Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unbiased opinion

Howdy folks....
    I honestly think people are being a little too critical of the Broncos offseason moves. Don't get me wrong, I think you're going to miss the playoffs, but that's only because you are in a really tough division.... the Chiefs are legitimate Super Bowl contenders after the work they've done on defense, the Raiders will improve enough to be a spoiler, and the Chargers are coming off a very good season and haven't lost any key players.
    That said, I like the Clarett pick. He will be a very good NFL back, and he DOESN'T have character issues; Ohio State University is entirely to blame (don't even get me started on that joke of a school).... I don't understand how it's his fault that his school's coaching staff broke a bunch of rules... I'd like to see that entire program face a two year suspension, but that's just me.... And everyone says you reached for DBs in the first two rounds, but you guys NEED another corner, so whatever.

Anyway... as a Giants fan I can honestly tell you that Ron Dayne could be your next 1,200 yard back. We really never gave him a chance here... his lack of production was more a result of Tiki Barber being really good than anything Dayne did wrong. He has enough speed to break the long run, and he is hard to bring down once he gets going. Of course, he could be a benchwarmer too... there's only so many carries to go around.

I like the gamble you took acquiring the entire Browns team.... Larry Coyer could find a way to get sacks out of anyone, and those guys you picked up have the talent to excel. Of course, the problem with Courtney Brown was not so much a lack of production on the field; his weakness is that he can't stay healthy for the entire season.

And Brandon Browner.... dangit I was hoping we would sign him after the draft. Mark my words, he will be a key component of your defense in the coming years.

So there you have it: the Broncos will miss the playoffs, and everyone will say "Ha... See? I was right and Shanahan was wrong", but in a few years the pieces will come together. If you have a losing season, it's not so much a result of a bad 2005 offseason as it is the result of the Chiefs, Raiders, and Chargers loading up. I don't see you going anywhere in the AFC playoffs even if you do make it (I think the Buffalo Bills will win the conference, sleeper pick), but in the long run you've made some smart moves.

Thank you for your input. It was well thought out and well expressed. As I have maintained in other threads, we will not know how the picks will turn out, or how the season will turn out--until the teams take the field.

The best to the Giants this year. I was a fan of theirs when Reeves was there. I would like to see them chew up the Cowboys. BOY! Would I like to see that!

Edit: Well, sorry, I can't wish the Giants the best on Oct. 23.
    Last edited by topscribe; 05-07-2005, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Although we do have a tough schedule I hope you are wrong about us missing the playoffs. Otherwise what you say makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DeuceOfClub

Next!
        lol yea palease the cheifs superbowl contenders.
        Darrent Williams #27 R.I.P

Comment

Thanks for showing up..

And take the time to share your opinion with us.

One last favor:

Please, please, next season beat the Red Skins badly!!! We have some interests there!

Good luck next season.

Comment

I'd be really surprised if the Chiefs aren't a strong team this year. Say what you want, but we are all envious of their offense. They can light up anyone at any time. All that they need is a decent defense, and I really like what they've done this offseason (Kendrell Bell, Pat Surtain). And we both can admit that they got really lucky with Derrick Johnson falling to them in the 1st round.
            You guys might beat out the Raiders for a wild card spot; that offense is going to be scary but everything top to bottom on the defensive side of that ballclub is a disaster.

Oh, and for the Giants, watch out in 2006. The Eagles are sunk, I hate to admit it but the Cowboys had arguably the best draft of anyone and they seem to be loading up for this year with all those free agents (might be Parcells' last year)....

