LOUDMOUTH PUNK who was trash-talking with Broncos fans with his back to the field, while his team was being whipped in Denver 2 years ago. Even John Madden criticized him and he goes out of his way not to criticize his former team.

                          He's been rolled over more times than a Juarez hooker on a Saturday night, and he wore out his welcome in Oakland.

                          That, ladies and gentlemen is the definition of a BUST, but don't take my word for it. If you want to be flamed up one side and down the other, just go onto the Raiders boards some time and start a topic about how misunderstood and underappreciated Phillip Buchanon is and what a great pick he was!
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            He's had 11 INTS and seven touchdowns in three years. Of course he's been burned; young corners are always inconsistent. Give him a year or two.

                            And say what you want, but confidence is good in a cornerback. At least he won't get down on himself and sulk. The guy has ability and the Texans are thrilled to have him.

                            And I'll actually listen to what you say about cornerback busts when you actually draft a decent corner.... really, do Broncos fans the right to tell anyone that they draft bad corners??

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by nyfootballgiant
                              He's had 11 INTS and seven touchdowns in three years. Of course he's been burned; young corners are always inconsistent. Give him a year or two.

                              And say what you want, but confidence is good in a cornerback. At least he won't get down on himself and sulk. The guy has ability and the Texans are thrilled to have him.

                              And I'll actually listen to what you say about cornerback busts when you actually draft a decent corner.... really, do Broncos fans the right to tell anyone that they draft bad corners??
                              It's not just MY opinion, did you read the article? The Raiders sat his punk ass down on the bench last season for "his poor play". That's why Buchanon demanded a trade.

                              The Raiders fans who have watched him for 4 years want him burned in oil. If you don't believe me check out their boards!

                              The Texans may be thrilled today, but they might want to reconsider when he shows up to camp in a silk pajama suit and starts trash-talking and bad-mouthing the team if things don't go his way! How much of a punk do you have to be to be run out of town by the Raiders for Chrissakes!

                              If you saw the Raiders game in Denver in 2003 you saw a Pure PUNK with NO Class! After that pathetic display he deserves NO respect at all.

                              What kind of jerk stands jawing with the fans with his back to the field, not even paying attention to the game while his team mates are being whipped out on the field? Even Madden had to comment on it: "Phillip Buchanon has nothing he should be saying to the fans while his team is getting beat out on the field." Etc.

                              The Raiders gave him every chance after making him the #17 pick of the draft, but he was a BUST, not in my estimation but in the Raiders coaches and Al Davis' estimation and they got rid of him.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X