Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Artilce on Backup Qb's

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Artilce on Backup Qb's

    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_2740481

    Plummer's backup won't be snap decision
    Kanell, three young QBs compete for job
    By Patrick Saunders
    Denver Post Staff Writer


    Veteran quarterback Danny Kanell didn t take a snap for the Broncos last season as Jake Plummer s backup, but he has made 24 starts in the NFL. (Post / Kathryn Scott Osler)

    The Broncos know Jake Plummer is their No. 1 quarterback. They're still searching for No. 2.

    At the team's spring quarterback camp this week, four players have begun the process of trying to prove they are a capable backup to Plummer.

    In the NFL, chances are a team will call on its backup quarterback. Last season, Plummer became the first Broncos quarterback to take every snap. Only he and New Orleans' Aaron Brooks took all the snaps for their teams.

    "If you want to keep winning, you have to have a good backup in place, and one who fits your system," said Phil Simms, the former N.Y. Giants quarterback who is now an NFL analyst for CBS Sports.

    Listed as the Broncos' backup is veteran Danny Kanell, but the position is unlikely to be settled until well into training camp this summer. His main competition probably will be second- year pro Matt Mauck. Former Colorado State star Bradlee Van Pelt and Chad Friehauf, a 6-foot-6 rookie who starred at Division II Colorado Mines, are hoping to get enough practice reps to impress the Denver coaching staff.

    "What we are trying to do now is establish a pecking order," coach Mike Shanahan said. "Obviously Danny is the second-team quarterback. But he's got a lot of competition behind him, and we will find out as time goes on if he keeps that position."

    The Broncos would love for Plummer to take every snap again, but odds are against that. He missed four games in 2003 because of foot and shoulder injuries.

    "Really, you can look at the backup quarterback situation two ways," Simms said. "If you are a good team like the Broncos, one that went to the playoffs last year, then you have to have a quarterback who can come in and keep moving the team ahead.

    "If you are a team like the San Francisco 49ers, you don't mind having a guy who is a little rough around the edges. He'll suffer and grow with the rest of the team."

    The Broncos went shopping for a veteran backup during the offseason. Pro Bowl quarterback Jeff Garcia was tempted by Shanahan's Mile High invitation, but ended up in Detroit, where he is pushing Joey Harrington for the starting job.

    Gus Frerotte, who spent 2000 and 2001 with the Broncos, came close to returning, but ended up in Miami, where he hopes to challenge for a starting job.

    That leaves a group of quarterbacks with holes in their résumés. Although Kanell started 20 games for the Giants in the 1997 and 1998 seasons, he was out of the NFL in 2001 and 2002. No other backup quarterback on Denver's roster has played in a regular-season game.

    Since Kanell's time with the Giants, he's made only four starts - two for the Atlanta Falcons and two for the Broncos.

    In 2003, while battling the flu, he played poorly in Denver's 26-6 loss at Baltimore. The next week against New England, he played better in a 30-26 loss.

    "I know there will be competition, but I feel like I'm the best person for the job," he said.

    Mauck, who was the early talk of training camp last summer but ended up on the practice squad most of the season, said he has made huge strides since his rookie season.

    "I can no longer say, 'This is my first time learning the system,"' Mauck said. "I should know everything by now. I hope to make my biggest improvement as a pro from last year to this year."

    There is a chance the Broncos will pursue a veteran quarterback after the June 1 cuts, or later in the summer. But Shanahan wants to make sure Kanell and the young guns get enough practice time to prove themselves.

    Plummer said he believes Kanell has the edge.

    "They haven't caught up to him because Danny has been in the league and played eight years," Plummer said. "They haven't been thrown

    Advertisement
    Click Here!

    into the fire like Danny has, and he can deal with that."

    Kanell said he noticed when Shanahan wooed Garcia and Frerotte, but said he's going about his business just the same.

    "This is my livelihood so, sure, I notice things like that," Kanell said. "But I can't let that affect my game. If we sign guys, then great, then we'll all still compete. I'm just ready to show what I can do."

    Staff writer Patrick Saunders can be reached at 303-820-5459 or [email protected].

    ...