Amigo: Don't worry.... I LOVE having the Redskins in our division... they're the worst run franchise in all of pro sports.
            PS You totally ripped them in the Portis-for-Bailey deal. I'm so glad we don't have to face Bailey twice a year again... and Portis a poor man's Tiki Barber. Denver's offensive line has made a lot of backs look great, everyone knew that, and Portis wanted way too much money. Overpaying players in the salary cap era will hurt you every time... no Redskins fan has any business telling anyone how to manage their salary cap.
            Last edited by nyfootballgiant; 05-07-2005, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nyfootballgiant
              I'd be really surprised if the Chiefs aren't a strong team this year. Say what you want, but we are all envious of their offense. They can light up anyone at any time. All that they need is a decent defense, and I really like what they've done this offseason (Kendrell Bell, Pat Surtain). And we both can admit that they got really lucky with Derrick Johnson falling to them in the 1st round.
              You guys might beat out the Raiders for a wild card spot; that offense is going to be scary but everything top to bottom on the defensive side of that ballclub is a disaster.

Oh, and for the Giants, watch out in 2006. The Eagles are sunk, I hate to admit it but the Cowboys had arguably the best draft of anyone and they seem to be loading up for this year with all those free agents (might be Parcells' last year)....

Amigo: Don't worry.... I LOVE having the Redskins in our division... they're the worst run franchise in all of pro sports.
              PS You totally ripped them in the Portis-for-Bailey deal. I'm so glad we don't have to face Bailey twice a year again... and Portis a poor man's Tiki Barber. Denver's offensive line has made a lot of backs look great, everyone knew that, and Portis wanted way too much money. Overpaying players in the salary cap era will hurt you every time... no Redskins fan has any business telling anyone how to manage their salary cap.
              Well, the running game is one reason we are not envious of the Chiefs. In additon, 4,000 yards passing with 27 TDs gives us another. We do have a couple problems: (1) We need to cut down on INTs, of course, and (2) we also need a better red zone offense. However, I believe we will improve on both. (1) Jake is learning that he doesn't have to win games all by himself as he did with the Cardinals, and (2) with a year under their belts, Putzier and Watts will be better short yardage receivers, and we will have Nate Jackson back, who was just coming on when he was injured. Plus, the return to health of Mike Anderson and the addition of Dayne and Clarett gives us a lot of power back there.

No, I don't envy the Chiefs at all; we are much younger than they are.

Comment

This is getting better with every post.
                Alright, whatever. The Giants will be a good team in 2006. Talk all the smack you want. We'll see how far Plummer takes ya.

Comment

Alright, whatever. The Giants will be a good team in 2006. Talk all the smack you want. We'll see how far Plummer takes ya.
                  id take jake plummer over eli manning and that awful o-line. just my 2 cents.
                  My Broncomania Adopt-a-Bronco: Rod Smith

Elway stops, loads up, throws deep down the middle of the field and Rod Smith's got it!

America is like your team, and if your not gonna root for your team then get the hell outta the stadium.

Madden Online Record 109-90 (7-3 L10)

Comment

You'd take Plummer over Eli Manning?? Do you really mean that?
                    Seriously.... you would really take Plummer over Manning?
                    Write that down on a piece of paper and look at it in 10 years.

Comment

Hey its OK. You came in here to express your feeling and did it very respectfully. Some people wait to talk smack and start it. I hope you rip the skins, I hope everybody does, I want a top five pick. But you guys have a future ahead with ELI but your line needs help.
                      Broncos forever!! :clap:
                      \

Me and my daughter, Christmas eve 2006

My wife and my daughter, same game against the Bengals.

:wave:

Comment

eagles sunk?

"Oh, and for the Giants, watch out in 2006. The Eagles are sunk"

How do you figure the eagles are sunk? They finally got over the NFC Champ hump, had like 11 draft picks, one of the best coaches in the game and a great QB. How are they sunk?

