Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R.W. McQuarters for veteran depth at cornerback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.W. McQuarters for veteran depth at cornerback?

I would feel a lot better about our secondary if we could get a relatively cheap, experienced, and decent veteran at cornerback.

I just read on SI.com that the Bears are likely to trade R.W. McQuarters really cheap. If we could get him for a late round pick and get him to renegotiate his contract, he could be a valuable backup at both cornerback and safety. Not to mention he'd be depth as a kick and punt returner and would make sure Rod Smith isn't risking life and limb returning punts.

Anyway, whether or not McQuarters is even on the Broncos' radar, I really feel like we could use one more veteran cornerback after the departure of Kelly Herndon. Anybody else out there that might be worth signing?
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Terrell Buckley

Made by Snk16

Comment

R.W. moved to safety.
      sigpic

Comment

R.W. isn't a bad KR/PR either. But, I don't see us going after any DBs now that our entire draft was DBs. 3 DBs in 6 picks and another undrafted FA.

Comment

I don't think you want RW... he's a good athlete but never really figured out how to play corner... give Brandon Browner some time....

Aren't you going to use one of your rookie corners on returns?

Comment

Originally posted by nyfootballgiant
            I don't think you want RW... he's a good athlete but never really figured out how to play corner... give Brandon Browner some time....

Supposedly our second round pick, Darrent Williams is a good KR/PR. I never count on rookies for anything, though. I don't think our FO would even look RW's direction. With all the young guys we've added, there's just no room for him without cutting guys especially because McQuarters is getting up there in age.

Comment

to sign another corner, we would most likely have to cut at least 2 of the 3 corners before the season started, that would just go to show how big of a waste drafting 3 guys at the same position on the first day was.

Made by Snk16

Comment

Get RW and let him play FS

Comment

I like RW, i'd be ok with that. We're gonna see a lot of DBs we know (but not necessarily love) get cut this year i think. Shoate, Roc, Middlebrooks, Brandon all very expendible now that we got our 4 rooks, and if we were to acquire another DB.

I like my defensive tackles like I like my women: well over 300 lbs.
                  ABWRFRC

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                    I would feel a lot better about our secondary if we could get a relatively cheap, experienced, and decent veteran at cornerback.

I just read on SI.com that the Bears are likely to trade R.W. McQuarters really cheap. If we could get him for a late round pick and get him to renegotiate his contract, he could be a valuable backup at both cornerback and safety. Not to mention he'd be depth as a kick and punt returner and would make sure Rod Smith isn't risking life and limb returning punts.

Anyway, whether or not McQuarters is even on the Broncos' radar, I really feel like we could use one more veteran cornerback after the departure of Kelly Herndon. Anybody else out there that might be worth signing?
                    I think we need to give our young corners every opportunity in the world to produce...that said, you make a great point about the versatility RW provides. He'd be a great aquisition.
                    Boss

Comment

Nah.

We have drafted 5 CBs in the last two seasons, lets let them play. The last thing we need is another Terry Pierce fiasco, where we burn draft choices on a player that rides the pine because we signed veterans ahead of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
                        Nah.

We have drafted 5 CBs in the last two seasons, lets let them play. The last thing we need is another Terry Pierce fiasco, where we burn draft choices on a player that rides the pine because we signed veterans ahead of him.
                        precisely, whats the point of drafting players if they are not going to be utilised and you signed a veteran in front of them
                        Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
                        http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

I adopt Erica Weston

Comment

I'd rather pick him up cheap if he is released.
                          Trade? Paying a punt returner/dime back(at best) $3 million dollars a season? No Way.

Here is some info.
                          http://bears.hosttown.com/lofiversio...hp/t53746.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
                            Nah.

Well, as you know, the Broncos aren't exactly perfect in the draft department, particularly at cornerback. I would like to have a bit of veteran depth at the position.

On the other hand, if we had to pay $3 million or more to McQuarters, I would definitely pass. I heard the Bears were trading him on the cheap so I was hoping his contract might be adjustable to cheap as well. But $3 million per season is probably too much to negotiate.

Oh, well. It was a thought. But I still wouldn't mind another vet back there.
                            "You can't take the sky from me..."
                            ------
                            "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by nyfootballgiant

Good point. Paymah returned a few with decent success, I understand. Seems he would provide depth behind Clarrent Williams.

Comment

Working...
                              X