    Last season, starting quarterback Jake Plummer took every snap - something no other Broncos quarterback had ever done. But if he gets hurt in 2005, the team will need a reliable understudy. The battle to fill the No. 2 spot started this week at the team's quarterback camp. Here are the contenders:

    DANNY KANELL

    6-foot-3, 218 pounds,

    eighth season

    Kanell started 20 games for the

    Giants from 1997-98 and started two games for the Broncos in 2003. That experience makes him the favorite - unless the team brings in another veteran.

    Quotable: "This is the first time I have been in a pro offense (same system) for three years running, so I think that will be a huge advantage for me."

    MATT MAUCK

    6-1, 213, second season

    After leading Louisiana State to a share of the 2003 national title, Mauck wowed training camp observers as a rookie last summer. He spent most of his first NFL season on the Broncos' practice squad.

    Mobility and passing accuracy are his strong points.

    Quotable: "I feel like I'm a fairly good athlete and move around, a little bit like Jake. So I think that fits this system really well."

    BRADLEE VAN PELT

    6-2, 231, first season

    The fan favorite from Colorado State had a ragged rookie training camp and spent the 2004 season on the practice squad, but he showed flashes of the athleticism that made him such a good college player. Built like a linebacker, Van Pelt is a physical player who has made great efforts to improve his passing and learn the offense.

    Quotable: "When I get out there in a game, I feel as loose as anybody. I know I am more of a gamer, and coach (Mike) Shanahan knows it. I have that thing that I don't believe can be taught, and that's going out there and winning games, one way or another."

    CHAD FRIEHAUF

    6-6, 211, rookie

    Signed as an undrafted free agent, the record-setting Colorado School of Mines quarterback is eager to see what he can do at the pro level. In 2004, Friehauf was awarded the Harlon Hill Trophy as the top player in Division II after setting NCAA single-season records for passing yards (4,646) and completions (384). But he knows the NFL is a different ballgame.

    Quotable: "I'm not worried about my place on the team. I just want to come into the camp and learn the system."
    Last edited by dontfeedthenerd; 05-18-2005, 10:26 AM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by dontfeedthenerd
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_2740481

    Plummer's backup won't be snap decision
    Kanell, three young QBs compete for job
    By Patrick Saunders
    Denver Post Staff Writer


    Veteran quarterback Danny Kanell didn t take a snap for the Broncos last season as Jake Plummer s backup, but he has made 24 starts in the NFL. (Post / Kathryn Scott Osler)

    The Broncos know Jake Plummer is their No. 1 quarterback. They're still searching for No. 2.

    At the team's spring quarterback camp this week, four players have begun the process of trying to prove they are a capable backup to Plummer.

    In the NFL, chances are a team will call on its backup quarterback. Last season, Plummer became the first Broncos quarterback to take every snap. Only he and New Orleans' Aaron Brooks took all the snaps for their teams.

    "If you want to keep winning, you have to have a good backup in place, and one who fits your system," said Phil Simms, the former N.Y. Giants quarterback who is now an NFL analyst for CBS Sports.

    Listed as the Broncos' backup is veteran Danny Kanell, but the position is unlikely to be settled until well into training camp this summer. His main competition probably will be second- year pro Matt Mauck. Former Colorado State star Bradlee Van Pelt and Chad Friehauf, a 6-foot-6 rookie who starred at Division II Colorado Mines, are hoping to get enough practice reps to impress the Denver coaching staff.

    "What we are trying to do now is establish a pecking order," coach Mike Shanahan said. "Obviously Danny is the second-team quarterback. But he's got a lot of competition behind him, and we will find out as time goes on if he keeps that position."

    The Broncos would love for Plummer to take every snap again, but odds are against that. He missed four games in 2003 because of foot and shoulder injuries.

    "Really, you can look at the backup quarterback situation two ways," Simms said. "If you are a good team like the Broncos, one that went to the playoffs last year, then you have to have a quarterback who can come in and keep moving the team ahead.

    "If you are a team like the San Francisco 49ers, you don't mind having a guy who is a little rough around the edges. He'll suffer and grow with the rest of the team."

    The Broncos went shopping for a veteran backup during the offseason. Pro Bowl quarterback Jeff Garcia was tempted by Shanahan's Mile High invitation, but ended up in Detroit, where he is pushing Joey Harrington for the starting job.

    Gus Frerotte, who spent 2000 and 2001 with the Broncos, came close to returning, but ended up in Miami, where he hopes to challenge for a starting job.