Comment

How do you figure the eagles are sunk? They finally got over the NFC Champ hump, had like 11 draft picks, one of the best coaches in the game and a great QB. How are they sunk?
                          TO, as expected, has started with the b|tching (and let's not forget, he's 32 years old... isn't that roughly the age where wideouts start losing their explosiveness?) Corey Simon and Bryan Westbrook are holding out for more money... they failed to get a power running back... their offensive line took a big step back last year; Runyan and Thomas have been exposed as liabilities in pass protection..
                          Every player they took in the draft was a reach... They could have waited for guys like Brown and McCoy and didn't emerge with any potential stars.
                          I love them picking Mike Patterson when they could have had his teammate Sean Cody... a 5'11" nose tackle lining up over Chris Snee? I can't wait to see our 6'4" 260 lb running back Brandon Jacobs bowl him over... I haven't spoken to anyone who thinks the Eagles were smart to take Patterson instead of Cody.
                          Dawkins isn't getting any younger.. and I'm not sold on the whole "Andy Reid is a great coach". He has been a miserable failure in a lot of respects, no? He certainly doesn't do a good job getting his team prepared for big games. He's a cookie-cutter west coast offensive coordinator... not a bad coach really, worthy of a head-coaching job in the NFL, but there are much better coaches.

And mark my words, you will see great improvement in our o line this year.. Snee was a very good 2nd round pick for us last year and we got Kareem McKenzie from the Jets, one of the better right tackles in the league. Most of that shoddy O-line play was coming from the right tackle spot, if you noticed. Luke Petitgout is a frustrating player sometimes but is better than average. Of course it takes time for an o-line to build cohesion; so like I said, look out in 2006.
                          After we lost the Super Bowl to the Ravens a few years back, we were an old team... the Fassel era was over, it never panned out, and it hurt to see old vets like Armstead, Barrow, Sehorn, and Keith Hamilton leave, but it needed to be done, so Fassel was fired. Now we have a number of players who's best football is ahead of them in Eli, Shockey, Burress, Umenyiora (ten sacks this season, watch), and a really nice secondary. If we can keep both Wills and Shaun Williams healthy... Gibril Wilson was the steal of the 2004 draft and played at a Pro Bowl level last year until he got hurt (3 sacks, 3 INT in 8 games).
                          Remember the last time Tom Coughlin got an NFL coaching job? It took him two years to get the players he needed, but he built a perrenial contender, and the Giants team he inherited had more talent than he started with in Jacksonville. Remember Brunell-to-Smith-and-McCardell? Coughlin knows how to use offensive talent. And unlike Jim Fassel, he won't let players slack off and make careless mistakes. We had a really bad team last year, holes all over the roster, and we scared some people early in the year.
                          Watch out in 2006.
                          Last edited by nyfootballgiant; 05-07-2005, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sendacash
                            "Oh, and for the Giants, watch out in 2006. The Eagles are sunk"

I agree that the Eagles ARE sunk. Why? They lost the SB, that's why!

Take a look at the last 30 years! How many teams that lost the SB ever came back to win one the next season?

Don't hold your breath! It's ZERO! Most teams that lost didn't even get back to the playoffs. Since 1980 the only teams to go back to the SB again were the '86-'87 Broncos -- and we don't have to talk about what happened to them, and the Bills teams that lost the record 4 straight from '91-94.

The quickest any team that LOST the SB got back to WIN the big game since 1973 is the Pats who went from losers to winners in 5 years and the Redskins who won 4 yrs later against the Broncos in '87! And the Pats dumped Bledsoe for Brady to get there.

Losing the SB kills teams. Maybe it's the psychology of getting all the way there and then falling short. Maybe it's the law of karma. Whatever the reason, teams just don't go back and win. Not since 1973 (Dolphins) has any team succeeded.

Taking 4-5 years to rebuild basically means that an entirely different team finally shook all the bad mojo and made it back to the SB. John Elway led the Broncos back 8 years after his last defeat, with an entirely new team.

Yet every year people talk about the SB loser as being 1 step away from winning.

The ONE team you can GUARANTEE will NOT win the SB this year is the Eagles.

If they make the playoffs they'll be doing better than most SB losers in recent years. (And if you've been paying attention to the troubles in Philly w/ TO, Simon, et. al. you know the wheels are falling off the wagon there).

Don't argue with me, those are just the facts. Check for yourself.
                            Last edited by Cugel; 05-07-2005, 09:41 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Interesting facts.
                              I would add that recently the Broncos have played against the SB loser the next season, beating them.

Last year was the Broncos beat Carolina, the year before the Raiders, the Rams, the Giants.... and we play the Eagles this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X