Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a little high...

Originally posted by lancane
    That is my biggest problem with this JR, look at the completions? if they were 65 or better I would have no issue on the receiving corps.

65% or better? only 4 teams in the league could say that last year....Indy, Minn, KC, and TB....people get too hung up on completion %.... it's kinda like free throw % in the NBA.... if a guy shoots 60% ... it doesn't matter... as long as he hits the one he needs to at the end of the game....

Top completion % last year... Minnesota 68%

Comment

Originally posted by Jrhampton
      Maybe you were watching a different team than us?

Player G GS Rec Yds Avg Lg TD 1st YAC Trgt % caught
      Smith, Rod 16 16 79 1144 14.5 85 7 52 419 136 58.1
      Lelie, Ashle16 16 54 1084 20.1 58 7 40 198 101 53.5

Not sure what more to expect from Jake and Rod but 79 receptions, 1144 yards and 7 TD's is not grape jelly.

Boston is a riod loser we don't need!
      Either Jake doesnt trust Rod or Rod Wasnt open on third down. I dont know you tell me. Brian Griese had IT with Rod, Jake doesnt yet. Shannon Sharpe had IT with Jake. Boston had IT with Jake. Yes they played good but they can play better.

David Boston in San Diego >>>>>>>>>>> Darius Watts. Bottom Line

If we got David Boston at his worse he could be our number 3.
      A Wise Man Once Told Me Dont Argue With Fools Cuz People From a Distance Cant Tell Who is Who

Comment

Originally posted by MilitantDBFan
        Either Jake doesnt trust Rod or Rod Wasnt open on third down. I dont know you tell me. Brian Griese had IT with Rod, Jake doesnt yet. Shannon Sharpe had IT with Jake. Boston had IT with Jake. Yes they played good but they can play better.

If we got David Boston at his worse he could be our number 3.
        Or he could just be a dent in our salary cap if he gets caught using steroids again.
        I suppose if he'll come cheap he might be worth the risk but seriously, don't you think we made enough risky moves this offseason?

Comment

Originally posted by MilitantDBFan
          You do realize that Watts was a rookie last year, right?

Boston's rookie season: 8 starts in 16 games, 40 receptions for 473 yards and 2 TDs.

Watts' rookie season: 2 starts in 16 games, 31 receptions for 385 yards and 1 TD.

You can say Boston in San Diego > Watts. But until we see what Watts does in his second season, it's an unfair comparison. Besides, it doesn't matter if Watts or Boston is our 3rd receiver, Rod Smith and Ashley Lelie will still get the lion's share of the balls thrown their way.
          "You can't take the sky from me..."
          ------
          "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Luminous
            But if we were to get Boston, and he reverts to when he played his best, he gives us at least three legit wideouts, which is something we have not had for a ong time.
            Boston is alot like Ron Dayne IMO. Huge upside, with a large 'bust quotient' possibility as well.

That why Scouting Dept's get paid the big bucks

They gotta figure this stuff out...
            Three amigos was the last time.

DEN does not run a 3-4 WR set very often not in Mikeys play book. He runs two and a TE that plays like a 3, plus he runs alot of RB screens and in the flat type passes.

Unless you plan to get rid of Watts, Johnson, Jackson and replace them with a spare that could be plugged into either Rods or assshlys spot why bother?

Why everyone is thinking we need a 3rd-4th receiver so bad is beyond me. If someone gets hurt then we worry about it.

We are carrying a 2nd round DAFT choice as a spare part at MLB in case someone gets hurt.

We have the Champ as spare parts should something go bad. We can run most of the agile RB's out there as weel as PUTZ and move the house back to TE.

Lots of option that no one else is seeing. excpet thess loser WR that are being cut by their teams because they can't perform already.

We really don't need that do we?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Luminous
              ....But this is incorrect. One of my least favorite formations the Broncos use is the NO back, five receiver set.

We have TWO legit wiodeouts at this time, with each having concerns associated with them.

I think Rod Smith is thirty-five, and Lelie has not shown he can be anything more than an occasional big-play deep threat, which is nice, but he has to be more than that to become a legit No.1 receiver in the NFL.

Darius Watts at this point is nothing but potential, and what if he busts out?

Who do we count on then? Do you really think Rod Smith and Ashley Lelie is enough?

I don't, and that's why I wanted Vincent Jackson on Draft Day.

When we won the Bowls, we had Hot Rod and Eddie Mac, but we also had Willie "The Color of Money" Green as well. THAT was our last legit three wideout corp.

Don't kid yourself. Shanahan still considers himself an Offensive guru that can Master a passing game as well, and multiple WR sets are very much a part of that.