    That leaves a group of quarterbacks with holes in their résumés. Although Kanell started 20 games for the Giants in the 1997 and 1998 seasons, he was out of the NFL in 2001 and 2002. No other backup quarterback on Denver's roster has played in a regular-season game.

    Since Kanell's time with the Giants, he's made only four starts - two for the Atlanta Falcons and two for the Broncos.

    In 2003, while battling the flu, he played poorly in Denver's 26-6 loss at Baltimore. The next week against New England, he played better in a 30-26 loss.

    "I know there will be competition, but I feel like I'm the best person for the job," he said.

    Mauck, who was the early talk of training camp last summer but ended up on the practice squad most of the season, said he has made huge strides since his rookie season.

    "I can no longer say, 'This is my first time learning the system,"' Mauck said. "I should know everything by now. I hope to make my biggest improvement as a pro from last year to this year."

    There is a chance the Broncos will pursue a veteran quarterback after the June 1 cuts, or later in the summer. But Shanahan wants to make sure Kanell and the young guns get enough practice time to prove themselves.

    Plummer said he believes Kanell has the edge.

    "They haven't caught up to him because Danny has been in the league and played eight years," Plummer said. "They haven't been thrown

    Advertisement
    Click Here!

    into the fire like Danny has, and he can deal with that."

    Kanell said he noticed when Shanahan wooed Garcia and Frerotte, but said he's going about his business just the same.

    "This is my livelihood so, sure, I notice things like that," Kanell said. "But I can't let that affect my game. If we sign guys, then great, then we'll all still compete. I'm just ready to show what I can do."

    Staff writer Patrick Saunders can be reached at 303-820-5459 or [email protected].

    ...

    Last season, starting quarterback Jake Plummer took every snap - something no other Broncos quarterback had ever done. But if he gets hurt in 2005, the team will need a reliable understudy. The battle to fill the No. 2 spot started this week at the team's quarterback camp. Here are the contenders:

    DANNY KANELL

    6-foot-3, 218 pounds,

    eighth season

    Kanell started 20 games for the

    Giants from 1997-98 and started two games for the Broncos in 2003. That experience makes him the favorite - unless the team brings in another veteran.

    Quotable: "This is the first time I have been in a pro offense (same system) for three years running, so I think that will be a huge advantage for me."

    MATT MAUCK

    6-1, 213, second season

    After leading Louisiana State to a share of the 2003 national title, Mauck wowed training camp observers as a rookie last summer. He spent most of his first NFL season on the Broncos' practice squad.

    Mobility and passing accuracy are his strong points.

    Quotable: "I feel like I'm a fairly good athlete and move around, a little bit like Jake. So I think that fits this system really well."

    BRADLEE VAN PELT

    6-2, 231, first season

    The fan favorite from Colorado State had a ragged rookie training camp and spent the 2004 season on the practice squad, but he showed flashes of the athleticism that made him such a good college player. Built like a linebacker, Van Pelt is a physical player who has made great efforts to improve his passing and learn the offense.

    Quotable: "When I get out there in a game, I feel as loose as anybody. I know I am more of a gamer, and coach (Mike) Shanahan knows it. I have that thing that I don't believe can be taught, and that's going out there and winning games, one way or another."

    CHAD FRIEHAUF

    6-6, 211, rookie

    Signed as an undrafted free agent, the record-setting Colorado School of Mines quarterback is eager to see what he can do at the pro level. In 2004, Friehauf was awarded the Harlon Hill Trophy as the top player in Division II after setting NCAA single-season records for passing yards (4,646) and completions (384). But he knows the NFL is a different ballgame.

    Quotable: "I'm not worried about my place on the team. I just want to come into the camp and learn the system."
    Kanell as the backup
    Mauck as the practice squad qb
    BVP as a safety
    Friehauf as a wr/emergency qb, ala rod smith.

    Problem solved.....
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
    men."

    -- Samuel Adams

    sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, that doesn't say much for Danny, does it? If Shanny had so much confidence in him, Shanny would not have tried so hard to get the likes of Garcia and even Frerotte (who is bad, too, IMO) into the fold. Now, QBs with no experience are going to give him a run. Actually, his scouting report said accuracy was a weakness. (HUH?) Perhaps Ryan Leaf or Bubby Brister is still available?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by topscribe
        Well, that doesn't say much for Danny, does it? If Shanny had so much confidence in him, Shanny would not have tried so hard to get the likes of Garcia and even Frerotte (who is bad, too, IMO) into the fold. Now, QBs with no experience are going to give him a run. Actually, his scouting report said accuracy was a weakness. (HUH?) Perhaps Ryan Leaf or Bubby Brister is still available?

