Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now that the biggest moves are over this offseason....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that the biggest moves are over this offseason....

What would you have done differently if you were in charge of the Broncos......... (or your team if it happens to be another)
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

1. I don't know if Shanahan & Co. talked with Pryce about restructuring his deal before they put him on the trading block. I definitely would have done that before anything else.

2. I would have done the exact opposite with Herndon and Walls. Give Herndon the first round tender, and see what kind of interest Walls gets with the hopes of resigning him.

3. Send either BVP or Mauck to NFL Europe.

4. Draft Dustin Colquitt instead of Foxworth with that 97th pick.

That's about it. I'm actually pretty happy with everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by In-com-plete
      4. Draft Dustin Colquitt instead of Foxworth with that 97th pick.

That's a mistake. Colquitt doesn't kickoff, and we needed a punter that also handles kickoff duties. So he was never even an option from the start.

Comment

psychology

Originally posted by In-com-plete
        1. I don't know if Shanahan & Co. talked with Pryce about restructuring his deal before they put him on the trading block. I definitely would have done that before anything else.
        By putting him on the block they were able to gauge what he was worth, and Pryce/agent would know then as well....

Afterwards, it's very easy to work out a deal...."look, no team would give a first rounder for ya... that means the league doesn't think you deserve first round money.... you can take this deal, or we can cut ya, in which case, you know you're not gonna get as good of a deal, and would probably end up in a shoddy organization..."

or something like that.....

Comment

Originally posted by Perry1977
          That's a mistake. Colquitt doesn't kickoff, and we needed a punter that also handles kickoff duties. So he was never even an option from the start.
          I remember reading somewhere that the Broncos were one of the teams very interested in him. I guess I just figured he did kickoffs.

Originally posted by kryomid
          By putting him on the block they were able to gauge what he was worth, and Pryce/agent would know then as well....

Afterwards, it's very easy to work out a deal...."look, no team would give a first rounder for ya... that means the league doesn't think you deserve first round money.... you can take this deal, or we can cut ya, in which case, you know you're not gonna get as good of a deal, and would probably end up in a shoddy organization..."

He wasn't going to get first round money, he was going to get superstar money. He said from the get-go he wanted to stay in Denver. Like I said, I don't know if they talked before the trade talks started. If it was me, I'd be pissed if I was shopped and then asked to take a pay cut when they couldn't get a deal done for me. Everything worked out, it just seems a little disrespectful.

I just worked "get-go" into a post.

Comment

Originally posted by kryomid

But reason teams weren't willing to deal was the back injury. I also heard awhile back that other team would like Pryce but they were hoping that we would cut so that they wouldn't have give up a draft pick to get him and to say he would have ended up on shoddy team, I don't know I think that several teams with playoff potenital would have probably been willing to take a chance on him if he had become a free agent. I also doubt that when they renegotiated his contract it was that confrontional.
            Last edited by TXBRONC; 05-05-2005, 11:05 AM.
            John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

hypothetically...

... it was just rough picture from my imagination.... but given the fact that Trevor/agent has in the past been rather vocal through the media about contract issues, I think this was done in this way as a direct result.

It was a little disrespectful perhaps... but it was also ego deflating and reality defining....I do not believe the deal would have been done as easily as it was without it....

it was shrewd...

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                But reason teams weren't willing to deal was the back injury. I also heard awhile back that other team would like Pryce but they were hoping that we would cut so that they wouldn't have give up a draft pick to get him and to say he would have ended up on shoddy team, I don't know I think that several teams with playoff potenital would have probably been willing to take a chance on him if he had become a free agent. I also doubt that when they renegotiated his contract it was that confrontional.
                There's a huge difference between being willing to give up a 1st round draft pick for a player and being willing to pay him $ as a FA!

Few teams are willing to give up a 1st round pick for an established player for ANY reason at all! If you're offering a Randy Moss, o.k.! But Pryce had a bad back -- and teams are uncertain how long he'll continue to play.

So, if he becomes a FA, THEN you can offer him an INCENTIVE laden contract with performance bonuses tied to games, tackles, sacks, etc. Then if he turns out to be hobbled by injury it doesn't break the bank on a useless player, but if he returns to pro-bowl form you have the benefit.

So, the fact that no team was willing to give up a draft pick has NOTHING to do with Pryce's marketability. He returned to the team because the Broncos have paid him well in the past, he's guaranteed a starting job here, he knows and is comfortable with the system and coaches, and he likes Denver. Why should he move if he's not going to get a lot more money elsewhere?

The Broncos finally renegotiated his contract like he wanted all along so he said "sure, why not" and signed.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                  So, if he becomes a FA, THEN you can offer him an INCENTIVE laden contract with performance bonuses tied to games, tackles, sacks, etc. Then if he turns out to be hobbled by injury it doesn't break the bank on a useless player, but if he returns to pro-bowl form you have the benefit.
                  I would think if the owners were smart they would make incentive packages standard procedure. Some incentives are normally tied up in a contract, but those should be more prominent sources for "raises," IMO. That way, if you have a Moss or T.O. who rise above the pack, so do their earnings accordingly. Of course, it would not be fair to deprive a person who becomes injured in the course of service to you. That's where a Lloyds of London would be happy to set up some sort of group package with the league. What do you think?

Maybe it's kinda hair-brained, I dunno. It was just an idea off the top, but there wasn't much up there to begin with.

Comment

Working...
                  X