We definitely need another WR IMO, and I would look at either Freddie Mitchell or David Boston. They are at least as good as anything else we have on the roster currently.
              I understand what you're saying but it basically comes down to our opinion of whether or not to take chances on "trouble" players.

Boston and Mitchell carry serious baggage and I personally do not want them on the team. Terrell Owens is a great receiver but I wouldn't want him because of all the crap that goes along with him.

There are plenty of players in the league that have talent but don't bring the same (or at least as much) trouble in their wake. Desperate teams settle for guys like Boston and Mitchell. I hope we aren't that desperate yet.
              "You can't take the sky from me..."
              ------
              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                I understand what you're saying but it basically comes down to our opinion of whether or not to take chances on "trouble" players.

Boston and Mitchell carry serious baggage and I personally do not want them on the team. Terrell Owens is a great receiver but I wouldn't want him because of all the crap that goes along with him.

There are plenty of players in the league that have talent but don't bring the same (or at least as much) trouble in their wake. Desperate teams settle for guys like Boston and Mitchell. I hope we aren't that desperate yet.
                Boston would be a bad move IMHO. I'd have to agree w/ Jav here, tho I don't know if my morals would let me turn away TO, but surely our salary cap issues would.

Comment

My favourite move would have to be signing Wiliams and Foxworth I think there going to be big.

Comment

Re constructing Pryces deal

Sourbreun (sp)

Drafting Darrent Williams

Drafting Chris Myers

Passing on Freddie Mitchell

Comment

yea I'm glad that we got Myers, no doubt about that. Still a little worried considering who his agent is..

I'm still worried that we don't have a reliable 3rd receiver in Watts tho, I'd prefer we get a Vet on board sometime down the line.

Comment

The Broncos would love to have an Offense that is centered around the Three Wideout Set. One Tightend and A running back.

This is a formation that Clinton struggled in. He needed a lead blocker. Tatum Bell on the other hand excells in the spread formation. 3 wide. Look at tatums big runs. Single back formation. Look at Clintons big runs. Clustered or 1 fb formation.

If bell is the starter look for the broncos to use 3 wideout sets often. Tatum bell runs better behind that set. And that set has more dangerous options.

Why cant darius wait another year for rod to be retired. I would much rather have a vet in there. I like darius' game and i hope the best for him but David Boston is whats good for right now.

Way i see it, It darius is as great as yall think, he can wait another year or he can unseat Boston, Lelie or Smith. If he is that damn good. Bottom line. Right now we have competition but its not QUALITY competition. Watts wins by default because he was a draft pick.

Anyways, watch for the 3 wideout set. Clinton Portis' YPC went down a bunch in this formation so you didnt see it. And Reuben needed all the help he could get. Anybody that pays attention to game knows this is somethin mike loved to do and will get back to doing this year with Tatum Bell.
                        A Wise Man Once Told Me Dont Argue With Fools Cuz People From a Distance Cant Tell Who is Who

Comment

Best moves

1. Aquiring Cleveland's D-line. Cleveland is cursed and these guys are going to have monster years. Plus Warren, Brown, Ekuban, and Myers cost about as much as Reggie Hayward did. Brilliant.
                          2. Improve Special teams with Darrent Williams, Keith Burns, and Sauerbun (if he comes.) (Spelling).
                          3. We needed DB depth in the draft. I don't know about 3 DB's but I like how Foxworth and Williams look.
                          4. Two first rounders next year!!!!!

Questionable moves

1. Stephen Alexander TE.
                          2. Karl Paymah. Does anybody know anything about this guy???
                          3. Maurice Clarett. I would of liked Scott Young out of BYU.
                          The three Keys to football
                          1. Turnovers
                          2. Field Position
                          3. Red Zone Play

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoRT
                            Best moves

1. Aquiring Cleveland's D-line. Cleveland is cursed and these guys are going to have monster years. Plus Warren, Brown, Ekuban, and Myers cost about as much as Reggie Hayward did. Brilliant.
                            2. Improve Special teams with Darrent Williams, Keith Burns, and Sauerbun (if he comes.) (Spelling).
                            3. We needed DB depth in the draft. I don't know about 3 DB's but I like how Foxworth and Williams look.
                            4. Two first rounders next year!!!!!

Questionable moves

1. Stephen Alexander TE.
                            2. Karl Paymah. Does anybody know anything about this guy???
                            3. Maurice Clarett. I would of liked Scott Young out of BYU.

I'll add Wesely Duke to the questionable list. I don't know how he'll perform.

Comment

Working...
                            X