        Not sure that Mikey is all that unhappy with Danny by now he should know the system. But he is not Jeff Garcia either.

        I think the others will be hard pressed to move Danny out because of his knowledge.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jrhampton
          Not sure that Mikey is all that unhappy with Danny by now he should know the system. But he is not Jeff Garcia either.

          I think the others will be hard pressed to move Danny out because of his knowledge.
          Well, that probably is Kanell's one advantage, and if Jake goes down against, say, the Eagles, we will need experience in there more than anything. On those terms, I can understand why Shanny was after an experienced Garcia or Frerotte. Which shows me he is not all that content, either.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by topscribe
            Well, that probably is Kanell's one advantage, and if Jake goes down against, say, the Eagles, we will need experience in there more than anything. On those terms, I can understand why Shanny was after an experienced Garcia or Frerotte. Which shows me he is not all that content, either.

            He will never be a top 15 QB but has a job, that I believe he will do well IF he gets the call.3

            Lets pray that Jake stays healthy like last year.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Jrhampton
              He will never be a top 15 QB but has a job, that I believe he will do well IF he gets the call.3

              Lets pray that Jake stays healthy like last year.
              You got that right. BTW, McPherson said Mauck has a chance to make an excellent backup QB. Let's hope he's right. But he is going to need some more time to develop. I think it might have been a mistake not sending him to Europe, but, oh well.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by topscribe
                You got that right. BTW, McPherson said Mauck has a chance to make an excellent backup QB. Let's hope he's right. But he is going to need some more time to develop. I think it might have been a mistake not sending him to Europe, but, oh well.
                After a year of learning the system, and attending his first full-time qb camp, losing that to go play with a different system could be more detrimental, imo.
                Now, for a player like Friehauf, who's never seen such speed, of level of play, if he can make it past the cut and get onto the practice squad (or IR), the NFLE would be a fantastic way for him to see what its all about.

                Just by reading the replies on the mainpage, I sense them thinking Mauck is considered a better bet at making the team, than BVP.....but that's just my take.
                "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                men."

                -- Samuel Adams

                sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rcsodak
                  After a year of learning the system, and attending his first full-time qb camp, losing that to go play with a different system could be more detrimental, imo.
                  Now, for a player like Friehauf, who's never seen such speed, of level of play, if he can make it past the cut and get onto the practice squad (or IR), the NFLE would be a fantastic way for him to see what its all about.

                  Just by reading the replies on the mainpage, I sense them thinking Mauck is considered a better bet at making the team, than BVP.....but that's just my take.
                  Well, you make sense, and so did McPherson in the interview to which you alluded. It's just that I hope Mauck gets some decent reps this year. If Kanell remains at #2, then it's going to be tough for Mauck, methinks. Yet Kanell is the only one with experience, so that seems to leave them in a "catch 22," doesn't it?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rcsodak
                    Kanell as the backup
                    Mauck as the practice squad qb
                    BVP as a safety
                    Friehauf as a wr/emergency qb, ala rod smith.

                    Problem solved.....
                    The team isn't going to keep 3 QBs, just Plummer & Kanell on the starting day roster.

                    If the Broncos sign another veteran QB in June, then Kanell will be cut, otherwise it's seriously doubtful that Shanahan would use a QB who's never started an NFL game as his backup.

                    If Plummer were hurt, he'd have to depend on the QB to come in and start a couple of games, and you can't trust an untried rookie or 2nd year player who's never taken an NFL snap.

                    Friehauf will probably be the developmental player and Mauch & Van Pelt will both be cut, since the team doesnt' need 2 developmental QBs.

                    Either Van Pelt, Friehauf or Mauch will stay, but 2 will be cut.

                    BVP has never played safety and could NOT make the team at that position. He probably wouldn't want to do it anyway. He would probably try to try out for another team next season. Maybe switch to WR in a pinch, but most likely he'll simply be out of the league after this season.

                    Every year there is a new crop of college QB's with "promise" and every year they displace the old QBs who had "promise" last year!
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X